View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2015, 6:48 pm
Snidget of Champions

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowSonic
Well, was Lily armed with a wand at the time? Voldemort killed James because he had his wand. He probably didn't see her as a threat right then and there, someone not worth his attention.

It wasn't so much a real choice to live, IMO, it was him just wanting to kill this Prophecy Baby first and foremost. Lily was unarmed and (in his mind) not a threat so he could just shove past her. Unfortunately he lost his temper and killed just when she coincidentally said just the right thing to create the love protection.
Voldemort notes that both James and Lily are wandless (James having left his on the couch after entertaining Harry). It also seems that Voldemort did indeed give Lily "a real choice to live" - see below:
DHHe could hear her screaming from the upper floor, trapped, but as long as she was sensible, she, at least, had nothing to fear... He climbed the steps, listening with faint amusement to her attempts to barricade herself in... She had no wand upon her either... How stupid they were, and how trusting, thinking that their safetey lay in friends, that weapons could be discarded even for moments...

He forced the door open, cast aside the chair and boxes hastily piled against it with one lazy wave of his wand... and there she stood, the child in her arms. At the sight of him, she dropped her son into the crib behind her and threw her arms wide, as if this would help, as if in shielding him from sight she hoped to be chosen instead...

"Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!"

"Stand aside, you silly girl... stand aside now."

"Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead --"

"This is my last warning--"

"Not Harry! Please... have mercy... have mercy... Not Harry! Not Harry! Please -- I'll do anything --"

"Stand aside. Stand aside, girl!"

He could have forced her away from the crib, but it seemed more prudent to finish them all...

However, I do agree that even if Voldemort intended to kill Lily after Harry, his giving Lily a choice that she refused in an effort to protect her son cemented the love/blood protection. James was not given such a choice. Similarly, in DH, Harry was given the choice by Voldemort to meet him in the forest to "save" his friends or to hide, in which case he would enter the battle and kill more of his friends. Harry choosing to sacrifice himself instead of others - a choice Voldemort voiced - instilled that love protection in the fighters of Hogwarts, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
If Voldemort gave her a chance to step aside I think it was because he wanted to spare her for Snape who had requested Voldemort for her life.
I agree. It was Lily's choice to die for her child rather than save her own life that allowed Harry to live. Lily would not have had that choice had Snape not asked Voldemort to spare her and had Voldemort not offered to spare her for Snape. Otherwise, I expect Voldemort would have killed James and then killed Lily without fuss (no "stand aside") before killing Harry. Therefore, Snape asking Voldemort to spare Lily (and Voldemort acting on that request) is paramount to Harry receiving the blood/love protection.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Sponsored Links