View Single Post
Old October 3rd, 2006, 5:09 am
First Year

Re: The Unintentional Matchmaker

Chapter 5: Weasleys’ Wisdom

Tristan Bott sat alone in the Great Hall, stirring his pudding and staring off into outer space. Every once in a while he would cast a furtive glance in Pax’s direction, but made certain not to stare. No, he mustn’t stare…even though she was rather nice to look at. The way she daintily sipped her pumpkin juice, ate a muffin, browsed through the Daily Prophet; it was like watching a veela…Did he just think that? Tristan shook the thought off and continued in his moodiness.

“What has your knickers in a knot?” asked Fred Weasley, taking a seat to Tristan’s right.

“Thought you’d be up in the boy’s dormitory, working on that puking potion you promised us,” said George Weasley, taking a seat to Tristan’s left.

“Sorry, fellas, I’m just not in the mood.”

The twins looked at each other. “Temperature’s normal,” said George, slapping a hand on Tristan’s forehead.

“Pulse normal.”

“Must be a girl,” the twins sighed together. “Sorry, mate.”

Tristan pushed away his pudding and folded his arms. “It’s not a girl,” he said defensively. He sighed and ruffled his hair. “All right, so maybe it is a girl, but it’s not what you think.”

“Right.”

“No, I’m serious. I think I have an—” He looked around for a moment and blushed slightly. “I think I have an admirer.”

“Big surprise there,” said Fred, rolling his eyes.

“What?”

“Who is it?”

“Pax Ophelia.”

Fred and George stared at each other for a moment, then looked at Tristan, their expressions thoughtful. “You can’t be serious…Can he, George?”

“I dunno,” said George thoughtfully; “he sure seems miserable. Must be. Heck, I’d be miserable if a brown-noser like that were after me.”

“Would ruin our reputation,” Fred sighed.

“Oi, why would my going out with Ophelia ruin our reputation? Does everything always have to be about us?”

"So now you're going out with her?"

"Well--"

“George, I never knew you felt that way.”

“Boys, focus, please.”

“Right,” the twins said together, shooting each other dirty glares. “What can we do for you?”

“I’ve never had any trouble attracting girls when I wanted to, but I’ve never wanted to repel one. How would I go about doing that?”

“Ask Percy,” Fred snorted into his pumpkin juice.

The three of them looked over at Percy Weasley, who was trying to get his sister to eat. Suddenly Ginny jumped up from the table and went running out of the Great Hall, a thin black book tucked under her arm.

“See, he can’t even keep Ginny in his good graces,” said George.

Tristan rolled his eyes and looked over in Pax’s direction. She was talking animatedly to her raven-haired friend Sarah. Pax threw her head back and laughed, her teeth sparkling like many white pearls. She looked nice when she laughed.

“Tristan, is that—” Fred began.

“Drool?” asked George.

“Listen, have you got any ideas or haven’t you?” Tristan demanded, averting his eyes from Pax.

“All right, mate, here’s what you have to do….”

Today was Pax’s first day with Tristan Bott as her lab partner. She had been avoiding him all week, as much as she could; they still shared the same classes, as they both were studying to become Healers. Well, Pax at least was; she had a strange suspicion that Tristan’s parents had played a big role in his career choice. Why he didn’t just say “no” and quit school was beyond her. Oh well; she had better things to occupy her mind and time with than that git.

She collected her school things and headed down for the Great Hall. When she reached the main staircase, she instantly spied Tristan, who was leaning up against the statue of the one-eyed witch.

A weak “H-hey, P-Pax,” slipped out of his mouth. He quickly tapped his tongue with his wand and moved towards her.

“Oh, Tristan! I’ve been looking for you,” she lied as he backed her into the corner.

“You have?” He put two large hands on her shoulders, which he began to rub.

“Uh, yeah. I just wanted to say that I’m sorry for the other night in detention, you know, when I—What are you doing?”

Tristan’s lips were now barely an inch from hers. He snatched the knapsack out of her hands, threw it to the ground and grabbed her in a rather passionate embrace.

Meanwhile….

Fred and George Weasley sneaked up behind the snogging couple, grabbed Pax’s knapsack and pulled out her Potions book and replaced it with their own…er, rendition. They couldn’t help but stand and gawk for a moment; Tristan was a good actor: he actually looked like he was enjoying himself….

“Let’s go,” hissed George, gently setting the knapsack back on the floor. The twins tiptoed into the Great Hall and waited.

A few minutes later, a rather dazed Tristan came stumbling towards the Gryffindor table, attempting to flatten his rumpled hair. He practically fell down upon an empty bench across from Fred and George, his eyes dancing.

“We switched books,” said Fred proudly, handing the correct copy to Tristan.

“Are you all right?” asked George.

“She kissed me back.” Tristan reached a shaky hand for an empty goblet and began sucking down air.

“What did you expect?” George demanded. “Anyway, when you show Pax up in Potions, she’s bound to hate you.”

“Right,” Tristan murmured.

They finished their breakfast in silence—well, the twins did, anyway (Tristan didn’t eat anything; he didn’t think he could keep anything down.)

The group broke up and the twins headed for Defense Against the Dark Arts, muttering something about “Lockhart” and “stinksap”. Tristan smirked and headed for the dungeons.

“You’re late,” Snape drawled, not bothering to look up from the book that he was studying.

“Yes, Professor,” Tristan muttered, moving to the front of the class, all eyes fixed on him. He ignored this and took his seat next to Pax, who was furiously chopping up catepillars. “You all right?”

“I’m fine,” Pax snapped, squirting caterpillar juice onto Snape’s book. She didn’t even look up, but continued to stare at her Potions book. “I don’t understand, I’ve never heard of adding caterpillar legs to an antidote draught before.”

“Whoa, we’re working on antidotes today?”

“Flicka Root, very rare—very deadly.”

Tristan loosed his collar as beads of sweat began to roll down his forehead. “Pax, there’s something I need to tell you….”

“Not now, I’m concentrating.” Pax frowned and looked more closely at the book. “Two counter stirs? Won’t that thicken the potion?”

“Pax—”

“Oh well; that’s what the book says.” Pax added the caterpillar legs and gave the draught two counter stirs. That’s when the potion blew up.

“What’s going on?” Snape asked a crying Pax, whose hair was full of black goo. Snape gave her potion a thoughtful stare then looked at her book. “Clearly you bought this book on the black market. Ten points from Ravenclaw. Now, clean up this mess. The rest of you, bring your samples to the front of the class.”

As the rest of the class moved to the front of the room, Pax glared at her lab partner, her right eye twitching. “You! You switched books with me when we were— ” she looked around quickly to make sure that no one was listening; “when we were…you know.”

“Snogging?” Tristan laughed. But the look on her face wiped the smile off of his own. “I’m—I’m—”

“You can clean this mess up by yourself,” she hissed, throwing the Potions book at his head. “I-I’ll get you for this.” Before Snape could stop her, Pax went flying out of the dungeons, her eyes welling with tears.

“Mission complete,” Tristan muttered unhappily as he rubbed his throbbing forehead.

TASTE THE RAINBOW

Last edited by House_Elf_21; October 3rd, 2006 at 5:17 am.
Sponsored Links