View Single Post
Old October 20th, 2007, 9:26 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Dumbledore: Character Analysis v2

I must say that this news excited me so much, for several reasons. Mainly because I am a huge Dumbledore fan, and this reveals so much about him. It explains his lonlieness - not only for the lack of a intellectual equal, but of a romantic one.

And yet at the same time, it really saddens me, because now that we do know more of his personal life and his relationship with Grindelwald... this just adds a whole new depth. I mean, the explanation Albus gave us concerning the fight he and Aberforth and Gellert had was sad enough - but add to that the dimension that the man that was your intellectual equal, the man that you loved was the one that might have killed your sister? I wonder what Gellert's sexuality was - did he love his friend back, or was he ambivalent to Albus' affections?

People have been heavily debating over whether his secrecy was a good thing, whether it was morally right to raise Harry as "a pig for slaughter," who had no choice but to face Voldemort. And I agree, I questioned that as well. But this news makes me stop and think - what must it have been like for Albus? How would it have been to love one who may not have loved back, who may have killed your sister? How wise must Albus have been to force himself to see that the one he loved was so evil, and causing all this destruction, and that he had to be stopped, and that he was the only one who could do it? How must it have been to defeat the one you loved, and leave him helpless, imprisoned and alone, when you knew that not too long ago, you could have conquered the world together, for the greater good?

Yes, this changes my view of Dumbledore. It makes me see him as stronger, and I am all the more fond of him.

I will not say the day is done, nor bid the stars farewell.
- JRR Tolkien

Sponsored Links