View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2006, 2:29 am
First Year

Re: The Unintentional Matchmaker

Chapter 7, Part IV: The...Party??

AUTHOR’S NOTE: I WAS IMPATIENT (AGAIN) TO POST…PLUS THE PART THAT WAS INTENDED TO BE NEAR THE MIDDLE ENDED UP FEELING LIKE THE END, SO THERE YOU HAVE IT. THERE WILL BE FIVE PARTS TO CHAPTER SEVEN.

It was 6:30 p.m., and Tristan had promised to meet Pax outside of the Charms classroom at ten ’til seven. Shopping bags in hand, he crept out of the Gryffindor common room, which was (mercifully) empty. He flew down the stairs then ducked inside the boys’ lavatory, bolted the door and sealed it with every anti-intruder charm known to wizardkind. It was enough that the entire Ravenclaw house was going to see him as Lockhart, but it would be horrible if a Slytherin spotted him. Tristan shuddered at the thought.

A few minutes later Tristan peered outside to make certain that the coast was clear. There wasn’t a witch, wizard, ghost or poltergeist in sight. With a sigh of relief, he headed for Flitwick’s classroom.

Tristan’s journey went without major event, other than meeting Ginny Weasley roaming absently through the halls. When Ginny spotted him, she quickly hid whatever it was she was carrying…a bucket, as far as he could make out. Tristan gave her a smile, but she ignored him. She was apparently heading for Moaning Myrtle’s bathroom—why was beyond Tristan. Who knew? Maybe the gloomy ghost had befriended her.

These musings quickly left Tristan’s mind when he spotted Pax standing outside of Flitwick’s classroom. She was wearing a pale green gown with long, flowing sleeves, and a crown of ivy on her head. Her hair was wildly curly and wavy, with some parts pinned up and others hanging down her shoulders. Tristan gulped; this was almost as bad as the night in detention. Fortunately, he had taken a potion to prevent the inevitable stuttering that he experienced in her presence.

“What are you supposed to be?” he asked.

“What? Oh, a tree spirit,” she replied absently, not looking up from her watch. When she did look up, a large smile spread across her face. “Here, why don’t you go ahead in; I’ll be there in a minute.”

“Okay.”

“Here, let me take that from you,” Pax offered, reaching for the fudge.

“Thanks.” Tristan braced himself and walked into the classroom, which was buzzing with chatter.

“—And that’s why I say we need to skip his class,” a boy up front was saying. His suggestion was met with mixed emotions. Some were hear-hearing and other were shouting out alternative suggestions.

“We should bring the matter before Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore already knows the situation,” said a short blonde; “he hasn’t done anything about him thus far, why should he now?”

“Don’t go talking about Dumbledore like that!” another shouted.

“I’m just saying—”

“I’m sure we could get the Gryffindors to join us in ditching class; they above all people know that the man is a fraud.”

“What about the Hufflepuffs?”

“Too loyal.”

What were they talking about? What happened to the costume party? Tristan scratched his wig and looked around the room. There were pictures of Lockhart plastered all over the walls, and there was a neon caption flashing underneath. He was just leaning in to read it when he felt someone grab him by the shoulders.

“I’ve found a loyalist!” Pax’s voice shouted.

“A ‘what’? I—” Tristan read the poster and frowned; it was then that he realized what had happened: He had walked into the middle of a Lockhart protest rally.

Sponsored Links