View Single Post
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:11 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Butterfly Kisses (Sequel to Harry Potter and the Return to Hogwarts)

Chapter 2
The Talk

Author’s Note: This will be in Ginny PoV. During the chapter, I will still call her parents Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

Ginny Weasley woke up on Saturday morning. It was still early in the morning at the Burrow. Ginny could only see the sun a bit over the horizon. She dressed and walked down to the bottom floor. Her parents were in the kitchen.

“Do you have to go into work today, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked her husband.

“Only if I am unlucky, Molly,” Mr. Weasley said, his face hidden behind the Daily Prophet.

“I thought Kingsley wanted you to meet with the Muggle Prime Minister,” Mrs. Weasley said.

“I have an appointment with him Monday,” Mr. Weasley said, “You know, I think he is finally getting used to my weekly visits? He doesn’t look flustered when I Floo into his office anymore. Perhaps he has other reasons to be flustered. The new millennium begins soon, and he‘s expecting London to be packed. That is why I have to meet him. He wants me to assure him that there won‘t be any… err… I think he used the phrase ‘evil voodoo magic‘ to ruin his big party. I have lost count on how many times I‘ve told him that he has nothing to worry about.”

“Poor man,” Mrs. Weasley said, “Maybe I should make something for him. Nobody says no to my pies, you know! Morning, Ginny! You‘re up early.”

“I-I know,” Ginny said, failing to stifle a yawn, as she sat down at the table, “I wanted to get in some early Quidditch training by the barn. I thought Ron would be awake. He said he would help me train.”

“Maybe you should take a day off, dear,” Mrs. Weasley said, “I keep telling you that you’re going to tire yourself out before it’s time for the training camp.”

“I’ll be fine, Mum,” Ginny said.

Ginny had been trying to get in as much pre-camp training as she could over the past few weeks. She figured she wouldn’t have a chance once she moved up to London… whenever that was. She still hadn’t set up a date to move in with Harry. She hadn’t even told her parents that she was going to move in with Harry. Earlier in the week, she had decided to tell them sometime during the weekend. Now it was the weekend, and she couldn’t figure how to break it to them. She could tell them now: it was seemingly the perfect time. Perhaps her Mum would be too tired to react too badly.

It was true. She didn’t know exactly how her parents were going to react to her decision. Over the past couple of nights, before she went to bed, Ginny had rehearsed the discussion over in her mind. She would say it was only for her career, and she would have better access to the training camp if she lived in London. She could save the little money she got for the signing bonus by moving in with Harry. Harry had already told her that she could move in, so that wasn’t going to be a problem. Of course, she knew that Harry would never have turned that down. He was alone in his house and the only company was that neighbor of his.

Ginny hadn’t been able to talk to Harry face-to-face since George and Angelina’s wedding. He had been so busy with Auror training, that his only free time was on weekends. Of course, Ron got to see him every weekday, since he was going through Auror training as well. Ginny had long given up asking him how Harry was every day, knowing that her persistent questions would only annoy him sooner or later.

Besides, Ron was busy, even when he was home. There were very few moments when he and Hermione weren’t spending time together. It was getting to the point where Ginny began to wonder whether either of the two were getting annoyed by the other one’s presence.

Suddenly, a loud hoot broke Ginny from her thoughts.

“Frederique’s back, Mum,” she said, rolling her eyes.

Frederique was the Weasley family’s new owl. Bill and Fleur had given them the owl for Christmas. He was the replacement for Errol, whom in Ginny’s opinion was lucky to still be alive, given his age. At first, Ginny liked Frederique, and the owl seemed to like her. At least to the point where the owl chose not to dig his sharp talons into her arm when Ginny handled him. But recently, the owl’s loud hoots were enough to drive anyone crazy. The only good thing about it was that the gnomes seemed to hate it as well, and there were very few in the yard these days.

Mrs. Weasley opened the window, and Frederique flew into the house. Ginny noticed that a piece of parchment was in its talons.

“I was beginning to worry about him,” Mrs. Weasley said, “I sent him to Bill’s last night. I guess Fleur let the owl stay over for the night. It is a pretty long trip, to be honest, and Fleur loves the owl, of course.”

Frederique perched himself on the fireplace, and Mrs. Weasley left the kitchen. She returned a few moments later, reading the piece of parchment.

“Oh, wonderful!” she exclaimed, “Bill and Fleur are going to come over today. They will bring Victoire of course. I‘ve been wanting them to visit, but it is a bit of a hassle for them to come, of course. Victoire is still too young to travel by magical means. I don‘t envy Bill and Fleur. Do you remember all that travel we had to do in the car when the children were Victoire‘s age, Arthur?”

“Hmm? Oh yes,” Mr. Weasley said, behind the Daily Prophet, “Though I can’t complain. If it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t be fascinated with car engines and those contraptions.”

Mrs. Weasley muttered something, but it was silenced over the sound of footsteps from above. Ron and Hermione walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

“Good morning, dears,” Mrs. Weasley said.

“M-morning, Mum,” Ron said, with a yawn.

“Do you still want to train with me?” Ginny asked Ron.

“I just got up, Ginny!” Ron said, “Besides, I won’t be able to concentrate unless I’ve had something to eat.”

“Oh, go on,“ Mrs. Weasley said, “Breakfast won’t be done for a little while.”

“Let’s go, Ron,” Hermione said, “It will give you a good appetite, and I’ll watch!”

“Fine,” Ron muttered.

Ginny, Ron and Hermione walked out of the Burrow and up to the barn. The area near the barn was the only secluded area around the Burrow where they could fly on their broomsticks. It was surrounded by large trees, so it was out of Muggle eye-sight. A few magical precautions had also been placed over the years so that the occasional plane wouldn’t be able to come near if anyone was flying their broom.

The barn and its surroundings were also not the perfect choice for Quidditch. They could only play half-pitch Quidditch, given the size. The barn’s door and windows were used for the rings, and they were uneven and nothing like the standard Quidditch rings. And because of the magical precautions, none of the balls could fly past the tree-line nor the barn. But the Weasleys had practiced this way for many years and they were used to all the restrictions by now.

“So how should we do this?” Ron asked, as he and Ginny walked into the barn to retrieve their brooms.

“Chaser versus Keeper,” Ginny said, “And we’ll use a Bludger as well.”

“We don’t have a Beater,” Ron said.

“The Bludger can fly around wildly,” Ginny said, waving a dismissive hand, “We’ve done that before.”

“No bloody way!” Ron exclaimed, “Have you forgotten? Hermione is going to be watching us. She could get hit!”

“Fine,” Ginny said, with a sigh, “No Bludger.”

“Good,” Ron said.

Ginny grabbed the Quaffle from the box. It wasn’t a standard Quidditch Quaffle, but it worked well. Ginny and Ron walked out of the barn, mounted their brooms and flew off into the sky.

“Chaser versus Keeper” was the term used for standard Quidditch practice. Because of the home-made Pitch, it wasn’t anything as close to normal Quidditch practice and games, especially when there was only one Chaser. Ginny wouldn’t be able to pass the ball to any one, which meant she couldn’t confuse Ron. She wouldn’t be able to fly around the barn, because it was out of bounds past the door and windows. Today, it was all about skill: Ginny’s skill at accuracy, and Quaffle-throwing, and Ron’s skill of blocking the rings.

“So we play to one-hundred?” Ron suggested.

“Sure!” Ginny said.

Because of the limits of the area, the Weasleys had to make up some of their own rules. For one-on-one sessions like this, they had their own points system. Because the door was so much lower than the windows of the barn, it was harder to get the ball through it. Every time the Quaffle made it through the door, however, it would be twenty points. The two windows were ten points each. Every time the Keeper caught the Quaffle, they would get ten points if it was aimed for the windows; twenty if it was aimed for the door.

Ginny juggled the Quaffle between her hands and studied Ron’s concentration. She inhaled, and exhaled, then flew at top speeds around the tree-line. She made a beeline for the barn and threw the Quaffle toward the left window. Ron lunged toward it, and barely missed it, as it sailed through!

“Ten-zero!” Ginny said, “Me!”

“Lucky shot,” Ron muttered, as he retreated into the barn to get the Quaffle.

He threw the Quaffle back to Ginny, who caught it. She turned around and flew back to the tree-line.

“Window or door,” she muttered to herself, studying the rings. She looked at Ron, then grinned. “Door.”

She flew off toward the barn and dived toward the ground. She dragged her feet just above the ground, which was one of her favorite things to do. The thrill of it always gave her a jolt of adrenaline. She flew back into the sky. Once she was near the barn, she aimed the Quaffle toward the door. This time, Ron noticed what she was doing, and flew toward the Quaffle, grabbing it by his fingertips! Ginny swore.

“Twenty-ten in favor of me!” Ron said, grinning, as he threw the Quaffle back to Ginny.

“Nice catch, Ron!” Hermione cheered from the sidelines.

Ron winked at Hermione, and Ginny rolled her eyes as she flew back to the tree-line.

Fifteen minutes later, Ginny was up seventy to fifty. Ginny hadn’t made a door-shot yet, even though she had tried once more.

She stopped at the tree-line and flew higher into the air, then took a nose-dive as she headed for the barn. The rush of wind coming toward her was too strong for her to lift the Quaffle, and she knew she was going to have to steady herself. She decided for a surprise shot. Ron was looking up at her, probably expecting the Quaffle to come at him at any time. When Ginny got in line of the windows, she stopped to a sudden halt. Ron looked surprised, and Ginny took her chance. She faked the Quaffle toward the left window and aimed it to the right. It sailed through, as Ron fell for the fake and lunged toward the left.

“Eighty-fifty,” Ginny said to herself, as Ron retrieved the Quaffle, “If I can make a door-shot, I will win. If Ron catches it, he will be back in the running though.”

Ron passed the Quaffle back to her and Ginny flew back to the tree-line.

“I have to do this,” Ginny said, “All or nothing.”

She took a deep breath and headed for the barn at top speed. She flew as if she was headed for the windows, then twenty feet from the barn, she dove toward the ground. Before Ron could tell what she was doing, she threw the Quaffle toward the doorway. She held her breath as Ron lunged for it. He missed it by an inch and it sailed through!

“The winner!” Hermione said, “Ginny!”

Ginny and Ron landed on the ground.

“I had a feeling you were going for the doorway,” Ron said, “I should have gone with it.”

“I got lucky,” Ginny said.

“Great game!” Hermione said.

“Yeah, it was,” Ron said, “Anyway, I’m starving!”

Ginny realized she was starving as well, so she and Ron stored their brooms in the barn and, with Hermione, they walked back to the Burrow.

“Are you going to have that discussion with Mum and Dad today?” Ron asked Ginny, as they headed for the Burrow.

“What?” Ginny asked.

“Well, you haven’t told them you want to move in with Harry, right?” Ron asked.

“Oh,” Ginny said, in realization, “No, I haven’t. I guess I should do it before too long if Bill and Fleur are coming over today.”

“They are?” Ron asked.

“Mum wrote to them last night,” Ginny said.

“Figures,” Ron said, “Well, just warn me when you talk to Mum and Dad about it. I don’t want to be anywhere in the vicinity.”

Ginny rolled her eyes.

-----------------------------------------------
It was soon nearing noon, and Ginny had still delayed her fateful discussion with her parents. She knew it wouldn’t be that bad, but she still wasn’t too sure how they would react. She then decided that she would put it off until Bill, Fleur and Victoire arrived, figuring that it might be a little easier with Bill there.

Suddenly, Mrs. Weasley’s announcement rang through the house that Bill, Fleur and Victoire had arrived. She was already halfway up the driveway when Ginny, Ron, Hermione, and Mr. Weasley walked out of the Burrow. She embraced Bill in a hug, then Fleur. Ginny’s mother had become much closer to Fleur ever since Victoire was born.

“How is my granddaughter?” Mrs. Weasley asked, with joy, as Ginny and the others caught up.

“Very tired, Mum,” Bill said, “It was a long trip, but she slept most of the way.”

“She eez a very quiet baby, thank goodness,” Fleur said.

“Are you hungry?” Mrs. Weasley asked, “I’ve been preparing a big lunch.”

“Of course we are,” Bill said.

“I offered to make a big breakfast this morning,” Fleur said, “But Bill was afraid he wouldn’t have room for your wonderful cooking, Molly.”

A hint of blush rose on Molly’s cheeks. Fleur didn’t notice, as she was busy opening the back door of the car. She unfastened Victoire’s baby seat and carefully lifted it out of the car.

“Do you have to bring in the seat, dear?” Bill asked.

“I don’t want to wake Victoire up, Bill” Fleur said, “She eez still very tired.”

“It gets so heavy, though,” Bill said, “Let me take it in, then.”

“Oh, very well,” Fleur said, with a sigh.

Bill walked over and lifted up the baby seat. Fleur grabbed the purple diaper bag, and they walked toward the Burrow and everyone followed.

“Let me help with lunch, Molly,” Fleur said, as Mrs. Weasley walked toward the kitchen.

“Nonsense, you’re a guest,” Mrs. Weasley said.

“I insist!” Fleur said.

“Oh, all right,” Mrs. Weasley said, with a sigh, “It’s a family recipe. Maybe I can teach it to you, then.”

“Wonderful!” Fleur exclaimed.

Bill put the baby seat onto one of the chairs around the table. Ginny and Hermione walked over to it.

“Now, girls,” Mrs. Weasley said, almost in a scolding tone, “Don’t wake her up.”

“We won’t, Mrs. Weasley,” Hermione ensured her.

“I swear,” Ginny said, “Victoire keeps growing every time I see her.”

“Ginny’s right,” Mrs. Weasley said. “You know, Fleur, I think I have some of Ginny’s old baby clothes. They might be able to fit her.”

“Fleur’s mother has already given us some of Fleur and Gabriella’s baby clothes, Mum,” Bill said, “She insists on giving us hand-me-downs, so I think we have enough.”

“Nonsense!” Mrs. Weasley said again, “You can never have enough baby clothes! Why, when Ron was a baby, we had to use some of your baby clothes because Ron went through his quickly.”

Hermione giggled.

“Mum!” Ron said, embarrassed.

--------------------------------------------

Half an hour later, lunch was ready and everyone was seated around the table.

“So, Ron,” Bill said, “How is Auror training?”

“Pretty good, I guess,” Ron said, shrugging.

“Oh, don’t be so modest, Ron,” Mr. Weasley said, “I’ve had a discussion recently with one of your trainers. He is very impressed.”

“That’s great,” Bill said, “It is very hard to impress wizards like that. Especially Aurors. They are a rare breed.”

“That eez true,” Fleur said, “But I must wonder. The Second War eez over. The Aurors aren’t going to have much work now, are they?”

“Being an Auror isn’t just about fighting in wars, Fleur,” Mr. Weasley said, “Aurors were around long before the First War even started. While it is true that Aurors have become much more important and, in a sense, much more popular since the Wars, they still have very important roles in the wizarding world. A select few are used for defending the Ministry and the Minister himself, while others are used to defend Azkaban, though that has only come into effect recently, of course. Many others are used to apprehend the common criminal. But everyone in the wizarding world knows there will always be the chance of a new threat to us. That is why more and more wizards and witches have decided to become Aurors.”

“And even then,” Bill said, “Not everyone of them are destined to become Aurors.”

“Ron will be a great Auror,” Hermione said, “He‘s already proved that.”

Ron blushed.

“Speaking of that,” Bill said, “Ginny, are you ready for your Quidditch training camp? When is that, next month?”

Ginny nodded.

“I’ve been practicing enough,” Ginny said.

“Almost too much,” Mrs. Weasley said, “She insists on training almost every day, if not every day. I keep telling her she is going to tire herself out by the time the camp comes around. There is such things as doing something too much.”

At this, Victoire opened her eyes and started to cry.

“Ooh,” Fleur said, “I think someone needs to be changed. Excusé moi.”

“I can help, Fleur,” Mrs. Weasley said.

“No, I can handle eet,” Fleur said, standing up and taking Victoire out of her seat.

“All right, dear,” Mrs. Weasley said, with a sigh, “You can use my bedroom.”

Fleur nodded and picked up the diaper bag, then walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs. Ginny then realized that there was no better time than now to have that discussion.

“There is a reason I’ve been training a lot,” Ginny said.

“Oh?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“I just have this feeling I won’t be able to have much of a chance before too long,” Ginny said.

Ginny looked at Hermione and Ron, who nodded.

“Harry and I have been sending letters back and forth over the past couple of weeks,” Ginny continued. She quickened her words, afraid that if she stopped she wouldn’t be able to say everything. “And I’ve come to a decision. The Harpies’ training camp is much too far from here for me, and I know that between training, and traveling, I would get exhausted quickly. I can’t apparate from here to the camp and back without increasing the chance of splinching myself. And while I would appreciate it, Dad, I can’t expect you to be able to take me to the camp, as well as be able to go to work, everyday. So I think it would be best for me if I was closer to the camp. What I am trying to say, Mum and Dad, is that I want to move to London and live with Harry.”

Ginny felt that she did very well, but, at the same time, she felt as if her parents would argue with her. There was no expression in her parents’ faces, so she couldn’t figure out their reaction.

“Harry has already said I could move in with him,” she added, “So that isn’t going to be any trouble. I know that I won‘t be able to train any more because we will be so close to Muggles, and that is why I‘ve been training so much here.”

“Well, you’ve certainly thought a lot about this,” Mr. Weasley finally said, “That is easy to see.”

“I don’t know,” Mrs. Weasley said.

“Molly, it’s hard not to agree with what she’s said,” Mr. Weasley said, “It’s true. I wouldn’t always be able to take her to camp, and it is a long way from here to there. I’d hate for her to splinch herself because it was so far. Not to mention that she is going to be too tired to be able to apparate all the time, especially such a long distance.”

“I agree with Dad,” Bill said, “If Harry has already given her permission, then I’d say it would be okay.”

Mrs. Weasley didn’t immediately answer, and Ginny could tell that her mother was having a battle inside her mind. Give Ginny permission to move out of the Burrow, even though the thought of it was hard to bear? Or refuse and possibly endanger her life and the chances of a successful career?

“It wouldn’t mean that I would leave here forever,” Ginny said, “I’d visit whenever possible, of course. And you could always visit us. Harry wouldn‘t refuse a request for you to visit, you know. And I wouldn‘t leave right away. Training camp doesn‘t start for another month. I still have time.”

“You certainly make a good argument, Ginny,” Mrs. Weasley said, “I couldn’t refuse even if I wanted to. Your father says yes, so I guess I will say yes too.”

“Thank you,” Ginny said, relieved.

Before Ginny could say anymore, she heard footsteps coming down the stairs. Fleur had returned.

“Victoire decided she was hungry as well,” she said, walking into the kitchen with Victoire in her arms, and the diaper bag over her shoulder, “So my absence was a little longer zan I expected.”

“That’s to be expected, of course,” Mrs. Weasley said.

She then got into yet another story of when one of the children, Bill this time, was a baby. Bill’s face was a delicate shade of red all the way through. Mrs. Weasley seemed so attached to Victoire all afternoon, and the two of them had fallen asleep for a few hours in one of the large, comfortable chairs in the living room. Meanwhile, more discussions between Hermione and the Weasley family went on. Bill, Fleur and Victoire left a little after five-o-clock, only after Bill had to insist that it would be very late by the time they got home if they didn’t leave then.

-----------------------------------------------

Another chapter finished!

I thought Ginny’s discussion about moving in with Harry would last a little longer, but it seems everything was perfect, so I kept it at a minimum.

As I said at the end of the last chapter, I need to think of more ideas for the story before I continue this much further. I am also trying to work on my own original story, which I hope to publish in the future, so I am dealing with two things at once. So the next chapter might not be up for a while.

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! Feedback would be welcomed!