Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

R.A.B. -- The Next Metamorphmagus We値l Meet

Old May 22nd, 2006, 5:53 am
MuggleNet Editorial

R.A.B. -- The Next Metamorphmagus We値l Meet

Discussion for R.A.B. -- The Next Metamorphmagus We値l Meet by John G.

Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:13 am
Fourth Year

Re: R.A.B. -- The Next Metamorphmagus We値l Meet

Very intriguing article.
I would just like to point out a couple of things

[0] I believe that the author is associating the potion with the barrier created at the astronomy tower, however the characteristic effects of each is different. AD says the he is blocked and cannot go any closer whereas lupin mentions that he and neville are THROWN BACK(hospital scene). So unless there are many spells for "dark mark arm permeable barriers", this association seems false to me. Seems more likely that Regulus would have done as AD did and searched through LVs past(he as afterall associated more with Voldemort followers then AD is and like barty crouch jr a highly intellgient person).

[1] Lucius is a high ranking officer in LV's court and would have been late 25+ when Voldemort gave him the diary.

[2]the author mentions that Voldemort could trust teens with duties. However in Draco's Case was it not implied that it was done as a joke/punishment because lucius had failed Voldemort once more, and many believed him draco to fail and die in the attempt. Though based on the Barty Crouch Jr(probably really good friends with Regulus) example one could imply that he could do so, but i wonder if he was percieved as a "bona fide" Death eater by Voldemort before the attack on the potters. Crouch was however with people 5-10 years his age(Rudolphus/Bella) when they attacked the longbottoms but this does not imply that he was highly looked upon since it would seem that Bellatrix OR Rudolphus would be in command of the 4.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:32 am
First Year

nice email id ladylupin would be pleased!
almost all R.A.B articles are something to ponder, the metamorphomagus theory is credible, but i can't seem to place any character we know in regulus's mould,
is it possible that regulus has rejoined the DE's, pretending to be someone else? With Voldemort around its a long shot, but plausible.Or it could be someone horribly disfigured ,as it is in such cases(not moody certainly, one impostor moody is enough).
or could it be someone with a very low profile, maybe like Mr.Borgin? i read an excellent editorial on that once, about 3 likely candidates who could be R.A.B.
or maybe Ernie prang, the Knight Bus driver, that would be interesting.
or maybe regulus just could be .... an ANIMAGUS, thats possible, Pettigrew managed to hide as a rat for 12 years maybe regulus could....
incidentally, who are the 6 animagi who would have registered in this century other than Prof.McGonagall? i would like to know that

Old May 22nd, 2006, 2:40 pm
First Year

Has anyone laid the link between this Metamorphmagus editorial (which was a good and illuminating one, BTW) and the big blond DE?

It has been suggested earlier (on the Spinner's End forums, I believe) that the BBDE was really Charlie Weasley or Caradoc Dearborn in disguise. I replied by saying they would've been recognised (by Ron+Ginny and Lupin+McGonagall respectively). Of course they could be Polyjuiced, but in that case it could be anyone: even a one-year-old who accidentally drank some of it.

But of course the BBDE could also be a Metamorphmagus. This person is unlikely to be associated with the Order, however, because they already have Snape spying on Voldemort. Also, an inside Order member disguised as the BBDE would've tipped the Order about the Hogwarts invasion plan, which they didn't.

EDIT: I was looking into some old editorials, and saw "The Burning Question of Emmeline" which argued that Emmeline Vance's death was faked.

So the BBDE is probably someone who is
1. Probably a Metamorphmagus;
2. Good at Occlumency (with Voldemort around);
3. Probably not associated with the Order, yet trying to help them and Harry;
4. Not missed by anyone.

RAB could fit these criteria. He is, however Sirius may suggest otherwise, likely to be a relatively powerful wizard. Even if he is not a Metamorphmagus, he could still have rejoined the DE's as the BBDE, though that would mean condemning himself to a lifetime of drinking Polyjuice Potion and risking detection at night.

EDIT: When looking into some old editorials, I ran into "The Burning Question of Emmeline", which argues Emmeline Vance's death was faked. She is an Order member, but it is possible that Dumbledore put the need for her disappearance to a use: Snape won't be able to contact the Order much after HBP, and they may need an insider who is able to more frequently visit Grimmauld Place.

Last edited by RoanKattouw; May 22nd, 2006 at 2:48 pm.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:02 pm
Fifth Year

JKR said Regulus is dead.

Also, he could have expected to be killed for defecting IF Voldemort would have no idea that he knew about the Horcrux. Karkaroff was killed for defecting, and Voldemort didn't check the cave then. Given the note's line about discovering the secret, I think it's very reasonable to say that Voldemort had no idea that Regulus knew about the Horcrux, so Regulus's defection would not cause Voldemort to check on the locket.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:12 pm
First Year

Here are the problems I see with this theory:
(1) If Rugulus were alive, would Number 12 Grimmauld Place not pass on to him? We are told that the next male Black automatically gets the house, so Harry could only get it if Rugulus is indeed dead. I cannot believe such a sophisticated family as the Blacks (who after all made the house unplottable and all those things) would not have a spell automatically detecting the next male heir.
(2) While I agree we will either see another Metamorphmagus or Tonk's talents will come in useful in some way (otherwise why introduce the concept?) I find it hard to believe that Regulus is such Metamorphmagus. This is an innate ability (Tonks tells us) and therefore it is increadible that Sirius would not know such an important talent of his brother's, they would have had a lot of fun with it growing up. Likewise it would be odd if Sirius knew of this talent and did not mention it somehow, there were plenty of opportunities for that and withholding such vital information would be a cheap trick on JKR's part - not something she is known for.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:17 pm
First Year

This is a little off from this editorial, but maybe Regulus died because he had to drink that potion the horcrux was in, like Dumbledore did. He could have written the note, and someone could have been there with him to replace the real horcrux with the fake one (with the note inside).

Old May 22nd, 2006, 3:47 pm
Banned

Interesting theory but if as was suggested above that JK did say Regulus was dead it has a major flaw.
However he may be RAB and did have something to do with the replacement of the locket and i suspect it was the Locket in Grim Place tha nobody could open. Now whether that shifty Fletcher fellow nicked it or that miserable elf Kreacher has it hoarded amongst the things he was squirrelling away in his hidey hole - that is the burning question.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 4:07 pm
Curse Breaker

There are two huge problems with this idea. First, JKR has stated that Regulus is dead. That falsifies the idea that he can come back unless we assume that JKR is lying.

Two is more probabilistic, but renders the idea hopelessly unlikely. Voldemort acquired the Locket years before Regulus was born (with the Locket acquired in the late 1940's and Regulus born in the early 1960's). The Locket was almost certainly hidden long before Regulus was born, nevermind long before Regulus was old enough to be of service.

Regulus' role will be very different. Somehow, he learned an awful lot about Voldemort. Harry needs that knowledge because Dumbledore's notes/memories/etc. simply are not enough to find the two remaining hidden Horcruxes. (If they were, then Dumbledore would have done so.) How Regulus acquired these, why he betrayed Voldemort, etc., are backstory that we'll get in a small dose: remember, RAB must be only a small part of VII: Harry has two more Horcruxes to find, then Nagini and then Voldemort, while tying up story archs with Draco, Snape and Ginny: and JKR wants to keep this shorter than OotP!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 4:38 pm
First Year

The first problem I see is how Harry can inherit from Sirius if his brother was still living. I asume that magic is not easily tricked. The second problem is why not take JKR's word for it Regulas is dead. There is only one book left and she has to wrap up the story and not have half a dozen chapters as to why RAB survived.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 4:40 pm
First Year

Its certainly plausible - if Regulus is not an animagus then he may be a metamorphagus - it certainly exists in the family as exhibited by Tonks.

As for the comment somewhere above that Tonks and other cousins would have known about it growing up - well maybe not. The Blacks lived hidden away in their house, The Tonks' were banished and Sirius ran away. Also no-one has mentioned ENOUGH about Regulas for us not to know that interesting fact about him.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 6:36 pm
First Year

Maybe but I'm still not completely convinced. Regulus probably did have some sort of great power seeing that all the Blacks seem quite powerful but I'm not sure that would be metamorphis.

"This much I had in mind to say, and admonish the prudent, that they spend not their money to no purpose, but that they should know what they are to look for, and so they may attain to the truth and no other way." ~ Pontanus 1659 (epistle on the mineral fire and great elixer/the Philosophers Stone)
ASA, the spoilers stoppers.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 7:17 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Posted by Altap
Here are the problems I see with this theory:
(1) If Rugulus were alive, would Number 12 Grimmauld Place not pass on to him? We are told that the next male Black automatically gets the house, so Harry could only get it if Rugulus is indeed dead..
I never even thought of that, your totally right, and this seems to be the irefuatble bit of evedence that messes the theory up.

Quote:
From the Editoral
And he couldn't have been planning to be killed for desertion, because if he had really tried to desert then obviously Voldemort would have gone to check on the Horcrux, which apparently he never did.
Now I will admit that its crazy to think Voldy wouldn't go check on the locket horcrux if Regulus was killed for disertion, but do we really know Voldie dosn't know that the horcrux has been found. I mean, maybe he did go check it and find the fake. Maybe he just left the fake. Maybe he didn't try to open it and didn't find the note. The origianl locket wont open. Plus, if you wanted to keep the trap going, why not keep a locket in there.

Thats a far fetched theory, but, I think we are selling voldie short to think he has no idea about the fate of the locket horcrux. Plus, if Regulus was important enough to be trusted with the horcrux, and then was killed for disertion as Sirus implys, I'm sure Voldie would make sure the job was done.

"Blocked again and again and again till you learn to keep your mouth shut and your mind closed, Potter..."

Doesn't that sound a lot like teaching to you?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 8:40 pm
First Year

could anyone please guess or write an editorial as to who the 6 animagi in this century are other than McGonagall?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:48 pm
First Year

interesting editorial. i thought it was plausible until people pointed out that Regulus is deffinatly dead. what with the whole inheritance of 12 Grimmauld Place, he has to be. although something had to make it where it went to Harry and not Bellatrix or Narcissa. although Sirius was a very talented wizard. evenso, interesting editorial, even if it isn't very plausible

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Add this to your signature to join!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagoballwime
could anyone please guess or write an editorial as to who the 6 animagi in this century are other than McGonagall?
Well, I am definately thinking that Dumbledore was one. I don't know why but I feel that way. If not, he is surely capable of becomming an animagi easily. I still don't know about Hedwig, just waiting to see who she turns out to be. I definately think that she could be an animagi. Sorry if people disagree with me. lol

Also I think that one of the Weasley's is one, don't laugh but I'm thinking Molly (who for such a short plump woman reminds Harry of a Cat). Though both her and Ginny reminds Harry of cats when they are angry.

Other than that, I don't know. Well funny enough I think that maybe Umbridge quite possible CAN turn into a toad! lol

Old May 22nd, 2006, 9:55 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimsey
There are two huge problems with this idea. First, JKR has stated that Regulus is dead. That falsifies the idea that he can come back unless we assume that JKR is lying.

Two is more probabilistic, but renders the idea hopelessly unlikely. Voldemort acquired the Locket years before Regulus was born (with the Locket acquired in the late 1940's and Regulus born in the early 1960's). The Locket was almost certainly hidden long before Regulus was born, nevermind long before Regulus was old enough to be of service.

Regulus' role will be very different. Somehow, he learned an awful lot about Voldemort. Harry needs that knowledge because Dumbledore's notes/memories/etc. simply are not enough to find the two remaining hidden Horcruxes. (If they were, then Dumbledore would have done so.) How Regulus acquired these, why he betrayed Voldemort, etc., are backstory that we'll get in a small dose: remember, RAB must be only a small part of VII: Harry has two more Horcruxes to find, then Nagini and then Voldemort, while tying up story archs with Draco, Snape and Ginny: and JKR wants to keep this shorter than OotP!
Wimsey, you make a very compelling arguement. I agree with all your points.

"There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve foot mountain troll is one of them."

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:08 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfreak731
This is a little off from this editorial, but maybe Regulus died because he had to drink that potion the horcrux was in, like Dumbledore did. He could have written the note, and someone could have been there with him to replace the real horcrux with the fake one (with the note inside).
Lol Thats exactly what I was going to say, this explains why RAB thinks he will be dead when Voldemort finds out.

Good theory but a bit too far-fetched for me.

Well done anyway.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:30 pm
First Year

i doubt regulus is alive because he would have gotten grimmauld place and also i thnk sirius would have mentioned that regulus was a metamorphmagus

Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:51 pm
First Year

Voldemort might have entrusted Regulus with placing the locket in the basin, perhaps asking him also to bring him back a jar full of the water/liquid/potion of the lake, thus ensuring that Regulus would never make it out alive as he would fall victim to the Inferi. That would certainly account for Regulus being the 'third' faithful Deatheater who died in his service. Perhaps Regulus guessed what Voldemort was up to and replaced the locket with a fake one. Regulus would probably be allowed to drop the locket in the potion because the barrier was there only to prevent people taking things out of it not dropping things in it or perhaps it was also his job to fill the basin with the potion (brewed by Snape?) after placing the locket in it. Not having drunk any of the potion and not falling prey to Voldemort's plan, he would have been able to get out of there without being attacked by the Inferi. He would have known that that it was only a matter of time before Voldemort found out that he was still alive and ofcourse would have him killed incase he had found out about the Horcrux. I do not believe that RAB is still alive because like someone pointed out, Harry would not have been able to inherit the house from Sirius.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial