Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

A Word to the Anti-Harry Christians

Old August 15th, 2006, 12:36 am
MuggleNet Editorial

A Word to the Anti-Harry Christians

Discussion for A Word to the Anti-Harry Christians by Sarah.

You know who?
Avada Kedavra!
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2006, 12:54 am
First Year

Re: A Word to the Anti-Harry Christians

Very nice editorial. Short, sweet, and to the point. If I may, I might try to throw some of those points at people in my own life who believe Potter is the Anti-Christ.

Although, I am blessed with a very open-minded church. ^^ Great job!

*too Potter for the movies*
Old August 15th, 2006, 1:34 am
First Year

Very nice job! I never thought of it that way and I also might try to use some of that on my friends...

Thanks!

Old August 15th, 2006, 1:46 am
First Year

It is not God who created the Potter characters but J.K. It is she who invested them with magical abbilities. I do agree with you that the books do not deal with Christianity, that they do not offend Christian sensibilities, but I find your reasoning completely flawed. Nice try, anyway.

Old August 15th, 2006, 1:46 am
Second Year

I too must commend you for this editorial. Your thesis is well-reasoned and your argument to the point, which makes an excellent retort for the next round of Potter bashing. I'd like your opinion read the next time some person with extreme and biased views decides that bashing Potter is a good way to get on TV.

HP Personality Type: ENTJ - Minerva McGonagall
Yeah, it fits. Just ask MY former students.
http://piratemonkeysinc.com/quiz.htm
Godric's Hollow and Godric Gryffindor: If it looks like a Chekovian Gun, and smells like a Chekovian Gun....
Old August 15th, 2006, 2:02 am
First Year

I just did a speech about this recently but I had not thought of this particular point. Close but not exactly. I have trouble finding an argument to argue against though. Anyways, great editorial and it was short so it didn't detract my attention form homework for too long

Harry Potter- Dare to dream
Allie
Old August 15th, 2006, 2:04 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
It is not God who created the Potter characters but J.K. It is she who invested them with magical abbilities. I do agree with you that the books do not deal with Christianity, that they do not offend Christian sensibilities, but I find your reasoning completely flawed. Nice try, anyway.
I agree. JRR Tolkein called his work sub-creation that is, the work of a created being (man). He saw himself as a creator of a world, much like God, because he (man) is made in the image and likeness of God and so have the desire and ability to create in our own way.

I don't know about calling biblical miracles "magic". Yes, Moses parted the Red Sea et al. but it was not his own power nor was he channeling God's power for his own benefit. He spoke and acted for God.

I have always thought it pretty obvious in the HP series that witches and wizards are different from muggles (as in race). Just as in Tolkien's world Elves had certain gifts that the other races didn't bother to imitate. They appreciated them but they didn't try to talk to trees etc like the Elves did. Nor did any of them try to do what Gandalf did.

I think the parallel Muggle/Wizard worlds are wonderfully creative! It helps to remind us that there are things seen and unseen around us.

Old August 15th, 2006, 3:12 am
First Year

Nice job with te article. But i really think that harry potter was not created under any theological point. the people who judge hp by its religious erm... point of view (which is not the case ofcourse) dont know what they are talking about. I think the church and the religions has a very powerful hand upon social things, that they dont really need to give an opinion.
Well thats what i think, and overall you did a very nice job whit that article.

PD: isnt it obvious that im not christian?

Old August 15th, 2006, 5:06 am
First Year

You have a very interesting theory and in my opinion a very plausible one. I've often tried to explain the ability to do magic in Harry Potter to friends who are not fans as a special, God-given talent much like intellectual giftedness or one of Howard Gardner's Multiple Intelligences. To his eight talents, we could simply add a ninth--magic.

Old August 15th, 2006, 5:16 am
First Year

I liked this article for what it was. I have a bit of a problem with over-simplifying things down to "bad" and "good," but I'll get over it.

I didn't know Jo was a Christian, but I'm happy to hear it to be so. I'm a spiritual being, and my personal opinion is that anything that touches so many people in so many different ways could only have done so at the will of the Divine Creator. For me, God is all over Harry Potter, literally. I can't remember the exact verse in the Bible, I believe it's somewhere in Mathew, (but I could be wrong) and it's supposed to be the shortest verse in the entire book. It reads, very simply "God is Love." And, well, what saved Harry as a Baby? His mother's love. What did Dumbledore say helped Harry when Voldemort took possession of him in the Ministry of Magic? That it was his heart (ie his ability to love) that saved him. The greatest power in the books is love- of all different kinds. For me, that is the clearest connection between these 'children's stories' and God.

Last edited by Cady; August 15th, 2006 at 5:22 am.
Old August 15th, 2006, 5:32 am
First Year

Eh.. sorry to disagree with everyone, but I saw nothing particularly academic or enlightening in this article, despite its pompous-sounding opening paragraph. As is mentioned above, Jo created Harry's world--not God--which leaves the author with no argument. That's not to say that I believe Harry's world goes against my religious beliefs (it doesn't). I just wish the author had delved into the real issues and complaints that some in the religious world are bringing up regarding Harry Potter. Is that all they're teaching up at Manchester?

Signed, a Student of Anthropology at a Decidedly Lesser University

Old August 15th, 2006, 5:38 am
First Year

I am from a lesser/similar university and I now realize some of the readers are not catching on to the author was saying. It is kind of hard to explain but I think I know what the author was talking about. So, dont feel bad- you still have one person out there for you!

signed, another student from a good university that has religion as a major

Old August 15th, 2006, 5:43 am
Second Year

I really don't understand what there is to bash about this editorial. Sure, the characters were created by Jo, but how many Harry Potter haters care about that? This person explains the concept of magic in a way that most people could understand. If you believe in Christianity, then you believe that God created everything in the world and that humans were created in his image. Therefore, if magic were to exist, it would be something that God made in us. That is a very reasonable argument. It's simple and effective.

Old August 15th, 2006, 7:33 am
First Year

Good editorial, but if the Potter-haters aren't going to acknowledge the difference between fantasy and fiction, no amount of excellent writing like this will persuade them.

Even the author says that the spells are bogus, but people don't seem to realize that.

I go to a Christian-oriented school/study group. The teacher is absent for long periods of time, and we are allowed to do whatever as long as we get our work done on time. One day, I was bored, so, knowing it would cause some sort of reaction, I asked what my fellow students thought of the Potter books. There was such a long argument/discussion that nobody got their work done. At least I got them thinking about it.

Next time, I'll add that argument to the mix.

(O.o)
(> <)Does Bunnymort have any harecruxes?
Harry Potter and the as-yet-unannounced Book Title
Old August 15th, 2006, 8:47 am
First Year

Good job. People at my church believe that Harry Potter is the work of the devil because he uses magic. They do not realize that he is not using real magic (I should know all about that, I used to practice witchcraft) and it bugs me when people say that. Thank you for this editorial.

Old August 15th, 2006, 10:17 am
First Year

I read the HP books because I am a Christian and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. The "witches and wizards" in the books are of course practicing a very different kind of magic to what the Bible condemns (which is really more spiritualism that manifests in "miracles" but does not acknowledge the Lordship of God). I see many very strong themes in HP that support what the Bible teaches and I'm glad someone may have found a way to make these morals more appealing to kids.

You know, "to the pure, all things are pure". I'm addicted to the books now and very sad about J.K coming under such condemnation from people, whom I feel, just do not know any better. I hope it doesn't make her too jaded.

Old August 15th, 2006, 10:44 am
First Year

Duchess, Mollison and others: I think you guys misunderstood one important point: When the author of the article said that the characters of HP were created by God, she meant it within JKR's fictional world, not outside of it. There is a big difference between these two points of view.

From the "outside" point of view, you can reason with Jo being a Christian and therefore she wouldn't write something that is point blank against Christianity. Look at all the folk fairy tales in which magic appears - you don't condemn them as the work of the devil!

And when you look at it from the "inside" point of view (i.e. you ignore the fact that it's all just fiction, JKR doesn't exist here), you can still "defend" this world - as was said in the article, in this world there are some people who are born with a natural ability to use magic, just like in our world there are people who are extraordinary artists or mathematicians. It's a talent, or in other words - gift from God. And like every other gift of God it can be used either for good or for evil.

One of the main messages of the HP books is fight between good and evil (the classic motive of all fairy tales - and that's what HP in its heart is, a fairy tale), and that love can defeat evil (and in Christianity, love is the most valued virtue). It's sad that many Christians concentrate on the outer form (=presence of magic) and lack of explicit presence of Christianity in the books, while completely ignoring the fact that the books show things like bravery, courage, love and friendship as good, as things that will triumph in the end.

I once read an excellent article by one italian theologist (I don't remember the name now) in which he analysed Harry Potter and showed that these books are by no means "devilish" as many (ignorant) Christians make them.

And by the way, let's not forget that Sirius is Harry's godfather. This could very well mean that Harry is in fact baptised.

Old August 15th, 2006, 11:58 am
First Year

i agree with others above, jo created hp, not god.
but i think it's important to 'enlighten' hp-haters as they're obviously very sad people and need some explanations and retorts to their weak arguments...

Tauriel, i now see what the author was trying to say, that within the world of hogwarts etc, harry, ron etc were created by god. not sure if i agree that was the case but anyway.
however, im sure that many would say that the hp books themselves were created by god, to which i say again that jo created the books, not god.
that's just what i believe tho, jo herself may in fact see differently...

Old August 15th, 2006, 1:49 pm
Zonko's Employee

Very nicely written. Great editorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
It is not God who created the Potter characters but J.K. It is she who invested them with magical abbilities.
One could also make the argument that God created them through J K Rowling....

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!

Last edited by Tiberius; August 15th, 2006 at 1:53 pm.
Old August 15th, 2006, 2:26 pm
First Year

Just recently I told my pastor that we got late to church because the kids in the family (mmmmm.....) wanted to see Harry and the Potters in concert,and he had a good laugh about it,bless his heart...

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial