View Single Post
Old April 23rd, 2007, 4:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Why was Voldemort's true identity as Tom Riddle not common knowledge?

Ah, here we go.

The Heir of Slytherin, Chamber of Secrets"You see?" he whispered. "It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most intimate friends only, of course. You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name forever? I, in whose veins runs the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side? I, keep the name of a foul, common Muggle, who abandoned me even when I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch? No, Harry - I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world!"

Sounds like he was disgusted by his birth name and wanted rid of it. He didn't want any ties between himself and his father to remain so he fashioned himself a new name he thought would strike fear into the hearts of his enemies.

It also sounds like he was not only ashamed of his father's blood but also angry that he'd abandoned him and his mother before he was even born. I'm not sure which bothers him the most...

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."

-- T.E. Lawrence

eghf
Sponsored Links