Thread: Runaway
View Single Post
Old January 29th, 2007, 3:46 am
Sixth Year

Re: Runaway

Chapter Seven

Sirius emerged from a crowded and noisy street, to a crowded and noisy pub. Witches and wizards were everywhere, sitting at tables, drinking butterbeer, and chatting with each other. Sirius could have sworn that he saw a hag sitting at one table.

Not wanting to draw attention to himself, and having not brought any money with him, Sirius decided to sit down at an empty table at the far corner of the room. He was just about to settle down for a most-needed nap, when he heard a voice from behind him that startled him very badly.

“Sirius?”

Sirius whirled around and turned to face the person who had spoken. But the minute he saw who it was, he smiled and said, “Hello uncle.”

The man standing before him was indeed Sirius’ uncle. He had long, shaggy hair, and was dressed in a set of stained robes. The squinting of his eyes, the sway of his body, and the slight slur in his voice when he spoke told Sirius that he was drunk, as usual.

Alphard Black was Sirius’ mother’s brother. He had always been different from the rest of the Blacks, preferring to spend his time in bars and pubs, rather than with the family. However he did run a successful business in potion manufacturing, and had a decent amount of gold stored away in Gringotts, the wizarding bank.

“Wat the ‘ell are you doing ‘ere?”

“I ran away from home uncle.”

Alphard raised his eyebrows, then sat down at the table beside Sirius.

“Ran away eh? Heh, guess ya ‘ad enough huh?”

“Yes. I just couldn’t take it anymore. They were going to force me to marry Harriet Blorsin!”

“You mean that idiot daughter of those stuck-up Blorsins?”

Sirius had to smile, his uncle knew exactly how he felt about Harriet. Whenever he came over to visit, he always spent some time listening to Sirius’ latest tales about Hogwarts, his friends and their adventures together, and that stupid Harriet who didn’t know a troll from a pixie. Of all of the Blacks in the history of the Blacks, Alphard was the only person who Sirius was glad to be related to.

“Yeah. But I lost my temper and yelled at her and she completely lost it. So I decided to leave. And I’m never going back.”

“So where are ya gonna go?”

At this question, Sirius bit his lip and looked down at the table.

“I don’t know.” He mumbled.

Alphard chuckled, took a swig from his drink, and looked straight at Sirius.

“So, ya ran away from home. But ya don’t know where ya going, and I doubt ya brought any money with ya?”

Sirius’ reply was barely audible.

“No.”

Alphard coughed, and took another sip of his drink.

“Come with me.”

He led Sirius through the crowd to the back of the pub, where they emerged out into a small, walled courtyard, which only contained a single trashcan with a bunch of weeds sprouted out of the ground. Still drunk, it took Alphard awhile to locate the trashcan. And then he began senselessly poking his wand at various bricks in the general area above it.

“Here let me do it.”

Sirius stepped in front of his uncle and drew out his wand. Tapping the third up and second across brick from the trashcan three times, he stepped back and allowed the bricks to transform into a doorway in the wall in front of him. When it had finished and all the bricks had settled into their appropriate places, Sirius let his uncle step in front of him and lead the way as he followed.

And they emerged into the bright sunlight that was shining down onto the streets of Diagon Alley.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Sponsored Links