View Single Post
Old September 11th, 2007, 11:05 pm
I want to believe

Re: Bellatrix Lestrange: Character Analysis

b]1. Bellatrix is often seen as the most fanatical of Voldemort's supporters. Why do you think it is that she has devoted her life and efforts so wholly to Voldemort? What influences in her family and life could have led to her becoming one of the most feared Death Eaters? Could she have any romantic feelings for Voldemort?[/b]
Bellatrix seems a bit unstable if you ask me - a bit psychotic like Voldemort. I think she must have just had a very strong belief in Voldemort's ideals, and then later became obsessed with them and with Voldemort. I'm sure her family growing up must have taught her many of those ideals, so that must have influenced her worldview. As for romance with Voldemort, it's possible, but I think it more likely that she was just obsessed with him.

2. What do you suppose leads Bellatrix to distrust Snape so, as seen in the HBP chapter 'Spinner's End'? Does this cast any doubts upon her complete trust in Voldemort? Does it speak of any prior relationship with Snape?
Perhaps it could have to do, in part, with her knowledge of occlumency. Maybe she was getting some vibes from Snape when his guard was lowered. Or perhaps she wanted a reason to doubt him because she was jealous of his apparent high position within Death Eater ranks. I don't think she had any prior relationship to Snape other than being a fellow Death Eater with him.

3. What kind of relationship do you think that Bellatrix had with her cousin, Sirius, for her to so easily battle against, and ultimately have a hand in killing him?
Sirius was the 'black sheep' of the family, if you will. I can imagine that they two of them fought constantly and didn't ever get along. This likely fostered a lot of hatred between the two of them, which could explain their duel in the DoM.

4. Bellatrix is said to have been at school and joined forces with several other Death Eaters prior to Harry's parents being at Hogwarts. What factors do you see as contributing to the turning of Bellatrix and her peers to Voldemort, and how could they have gotten away with this in the middle of Hogwarts?
The need for power and attention and the need to belong to an influential organization is likely what drew people to Voldemort's following. As for how they got away with it at school - I'm guessing they kept it as discreet as they could, not performing any dark magic in the corridors. Dumbledore likely suspected something, but there may not have been anything he could do since he wasn't the Headmaster at that point and because he likely only had suspicions and hunches rather than hard proof.

5. Bellatrix seems to have a fondness for the Cruciatus curse. What do you think that this says about her personality and history?
I think it demonstrates that she's a violent and often sadistic person. She has a liking for causing pain and suffering.

6. What do you think of her hatred of Tonks for marrying a werewolf?
Typical of an intolerant Death Eater. She likely sees werewolves as subhuman. And I think she might have been jealous of Tonks' happiness with Remus.

7. Do you think Belltrix could have been redeemed?
I'm leaning towards 'no' on that one. She seemed too far gone to be redeemed (though not as far gone as Voldemort).

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links