View Single Post
Old April 11th, 2012, 8:15 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Feminism in Deathly Hallows - or the lack thereof v.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
I agree to an extent, but I did feel as the series went on JKR started to redress this a bit - as I've said before, I felt one of the "messages" in GoF was that Barty Crouch Snr spent too much time at the office and that was a major contributor to Barty Jnr going off the rails. Also, in DH I felt Dumbledore was portrayed as making the mistake of his life by putting his "hobbies, jobs and interests" above caring for his sister - something which he spent the rest of his life regretting.

So, while I do think the series fails to give as much prominence to female characters as male and it often fails to present mothers as people with interests in their own right, I think in the latter part of it, there's a suggestion that being "consumed" by parenthood is important for both mothers AND fathers and that fathers could take a leaf out of Molly's book.
I agree that JKR condemns child neglect even when it is done by men. However, neglect and having your own interests without pursuing them obsessively (as Crouch and Dumbledore did at the time) are two very different issues. Arthur is portrayed as a good father while still having both a paid job and a hobby (collecting Muggle things and so on). Xenophilius isn't just Luna's father, he is also the editor of the Quibbler and that's as much a job for him as a passion. James had his Quidditch even if he didn't become a professional player. Lucius has his Ministry connections and being a Death Eater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Molly, on the other hand, was a stay at home mom who probably had no more experience in dueling than what she was taught in her own time at Hogwarts - if she was even taught how to duel at all. Let's face it, she spent 90% of her time doing laundry, making meals and taking care of everyone else but herself. I'm not trying to put stay at home mothers down by saying this, I'm pointing out that Molly was probably less qualified to battle Bellatrix in terms of experience and skill level than Ginny whom she was coming to the rescue of.
I wonder why all those Aurors bothered with Bellatrix in the first place. They should have just called Molly
No but seriously speaking, I don't even get why Molly needed a kick *** scene. I felt as though the author was trying to jsutify her character and saying that she could do something other than being a stay at home mom but she chose not to. That's okay but for me quite unnecessary. I never considered Molly to be either magically weak or otherwise incompetent of performing any other job. In fact I never questioned her choice to stay at home at all. I thought she seemed frustrated at times and wondered whether she chose something that was considered proper for a woman given that in my opinion the wizarding world is rather conservative as you say. But in my view she didn't need to do anything other than what she did. I understand that motherhood is a great theme in the series and that Molly is the ultimate mother so that needed to be brought out in some way. At the same time though I would have liked her character to get some development and to have her actually join the fight for reasons other than her family being personally attacked. If she needed to fight that is.

Quote:
While I agree with the point you're making I also think that in a biological or evolutionary sense women tend to want to be with and care for their children while men tend to fall into the role of protector and provider. You do get the odd ball stay-at-home-caveman and the occasssional provider-cavewoman.
Even if that's true (and I really can't be sure that it is) there is no reason for a woman to be defined by motherhood. I would consider something like that unhealthy actually. People need to have hobbies and interests that are not related to their children even if they are stay at home parents. There is no reason in my view to have female characters defined by their relationships to their husbands, their children or their boyfriends. While Molly, Narcissa and a few other fall into the first two categories, most of the other female characters fall into the third unfortunately. In the HP books it seems as though men pursue their interests while women pursue the men...

Sponsored Links