View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2009, 5:16 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Butterfly Kisses (Sequel to Harry Potter and the Return to Hogwarts)

Chapter 12
Pizza Party

Author's Note: To those who didn't read the prequel to this story, I have named Hermione's parents Richard and Helen. I've always thought that might be their names. Also, I've been told that I've been calling Euro football soccer (I call it that, cause I am American, of course), but I'll call it football from now on since this is in England.

(Hermione's PoV)

There have been many times in Hermione Granger's life where she appreciated the fact that she could use magic. The first night in the new house was one of those times. She had woken up to Ron's snoring three times during the night, and the third time, she put a silencing charm on him. The only problem about this idea, would be if Ron had woken up before Hermione did. Fortunately, he did not. When Hermione woke up, she took the silencing charm off of him.

She then dressed and went into the kitchen to make breakfast for her and Ron. A few minutes later, as Hermione was fixing pancakes, Ron walked in.

“Smells wonderful in here,” he said.

Hermione turned and smiled.

“Sleep well?” Ron asked.

Hermione didn't answer right away. She wondered if she should tell him the truth.

“What's wrong?” Ron asked.

“I slept fine,” Hermione finally said.

“I snored, didn't I?” Ron asked.

“Only a little,” Hermione said, getting back to the pancakes.

“Sorry,” Ron said, “Dad always referred to it as the 'Weasley family curse'. He and all my brothers snore as well. If it bothers you too much, I'll – ”

“No, no,” Hermione interrupted, “It's fine.”

Ron grinned and walked over to her. He put his arms around her from behind, and Hermione giggled.

“Ron!” Hermione said, still laughing, “You're going to make me burn the pancakes.”

“They'd probably still taste better than anything I make,” Ron said, kissing Hermione's cheek.

“You cook very well,” Hermione said.

It was the truth. Ron had made fried chicken and boiled potatoes for dinner the previous night, and Hermione loved it. Hermione sighed, knowing she couldn't resist being in Ron's arms, and took her wand out of her pocket. She had never cooked with magic before, but she knew the theory of it. She muttered a spell under her breath and pointed the wand at the frying pan. The spatula started flipping the pancakes on its own.

“You know,” Ron said, looking at the frying pan, as Hermione turned around in his arms, “It's a wonder why wizards use house-elves at all. Magic cooks and cleans just as good, or better, than them.”

“That is sort of what I've been saying all along,” Hermione said, “Wizards and witches should stop using house-elves to do their work. Especially when magic can do everything they can.”

“You're not going to start with that spew stuff again, are you?” Ron asked.

“It's S.P.E.W!” Hermione said, slapping Ron on the back.

Ron laughed.

“Ow! I was joking,” he said, “I know what it is called.”

Hermione sighed and stared into Ron's eyes. There were times where she just wanted to kick him, but there were other times, like when she was in his arms, where she didn't know why she had hated him at the beginning of their first year in Hogwarts.

“I'm happy being with you in this house,” Ron said, looking at her, “I don't know what I'd do if I was all alone in here.”

Hermione grinned.

“Probably go mental,” she said, laughing.

“Definitely,” he said.

He then kissed her, and Hermione returned the kiss. Before it could last more than a few moments, a noise was heard behind her.

“Oh!” Hermione said, breaking the kiss, “The pancakes are done.”

She ducked out of Ron's arms and served the pancakes. As she was serving them at the small table near the arched doorway, Ron quickly fed Pigwidgeon, who had just woken up. He then walked over to the table and sat down.

“So you don't have to be over at your parents' house until noon, right?” Ron asked.

“Yep,” Hermione said, “Why?”

“No reason,” Ron said, shrugging, as he dug into his pancakes, “I was trying to decide when I wanted to visit Harry and Ginny. I imagine they'll be home around noon, so I'll leave a little while after you do.”

“We still haven't finished unpacking.” Hermione said, “We barely did much yesterday. So we'll have to do that before we do anything. Also, I haven't had a chance to go into the backyard since we moved in.”

“I went out last night,” Ron said, “There's a table and four chairs out there.”

“We can always put these two out there as well,” Hermione said.

“For what?” Ron asked.

“For dinner tonight,” Hermione said, “Kitchen's not big enough for six people, and the back yard would be perfect. I'm sure it will be a lovely night outside tonight.”

“You're starting to sound like my mother,” Ron said, chuckling, “Planning ahead even for the smallest, and simplest, of get-togethers.”

Hermione blushed.

“I just want everything to be perfect,” she said, “I mean, this is our house now. We're going to be living here for a while, so I --”

“Relax, Hermione,” Ron said, “I know what you mean.”

“I am being a little dramatic about all this, aren't I?” Hermione said, grinning.

“Maybe a little,” Ron said, “But I can't blame you. It is kinda exciting, huh?”

Hermione nodded and started on her breakfast.

------------------------------------

After breakfast, Hermione started unpacking the boxes in the living room, while Ron started on the kitchen and bathroom. She had a stack of parchment, and some quills and ink near her at all times so she could add things to her list of ideas if anything came to mind. When Ron was unpacking in the kitchen, Hermione heard him chuckle at something.

“I can't believe I forgot about this,” he said, barely loud enough for Hermione to hear him.

“What is it, Ron?” Hermione asked.

He peered around the archway seperating the kitchen and the living room.

“You ever wonder how the Weasley family clock at the Burrow had come into existence?” Ron asked.

“Probably at one point or another, yes,” Hermione said.

“Dad made it around the time I was born,” Ron said, “Then when Ginny was born, he added her name onto it. Over the years, as we grew up, he put new pictures with our names. Anyway, a few days ago, I walked in on him working on something in his garage. He wanted it to be a surprise for you and me, but when I found out what it was, he made me promise not to tell you about it until moving day. Well, we were so busy yesterday I totally forgot about it.”

“What are you talking about?” Hermione asked.

Ron disappeared for a moment, then reappeared and walked over to Hermione. Something very large was wrapped in a small blanket. Ron unwrapped it. Hermione gasped. It was exactly like the Weasley family clock, except that it only had her and Ron's name on it.

“Holy Merlin,” Hermione said, in wonder.

“Dad said it was originally going to be our wedding present whenever that came around,” Ron said, “But he hadn't foreseen us moving out of the house before that day came. The night after I called Mr. Wycott, Dad started on this. I think he's going to make one for Harry and Ginny too.”

“This is... it's just brilliant,” Hermione said, grinning.

“It's one of my father's secrets,” Ron said, “He's good at stuff like this, but he got caught up in all that Muggle stuff and he put stuff like this down farther on his priority list. It's probably one of the reasons why Mum never really liked that he went into the Muggle artifact business. She knew he had much better talents, but that he always wanted to hide them.”

“I can't see why,” Hermione said, looking at the clock, “It's beautiful.”

Ron nodded and brought the clock over to the wall near the kitchen's archway. He hung it up, using a sticking charm.

“We'll have to take it down for a while when Harry and Ginny come,” Ron said.

“Why?” Hermione asked.

“Dad's request,” Ron said, “He wants to make sure their clock is a better surprise than this turned out to be.”

“It is a pleasant surprise,” Hermione said, “But I can understand his reasons.”

Ron smiled and returned to the kitchen. A few minutes later, Hermione heard the end of a wizard rock song, followed by a voice.

“That was the Weird Sisters singing 'Magical Melody',” the voice said, “Their first single since the death of their band-mate. You're listening to Wizarding Wireless Network.”

Hermione peered back into the kitchen and noticed the small radio sitting in the center of the kitchen table. It was the same radio they had used during the hunt for the Horcruxes. A more familiar voice was heard on the radio.

“Hey there!” the voice said.

“Is that George?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah!” Ron said, staring at the radio, “That git! He didn't say anything about being on the radio.”

“This is George Weasley,” George's voice said, “Owner of Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. I'm proud to announce that the store in Diagon Alley will be re-opening on August fourteenth. Just in time for back-to-school! Grand re-opening sale on all items, including the Skiving Snackboxes, guaranteed to give you freedom from classes with just a simple sample. Also introducing the new Blast-Bang Box, fireworks that are guaranteed to light up the sky as if it was morning! I just saw them myself recently, and I tell you, you don't want to miss them. Also, for those jokesters near Hogsmeade village, don't forget that the store there is open right now! Tell my good pal, Lee Jordan, that I sent you, and you'll get a buy one, get one discount on any one thing in the store! That's Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. See you there!”

“I swear,” Ron said, turning down the radio, “A couple days back from his honeymoon and he's already back to his old self. You'd think Angelina would have calmed him down, eh?”

“I don't think there is a single person who can calm George Weasley down,” Hermione said.

“Well, except for Mum,” Ron said.

Hermione grinned and returned to unpacking.

------------------------------------

At noon, Hermione traveled to her parents' house via Floo Powder. When she arrived, she thought that her parents would react badly about her arrival, but they weren't in the living room. She quickly cleaned up the dust and soot, and went looking for them. They were in the back yard, sitting on the lawn chairs, and talking to each other. Her father was the first to notice her arrival.

“Hermione!” Richard said, standing up, “We didn't expect you for a little while.”

“I said I would be here around noon,” Hermione said.

“Is it noon already?” Helen asked, “Time flies. Your father and I have just been enjoying the nice weather.”

“Come here and give your old man a hug,” Richard said.

Hermione walked over to her parents and hugged them.

“Did Ron come with you?” Richard asked.

“No,” Hermione said, “He's going over to his sister's house. She and Harry haven't seen my new house either. Ron thought we could all have a little get-together at my new house later. I was going to order pizza.”

“That would be lovely!” Helen said, “We have nothing better to do.”

“Have you seen Crookshanks yet?” Richard asked.

“Nope,” Hermione said, “I just arrived.”

“I bet he's up in your old room,” Helen said, “He loves it up there.”

“I guess I'll go up and see him then,” Hermione said.

“All right, honey,” Richard said, “Just tell us when you want to leave, and we'll go.”

Hermione nodded, though she figured she could stay around the house for a little while. With Ron visiting Ginny and Harry, there wouldn't be much to do at the house. She walked back into the house and went upstairs to her bedroom. When she walked in, she immediately saw Crookshanks laying on her bed.

“Oh, is that your bed now?” Hermione asked him.

Crookshanks sat up and looked at Hermione, his flat orange face smiling in a grin. Hermione grinned and picked him up, cuddling him.

“You missed me, didn't you?” she asked.

He purred, almost like a song.

“Well, you won't have to miss me any longer,” Hermione said, “You're going home with me and Ron.”

Crookshanks purred once again.

“Yeah!” Hermione said, “We have a new house. You'll love it. But you have to promise to leave Pigwidgeon alone.”

Crookshanks hissed.

“Oh, don't be like that,” Hermione said.

She put him back on the bed, and started packing up her things.

----------------------------------
(Ron's PoV)

Ron had forgotten to write to Harry and Ginny and tell them he was planning to come over, so he didn't want to use the Floo Network to get to their house. He decided to apparate to Harry's house, hoping that no one would see him appear when he arrived. He apparated right in front of the door, then took a quick look around. To his relief, nobody was peeking out any windows or outside that could have seen him. He knocked on the door. A moment later, the door opened. Harry was standing there.

“Hey, Ron,” Harry said, “What are you doing here?”

“Hermione went to visit her parents and pick up Crookshanks and her things,” Ron said, “So I thought I'd come over and visit.”

“Well, come on in,” Harry said.

Ron followed Harry into the house.

“I would have come by the Floo Network,” Ron said, “But it'd be like barging in.”

“Have to give a person a chance to deny you entrance,” Harry said.

“What?” Ron asked.

“Nothing,” Harry said, “Something Professor Dumbledore said once.”

“Oh,” Ron said, “Well, I also came over to invite you to my new place. Hermione's parents want to see the house, so I thought you and Ginny could come over as well. We were going to have a little get-together.”

“Brilliant,” Harry said, “Actually it would be perfect.”

“Really?” Ron asked.

Harry looked around for a moment, then back to Ron.

“I want to talk to you and Hermione,” he said, “About Ginny's birthday. I want to do something special, but I need some ideas.”

“Hermione would probably be better at that than I am,” Ron said.

“No offense, mate,” Harry said, “But I think you're right.”

Ron chuckled.

“None taken,” he said.

Ginny walked around the corner of the second level to the staircase.

“Hey, Ron!” she said, happily, “I thought I heard you. What are you doing here?”

“He's invited us over to his place for dinner,” Harry said.

“Brilliant!” Ginny exclaimed, “What are we having?”

“Pizza, I think,” Ron said, “Hermione's treat.”

“You've had pizza, right?” Harry asked Ginny.

“Er... I don't know,” Ginny said.

“I can't believe pizza isn't a delicacy in the wizarding world,” Harry said, shaking his head.

“Heh,” Ron said, chuckling, “Just when you think you know as much as you need to in the wizarding world, eh?”

“Oh, I wish that was true,” Harry said.

“So when are we leaving?” Ginny asked.

“Oh, doesn't matter to me,” Ron said, “Hermione's visiting her parents, and she was going to bring them to the house as well. I don't know when she'll be back. They're coming all the way from Oxfordshire. So... what have you been doing?”

“Not much,” Ginny said, “I wrote a letter to Gwenog Jones, asking her how I am going to get to the camp the first day. She wrote back and said the Floo Network would be connected, and not to worry.”

“It doesn't start for another week though, right?” Ron asked.

“Yeah,” Ginny said, then frowned, “Don't know what I'll do around here while Harry's at work.”

“Sight-see?” Harry suggested.

Ginny nodded. Deciding they didn't have to leave any time soon, Ron sat with Harry and Ginny in the living room and talked to them for a while.

----------------------------------------
(Hermione's POV)

An hour after she arrived at her parents' house, she was in the back of her parents' car, heading for her house. Her parents lived in Oxfordshire, so it would take a little while to get back to London. Hermione wondered if Ron would be at the house with Harry and Ginny when they arrived. Ron said something about leaving for their place shortly after she left, but he could use the Floo Network both ways, and he could have been back thirty minutes after he left. Of course, he knew she wouldn't be there, so he might have stayed for a while.

Because she was busy packing up the rest of her things in her old bedroom, Hermione hadn't had much of a chance for any deep conversation with her parents. She expected they would save that for the car ride. She was right.

“So, Hermione,” Richard said from the driver's seat, “How is your job? You haven't written about it since you started.”

“It isn't anything that's too confidential, is it?” Helen asked, “I know you're working for a judge.”

“Oh!” Hermione said, “No, no. It isn't anything like that. I've just been a little busy lately. Really, the only interesting thing I do is copy notes for each court case and they get copied into the wizarding newspaper. It's annonymous, so my name is never in the paper.”

“It must be good money if you can afford this house,” Richard said.

“Ron paid for the house, Dad,” Hermione said.

“And what does he do?” Richard asked.

Hermione thought she had told her parents what Ron did, but maybe they just forgot.

“He's an Auror,” she said, “Well, technically he's in Auror training.”

“Is that like the police?” Richard asked.

“Yeah, basically,” Hermione said, “My friend, Harry, is also an Auror-in-Training in well.”

“Have we met him?” Richard asked.

“Er...” Hermione said.

Honestly she didn't remember if Harry had ever officially met her parents. He might have seen them in the train station. Of course, she wasn't too sure how much her parents' memory had restored since their return from Australia. She had finally been able to find a way to restore it magically, but there were times when she thought that there were things they had forgotten.

“Well, you said he and Ron's sister are going to be at the house too, right?” Helen asked.

“They'll be there sometime today,” Hermione said, nodding.

“Well, we'll meet them then,” she said, smiling.

“Yeah, of course,” Hermione said.

Less than an hour later, they pulled up to the house. There was no driveway, so they had to park on the side of the road. When they walked in, Hermione noticed that Ron hadn't come back yet. At that thought, he wondered how he would come back with Harry and Ginny, and she deduced that they would probably arrive by Floo Powder. Hermione took her parents on a tour of the house. The only embarrassing moment of the whole tour was when her mother asked if she and Ron were sharing the bed. She decided to tell a little white lie, and tell her that Ron was sleeping on the couch, as they had originally decided. Hermione's mother looked a little relieved at this. Hermione felt guilty lying about it, but she decided it was okay. It was a very personal question to ask, she thought, even if it was her mother asking it.

While Hermione was showing her parents the back yard, she thought she heard a whoosh sound followed by a couple more minutes later. Hermione walked back into the house, and saw Harry, Ginny and Ron; Ron was magically cleaning up the soot and ash.

“Oh, you're here!” he said, when he noticed her walk in, “Are your parents here?”

Hermione was about to answer, when her parents walked into the living room.

Ron welcomed them to his house and shook their hands. He introduced them to Ginny and Harry. Hermione had decided that she didn't need to order pizza until around five, so they went into deep conversations. Well, all except her father, who was testing out the new television. Football was on: England against Spain. England had scored a goal as soon as Richard had turned it on and he cheered.

“When did Dad get so enthused about football?” Hermione asked her mother, as they led Ginny into the back yard.

Ron and Harry had stayed in the living room with Richard, and Hermione heard Harry telling Ron about the game.

“Oh,” Helen said, and Hermione noticed a little blush in her cheeks as if she was embarassed, “A friend of ours, a fellow dentist, won tickets to a game recently, and took your father with him. He had so much fun that he's now chosen to watch every game that comes around.”

Hermione started to explain to Ginny what football was, but Ginny put her hand up.

“When I visited Harry's relatives,” she said, “His uncle was watching it. Harry explained it to me. It's sorta like Quidditch, I'll say that.”

“Quidditch?” Helen asked.

“Ginny's a professional Quidditch player,” Hermione explained, “She starts her first training camp a week from Monday.”

Ginny then explained to Helen all the facts about Quidditch.

“Sounds like something Richard would love,” Helen said, laughing, after Ginny was finished.

“I'm not sure if any Muggles have ever been to a Quidditch game,” Ginny said.

“You've never played Quidditch, have you?” Helen asked Hermione.

“Mum, you know me,” Hermione said, “I hate heights. I only go on a broomstick when I have to.”

“I've never quite understood how broomsticks would be a good form of transportation,” Helen said, “They look downright uncomfortable.”

“Most have cushioning charms,” Ginny said, “Otherwise, yes, they would literally be a pain in the butt.”

Helen laughed.

“I'm going to make tea,” Hermione said, “Anybody want some?”

“Sure,” Ginny said.

“That would be lovely,” Helen said.

Hermione walked back into the house. As she went in, she heard her mother ask Ginny to tell her more about Quidditch. Hermione grinned and walked into the kitchen.

“Block that ring, I mean the goal!” Ron said.

Hermione laughed.

Great, she thought, Dad's going to make Ron a fan of the game. Just what I need.

Hermione made iced tea and cut a lemon into slices. She put three glasses on a tray and walked out of the kitchen.

“You boys having fun?” she asked as he walked past Ron, Harry and her father.

England scored another goal just as Ron was going to answer, then he turned back to the television and cheered.

“Tea's in the kitchen if you can get away from that,” Hermione said, rolling her eyes.

She walked back outside and served the tea.

--------------------------------------

Around five that evening, Hermione ordered three large supreme pizzas. While they were waiting for it, Hermione, Ginny and Helen set up the table. Hermione was going to ask the guys to help, but the game still had ten minutes to go, and she knew it was no use. When the pizza arrived forty-five minutes later, they sat around the table in the backyard. Sometime during the game, Harry and Ron must have told Richard about Quidditch, because now they were comparing football to it.

“Quidditch is much more physical than soccer,” Ron said, “There's none of those stupid penalties like off-sides and stuff.”

“Quidditch has no penalties?” Richard asked.

“Actually it probably has more penalties than football, Mr. Granger,” Harry said.

“Though, in football,” Hermione said to them, “I don't think anyone vanishes and turns up in the Sahara months later.”

Richard snorted into his tea.

“Maybe I will have to watch a Quidditch game!” he said, laughing.

Hermione rolled her eyes. She had meant that to be worse than it must have sounded.

“I'm not sure just yet how many tickets I can get,” Ginny said, to Richard, “But if I can get any, you can watch one of the games.”

Richard looked mighty happy about that. Hermione looked at her mother, and she knew what she was thinking: there's just no stopping them now.

Hermione's parents left around eight-o-clock, since they would have a little bit of a drive, and had to get up early the next morning. Harry and Ginny stayed and talked to Ron and Hermione. When Ginny went up to go to the bathroom, Harry spoke in whispers to Hermione and Ron.

“I've been trying to decide what I want to do for Ginny's birthday,” he said, “Any ideas?”

“Ginny's birthday is in the middle of the week, right?” Hermione said.

“Yeah, the eleventh,” Ron said.

“If you're planning a party,” Hermione said,”Wait for the weekend.”

“Yeah,” Harry said.

“We could have the party at your house,” Ron said, “Mum and Dad haven't seen your house and it's bigger than this one for a party of that size. Mum, of course, would want to have it at her house, but I know she and Dad want to see our houses. They can see both when they come up.”

“Yeah,” Harry said, “And then I can do something just for Ginny on her birthday.”

Hermione wondered for a moment just what Harry was going to do for Ginny. That exact subject was brought up when she went into the kitchen for more tea a few minutes later. Harry followed her.

“Can I talk to you in private for a moment?” Harry whispered to her.

Hermione nodded.

“I don't want to talk to Ron about this yet,” Harry said, “And I don't want you to mention it to him. I'll talk to him about it when I have to.”

“Okay,” Hermione said.

“You have to promise,” Harry said.

“Okay, I promise,” Hermione said, “What is it?”

Harry sighed, pausing for a moment. He looked at his feet then back to Hermione.

“I'm going to ask Ginny to marry me,” he said, “On her birthday, I mean.”

“Seriously?” Hermione asked.

“Yeah,” Harry said, “What do you think?”

“I think,” Hermione said, “it's brilliant. You are going to talk to Mr. Weasley about it first?”

Harry looked at her, but said nothing.

“It's traditional to ask that father for his daughter's hand in marriage, Harry,” Hermione said, “Even in the wizarding world.”

“Ron didn't ask your father, did he?” Harry asked.

“Harry, you know it wasn't planned when he asked me,” Hermione said, grinning, then sighed, “We talked to them a couple days after, though. They were happy with it, of course. You aren't worried about it, are you? Harry, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley love you.”

“I'm not worried,” Harry said, “I'm more... nervous about it.”

“You'll do fine,” Hermione said, smiling, “I'm sure Mr. Weasley will be okay with it, and I'm sure Ginny will say yes.”

Harry nodded.

“You won't say anything to Ron about it, right?” he asked.

“Harry, I promised,” Hermione said, “It's all up to you.”

“Good,” Harry said.

“You have the ring yet?” Hermione asked.

“It's my mother's old ring,” Harry said, nodding.

“Brilliant,” Hermione said.

Harry grinned and helped Hermione bring out the tea.

---------------------------------------
A/N: Couldn't figure another way to end it, so I ended it like that. Yes, I gave away my plans for Harry's popping the question, but I thought I'd bring it up. Ginny's birthday won't be for at least a couple of chapters. I have one or two chapters in mind before it.

At first, I thought this would be another filler chapter, but once everyone got to the house, it was better as it went. Hope you liked it!

Feedback would be wonderful, as always!