View Single Post
Old June 1st, 2007, 3:58 pm
First Year

Re: The Potters and their money, how and why were they so rich?

Quote:
Anelli, Melissa and Emerson Spartz. "The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet interview Joanne Kathleen Rowling: Part Three," The Leaky Cauldron, 16 July 2005

MA: What about Harry's family — his grandparents — were they killed?

JKR: No. This takes us into more mundane territory. As a writer, it was more interesting, plot-wise, if Harry was completely alone. So I rather ruthlessly disposed of his entire family apart from Aunt Petunia. I mean, James and Lily are massively important to the plot, of course, but the grandparents? No. And, because I do like my backstory: Petunia and Lily's parents, normal Muggle death. James's parents were elderly, were getting on a little when he was born, which explains the only child, very pampered, had-him-late-in-life-so-he's-an-extra-treasure, as often happens, I think. They were old in wizarding terms, and they died. They succumbed to a wizarding illness. That's as far as it goes. There's nothing serious or sinister about those deaths. I just needed them out of the way so I killed them.

MA: That sort of shuts down Heir of Gryffindor [theories], as well.

JKR: [Pause.] Yeah. Well - yeah.

MA: Another one bites the dust.

[Laughter]

JKR: Well, there you go. See, I'm aware that “Half-Blood Prince” will not delight everyone, because it does shoot down some theories. I mean, if it didn't, I haven't done my job right. A few people won't particularly like it, and a lot of people aren't going to like the death very much, but that was always what was planned to come.

Hmmm...I don't see how the Heir to Godric Gryffindor theory is shut down at all. The interviewer was the one who asked if the theory was shut down, and the question seemed to come out of the blue; J.K. might have just been playing along.

My theory is that James Potter is indeed the heir of Gryffindor, and that he left the Invisibility Cloak with Dumbledore as well as Gryffindor's sword, and Dumbledore needed the Invisibility Cloak in order to protect the sword, because he had a sneaking suspicion that Voldemort really wanted it.

But, knowing, J.K. Rowling, there will always be twists, so here is the second part of the theory:

A long time ago (maybe a hundred years ago?) the last heir of Gryffindor is dying. He is a half-blood, because Gryffindor probably didn't care if his descendants married Muggles, and probably encouraged it.

But he knows a poor pureblood family, and they are very close (kind of like Harry and the Weasleys today). The last heir of Gryffindor knows that they'll never take money that he offers to them directly, so in his last will, he leaves everything of his to them, and the poor family now becomes rich.

The family is called Potter, and three generations later, James is born, and he marries a Muggle-born (Lily), which is more of what Godric Gryffindor would have wanted to happen. James becomes able to wield Godric's sword, and he moves to Godric's Hollow, which is where Godric Gryffindor initially lived.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links