Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus – A Mere Proverb, or an Important Clue?

Old February 2nd, 2005, 2:23 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus – A Mere Proverb, or an Important Clue?

Discussion for
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus – A Mere Proverb, or an Important Clue? by Bojana Kenda.

You know who?
Avada Kedavra!
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 2:27 am
First Year

Very interesting. Good thoughts, though I'm not sure they're right. Still, a very well-written editorial!

Old February 2nd, 2005, 2:57 am
First Year

I am sure that the Hogwarts motto does have some meaning besides the obvious. However, I do not have any idea what it is, and frankly this editorial did not illuminate anything for me. If the Hogwarts founders wrote the motto in the 10th or 11th century, they would not have had a 19th century poem in mind, for starters; I don't think you're really onto anything connecting the words to the houses. Also, even if JKR is using the word draco as a double entendre to refer to Malfoy, the Hogwarts founders again would not have been. Therefore, there is still no explanation as to why the founders chose this proverb as the school motto.

But the music was only part of the harpers’ repertoire. They also could perform magic.
—Sylvia Woods, The Harp of Brandiswhiere

Woe unto such as break a harp string.
—Scottish proverb

Hang the harpers wherever found, and destroy their instruments!
—Queen Elizabeth I
Old February 2nd, 2005, 3:22 am
RheyTheMuggle

While I think that the article is quite imaginative I believe that the author is over thinking a little bit. Aside from the motto being just plain good general advice, the motto is most likely a statement advising the reader not to "tickle" a specific "sleeping dragon" which would most likely be Hogwarts itself. In other words don't mess with Hogwarts or else. A warning that Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters may discover the truth of if(when?) they decide to attack the school.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 3:31 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I agree with you 100% RheyTheMuggle I think you hit it on the nose welldone.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 4:06 am
First Year

Well, when I saw this article, I thought it was interesting, then it occured to me: Hogwarts is the sleeping dragon and Voldemort's tickling it. What about that? I don't know, just an idea...

Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:01 am
First Year

Yeah, I agree that Hogwarts is the dragon. We've had a theme flowing through the story of underage wizards being shielded from things by older ones (by Mrs. Weasley not letting them hear things about the Order, etc.). The adults won't trust the story of two thirteen year olds that Sirius was innocent. They're simply not old enough, etc. We all know this is rubbish; look at how brilliant the twins are in foiling Umbridge's first day as Headmistress. I think if battle comes to Hogwarts, we shall see what strength some little children have on their side.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:06 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpwench
I am sure that the Hogwarts motto does have some meaning besides the obvious. However, I do not have any idea what it is, and frankly this editorial did not illuminate anything for me. If the Hogwarts founders wrote the motto in the 10th or 11th century, they would not have had a 19th century poem in mind, for starters; I don't think you're really onto anything connecting the words to the houses. Also, even if JKR is using the word draco as a double entendre to refer to Malfoy, the Hogwarts founders again would not have been. Therefore, there is still no explanation as to why the founders chose this proverb as the school motto.
You just completely refuted that editorial. (Although it was incredibly well thought out and written!)

That said...I think everyone's over thinking it. When I read SS for the first time, I -- like everyone -- didn't know a thing about this magical school called Hogwarts. One of the first things we're told is that this school has a motto. The motto? "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon". My first though: How silly! Just like Dumbledore's speech, ("Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!"), this motto is just a way to introduce Hogwarts as this wonderful, magical, and somewhat silly school for wizards. That's it.

...Or at least that'll be my opinion until a brilliant editorial comes along that tells me otherwise......or, of course, until JK herself clears it all up for me

Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:39 am
First Year

RHEYTHEMUGGLE nailed it. I was think that from the start of the editorial.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:44 am
First Year

I agree that Hogwarts is probably the sleeping dragon. It's the only place that Voldemort didn't attack right? So maybe if he tries it's gonna blow up in his face.
Another strand could be that it's a warning to just anyone who tries to interfere with the school. The MoM comes to mind here, although the founders probably wouldn't have specifically meant them. They interfered with Hogwarts and Dumbledore definitely kicked some butt when they pushed him too far.
Don't mess with Hogwarts. I like that alot.

Have you? Haaaaaave you??????
Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:58 am
First Year

I also agree with RheyTheMuggle...it deals with Hogwarts. Mess with and you're dead.

That reminded me about a quote from the movie Pearl Harbor. The Japanese admiral when asking if to attack America.
Admiral Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant.

It was creative how the author tied each word to a house though.

Meghana

Old February 2nd, 2005, 7:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghana
I also agree with RheyTheMuggle...it deals with Hogwarts. Mess with and you're dead.

That reminded me about a quote from the movie Pearl Harbor. The Japanese admiral when asking if to attack America.
Admiral Yamamoto: I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant.
I really like this idea. I think it is the best of them all.

The editorial was almost completely lost on me, until the author came to the Malfoy part. Yes, I know the the founders would not have been talking about Draco Malfoy when they wrote the school motto, but I still think it's interesting to think about.

But I like this idea about Hogwarts the best...don't mess with hoggy warty Hogwarts!

"Prophesy is but history in reverse - a divine disclosure of future events." Ezra Taft Benson

Blood Ties and Ancient Magic, an original editorial by simplybecky
Old February 2nd, 2005, 8:18 am
Second Year

I enjoyed your article - I really liked the the bit about how if Draco is provoked enough he could be Harry's downfall. It was very interesting - loves it!

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:09 am
First Year

I can just imagine the mischievious twinkle on Jo's face as she came up with this motto. It has been a tradition of schools (especially private schools) to have a latin motto which, when translated says something prophetic such as 'Strive to Achieve' or 'Born to Fly Upwards'. I'm sure she hoped that her avid fans (that's us guys) would see that Latin motto on the Hogwarts crest and be sure that it would translate into a prophetic phrase that would give us a deep and meaningful clue into the future happenings in the world of Harry Potter. As we eagerly seek the translation to this prestigious institution what do we get..........Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon??? I like her sense of humour and irony.

I do like the theory about Hogwarts being the dragon brought up in this discussion, however. We all like that one RheyTheMuggle!

Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:58 am
First Year

I looked up the meaning of a "motto" and came up with this: "A motto is a phrase or collection of words intended to describe the motivation or intention of a sociological grouping or organization."
So I've always thought that "Never tickle a sleeping dragon" was an attitude adopted by Hogwarts. That is how the members of Hogwarts should or would act in life.
Still I liked the ideas stated in the editorial. Each word representing each house, and Draco as the sleeping dragon tickled by Harry.. Curious very curious...

Last edited by regi; February 2nd, 2005 at 11:00 am. Reason: spelling errors
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:05 am
First Year

Well in my opinion Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus (Never tickle a spleeping dragon) obviously does refer to a "don't provoke" the dragon. But who's the dragon. Voldemort says you, Hogwarts says I. I believe there is much more to Hogwarts, and that if it found itself in danger, the students would unite to defend it. Perhaps what it means is: don't mess up with Hogwarts, or else. That's my opinion. goodbye!
Bilanrocksyoursocksandyouknowit.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 1:48 pm
First Year

Good point RheyTheMuggle!
I had never thought of it that way and now it looks very probable to me. I don't think that it is meaningless, I've always believed there was more to it.

Another "motto" that makes me wonder is the one on the Fan Site Award in JK's site. I can't make out exactly what it says but I'm sure that one of the words is "amor". Could this be a hint on how Harry will vanquish Voldemort? I always thought that the pictures on the crest represented the people who are going to be inolved in the vanquishing: Harry-lightning bolt scar, Hermione-book, Ron-dvination orb, Ginny-heart/love for Harry(?).

Any thoghts on that?

I apologise if I'm off topic. If that is the case could someone please direct me to a relevant thread?

(Puffins are seabirds that look like little penguins.)
Old February 2nd, 2005, 3:35 pm
First Year

I'm wondering if Hermione isn't the one "tickling" Draco, rather than Harry. Tickling is more annoying than dangerous (even though the response of the dragon is dangerous). Since Draco considers Hermione beneath him, she's more of a major irritation than a danger (in his mind). His response to her, however, may be fatal (or at least close).

Just a thought. On the other hand, it doesn't seem to make much sense that the main character wouldn't be involved at all in the whole scenario....

Nice article!

Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:19 pm
First Year

Quote:
While I think that the article is quite imaginative I believe that the author is over thinking a little bit. Aside from the motto being just plain good general advice, the motto is most likely a statement advising the reader not to "tickle" a specific "sleeping dragon" which would most likely be Hogwarts itself. In other words don't mess with Hogwarts or else. A warning that Lord Voldemort and the Death Eaters may discover the truth of if(when?) they decide to attack the school.
This is what I initially thought also. This makes a lot more sense than what the author said. I wish someone who analyze Dumbledore's welcoming speech in SS/PS "Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" What the heck was that all about?

Shine on you crazy diamond.
You were caught on the crossfire of childhood and stardom, blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter, come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr,
and shine!
Old February 2nd, 2005, 5:25 pm
First Year

What if these words (alongwith suggesting HOGGY is the Draco) also stand for what each founder did griffindor did the tickling allright .Hufflepuff was oblivios of a larger problem and rowena the beautiful never interfered?
We likes this theory , we does my precious gollum gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMrsStef2U
This is what I initially thought also. This makes a lot more sense than what the author said. I wish someone who analyze Dumbledore's welcoming speech in SS/PS "Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak!" What the heck was that all about?

Dear miss or mister
He was calling to the house elves , or atleast the servants that JKR and envisioned before the second book cleared that up (since house elves are introduced then)

those are undoubtedly the names of the chief chefs of hogwarts kitchens

Thing how does dobby , winky et all sound like ???

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial