View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2009, 6:07 am
Snape Lover

Re: Temporary Last Author Standing Entries Thread

LAST AUTHOR STANDING

Topic: What Malfoy thought when he was slapped by Hermione

Entry #4

My great-grandmother Malfoy is insane. That's what father says at least.

Before Hogwarts I would be shipped away to her villa every summer while my parents made appearances in every noteworthy magical society in the world. Books and antiques inside and outside miles of landscapes to make an artist salivate--that's all there is. No quidditch, no horses, no nearby muggles to tamper with. Just dust and sunsets.

Gran has this thing for witty quotations. She plucks them from her books and stores them like antiques in her silver topped head, then pours them out on unsuspecting audiences at tea time. They're practically the only thing that comes out of her mouth any more. Mother says they keep her memory grounded.

The problem is that they have a habit of causing indigestion. They come back up at very inappropriate moments.

Father inherited Gran's wit, but he uses it with tolerable aplomb. He taught me that, "I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant" is the proper response to a blubbering shop assistant. Very useful that.

Not at all like Gran's. Her tidbits always come to mind when my plans don't work out quite as expected. Like while picking orange goo out of my hair after my less than successful potions prank last year. I almost broke the mirror after remembering her saying, "As long as you can laugh at yourself you will never cease to be amused." I was not amused. Laughter is for mocking and a Malfoy is never mocked.

That is why when I was simply noting with pragmatic criticism that "Professor Hagrid" was a snivelling simpleton not fit to teach and forming a further observation about how there aren't enough circuses to contain the freaks at this school, I was irritated to feel that chit Granger's hand swipe across my face. But I was enraged to hear my Gran's voice in my head, "Remember, people will judge you by your actions, not your intentions. You may have a heart of gold -- but so does a hard-boiled egg." Heart of gold indeed. I'm certainly under-appreciated, but as though I care about the judgments of peasants!

I was proud that I'd trained Vince and Greg well enough that they never brought up the event again. But in retaliation I plan to force a house elf to supply us with several dozen eggs and then make an omelette of that giants hovel of a house. Maybe no one will understand the symbolism, but it will make me feel better.

Last edited by kala_way; November 7th, 2009 at 6:26 am.
Sponsored Links