View Single Post
Old December 29th, 2010, 10:43 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Learning to Live Again

Another chapter is up I've gone back and sorted out a plot hole from chapter 1 that I skimmed over hoping no one would notice No one's mentioned it so far so I think I got away with it but it was annoying me It's nothing major and doesn't affect anything so no need for anyone to go back.

Chapter 14

“Lily – stop it! You’re making me seasick.”

Lily stopped. She had been pacing around the kitchen ever since eight o’clock, unable to keep still. She hadn’t had the concentration to make breakfast, resulting in her and Sirius going without, and had only put together a bowl of cereal for Harry so that he wouldn’t cry. Sirius was sat at the table feeding him.

“You said he’d be back by now,” said Lily, checking her watch for the tenth time in two minutes.

“I said he’s normally back by now. I don’t know why you’re so worried.”

“Something could have gone wrong! Or something might have happened to him! What if the potion was wrong and it’s injured him in some way? Or Death Eaters found him and they’ve taken him? I don’t see how you’re not worried too.”

“Because he’s a big boy who knows how to deal with it. You know as well as I do that nothing’s wrong with that potion – we’ve already had this conversation a million times. And you’re seriously worried that he’s been attacked? If the potion didn’t work, he’s a bloodthirsty werewolf who won’t want to be captured. If it did work, he’s still the size and has the power of a bloodthirsty werewolf, and he doesn’t want to be captured. No one’s going to attack him and get away with him.”

Sirius shrugged as if he’d won the argument.

It was the morning after the full moon and the sun had risen hours ago. So far there had been no sign of Remus. Lily continued pacing for a minute or so until Sirius interrupted her again.

“Seriously, Lily. Your worry is infectious, stop.”

“Good, I don’t think you’re taking this seriously.” Lily thought she saw Sirius about to make his usual joke about always being “Sirius”. Thankfully, he chose to not make the remark this time.

“I don’t see the point in worrying. It’s stupid.”

“If I were you, I’d worry about keeping all your limbs, Sirius.” Lily asked, brandishing her wand threateningly. “You’re starting to annoy me.”

“Now, in that case it’s not necessarily my limbs I’m worried about,” Sirius smirked and winked. Lily rolled her eyes.

“You’re such a man.”

“I don’t know whether to be worried that you didn’t know that before, or glad that you’ve finally worked it out.”

Lily made sure that Harry’s attention was elsewhere before making a rude hand gesture at Sirius.

“Ooh, don’t make Lily angry.”

“I don’t know whether to be worried that you didn’t know that before, or glad that you’ve finally worked it out,” Lily quoted back at him. “The threat still stands.”

“You wouldn’t dare.” Sirius turned his back on her to feed Harry.

“Watch me,” she snarled and purposefully aimed a jinx to just miss Sirius’ head. He jumped in shock and, eyes wide, pulled out his own wand.

“You asked for it,” he said, sending a jet of light back at Lily.

The pretend duel grew increasingly competitive until Lily and Sirius both were concentrating with all their might on hitting the other with a spell. Harry laughed, amused by the bright lights, whilst spells shattered jars that stood on the counter top.

Lily thought that Sirius, who had begun the duel with a grin, had arrogantly expected to win. This was not the case, however, and the grin had quickly faded from his face. Lily ducked and weaved her way around the kitchen to avoid the jets of light sent her way, sending just as many back at him.

Unfortunately, Lily had dodged her way into a corner and had to throw herself onto the floor in order to avoid the flash of crimson light that Sirius aimed at her. In the time it took her to get back up, Sirius had run to the door and was already making his way through the dining room and into the lounge.

“Come back, Sirius Black, you coward!” shouted Lily, running after him.

He laughed and sent a spell behind him. Lily blocked it easily with a Shield Charm. She had reached the hallway now and Sirius was already halfway up the stairs. She followed him up and aimed a Tripping Jinx that found its mark just as Sirius reached the top, sending him face first into the landing.

Petrificus totalus,” said Lily, pointing her wand at Sirius and making her way casually up the stairs. When she reached the top, Lily rolled him over with her foot so that he was staring at the ceiling.

“What were you saying about not worrying about your limbs?” Lily grinned evilly and mimed cutting off his arms and legs with her wand.

A noise from downstairs made her look up and search for its source. Lily aimed her wand at the bottom of the stairs where she could see the back of someone’s head as they shut the front door behind them. It was only when the man turned around and glanced up the stairs, his tired expression quickly turning to one of confusion, that Lily recognised him.

“Remus!” she shrieked, sprinting down the stairs and hugging him with so much force that he had to take a step back.

Remus appeared overwhelmed by Lily’s enthusiastic greeting, and he tentatively put his arms around her. Lily released him and started speaking so quickly that she had barely finished the previous word before she was forcing the next one out.

“Are you okay? We’ve been worried sick! Sirius said that you were normally back earlier than this and I thought something had happened to you. Did the potion work? I – ”

“Lily, calm down.” The corners of Remus’ mouth twitched.

“I’m sorry, I just – ” Even though he was clearly tired and probably in pain, Remus raised his eyebrows at her with a smile and Lily stopped talking immediately.

“Nothing happened. I’m fine. Yes, it worked, I –” He frowned. “Where’s Sirius?”

Lily clapped a hand to her mouth – she had momentarily forgotten about Sirius, lay at the top of the stairs and unable to move. She pointed her wand up the staircase and muttered the counter curse. They heard Sirius groan as he got to his feet and made his way downstairs.

“Don’t mess with Lily,” he said to Remus and, without another word, he limped into the living room, rubbing his stomach.

Lily and Remus followed him into the kitchen where the mess she and Sirius had made during their duel was still visible and Harry was sat in his high chair, happily throwing the rest of his breakfast across the table.

Remus stopped in the doorway.

“What happened here?”

“Never mind,” said Sirius, taking his seat beside Harry.

“What Sirius means is that I beat him in a duel,” said Lily, who waved her wand so that the broken jars fixed themselves and the food lying on the floor (and most of the other surfaces in the kitchen) disappeared. Lily and Remus joined Sirius at the table.

“Well?” said Sirius. He turned so that he was facing Remus. “Did it work?”

“I – yes, it did.” Remus looked Lily in the eyes. “Thank you.”

There was something in the genuine sincerity of his voice that made Lily’s face feel hot and she was sure she was blushing.

“No problem,” she said, then stood up, suddenly embarrassed and wanting to be doing something. “What does everyone want for breakfast?”

Lily started looking in the cupboards, which she found were nearly empty.

“Dunno, what have we got?”

“Err, not a lot,” Lily said as she pushed aside the few packs of food in the cupboard to see if there was anything else hidden at the back. “We have eggs and flour in here… hmm, I think we have some milk somewhere – we could make pancakes.”

“Hmm?”

Lily looked over her shoulder. Remus, who had had his arms crossed on the table in front of him with his head resting on them and looked as if he was barely holding onto consciousness, was now sat up properly, obviously having perked up at the mention of pancakes.

“Oh no, he’ll be wanting them all day now,” Sirius groaned, but Lily could tell that he joking.

“I don’t think I’ve ever only eaten pancakes all day.” Remus put his head back on his arms.

“No, I think we tried to once because you’d always be in a good mood no matter what day it was if you had them for breakfast at school. I can’t remember you complaining about it.”

It didn’t take long for the room to start smelling of pancakes. Remus wanted to help but Lily thought he looked so tired it might have been more dangerous than if he didn’t. She managed not to burn them too badly and, soon, they had all been eaten.

Sirius pushed his chair away from the table once he had finished, as if he was expecting his stomach to grow suddenly with the amount he had eaten.

“What time is it?” he asked.

“Quarter past ten,” said Lily. “Don’t you have to be at the Ministry at half past?”

“Yeah, I didn’t realise it was that late. I don’t know why I’m bothering going, though. It’s not as if I want anything the old bat left me.” Sirius stood up and started looking around for his cloak. Dumbledore had heard the day after Boxing Day that Sirius had been asked to be present at the reading of his mother’s will. Everyone had been surprised at this, as they had all been under the impression that the majority of his family had disowned him and removed him from their wills. No one had any ideas as to what Sirius could have been left; he had suggested that maybe there was an old something in the attic that was charmed to try to kill whoever picked it up.

There had been so many arguments over Sirius going on his own that Lily had lost count. With the rest of his family being known Death Eaters (to the Order, at least) and likely to be there, Sirius was taking a risk going. But, in the end, it had been decided that they were unlikely to attack him in the middle of the Department for Magical Law Enforcement.

Sirius found his cloak and said goodbye to Lily and Remus, kissing Harry on the forehead before he left.

They heard the front door shut and went to sit in the living room. Harry’s attention was immediately absorbed by the pile of toys that stayed there almost constantly. There was no point in tidying them up a lot of the time, as they would just have to be found again for him to play with. Remus collapsed into an armchair and now sat with his eyes closed. Lily, sat on the floor and playing with Harry, was sure he wasn’t actually asleep. She could see him smile slightly out of the corner of her eye whenever she had to tell Harry off for attacking the Christmas tree that they hadn’t taken down yet.

“I thought you said the potion worked?”

Remus opened his eyes. “It did – I’ve not come back with bite marks and cuts as long as my arm.”

“You normally come back like that?” Lily’s eyes widened. Remus had never gone into the details of his transformations with anyone – the others had only known because they had been there while it happened.

“Not always. That’s kind of the worst that can happen. Most of the time it’s a few scratches.”

Lily thought about this for a moment. She supposed it made sense: it wasn’t exactly in a werewolf’s nature to curl up and go to sleep so being isolated from anything else would result in one attacking itself.

“What did it actually do then? The potion?”

Remus didn’t answer straight away – he looked as if he was trying to think of the right way to phrase his explanation.

“Normally at the full moon, it’s not me. It takes over and I can’t remember anything. It’s pure animal. But last night… I kept my mind. I was still me, just in a different body, I suppose that’s what it’s like when someone’s an animagus. So I curled up and went to sleep. That’s why I was late back this morning –sorry. I woke when I was transforming back but drifted back to sleep.”

“And now you’re still tired?” Lily teased, making Remus laugh. “So it definitely helped?”

“Yes, it definitely helped. I don’t think it’s going to take that long to get used to.”

Lily went back to playing with Harry, letting Remus rest. He didn’t have long to rest, however. Harry soon got bored of his ‘quiet’ toys and found in the pile the small box and wand that Sirius had given him. The room was full of the howling, barking and grunting, and, no matter how hard Lily tried to distract Harry with other toys, he refused to give up the wand that controlled it.

Then, she heard a voice from behind her.

“Having trouble?”

Lily turned around guilty. Remus had his eyes open again and was fighting a smile.

“I’m sorry, I tried to get him to stop but he’s a stubborn little –”

“Lily, I’d have gone upstairs if I wanted quiet, wouldn’t I?”

“You were sleeping. I didn’t want to wake you.”

“I was failing at trying not to fall asleep, actually. Sleeping during the day messes with my body clock.”

“If you didn’t want to go to sleep you should have come down here and played with me and Harry,” Lily laughed. “He doesn’t give you much time for rest.”

He considered this point for a moment. Then, stretching, Remus climbed out of the chair and sat down on the floor next to Lily.

Leave some feedback over here!

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Sponsored Links