View Single Post
Old November 16th, 2003, 12:54 am
Knower of things

was just browsing on line and I came across a curious theory.....Liselle

In rereading book three, I noticed several instances where the Dementors specifically target Harry. They first try to get at him on the train to Hogwarts; then they attack during the quidditch match. Though Lupin indicates they were drawn by their ever-growing hunger for the crowd, the book clearly states that Harry saw "At least a hundred dementors, their hidden faces pointing up at him," (Prisoner of Azkaban pg 178). Finally, they attempt to administer the dementor's kiss on Harry near the end of the book; the professors are alarmed, of course, but seem to think that the dementors were simply out of control. I think that the dementors are targeting Harry for a purpose, and we'll see why in one of the next books.

* aside we saw this in ootp obviously, here comes the interesting bit though!*

Perhaps they are more drawn to him because he has such dark memories, and consequently is a very satisfying prey. Or perhaps the dementors mistakenly think that Harry is actually Voldemort since Harry does seem to have acquired some of Voldemort's attributes, such as his ability to speak Parseltongue. Wouldn't it be interesting if Voldemort was finally destroyed by a dementor because of his connection with Harry? Voldemort mentions numerous precautions he took to avert his own death; perhaps the dementor's kiss is the only thing capable of destroying Voldemort.