View Single Post
Old August 14th, 2009, 5:04 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Butterfly Kisses (Sequel to Harry Potter and the Return to Hogwarts)

Chapter 10
Harry's Birthday – Part 2

Author's Note: One of my faults when it comes to writing Harry Potter fan-fiction is gift giving. I've never been very good at thinking of good gifts. But I will do my best.

“So what did George want?” Ginny asked Harry, when Harry joined her on the loveseat in the Weasley's living room.

“Well,” Harry said, “you're familiar with the 'father-daughter's boyfriend talk', right?”

“Yeah,” Ginny said, raising her eyebrow.

“Well, this was sorta like that,” Harry said, “Only it wasn't about a wedding, and it was George talking to me instead of your father. Though apparently, as your brother said, it was probably better that he was talking to me instead of your father. Something about your father being worse than Ron when it came to your protection.”

“I'm going to kill George,” Ginny muttered, leaning forward on the loveseat.

“No you're not,” Harry said, pulling Ginny back and putting his arm around her.

“You're lucky it's your birthday, Harry,” Ginny said, “Otherwise, I might just have introduced you to my Bat-Bogey Hex.”

Harry laughed.

“Course you might see it anyway,” Ginny said, “if George interrupts us again.”

Ginny leaned in closer to Harry, and put her head on his shoulder.

“Ginny,” Harry said.

“Hmm?” Ginny asked, without looking up at him.

“I'm kind of surprised,” Harry said.

“About what?” Ginny asked, looking up at him.

“I thought you would, at least, be a little sad,” Harry said, “I mean...by the end of the day, you'll be leaving this place forever. Other than visits for parties and stuff, I mean.”

“I guess it hasn't hit me yet,” Ginny said, shrugging.

“Well, the day I left the Dursley's house forever,” Harry said, “I was walking around the place, reminiscing about certain events that had struck my memory.”

“But you hated that house,” Ginny said.

“Still doesn't mean it didn't affect me,” Harry said, “I lived in that house for most of my young life. And... well... you've lived here your whole life, other than when you went to Hogwarts. You love this place. You can't tell me you haven't thought about it.”

“Maybe a little,” Ginny said, “It will hit me before too long, I expect.”

Harry nodded.

“Still doesn't mean I don't want to leave this place,” Ginny said.

Harry nodded again.

“Harry?” Ginny said, looking up at him again, “You're being quiet.”

“I'm fine,” Harry said.

Ginny narrowed her eyes at him.

“No, you're not,” she said, “Harry, what did George tell you?

“What do you mean?” Harry asked, “I told you. It was --”

“No,” Ginny interrupted, “Tell me what he said.”

Harry looked at her, and he heard George's voice from their conversation a little while ago.

“You know her as well as I do. She's as feisty as a flame.”

“Well,” Harry said, “he--he told me that he had known what it was like to go down the road of relationships. And that he had a few problems, but he got over them.”

“He thinks we may have problems?” Ginny asked.

“No,” Harry said, “He --”

“He thinks we're moving too fast, doesn't he?” Ginny said, sighing.

Harry didn't answer.

“I knew it,” Ginny said, “I bloody knew it.”

She stood up, and before Harry could take her hand, Ginny moved away from him and headed up the stairs. Harry followed her, hoping she wasn't going to do what he thought she would do.

“Ginny!” Harry whispered.

Harry didn't want Mrs. Weasley to hear them. Who knows what she might say if she knew what they were talking about. But Harry figured he had a pretty good idea about what she might say.

“Ginny!” Harry whispered again, as he climbed the stairs.

Too late. Ginny had reached George's old bedroom. Harry hurried up the stairs, as Ginny pounded her knuckles on the door. The door opened a moment later.

“What?” George asked

“What did you tell Harry?!” Ginny said, almost screaming.

“Shh!” George shushed her, “Get in here before Mum comes up here.”

Ginny walked into the room. By this time, Harry had made his way up the stairs. George saw him. He gave Harry a “now you've done it” look and motioned his head toward the room. Harry followed him into the room. George shut the door. Angelina was sitting on the bed.

“Hi, Harry!” she said, “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks,” Harry said.

“What did you tell Harry, George?” Ginny repeated.

“Wait... one... more second,” George said to Ginny, putting up a hand.

He took his wand out of his pocket and pointed it to the walls. He muttered an incantation and Harry heard a creaking sound.

“There,” George said, “The walls are sound-proof now.”

“I don't want to know where you learned that spell,” Ginny said, disgusted, “Or why, for that matter.”

“Relax, sis,” George said, “Fred and I learned it a few years ago so Mum wouldn't find out we were making our products. I will admit it has several uses though.”

George grinned at Angelina. Ginny rolled her eyes, clearly disgusted.

“Now, what do you want?” George asked her.

“What did you tell Harry?” Ginny repeated a third time, “Did you tell him that he was moving too fast with me?”

Harry thought George would have been ready with an answer, but he looked speechless. Though it could have been that George didn't want to say anything that would have made Ginny any madder.

“Look, George,” Ginny said, “My relationship with Harry is none of your business. And don't bring up the 'protective big brother' rubbish. I had enough of that with Ron. And if you want to know, it wasn't Harry's request in the first place that I moved in with him. I brought it up, thinking it would have been a better option for me when it came to Quidditch training. Oh, and it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment thing either. We had the discussion at your wedding. So, yeah, we've had quite a while to mull things over in our heads. And if you hadn't noticed, we're as happy now as we were then with our decision.”

George looked at his sister, then turned to Harry.

“Harry,” he said, “If you would have told me all of that, we wouldn't be in this position, would we?”

Harry shrugged. George looked back at Ginny.

“Ginny,” he said, “It takes a big wizard to admit when he's wrong. And it seems that I was wrong about the two of you. I did think you were moving too fast in this relationship. I thought that perhaps Harry had asked you to move in with him, and you were so excited, that you accepted his request without thinking about it. But it seems you have thought a lot about it. Now, will you forgive me?”

Ginny stared at him and pondered her answer.

“I forgive you,” she finally said.

“Good,” George said, “Now, get out of here. The both of you.”

Ginny was only too happy to leave. Harry followed her out and they walked down the stairs.

“Well, that turned out better than I thought it would,” Harry said.

“Oh?” Ginny asked.

“Yeah,” Harry said, “I thought I was going to have to shield George from one of your hexes.”

Ginny laughed.

“I don't think it would have mattered,” she said, “George knows the Bat-Bogey Hex too well. He could have dodged it. Though I don't think he would have, especially with Angelina in the room.”

“You know,” Harry said, “I think I should ask George how to do that sound-proof spell.”

“Harry!” Ginny exclaimed.

“What?” Harry asked, “It sounds bloody useful if you ask me. Why, I bet George is testing it out right now.”

“Harry,” Ginny said, turning around, “Shut up or I'm going to hex you, even if it is your birthday.”

Harry laughed and followed Ginny down to the bottom floor. As he followed her, he privately agreed with George. Ginny was definitely as feisty as a fire.

----------------------------------

It was noon before most of the guests that Mrs. Weasley invited had arrived. Andromeda and Teddy were the first to arrive. Teddy, it turned out, had learned to walk. He was walking hand-in-hand with Andromeda, though Harry could tell that he was stumbling a bit.

“Just like his mother, he is,” Andromeda said, “Nymphadora couldn't walk two steps without tripping over something. I had hoped Teddy hadn't inherited that little problem. He's also learning how to talk, but we haven't been very successful.”

Teddy then said something that sounded like “hurry”.

“Did you hear that?!” Andromeda exclaimed, “He said your name. Well, either that or he wants me to hurry inside. Can't tell.”

Harry chuckled, and Andromeda brought Teddy into the Burrow. As they walked through the door, Harry noticed that his hair had changed from green to Weasley red. If he didn't know better, he would have thought Teddy was another Weasley relative.

Next to arrive was Bill, Fleur and little Victoire. Victoire was asleep in her baby seat as Bill brought it into the house, waving at Harry as he passed him. A couple minutes later, Harry heard a large crack and saw Hagrid walking down the driveway.

“'Arry!” Hagrid said, loudly, “'Appy Birthday!”

“Hi, Hagrid,” Harry said, “Thanks. I was wondering if you were coming.”

“Like I could miss your birthday,” Hagrid said.

“How's Grawp?” Harry asked.

“Great as far as I know,” Hagrid said, “I've only visited him a couple o' times. Just ter make sure he didn't get loose an' scare anyone in Hogsmeade.”

Harry grinned as Hagrid walked to the Burrow and ducked under the door-frame as he walked in. Harry thought Hagrid was the last guest. But a few minutes later, Harry noticed two more people turning into the driveway. He recognized one of them: Luna Lovegood. She was wearing a bright yellow dress, and was hand-in-hand with young man. It seemed that Luna had finally found love.

Luna and the young man walked up to Harry. Harry could tell at first glance that the man was probably a couple years older than him.

“Hi, Harry!” she said, happily, “Harry, this Rolf Scamander. His grandfather is the famous author, Newt Scamander. Rolf, this is --”

“I know who you are,” Rolf said, extending his hand, “The famous Harry Potter. Luna has told me all about you.”

“Nice to meet you,” Harry said, shaking his hand.

Luna and Rolf walked inside and Harry followed them. Rolf went around to meet the others, and Luna joined Harry on the couch.

“So how did you and Rolf meet?” Harry asked.

“My father interviewed his grandfather for the Quibbler once,” Luna said, “And Newt had brought Rolf with him. We became friends, and wrote back and forth for a while. Then one day a couple weeks ago when Rolf had visited, he asked me on a date. We've been together ever since.”

Luna grinned and blushed.

“That's great, Luna!” Harry said.

“Hi, Luna!” Ginny's voice rang out as she entered the living room.

Ginny walked over and sat on the other side of Harry.

“Rolf is pretty nice,” Ginny said to Luna.

“Yes, he's quite wonderful,” Luna said.

“So how is your father doing?” Harry asked.

“Oh, he is good,” Luna said, “He wanted to come to your party, but he told me to apologize on his behalf. He is very busy with the Quibbbler these days. Did you know that Rita Skeeter's Animagus might actually be a cousin of the Wrackspurt? Yeah! Daddy's trying to get an interview from Rita Skeeter. He remembered when she interviewed you about your story of what happened in that graveyard, Harry. It's one of the best selling editions of all time. He hopes that this time, she'll be the subject of a story for the Quibbler.”

“But Rita's in Azkaban, Luna,” Ginny said, “How is your father going to interview her?”

“Oh, yes,” Luna said, “Well, Daddy knows his way around Azkaban, and some of the Aurors who guard the place are big fans of his. Did you know some of them believe that the Dementors should go back to work in Azkaban? Yeah, Daddy's trying to get that story too. He hopes he can get some of the Dementors back to work and actually let them be paid for their work.”

“Luna, love,” Rolf said, entering the room, “Are you telling those stories again?”

“Oh, hush,” Luna said, then whispered to Harry, “Rolf doesn't believe some of the stories Daddy writes about. But he will.”

“Luna's trying to get me to work at the Quibbler,” Rolf said, as he sat next to Luna, “Did she tell you she's going to be one of the journalists there?”

“You failed to mention that, Luna!” Ginny said.

“Oh, it's nothing,” Luna said, blushing, “I always knew Daddy was going to give me a job. So it's not that surprising.”

“Well, I tell you what,” Ginny said, “If your father ever wants to write about the Quidditch league, I'll be happy to be interviewed.”

“You're a Quidditch player, Ginny?” Rolf asked, “In the Professional league? Which team?”

“Holyhead Harpies,” Ginny said, “I start training a week from Monday.”

Hermione and Ron walked into the living room.

“There you are,” Hermione said to Rolf, “I was hoping you'd tell me more about your grandfather. I love his books.”

“I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tell too much,” Rolf said, “I don't know him very well. Before last summer, I hadn't seen him since I was a little kid. He's very busy, my grandfather is.”

“What's he doing now?” Hermione asked, “Any new books?”

“I'm not sure,” Rolf said.

“Oh, Rolf,” Luna said, “You shouldn't be embarassed.”

Luna turned to Hermione.

“Rolf's grandfather and my father are co-writing a new book,” she said, “After my father interviewed Rolf's father, my father and him got to talking about writing a book together. My father's always wanted to write a book, and who better to assist him than Newt Scamander? The book will be about all the creatures that my father and I search for. Crumple-Horned Snorcacks, Wrackspurts, you know, stuff like that.”

“And I'm not embarassed by my grandfather, Luna,” Rolf said, “If I hadn't visited him last summer, I would have never met you.”

Luna smiled.

“Oh, before I forget, Harry,” Rolf said.

He reached into his left inside coat pocket and pulled out a book.

“I wrote to my grandfather and told him I might be meeting you sometime,” he said, “My grandfather sent this back with him, and told me to give it to you.”

Rolf handed the book to Harry. It looked to be a very old copy of “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”. He opened it. A short note was written on the inside cover. It read:

To Harry Potter, the Hero of the Second War,

Thanks for all you did for the wizarding world. You are more of a legend than I could ever be. I hope to meet you one day, and perhaps sit down for a discussion with you. I'm sure we can trade some pretty interesting stories!

Salutations,
Newt Scamander

Harry grinned and looked up at Rolf.

“Be sure to thank him for me,” he said, “It's great.”

“It's one of the very first editions of the book,” Rolf said, “A rare treasure, that is.”

“I will keep it safe,” Harry said.

“Sorry to interrupt your conversation,” Mrs. Weasley said from the doorway between the living room and the kitchen, “But if you guys want to eat, I will need some help setting up the tables and stuff outside.”

At that, everyone, including the guests, helped set up the tables, dishes and silverware outside.

------------------------------------------------

Fifteen minutes later, everything was ready. Mr. Weasley, who had been at work all day, arrived just in time for dinner, apologizing that he couldn't make it sooner.

“My office was next in line for Kingsley's investigations,” he said, when he sat down at the end of the table, “Well, of course, Kingsley knows about my background, but he was questioning many of my colleagues. A couple of them were pulled out of the office around noon, and I didn't see them by the time I left. Of course, most of the witches and wizards under investigation are those who had just joined the Ministry after the fall of Voldemort, and those who joined after the last invasion. The rumor is, around the Ministry...”

He looked at Harry, Ron and Hermione when he said the next bit.

“And I wouldn't be surprised if it hadn't gotten around to you,” he said, “but it seems that the new Ministry workers were poorly interviewed because, if you remember, a few of the Ministry workers had left for good fearing another invasion. Well, since then, they were trying to get their numbers back. Now it seems Kingsley is trying to make up for it with these investigations.”

“How many people have been sacked so far?” Bill asked.

“Oh, I think Kingsley mentioned somewhere near a dozen,” Mr. Weasley said.

“And everyone of those had some connection to Death Eaters?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Actually, very few,” Mr. Weasley said, “Most of them, if they had any connection to Death Eaters, it was a long distant relative or a next-door neighbor. It was also suspected that some those who had been let go may have had some random conversations with a known Death Eater at some point and didn't know who they were.”

“Well that is no reason to sack anybody!” Harry exclaimed.

“Like I said,” Mr. Weasley said,, “Kingsley's just trying to make up for past mistakes.”

“Will any of these people be sent in front of the Wizengamot,” Hermione asked.

“I know what you're thinking, Hermione,” Mr. Weasley said, “While it is true that Head Judge Morrison might be able to prove the innocence of many of these workers, it seems that Kingsley is being very final about the whole thing. I also believe that they don't want any of this being put into the Daily Prophet. Kingsley believes there would be mass-panic if that happened.”

The table went silent for a couple of minutes. It seemed everyone was thinking about this.

“What's the chance that someone in the Ministry could be associated with Death Eaters?” Rolf asked.

“There's already been at least one person,” Harry said to him, “He used to be in Auror training with me and Ron. I thought Kingsley was wrong about him, but his father was one of Azkaban escapees helping the Death Eaters in the final battle of the Second War. His father was killed in that battle, and Kingsley feared that the guy would want his revenge.”

“That's what the whole investigation is about,” Mr. Weasley said, “Making sure that doesn't happen. The wizarding world doesn't need something like this to happen just months after our victory.”

“Cheers to that,” Bill said, lifting his cup.

“Cheers” everyone around the table said, lifting their glasses as well.

After lunch, which ended with the cake Mrs. Weasley baked, it was time to hand out presents. Mrs. Weasley summoned them from her bedroom, and they came floating out of the window and onto the table. Harry opened them.

Ginny's was first. She gave him a heart-shaped locket that reminded Harry eerily of the Slytherin locket. Instead of an S, there was a H and G on it. Inside was a moving picture of Ginny. Ron and Hermione gave him a moving picture of them posing together. They were waving up at him.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley gave him their traditional birthday sweater (green with H emblazoned on the front) and a assortment of homemade pies and other goodies. George and Angelina gave Harry a coupon to Weasley's Wizard Wheezes, as well as a dragon-hide jacket. Andromeda gave him a picture of Teddy riding on the broom that Harry had gotten Teddy for Christmas. Luna's present was a coupon for a lifetime subscription to the Quibbler.

Bill and Fleur's present surprised Harry. Bill had finally caught up with the goblin Griphook and somehow had recovered the Sword of Gryffindor. When Harry asked how Bill got it, Bill said that Griphook had realized what the Sword of Gryffindor meant to Harry and would only give it to Bill if it went straight to Harry. Harry mentally promised that he would thank Griphook if he ever met him again.

---------------------------------------------

According to Ginny, Harry would have to wait for his final birthday surprise. It would come a few hours later. Harry wondered, once again, if it was fireworks from George, but Ginny wouldn't have been that excited about it. It had to be something that Ginny had planned.

After everything was cleaned up, Harry, Ginny, Ron, George, Angelina and Bill entertained everyone with a game of Quidditch. It was Harry, Ginny and Ron versus George, Angelina and Bill. There would be no Snitch nor Bludgers for the game, so Harry and Bill each played as Chasers, and George played as Keeper. It would be first to two-hundred. Luna was the announcer for the game, and she entertained everyone as much as the Quidditch players, with her comments. Rolf, who turned out to be a big fan of Quidditch, but wasn't the type to play it, was the referee.

Ginny and Angelina were nicely matched against each other, and Bill turned out to be a good Chaser, so Harry had some competition, since he had very little, if any, experience as a Chaser. But Ginny proved to be as good as two Chasers. The barn was used for Ron's goal, and Mr. Weasley had conjured golden rings that looked sort of like halos, so that there could be two scoring sides. George was all over the place as Ginny and Harry scored back and forth. Ginny and Harry even tricked George with a couple of twenty-point plays, including the final game-winning score. In the end, Harry, Ron and Ginny won 200-130.

The game lasted almost two hours, and by then the sun was close to the horizon. As everyone else went back inside for refreshments, Ginny invited Harry for a ride on her broom. Since Harry was bigger than Ginny, he got in back, while Ginny got in front. When Ginny told him that she wanted them to fly together, Harry had a pretty good idea of her surprise, but didn't say anything. Ginny flew the broom high above the Burrow, but low enough so they wouldn't be seen by Muggles' wandering eyes.

Soon enough, they were facing the direction of the sun as it began its descent over the horizon.

“So is this what you were planning?” Harry asked, grinning.

“Well,” Ginny said, “Hermione had mentioned that you can't get anything as good as this up in London, what with all the congestion. And I wanted to watch the sunset with you before we went to your place.”

Harry smiled and noticed that Ginny suddenly went silent.

“Something wrong?” Harry asked.

“Heh,” Ginny said, “It finally hit me.”

“What?” Harry asked.

“That I'm leaving my home for good,” Ginny said.

Ginny looked down, and Harry knew she was looking at the Burrow.

“Do you remember when you first came to the Burrow?” Ginny said, “Right before I first went to Hogwarts?”

“Kind of,” Harry said.

“I remember being so excited that you would be visiting us,” Ginny said, “And that I didn't exactly know why I was so excited. I mean, at that time, I had a school-girl crush on you. But I thought it was just silly.”

“I do remember,” Harry said, laughing, “Ron said you wouldn't shut up about me all that summer.”

“It's true,” Ginny said, giggling, “Fred and George started getting so annoyed at me as well. Threatened to hex my lips together. I think it was around then that I started learning the Bat-Bogey Hex. Just something to get back at them if they ever tried to hex me. Didn't help much. It took me almost four years to perfect it.”

Ginny turned her head and looked at Harry.

“Did I ever tell you,” she said, “when I knew I was truly in love with you? It may seem silly, though.”

“You might have,” Harry said, “I don't remember.”

“It was when you saved me in the Chamber of Secrets,” Ginny said, “I know I was so young then, and at the time, I thought it was still a silly school-girl crush, but looking back, I do realize that I was truly in love with you.”

“It's not that silly,” Harry said, “What's silly is how long it took for me to realize it. If you asked me, I couldn't tell you why.”

“You had other things on your mind, Harry,” Ginny said, “With all the Voldemort stuff.”

“You never gave up on me, though,” Harry said.

“Nope,” she said, chuckling, “Even when Hermione told me to. Even when I saw you with Cho, and when I started going out with other boys. I never gave up on you. Because I knew you'd realize what I had known for a while.”

Ginny turned back around, and Harry looked at the sun. Its rays were gone, and now Harry could see it without having to turn away from it after a few moments. It was that red-orange color that brought a glow of the same color miles across the sky, as if it was waving goodbye to everyone for the day. It looked so radiant, so beautiful. You'd have to go miles above London to get a view like this.

“Happy birthday, Harry,” Ginny said, grinning and leaning back on Harry as she said it.

Harry only grinned. He was practically speechless from the view.

“I love you,” Ginny said.

“I love you, too,” Harry said.

Ginny leaned her head upwards and kissed Harry on the lips. Harry kissed her back and deepened the kiss. As the sun went beneath the horizon, they were still embraced in their deep, loving, passionate kiss.

-----------------------------------
A/N: I know it sounds selfish to have favoritism to my own work, but this is probably one of my favorite endings to a chapter in a while. It was just perfect, and I'm glad to have thought about it.

So, I hope you liked Rolf. I'm trying to work out some of the secondary character's relationships throughout the story. While they probably won't have much to do with the story, or their own PoV for a chapter, it still adds to it. Hope I was right about Rolf's character. Almost called him Rolph, though. Had to do a double-check. Oh, and I wasn't sure if Rolf was Newt's grandson or great-grandson, and I don't know if Newt is even alive in canon, but I did it that way, just to add a little to the story.

More to come! Feedback would be great!

Last edited by Fury; August 14th, 2009 at 5:11 pm.
Sponsored Links