View Single Post
Old September 29th, 2010, 3:09 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Learning to Live Again

I know I said I'd have this up at the weekend, but I forgot So here it is.

Chapter 3

Lily awoke while it was still dark the next morning, but she could tell that the sky was lightening through the curtains and sunrise was fast approaching. It felt like a lifetime ago that she had escaped her home, when in reality it was no more than twelve hours ago. As she remembered the previous night, panic swelled inside of her. Instinctively, she looked over to Harry’s cot making sure he was still safe. He was sleeping serenely, with a slight smile on his face as if he didn’t have a care in the world.

She sat up with difficulty as sleeping on the sofa had given her a sore back and rubbed her eyes. Lily’s felt as if her hair and skin was greasy from sleeping in the robes she had worn all yesterday. It was a moment before she remembered that she had no other clothes to change into, having had not time to pack before leaving the house as quickly as possible last night.

Deciding that having a shower might make her feel a bit cleaner even if she had to put the same clothes on again, she scrambled out of the sleeping bag. Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw Sirius asleep in the chair he had settled in last night. She stood up, trying to be quiet so she didn’t wake up Sirius and Harry, and headed up the stairs to the bathroom.

Lily took her time in the shower, allowing herself to relax and trying to prepare for the day ahead, which she imagined would be just as tough as the previous evening. She was just finishing getting dressed when she thought she heard a disturbance downstairs. Lily stopped moving so she could hear more clearly – there was no doubt about it, someone was definitely shouting downstairs. Cursing herself for leaving her wand in the living room, Lily pulled her robes over her head and rushed out of the bathroom.

“Lily! LILY!”

It was Sirius shouting from downstairs, desperation clear in his voice.

“What?! What’s happened, Sirius?!” Lily shouted back, panic once again rising inside her – when was this ever going to end? As Lily reached the top of the stairs, Sirius did too. His panic stricken face quickly turned to one of relief once he saw Lily.

“I thought – You weren’t there – I woke up and you’d gone so I thought - something had happened,” Sirius panted, out of breath from sprinting up the stairs.

“I’m fine, I just came up here to have a shower – you made me panic! I thought – Harry – or Death Eaters at least!” Lily was relieved that nothing was wrong, but she was annoyed at Sirius for making her worry.

Out of the corner of her eye, Lily saw a figure move by the foot of the stairs in the darkness. She let out a small scream before clapping a hand over her mouth when it moved into the light and Lily saw who it was.

“Oh! I’m so sorry Remus; I didn’t see you and you frightened me,” Lily apologised.

“It’s okay. What are you doing here? I thought the idea was that you stayed with Harry at your place so Voldemort couldn’t find you? And where’s James? Sirius wouldn’t tell me anything.”

Lily’s eyes began to water – she had forgotten that Remus hadn’t heard about what happened and didn’t feel up to explaining it to him. She pushed past Sirius and walked down the stairs into the living room, ignoring Remus’ questions.

Once there, Lily saw that Harry had woken up and was standing up in his crib, holding onto the bars trying to see where everyone had gone. She picked him up and sat down on the sofa, settling him next to her where he started to play with the folds of the sleeping bag. Lily watched Harry for a minute, then looked up to see that Sirius and Remus had followed her and were standing by the door. Sirius was staring at the floor, Remus, however, was watching Lily, confused.

The four of them stayed in silence. Eventually, Lily sighed and looked back down at Harry. She would have to tell people at some point, and waiting wouldn’t make it easier. Lily took a deep breath and, still watching Harry, began to speak.

“Last night … V-Voldemort came to our house.”

Lily couldn’t carry on. Tears threatened to overflow once again; she turned away from Harry so that he wouldn’t see her crying but he seemed to have understood that something was wrong because he started patting her leg. When Lily didn’t turn back around, he began to cry. At this, Sirius strode over to the sofa to pick Harry up and started pacing around the room to quieten him down.

“W-what? That’s not possible – what about Peter?” Remus sounded dumbstruck, as if he couldn’t believe what he was hearing.

“I tried to go after him, but I couldn’t find him anywhere. He must have some hiding place we don’t know about,” Sirius said, in a weak attempt to appear angry.

No one spoke again for a moment. Lily looked up at Remus and could see from the expression on his face that he hadn’t grasped all of what had happened. When he spoke again, Lily’s thoughts were confirmed.

“But if you escaped, where’s James? Surely Dumbledore didn’t send him off somewhere? What … ?” Remus looked into Lily’s eyes and she saw the truth dawn on his face. “No,” he whispered, shaking his head. When neither Lily nor Sirius corrected him, he walked to the sofa and collapsed upon it.

Lily scooted over to Remus, put her arm around his shoulders and leant her head on his shoulder. She could feel him shaking as he cried and her own tears spilled over and started to drip off the end of her nose onto Remus’ shoulder.

They sat like that for a while, whilst Sirius held onto Harry. The sound of the front door opening made them jump and they sat up properly as Dumbledore entered the room.

“Ah, Remus, you’re already here, excellent. Did you two sleep alright last night?” He said, looking between Sirius and Lily. When neither of them answered, he carried on, “I’ll make some breakfast – what do you fancy?”

“I don’t want anything, I’m not hungry,” Lily replied.

“You should eat something, Lily. You won’t even have some toast?” responded Dumbledore, kindly.

“Sure – toast.” Lily knew that it would be pointless to argue with him over something as small as breakfast. Dumbledore turned to Sirius and Remus, expecting them to request something to eat. They stayed silent, causing Dumbledore to sigh sadly.

“Toast for three, then.” Again, everyone was silent. “What will Harry have?”

“He’ll just have some toast.” Dumbledore nodded and headed towards the dining room to get to the kitchen. “Thanks,” Lily shouted after him as an afterthought.

Silence, again; it was only broken by the sound of Dumbledore making breakfast in the kitchen. Lily wondered why he was at headquarters this early – it couldn’t be much later than seven o’clock – and surely he didn’t come here this early every day? She was just deciding that he must have arranged a meeting when she was distracted by voices in the hallway and the door opened.

The door opened and what seemed like half of the Order walked into the room: Rubeus Hagrid, Dedalus Diggle, Minerva McGonagall, Mad-Eye Moody, Elphias Doge, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore and Frank and Alice Longbottom, carrying Neville, brought up the rear. They all found somewhere to sit except Hagrid, who stood in a corner awkwardly. Just as everyone had settled down, Dumbledore entered holding his wand aloft and levitating a plate with a pile of toast on it.

Dumbledore rested the plate on the coffee table in the centre of the room and, almost at once, everyone went to grab a slice. Lily nibbled on hers, despite telling Dumbledore that she wasn’t hungry. She realised now that she was actually starving but the toast stuck in her throat and she seemed to have lost the ability to swallow. Lily carried on nibbling at her slice, however, thinking that she might feel a bit better with some food in her stomach. While everyone ate, Dumbledore stood up and began to speak.

Lily didn’t listen to a lot of Dumbledore’s speech as she was concentrating on eating her meagre breakfast and not allowing her thoughts to stray too far to make her upset again. Her focus drifted in and out, but she understood the gist of what was going to happen that day: a small group was going to go back to her house in Godric’s Hollow to make sure that there were no Death Eaters in the area and to see if there was anything they could rescue from the rubble, which they would transport back to the basement at headquarters. Ten minutes after the first group set off, the rest of the group would follow to provide back up in case there were Death Eaters. Frank and Alice were to go to work as usual, leaving Lily, Sirius, Remus, Harry and Neville behind with Hagrid for extra protection. Sirius had gotten angry when he realised that he wasn’t part of the plan.

“How come I’m not helping out?” He had asked.

“I thought it would be best for you to remain behind with the others –” Dumbledore had started before Sirius cut him off.

“I’m coming.”

Sirius couldn’t be persuaded to stay back so the plan was forced to change. Sirius would go with the first group accompanied by Minerva, Mad-Eye and Dumbledore so that Dumbledore could prevent him from doing anything rash. The rest were to follow afterwards as before.

Everybody started preparing to depart. Alice gave Neville to Remus to look after and Sirius handed Harry to Lily, while saying goodbye at the same time.

“Be careful,” Lily urged. “Don’t –”

Lily didn’t need to finish her sentence; Sirius knew what she was going to say. He said goodbye to Remus, and then Disapparated with the rest of the first group and Frank and Alice, who needed to go home before heading to the Ministry. Ten minutes later, the second group Disapparated, leaving Lily, Remus, Hagrid, Harry and Neville in silence in the living room.

Feedback would be welcome and it goes here

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Sponsored Links