View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2015, 3:26 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.21

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Green_Woods View Post
I feel that without Snape's request, that night would have resulted in the death of a family because of the betrayal of someone they thought a friend. For me it was Snape's request that changed everything, because it gave Harry a powerful protection against Voldemort.
Sure, but it was still a request done out of selfishness, right? As Dumbledore himself pointed out when Snape said he'd only asked Voldemort for Lily's life. I don't disagree that Snape's actions were important that night, but I disagree with the implication that he was a hero in that situation in some way. Remember that Snape's actions also contributed to the family being targeted in the first place. So in my mind it's something like this: minion tells psycho about a child who might grow up to destroy him, psycho identifies child and targets him and his family, minion is unhappy because the mother of the family happens to be someone he loves so he asks for her life to be spared as psycho does not need her dead in order to fulfill his purpose. I don't really see anything heroic here, though I agree that Snape has done other heroic acts in the series.

Sponsored Links