View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2009, 8:23 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Butterfly Kisses (Sequel to Harry Potter and the Return to Hogwarts)

Chapter 11
Moving Day

(Harry's POV)

It turned out that George did have a fireworks show planned. When it got dark, George fired off a box of his special fireworks, some of which were being debuted at the party and hadn't been brought to the store shelves yet. After the fireworks show, most of the guests, except for Bill, Fleur and Victoire (who only stayed because Mrs. Weasley told them their drive would take all night and Victoire needed a good night's rest), left the Burrow.

Harry decided to stay for a little while longer, while Ginny said her final farewells to the Burrow. Meanwhile, Harry and Mr. Weasley magically transported Ginny's things and Harry's presents to Harry's house. Harry suspected that Mr. Weasley had something to say to him, and he was right. When the last of Harry's gifts disappeared from view, Mr. Weasley kept Harry behind.

“I can't tell you how much this ol' Burrow is going to miss Ginny,” Mr. Weasley said to Harry, as they both watched Ginny hug her mother, who had tears streaking down her cheeks.

“I think I know,” Harry said.

Mr. Weasley looked at Harry questioningly.

“Oh,” Harry said, “Ginny and I talked about it when... after the Quidditch game, I mean.”

Mr. Weasley just chuckled.

“To be honest, Harry,” he said, “Molly and I hadn't expected this to come too soon. I can't tell you how long it has been since it has only been me and Molly in this house. Now, after tomorrow, once Ron leaves with Hermione, it's just going to be me and her once again.”

“We'll visit whenever possible,” Harry said, “You know that. And you are always welcome to visit us.”

“Oh, I know,” Mr. Weasley said, “Ginny and Ron tell Molly and I that all the time. But it won't be the same, you know.”

Mr. Weasley went quiet and Harry knew he was looking back at the memories as if they were a photo book sitting in front of him. Mr. Weasley shook out of his thoughts and looked at Harry.

“Did any of us ever tell you,” he said, “ that the Burrow used to only have one or two bedrooms... oh... many years ago?”

“No,” Harry said.

“Yeah,” Mr. Weasley said, “Then we started building onto it as the children came along. You've probably asked yourself over the years if this place was held up by magic. I think the only answer to that would be... yes. If there was no magic in this house, it'd probably topple right on top of us.”

He chuckled. Ginny walked in, followed by Mrs. Weasley, Ron and Hermione. Bill and Fleur were putting Victoire to sleep in one of the old cribs Mrs. Weasley kept around whenever Bill and Fleur visited. Harry noticed that Mrs. Weasley was wiping tears away from her eyes with a handkerchief.

“Harry and I were just reminiscing,” Mr. Weasley said, smiling, “You ready to go, Ginny?”

“Yeah,” Ginny said, “I think I am.”

“Everything is at your new house,” Mr. Weasley said, though Harry noticed a bit of longing in his voice.

Ginny smiled and hugged her father. Mr. Weasley looked at her.

“My little girl's all grown up,” he said, chuckling.

“Oh, Dad,” Ginny said, blushing.

Harry hugged Mrs. Weasley.

“Oh, I'll be fine, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said, “You just take care of our little girl, huh?”

“Of course, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said.

Mrs. Weasley smiled, as Harry and Ginny walked over to the fireplace. Mrs. Weasley held the box open as Harry took a handful.

“The 'go word' for the Floo Network is 'home',” Harry said, “I took the liberty of adding your name to the list just yesterday, Ginny.”

Harry turned to Ron and Hermione.

“If you need help tomorrow,” Harry said, “you can always ask.”

“I think we'll manage, mate,” Ron said.

Harry nodded and walked into the fireplace.

“Home!” he yelled clearly.

He felt his feet lift off the ground and closed his eyes as he spun around. A few moments later, he was back safely in his house. He walked out of the soot and ash. All of Ginny's things, and his gifts were a few feet away. A few moments later, he heard Ginny's feet slap against the ground and she walked out of the fireplace. She took one glance around, then looked at Harry.

“I think I saw a tear in Mum's eye when I said 'home',” she said.

“Well, you can't blame her,” Harry said.

“Nope,” Ginny said.

Harry helped Ginny take her things up to her new bedroom. A bed was already there, near the window. The moonlight struck the bed in an odd, haunting way, though it also seemed to welcome Ginny to it. Ginny walked over to it and looked out it into the city.

“Such a different view than my old bedroom,” Ginny said, “Have to get used to waking up and seeing other houses instead of the lake.”

“I think you'll get used to it quicker than you think,” Harry said.

“Yeah,” Ginny said.

“Well, I'll let you unpack,” Harry said.

“Seems like I just packed up,” Ginny said, looking at the boxes.

Harry grinned. As he walked out the door, Ginny was placing her broom in the closet. He heard her whisper to herself, and swore she said “Hopefully this will all just be temporary.” Harry smiled to himself and walked back downstairs to grab his presents.

----------------------------------------------------

(Hermione's POV)

Early the next morning, Hermione was sitting at the small desk in Ginny's old bedroom. Bill, Fleur and Victoire were still asleep in their bedroom. Hermione's things were all packed up. The trunk was at the end of Ginny's old bed. Everything else Hermione needed, she would have to get from her house (she hadn't gotten used to calling it her old house yet) when she went to visit her parents. She had just finished a letter to them and was reading it over:

Dear Mum and Dad,

Well, today is moving day! By noon, Ron and I should be in our new house in London. It is kind of weird to think about it, but I am fine. I am over the anxious, nervous part.

Tomorrow, I'll come over and visit and get the rest of my stuff, as well as Crookshanks. I'm sure he misses me loads! Anyway, I'll be coming by Floo Network. You remember what that means, right? I'll be arriving by the fireplace, so don't get shocked when I arrive. I won't need any help moving anything, since I can just transport everything magically. I'm sure you want to see my new house, so you guys can drive me back since I don't really want to take Crookshanks to the house by magic.

See you then!

Love,
Hermione

As soon as she finished reading, she heard a tapping sound on the door. It was, of course, Ron.

“Come in!” Hermione said.

The door opened and Ron walked in.

“Good morning,” he said, “What are you doing?”

“Writing Mum and Dad a letter,” Hermione said, “Can I use Pigwidgeon?”

“Can't you use Frederique?” Ron asked, “Pig is nervous enough with all this moving stuff.”

“Pig will know where our new place is,” Hermione said, “He can just deliver this, then fly to the house.”

“Fine,” Ron sighed.

Hermione grinned and rolled the piece of parchment. She stood up and walked out of the room and, with Ron, headed for Ron's room. His room looked much different when most of the stuff in it was packed up. The Chudley Cannons posters had all been taken down, and in the closet there were only a few hangers left. Hermione walked over to Pig's cage and let him out. Ron caught Pig out of the air before he could go anywhere. Hermione attached the parchment to his leg.

“Take this to Hermione's parents,” Ron instructed him, “Then go to our new house. It is --”

“Ron, you don't have to tell him the address,” Hermione said, sighing, “He'll know where it is.”

“Fine,” Ron said again.

He opened the window and Pig flew out of it. Hermione looked at Ron.

“Have you said your goodbyes to the house yet?” she said to him.

“Yeah,” Ron said, “But there will be more to come, I expect.”

Ron sighed and sat down on his bed. He looked around the almost-empty room.

“So many memories in this house,” he said, “In this room alone.”

“Want to know my favorite memory in this room?” Hermione asked, sitting beside him.

Ron looked at her. Hermione knew he was trying to think of something that would qualify for it.

“It was one of the last times Harry, you and I were in here together,” Hermione said, “before we went to search for the Horcruxes. I kept crying over stuff, and you comforted me.”

“Then Mum came in,” Ron said, “and told us off for not helping with preparations for Bill and Fleur's wedding. She didn't want us to leave, remember. She didn't say that herself, but I just knew.”

“She isn't trying to stop you from moving, though,” Hermione said.

“Nah,” Ron said, shaking his head, “She knows it is inevitable. The house is paid for and all of the furniture is inside. Plus, when Dad senses that she is going to talk about it, he tells Mum that they can't stop us from leaving. I heard them last night, you know?”

“Oh?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah,” Ron said, “I was packing up the rest of my things shortly after Harry and Ginny left, and I heard Mum at the bottom of the stairs leading up to here. I expect she was coming up to talk to me, maybe a last-minute discussion. Anyway, I heard Dad say something, and then Mum walked back downstairs.”

“What did your father say?” Hermione asked.

“I don't know,” Ron said, shrugging, “Probably reminding her that she can't keep me here for the rest of my life. It's one of his favorite lines when something like this happens.”

Ron grinned and looked at the door, as if expecting his mother to come in once again.

“You know,” he said, “I think Dad is actually taking this worse than Mum.”

“I doubt it,” Hermione said.

“No, really,” Ron said, “I expect that when he tells Mum to cool it, he is actually telling it to himself. Or at least reminding himself that he can't stop me either. You would think that they would be happy about this. They haven't had the house to themselves in a long time, except when we were at Hogwarts.”

“They're just used to having kids around,” Hermione said, “You want to know what Dad said the night he and Mum came back from Australia?”

“Sure,” Ron said.

“He said,” Hermione said, “That even though my spell had made them forget about their life and stuff, that somewhere in the back of their minds, they knew they had a daughter. He said there were nights where he woke up in Australia and thought he heard me.”

“What does that have to do with my parents?” Ron asked.

“Nothing, I guess,” Hermione said, “It just means that not even magic can make a person forget about their children. Basically what I'm saying is your Mum and Dad are always going to be thinking about you, Ginny and your brothers. You can't stop them.”

“I wouldn't want to,” Ron said, “I just don't want to hear them griping about whether I am going to move or not. It's my choice in the end, isn't it?”

“I bet both your parents are happy with your decision,” Hermione said, “I'm not saying they're happy to see you go, cause you know they're not.”

“I know what you're saying,” Ron said.

“Well,” Hermione said, “you only have to endure their griping for a couple more hours. We're still leaving around noon, right?”

“If not sooner,” Ron said.

“No,” Hermione said, “Noon is good for me.”

“What's wrong with leaving sooner?” Ron asked, “You're worried Muggles are going to notice, aren't you?”

“Well, I'm sure there will be a few people peeking out their windows,” Hermione said, “Just to see the new neighbors. Remember, Ron, you're not living out in the country anymore. It's the city. The neighbors might be a little nosy.”

“Yeah, yeah,” Ron said, “No magic outside in plain view.”

“It also means,” Hermione said, “that if we ever have to take the Knight Bus, we'll have to walk down to the end of the block.”

“Why?” Ron asked, “Muggles can't see the Knight Bus.”

Hermione sighed and rolled her eyes.

“Did you forget what I told you the day we first went to see the house?” she asked him.

“Sort of,” Ron muttered.

“Even though Muggles can't see the Knight Bus,” Hermione said, “They can still see us, and they'll notice us disappear out of thin air.”

“Well, we probably won't have to take the Knight Bus, anyway,” Ron said, “I hate that thing, and Merlin knows I'll do everything to keep away from it.”

Hermione rolled her eyes again, but giggled anyway.

---------------------------------------

(Ginny's PoV)

Ginny woke up that morning and before she opened her eyes or sat up, she could smell breakfast cooking in the kitchen. Instantly, she thought about her Mum's cooking. She wiped the sleep out of her eyes, and looked around the bedroom, remembering where she was. She wasn't in the Burrow anymore. She was in Harry's house in London. She put on her slippers and walked down the stairs and into the kitchen.

Harry was standing at the stove. A frying pan was on one of the back burners.

“What smells so good?” Ginny asked.

Harry turned and smiled.

“Good morning, sunshine,” he said, grinning.

Ginny was still looking at the stove.

“Oh, yes,” Harry said, “Bacon and eggs.”

“I wasn't aware you could cook,” Ginny said.

“Growing up at the Dursleys,” Harry said, “I cooked breakfast almost every morning. Bacon and eggs was my specialty.”

“You never said anything about that!” Ginny said.

Harry shrugged, and turned back to the stove.

“Never came up, I guess,” he said.

“Well you could have fooled me,” Ginny said, “And my Mum too. Do you know what she told me before we left?”

Harry shook his head.

“She said that I'd probably be doing all the cooking,” Ginny said, “And she joked that I'd grow up to be just like her because of it.”

“Well, I could let you do the cooking,” Harry said, motioning to the frying pan.

“Looks like you're doing good on your own,” Ginny said.

“Well, I must be,” Harry said, “Haven't died from food poisoning yet.”

Ginny chuckled.

“Did you sleep well?” Harry asked.

“Better than I thought I would,” Ginny said, “I thought I'd get woken up by some Muggle's car horn. Dad was the one to warn me about that.”

“That's city life for ya,” Harry said.

“Is Ares around?” Ginny asked, remembering something she had thought about the night before.

“Asleep in his cage in the living room,” Harry asked, “Why?”

“I need to write to Gwenog Jones,” Ginny said, “I realized last night that even though I can apparate or use the Floo Network to get to the Quidditch camp, I need to figure out how I am getting there next Monday. Doesn't help to apparate or Floo if I don't know where it is.”

“Well, if you want to write the letter now, you can,” Harry said, “Breakfast won't be ready for another fifteen minutes or so.”

“You don't cook with magic?” Ginny asked, “It's much quicker.”

“Never tried it,” Harry said, shrugging, “I always cook the normal – the Muggle way, I mean.”

“Maybe I can teach you one day,” Ginny said.

“You're just happy to know that you won't have to do all the cooking,” Harry said, chuckling.

Ginny laughed as she walked out of the kitchen and back to her room. Before she had arrived, Harry had set up Ginny's bedroom for her. Near the bed was a desk and chair, so Ginny could write letters on it. Ginny had put her trunk near the closet. She went over to it and opened it up. The only thing inside it now was a stack of parchment, some quills and ink. She took them all out and set it on the desk. She then sat down, and started to write:

Dear Gwenog Jones,

We haven't had a chance to talk since the day you asked me to be a part of the Harpies. I'm pretty excited to start training camp, and ever since I got invited to the Harpies, I've been training like mad. Just yesterday, I moved up to London with my boyfriend, so I am pretty close to the training camp. The only problem I have is figuring out how to get to the camp. I was wondering if there was some kind of building I could Floo into. I can apparate as well, but as you can probably guess, I can't apparate if I don't know where the place is, or if I've never been there. If there isn't a place connected to the Floo Network, I'll find another way.

See you then!
Ginny Weasley

Ginny read over her letter. At first, she wondered if using “Dear” at the start was a bit too much for someone she barely knew. She decided it would be okay, and Gwenog probably wouldn't mind. She rolled up the letter and stood up. Near the desk was a poster of the the Holyhead Harpies prior to the player's strike. Ginny wondered how many of the players had stayed on the team and how many had left cause of the strike. Of course, Ginny knew that she might not have this position on the team if there hadn't been a strike. Ginny watched as the poster-figure of Gwenog score ten points against the opposing team, and grinned, realizing she could be on a poster like that by this time next year. She walked out of the bedroom and back downstairs.

------------------------------------------------------------
(Hermione's PoV)

Fifteen minutes to noon, Hermione and Ron were standing near the fireplace at the Burrow. Their belongings had already been magically transported to the new house in London. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were also with them. Mrs. Weasley looked as if she was trying her best not to cry, though Hermione knew she'd be in tears before long.

“Mum,” Ron said, “You know you can visit us anytime you want to. You'll really like the house.”

“I know that, Ron,” Mrs. Weasley said, walking over to Ron and hugging him.

“And we'll be sure to come and visit when we can,” Hermione said.

“Of course,” Mrs. Weasley said, now walking over and hugging Hermione, “And we have that wedding of yours to look forward to, as well.”

Hermione and Ron blushed.

“Mum!” Ron said, “I told you before. That is still months away. Hermione and I haven't even talked about it yet.”

“Oh, I know, honey,” Mrs. Weasley said, “I was just saying...”

Hermione saw tears pooling in Mrs. Weasley's eyes. She chuckled softly, and wiped her eyes.

“You have everything packed up, right?” Mrs. Weasley asked.

“Yes, Mum,” Ron said, “It's already sent.”

“Well, if there is anything you forget,” Mrs. Weasley said, “You can always come back and get it.”

“Of course,” Ron said.

“Now, Molly,” Mr. Weasley said, before his wife could say anything else, “I think Ron and Hermione have everything set. They still have to unpack everything too when they get there.”

“Oh, yes, right,” Mrs. Weasley said, “Well --”

Tears went down Mrs. Weasley's cheeks as she hugged Ron and Hermione once more.

“You kids grow up so quickly,” she said.

Hermione smiled and walked over to Mr. Weasley, who had the Floo Powder ready.

“Thanks for everything, Mr. Weasley,” she said, “For letting me stay here.”

“Well,” Mr. Weasley said, “If I may say, you're just as much a part of this family as I am.”

Hermione felt tears in her own eyes, and she blinked them away quickly, taking the Floo Powder.

“Remember the 'go word'?” Ron asked her.

“Home,” Hermione said.

“Yeah,” Ron said.

Hermione smiled sweetly at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, then walked into the fireplace.

“Home!” she said, clearly, dropping the green powder.

She always hated the Floo Network. She closed her eyes, and tightened her body close as spun around through the pathway and by fireplaces. A minute later, her feet landed on solid ground, and she walked out of the fireplace, amid a bunch of soot and ash. She cleared away the debris with a quick spell. The soot and ash disappeared, and walked away from the fireplace. A minute later, the soot and ash returned as Ron arrived. Hermione sighed and cleaned up the debris once again with a quick spell.

“I thought we'd never get out of there,” Ron said, “I swear it was like I was fighting just to escape Mum's hugs.”

Hermione chuckled. For the first time since she had arrived, she took a look around. As Mr. Wycott had promised, all of the furniture was in the house. Every piece of the living room furniture, from the couch, to the love seat, to the rocking chair, was made of oak. Even the wood on the television was in oak.

“Wow,” Ron said, “We have a television.”

“Yeah,” Hermione said, “Everything is so lovely. We'll have to remember to thank Mr. Wycott when we talk to him.”

Ron nodded.

“Okay,” Ron said, looking at the boxes on the floor, “First things first. What will the sleeping arrangements be?”

“Er...” Hermione said.

She hadn't had a chance to think about the sleeping arrangements. She realized that wasn't the only thing. She was so busy with work that she hadn't had any plans for the house.

“I can sleep on the couch,” Ron said, motioning to it, “It looks great.”

“Oh, Ron, I couldn't ask that,” Hermione said, “You're the reason we have this house.”

Ron grinned.

“So what do we do?” he asked.

Hermione thought about it. After a moment, she answered.

“Why don't we just,” she said, slowly, “share the bed?”

“You mean switch every other night?” Ron asked.

“No,” Hermione said, “I mean --”

“Oh,” Ron said, “Well... okay.”

“Are you okay with that?” Hermione asked.

“I am if you are,” Ron said, then after a moment, “Are you?”

“Well, think about it,” Hermione said, “We're living in the same house, and--”

“Hermione,” Ron said, “You know you don't have to answer everything like it's an essay question. It's just a simple yes or no. And it doesn't matter to me what your answer is.”

Hermione smiled.

“Yes, Ron,” she said, “I think I am.”

“All right,” Ron said.

Hermione wasn't sure what Ron was thinking at the moment, but he picked up a box of their things and took it toward the bedroom. Hermione followed him. The bed, like the furniture in the living room, was oak. It was a queen-size, definitely big enough for both of them. It was below the window, and the oak on the headboard sparkled in the sunlight.

“Cozy,” Ron said, grinning at Hermione.

Hermione rolled her eyes and started to unpack. Over the next few hours, they unpacked and put everything in the house to their liking. By the time they were done, Hermione knew that they had definitely made a right choice about the house, even if it was only temporary. When they were finished, Hermione and Ron sat on the loveseat near the fireplace. Just as they were getting comfortable, there was a pecking sound on the window behind them. They turned around. Pigwidgeon was on the windowsill. He was holding a letter in his beak.

“I told you he would find the house,” Hermione said, as she opened up the window.

Pig flew in, dropping the letter on Hermione's lap. He then flew over to his cage, which was standing on a table near the kitchen, and perched himself on it.

“I bet you're hungry, aren't you?” Ron asked him.

As Hermione unrolled the letter, Ron stood up and walked into the kitchen.

“What's the letter say?” Ron asked from the kitchen.

“Mum and Dad are happy that I'm much closer to them,” Hermione said, looking at the letter, “And they say I can come over around noon tomorrow, though they seem a bit worried about the Floo bit. Can't blame them.”

“Are they going to drive you back?” Ron asked.

“Yep,” Hermione said, “They really want to see the house.”

“Well, perfect,” Ron said, as he walked back out of the kitchen and over to Pig's cage, “That goes well with my idea.”

“Idea?” Hermione asked.

“I thought I'd visit Harry and Ginny tomorrow,” Ron said, “And see if they wanted to come and see the house. I figured we could make it a little get-together. Dinner and stuff, you know?”

“Good idea,” Hermione said.

“You like it?” Ron asked.

“It's brilliant,” Hermione said, “I'll order pizza when I get back tomorrow, since we don't have anything to fix.”

She thought for a moment.

“We do need to get some groceries though,” she said.

Ron agreed. They took the Floo Network to Diagon Alley and shopped for groceries. When they got back, it was only seven. Ron offered to make dinner, and Hermione was surprised to learn that Ron could cook. Apparently his mother had taught him when he was younger. Meanwhile, Hermione started writing a list of ideas for the house. She smiled as she started writing, fully realizing that she was finally starting her life with Ron.

----------------------------------------
A/N: Well, that was sort of a filler chapter. I have ideas for the next chapter and then I might hurry through the next week, cause I want to get Ginny started with her training camp. I have so many ideas for that!

Hope you liked this chapter. As always, would love to see your feedback!