Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Parseltongue: More Common than we Thought?

Old July 30th, 2006, 1:10 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

Parseltongue: More Common than we Thought?

Discussion for Parseltongue: More Common than we Thought? by Sarah Merritt.

Sponsored Links
Old July 30th, 2006, 2:29 pm
First Year

Re: Parseltongue: More Common than we Thought?

The question we should be asking ourselves is, "What other powers did Voldemort pass on to Harry, besides being a parselmouth?" Although it very possible that there might be others who are parcelmouths (it's not something you would boast about!), I don't think that there is any shred of evidence anywhere that Lily was one. I fully agree with you, however, that this ability will come in handy when Harry has to go after the last Horcrux (Nagini) who is never very far from Voldemort himself. When Dumbledore was considering those funny whirring instruments in his office and debating about "being seperate in essence" I'm sure that he was trying to make out if Voldemort was possessing Nagini or bidding it to do its will. I think that it was at that point that Dumbledore realised that Nagini was a Horcrux. Those instruments probably showed Dumbedore two bits of soul inside Nagini - the Horcrux and the bit that is inside Voldemort who was inside Nagini at the time. At the time of reading that bit in book 5, i.e. before we knew anything of the Horcruxes, I felt that it was never really explained what he meant so I could only assume that we would get the explanation in a later book. I wonder who will inherit all those little marvels in Dumbledore's office and if there is anybody who really understands them and can use them in the way Dumbledore could. I would have wished that Dumbeldore passed some of that knowledge to Harry at least but it never materialised. What a waste of scholarship! I wonder just how much knowledge Dumbledore possessed which has been buried with him - again what a waste! This is why I can never bring myself to believe that Dumbledore ever planned his own death. He would never have left so many loose threads - he would have given Harry so much more knowledge and tools to vanquish Voldemort. Dumbledore knew all along that knowledge would be Harry's main tool against Voldemort. However intuitive and resourseful Harry has shown himself to be, Dumbledore knew only too well that Harry was no match for Voldemort. Not even he himself was still capable of battling Voldemort and winning. So I'm very much hoping that Voldemort has passed Harry some other ability that not even Harry himself knows about yet!

Last edited by belsito; July 30th, 2006 at 2:33 pm.
Old July 30th, 2006, 4:35 pm
First Year

Voldemort marked Harry as "equal". I think Harry and Voldemort are equally powerful, but Harry chooses not to use Dark Magic. Also Harry has some qualities of Tom Riddle- Determination, Resourcefulness and less regard for School Rules.

Very intersting theory because all pure-bloods are interrelated. So Harry inheriting Parseltogue is possible, but how important is it? Is the question.

Old July 30th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriharish
Voldemort marked Harry as "equal". I think Harry and Voldemort are equally powerful, but Harry chooses not to use Dark Magic. Also Harry has some qualities of Tom Riddle- Determination, Resourcefulness and less regard for School Rules.
Agreed!! i think Voldy gave Harry the ability to talk to snakes, rather than Harry inheriting it.

"No, well, you wouldn't," said Fred, "they're not in a place we generally display to the public --"
"-- but they make sitting on a broom a right pain in the --"

FBA***T....Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
.................mmmmmmmmm
Old July 30th, 2006, 5:10 pm
First Year

concerning dumbledore possibly being a pasrelmouth.
i don't think he inherited it,but i do think that one of th twelve uses of dragons blood, could be to speak and understand any language you need to

i was under the impression (from what we saw of the gaunts) that the slytherin family stopped going to school at all. certainlyy there can be no doubt they would not step foot in hogwarts after salazar left.

Old July 30th, 2006, 5:13 pm
First Year

About the pureblood commet. I am one of the people suspecting James potter was a dsendet of Grifindor. If he is do you really think someone of Slythrin descent would marry into that family? You also must rember that, that commet was made some time after James. It could be that the commet is ture now but not then. Now Salazar (sp?) left the school because muggle borns were being let in. I dought any of his decendets up till Tom's mum would marry that many muggles or muggle borns if they were anywere as half as filled with "Slythrin pride" as Marvolo. Besides If a pureblood wizard married a muggle or muggleborn, thier kids would be magical along with their grand kids. If any were squibs they would still know about magic. Lily's family knew nothing of the sort (hence Petiua's reaction) so I think it's safe to say they were not desend from slythrin. *cough Griffindor would be more likly* Now I dought dumbles was a pasrlmouth. In the scean in the pensive with Marvolo and his kids you can read the body langauge. So dumbledore could figure out an idea of what they were saying. Also yes we know dumbledore can be wrong. But it makes the most seace(sp?) about voldy transfering some of his powers to harry. I really do trust his jugdement, and his therios (again sp?) and with some exceptions he is usally right. But if Jk would have a heack of a time to explain something she usally has dumbledore tell him (or not tell him) .
Ohh and will parseltongue play a part in book seven? HECK YES!

May house my be but I will always be a marauder at heart

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Quoted by the one the only Sirius Black who: Was The first Person EVER To Escape From Azkaban, Evaded Dementors, Became An Animagi At 15, Outwitted The Ministry For Years And, Was Finally Killed By A Curtain...

Who wants to live in a sane world anyway?

ACCIO HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 30th, 2006, 5:19 pm
First Year

I was also under the impression that the Slytherin/Gaunt family did not go to school, but were "home schooled", in a manner of speaking

The evidence offered here is good, but I just can't see Lily or James being associated with something that's been considered a Dark Art throughout history.

Sirius said James always hated the Dark Arts. I guess you could argue that part of his hatred was spawned from being unwillingly connected with them, but that seems a stretch.

As for Lily, she's practically portrayed with a halo (sp?) around her head throughout the series, so it just doesn't seem to fit.

"Ah music, a magic beyond all we do here..."
"Really, Hagrid, if you are holding out for universal popularity, I'm afraid you will be in this cabin for a very long time."
Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders! Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders! Add this to your signature to join! A proud member of Dear Dumby as Penelope ClearwaterProud Member of PA
Old July 30th, 2006, 5:28 pm
First Year

slughorn seemed tothink lily would have been a good slytherin. he said she gave him cheeky answers.

Old July 30th, 2006, 5:31 pm
First Year

Slughorn likes her because she may be succesful ( I gess being the mother of the world savior is pretty succeful). To him If you would be succesful you should be a slythrin.

May house my be but I will always be a marauder at heart

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Quoted by the one the only Sirius Black who: Was The first Person EVER To Escape From Azkaban, Evaded Dementors, Became An Animagi At 15, Outwitted The Ministry For Years And, Was Finally Killed By A Curtain...

Who wants to live in a sane world anyway?

ACCIO HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 30th, 2006, 5:35 pm
Second Year

Anyway how do we know Voldemort passsed Parselmouth on to harrry? Maybe Dumbledore was wrong and harry had the ability since he was a baby?

"You said to us once before," said Hermione quietly, "that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"

"Dumbledore's man through and through," said Harry. "That's right."
Old July 30th, 2006, 6:26 pm
First Year

Hate to shoot down theories straight off, but this from JKR's website ("Rumors"): [On whether Voldemort is Harry's father/grandfather/relative of close description] "And hasn't Dumbledore already told Harry that Voldemort is the last surviving descendent of Salazar Slytherin? Just to clarify: this means Harry is NOT a descendent of Salazar Slytherin."
Which means that nobody from Slytherin's family could have married into Harry's (if we're talking about direct blood connections, which is the only way to inherit something). And for those who say even Dumbledore makes mistakes: I don't think JKR would categorically state something like that outside of the books, only to pull the rug out from under us in book 7.
Well written editorial in any case.

Old July 30th, 2006, 6:54 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I was going to post JKR's comment as well. I don't see any reason to doubt Dumbledore's explanation of Harry's Parseltongue ability.

About Dumbledore: In the story of Sigurd, tasting dragon's blood lets you understand the language of birds. Dumbledore is known for having worked out the 12 (I think) uses of dragon's blood. If he can understand Parseltongue, I think the blood probably gave him the ability to understand snakes.

I don't think Lily's being able to speak Parseltongue would make him let her live (and why would he bring a snake to the Potter house?). She'd defied him three times--and I don't think Voldemort much likes other people having his special gifts.

Old July 30th, 2006, 8:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_her_one
I was also under the impression that the Slytherin/Gaunt family did not go to school, but were "home schooled", in a manner of speaking
That is what I thought as well. Given the description we were given of them in Book 6, it seems as if they did not attend any school. Maybe that is why the line of one of the Greatest Wizards of that time (Slytherin) became what the Gaunts were.

However, the part about Voldemort bringing a snake, and giving Lily the chance to live because she could talk to it seems to be some really far reaching speculation.

Last edited by 1hp2; July 30th, 2006 at 8:12 pm.
Old July 30th, 2006, 9:56 pm
First Year

if you ask me, this theory seems really far fetched. jo seems to speak through dumbledore, quite often. i think that if dumbledore says harry got the ability through voldermort, it's good enough for me. however, i do think that the ability has a part to play in the seventh book. this will probably have something to do with dumbledore's theory that nagini is a horcrux, once again, i believe dumbledore. although he has been known to make mistakes, it is usually in his judgement, not in his theories.

Old July 31st, 2006, 3:14 am
bribe

An interesting and well presented editorial and certainly a topic I have not previously considered. However, if Harry did inherit Parseltongue from a parent it would have been James. If Lily had been a parseltongue then Petunia and Dudley would likely also have been yet JKR has said that Petunia is a muggle. The only out here would seem to be the "revelation" about Petunia JKR said would occur in book seven.

Although I don't agree with the theory presented here it is worth considering since it is a possibility for book seven.

Old July 31st, 2006, 3:27 am
First Year

I just wanna say I'm darn impressed you used the word "obfuscate."

Old July 31st, 2006, 5:18 am
First Year

I had this theory of petunia and Lily parents where squibs. born to wizards and that is why they where proud of having a witch in the family. the family may have gone to visit their grandparents. If Petunia was born to squibs than she would be a muggle. Has JK ever said anything to this theory.

Old July 31st, 2006, 6:06 am
First Year

Somebody told Harry that DD speaks many languages (Remmember the merpeople?),And I think you are right about he being parseltong.

Old July 31st, 2006, 6:35 am
First Year

This is an interesting editorial. Although I do not think it is probable, you certainly show it to be possible. I don't completely agree with it, but it is an interesting theory, nonetheless.

Old July 31st, 2006, 7:18 am
First Year

I don't agree with some of this editorial, like the part about Voldemort letting Lily live because she was a Parselmouth.

One thing of interest, though, is that if the gene was hereditary in Harry, it could possibly have come from Lily. Why do I say this? Well, she is a "mutation", if you will, of the Muggle gene, thus making her a witch. If her genetics have mutated far enough to make her a witch, why not a Parselmouth? All hereditary traits have to start somewhere, as is the way of evolution. It takes only one person with a particular gene to spread it down the line.

I am also of the opinion that Parseltongue can be learned. I don't necessarily have canon for this, but think about it: what normal person would sit down and take time to learn from a snake? However, if someone were to sit down with a Parselmouth and be taught by them, I'm sure it's possible to learn it. It just comes naturally to some people, is all, maybe. So Dumbledore could, theoretically, speak Parseltongue through his own design.

The topic of the editorial was a definitely stimulating one. As I say, it could possibly be hereditary (why must only Slytherin's blood be Parselmouths? Wasn't a Greek the most famous owner of a Basilisk?), but the question is if that would have any bearing at all on the fact that Harry is a Parselmouth himself. The fact in and of itself is probably the most important part.

Good work, though!