View Single Post
Old November 7th, 2003, 6:54 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic Beasts
Grogan Stump, the newly appointed Minister for Magic, decreed that a "being" was "any creature that has sufficient intelligence to understand the laws if the magical community and to bear part of the responsibility in shaping those laws
Surely that indicates that the "beings" have to be able to communicate to wizards? It also says that merpeople became "beings" due to the fact that people could translate what they were saying. As we have seen, to Harry, the merpeoples voices just sounded like screeches - you couldnt even recognise it as someone saying something. Therefore it is likely Dementors may be able to communicate somehow. I dont think it is necessarily the rattling breath, as that is just sucking in the air, but through the books so far, a Dementor has no reason to speak.

Quote:
So it is therefore my theory that a dementor is created when a lethifold has eaten a certain number of victums. The putrid breath and scabby horrible hands sound like a digested victim, and the fact they have human form under their black cloaks.
Thats a very good thought! But I think that there are still differences between Dementors and Lethifolds, that make it not true.
For a start, Dementors are listed as "beings" as they have responsibility, and intelligence, and are usually not a threat to people (but have often been tempted).
Whilst a Lethifold is described as a "beast" and has no interest in whether what it is doing is right or wrong, it seems unable to comunicate with wizards, and is a threat to asolutly anyone - you cannot bargain with them.
However, there are too many similarities for it to be a coincidence, perhaps they are related somehow, but still different (like humans and monkeys). i dont think a Lethifold can turn into a Dementor simly from eating a lot.

Quote:
"They breed in the darkest, filthiest places, they create decay and despair, they drain peace, hope and happiness out of any human who comes too close to them... Even Muggles feel their presence, though they can't see them. Get too near a dementor and every good feeling, every happy memory will be sucked out of you. You'll be left with nothing but the worst experiences of your life."
Im sure I had a dream about watching a Lethifold getting fatter...

Sponsored Links