Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Teachers Hatin'

Old August 30th, 2006, 4:18 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Teachers Hatin'

Discussion for Teachers Hatin' by Maxie Kalish.

You know who?
Avada Kedavra!
Sponsored Links
Old August 30th, 2006, 5:09 am
First Year

Re: Teachers Hatin'

That must be horrible to have your teacher say Harry Potter is for little kids to the class. Everyone knows I am a HP nut and I enjoy being called it. I also find it hard to concentrait (I know I spelled it wrong) when I am supossed to be reading a long and boring "classical" book, when my copy of the Order of the pheonix looks so inviting. Don't get me wrong I love to read, and I enjoy reading big thick books. It's just the book has to be appeling (I suck at spelling) to you for you to enjoy and be able to read it. And I dought anybody here is going to say they don't enjoy readin Harry Potter.

May house my be but I will always be a marauder at heart

"If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals."

Quoted by the one the only Sirius Black who: Was The first Person EVER To Escape From Azkaban, Evaded Dementors, Became An Animagi At 15, Outwitted The Ministry For Years And, Was Finally Killed By A Curtain...

Who wants to live in a sane world anyway?

ACCIO HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 30th, 2006, 5:47 am
First Year

It sounds horrible to have a teacher like that. I actually have to thank my 8 grade english teacher for introducing me to Harry Potter and all the magic that came with it. So, it's not always bad comments coming from teachers...

Old August 30th, 2006, 5:50 am
First Year

Too bad HP wasn't around yet when I was in middle school - I would have loved to suggest to my uptight 8th grade English teacher that we read HP! Anyhow, I feel your pain about the English Rengents, having had to take a full Regents courseload myself - I wish we could have read HP instead of John Steinbeck in High School! *a bat-bogie hex on John Steinbeck for writing "Red Pony"*

Old August 30th, 2006, 6:58 am
First Year

i agree completely. I am annoyed because I personally hate a catcher in the rye which I just read and I cant stand how teachers find that the book must be at least ____ many years old and be way outdated for them to consider it worthy of reading. Modernize your selves a bit and mabey people would be interested.

Old August 30th, 2006, 8:18 am
First Year

Well, there are a lot of Snapes out there who love to torment their students and inflict as much psychological pain as possible - I'm sure Snape is an exagerated version of quite a few teachers. And then they complain that people now-a-days don't read! If literature is chosen by a few purists who are so mouldy that anything mildly interesting would give them a cardiac arrest then no wonder people never get beyond having fairy tales read out to them by their parents. It would be the last interesting thing that came out of a book for them! Well Jo has got young people reading again whilst these stuffed shirts are killing this wonderful past-time at the starting blocks. Shame on them!

Having said all that, I must also state that at the school where I work, almost all the teachers are hooked on HP (including the English teacher) and although most of the teachers ordered the last installment on the internet for fear of meeting their students lining up at 1 a.m. (I live on a very small island, where there were only around three bookshops that opened up at 12.00 GMT), most had read it in a couple of days and the book was thoroughly discussed in the staff room for days on end! The Chemistry teacher even talked of renaming his subject as "Potions for Muggles" to try and get more enthusiasm from the students. So there is still some hope!

We just have to try to get more grown-ups into HP. I myself resisted getting the first book for my son because at 10 I thought he should be reading more 'mature' stuff than a book about witches and wizards. I finally gave in (my son can be very persuasive, when his heart is set on something) and decided to give it a read myself to see what all the hype was about. Needless to say, I just couldn't put the book down. The following day I went back to the shop and bought books 2,3 and 4 - quite an over-dose but it was a wonderful time - as if I had travelled through space to another world (without the travel sickness I would have felt on a real trip).

Last edited by belsito; August 30th, 2006 at 8:40 am.
Old August 30th, 2006, 8:36 am
First Year

I remember when I suggested I'd like to write my main essay of my advanced highers on a children's book - my teacher replied "oh no, not Harry Potter!" I hadn't been planning on covering Harry Potter, but I guess it was an easy jump to make. But was a little surprised at his vehemence. I decided in the end not to cover a childrens book, because I'd have to keep referring to the fact that it was a childrens book! I was told specifically to write about a childrens book the only topic I could cover was how it related to children! Gah.

I think another of the main prejudices teachers hold against Harry Potter is that it is a fantasy series - how many of you managed to study Lord of the Rings or The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe in school?? I get the impression that there's a vogue in teaching which dictates that the subject of the reading material should be life enriching, should cover real life issues in as undisguised manner as possible.

Old August 30th, 2006, 9:10 am
First Year

Well we cant expect everyone to see the brilliance of Harry Potter! But dont fret, there are tons of classes in colleges and universities that study Harry Potter. Unfortunately some people are, to borrow from the creative mastermind jkr, determined to hate Harry Potter. It's there loss.

By the way, I have to disagree with you samlindude, I LOVE "The Catcher In The Rye", it's one of my favorite books ever!

I TRUST HARRY POTTER
Old August 30th, 2006, 9:18 am
Third Year

Great editorial, it's just a shame some people are so narrow minded.
My A level English teacher was pretty similar to that, he locked us in the classroom and made us read 'Hard Times' by Dickens. I wish I'd thought back then to suggest reading Harry Potter, I can just picture the look o his face!!!

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old August 30th, 2006, 10:04 am
First Year

Good point you're making in your editorial!

I have a niece who's 13 and not half as good a reader as her 9 years old sister. But now she's started reading Harry Potter because she loves the movies and doesn't want to wait for her parents to find the time to read the books to her. So even if it'll take her ages to finish each book she's doing it. She's reading.

As for myself, I've become way better at English - after finishing high school - by starting to read English fantasy books that hadn't been translated into Danish, and now I'm reading the Harry Potter books in English. If we'd read Harry Potter in English in my English classes at school I'm sure the students would have been more entusiastic about learning. We read one of my favourite fantasy novels, Momo, by the German Michael Ende, in my German classes which immidately got me more interested in learning German.

- But I wonder, Jack, can you live with this? Condemning an innocent man, a friend, to a lifetime of servitude in your stead while you roam free?
- Yeah, I'm good with it.

- Why would I want to sail with any of you? The four of you have tried to kill me in the past; one of you succeeded.

Jack Sparrow
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:49 am
First Year

Good piece! I would like to say that I don't consider Harry Potter children's literature. It's for people of all ages. There's something for everybody including all the requirements for an English final exam which is what the Regent's exam is. I should know as I took my regent's exam in 1969.

Old August 30th, 2006, 1:16 pm
First Year

I too was resistant to reading Potter, figuring nothing could be that good and it was just hype. A friend at work who is in her 70s and bought the books for her great nephew turned me on and I'm crazy about them now. My husband made wands for all us old Potterheads at work. Adults, especially teachers who make point of disliking the Potter books either haven't read them or don't have the wit to understand them. To put it in perspective, my favorite author in grade school was Robert Louis Stevenson and I read all the Dickens' I could get my hands on in high school. And it was a teacher who turned me onto The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Maybe more kids speaking up will convince these teachers to read and decide for themselves but then again there are plenty of D. Umbridges out there. I mean even her name speaks volumes, JKR is brilliant. Maybe the naysayers are just jealous.

Old August 30th, 2006, 1:55 pm
First Year

I teach 3rd grade in a Catholic school and I read my class books 1,2 and sometimes 3. Last year they begged for GOF but there just was not enough time. My students all know the movies, but many struggle with the books. My favorite comment last year as we read PS/SS, was "I didn't know Harry Potter was funny!" THe curse of only seeing the movies and thinking you know the story. By the way, about half our teachers are Harry Potter fans and we also have endless discussions about the books.

Last edited by pjskrz; August 30th, 2006 at 8:48 pm.
Old August 30th, 2006, 2:02 pm
First Year

Lizardbreath, weird question, but is your name Elizabeth? My name is Elizabeth, and my Dad used to call me "Lizard's Breath"....
Okay... anyway!
I share your pain, eeryone, I've had so many people say that HP is just hype, and that they refuse to read it because of it... It is SO frustrating! - if you get excited about it and say how good it is, it just sounds like hype, anyway!!
Grr! Their loss, I guess!

Old August 30th, 2006, 2:17 pm
Third Year

Amen!!! I am sure that as the years pass, the HP books will attain more and more of a classic status. They have all the elements, as you so beautifully stated, and are much more enjoyable to read than most of the other literature students are forced to read in high school or college for that matter.

This was a very nice editorial. Thank you for contributing.

Old August 30th, 2006, 2:19 pm
First Year

One of my teachers at school likes Potter. Unfortunately, she's the math teacher. :-) It would be so cool if we could read Potter in English, but I doubt it will ever happen, because I go to a Christian school in conservative West Michigan.
But really, Maxie, I don't think you would ever read Potter in American Lit. because it's British. :-) But we know that doesn't make it bad!

Old August 30th, 2006, 2:22 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think HP is children's literature either--the first two books probably qualify, but the series has gotten a good bit darker (and dealt more with ambiguity) since then. I know a lot of teachers who quite like it. We deal with it in one of my mythology classes.

I have to say I really liked Prince of Tides. Not the movie.

Old August 30th, 2006, 3:16 pm
First Year

Well done and brilliantly said!!!!

I, like many before me, am a 36 year old mother of 3, and a college student studying to be a teacher (English and history.) I am more into Harry Potter than my 13 year old daughter, and we have many discussions about it. I visit Mugglenet every day!!

I also believe that JKR is a brilliant author, and that many of the "classics" could never touch her writing. As a modern author, Jo connects with children in a way that many of the classic authors cannot. I am in the mind that when I have my own classroom full of fourth-ninth graders, that I will be able to use a Harry Potter novel to start teaching how to analyze literature. Children must care about the story they are reading. It's too much like work if they cannot connect with the book they are assigned. This is also a great way to connect with students, to have the same interests, and a very positive influence in today's world!

I would say that for younger children, HP is pure entertainment. High school students, as well as adults, can really appreciate all the endless subplots and can also find every literary element know to man in these novels!!! They are most definiatly for ages 10-100!!!! I can think of 100 different ways to use the books and movies as a teaching device.

Of course, I live in the United States, and we may be more laid back here than in the UK (As far as high school exams go.) However, I would hope that teachers in the UK would celebrate and revere Jo as one of their own, and be proud that she has turned out such an outstanding series.

To Maxie, has your English teacher actually read any of the books, especially Books 4, 5, and 6? If not, I would kindly suggest to her that she read them before passing judgement on these wonderful literary works! Please take comfort in the fact that you will not be in high school forever, and that there are plenty of grown-ups, worldwide I might add, that "feel the love!"

To quote Jo, "Rant over!"

Well done!

Accio Book 7!!
Weasley is our king!!!!

Old August 30th, 2006, 3:44 pm
First Year

On the first day of my first ever AP English class, my teacher got way off topic and eventually got around to HP. This was right after HBP came out. She gave away the ending to a couple of my friends, then went on to say that, although she liked Harry Potter, it was all about plot. Direct quote: "I did not like Prisoner of Azkaban because J.K. Rowling got off topic by introducing Hermione's house elf crusade..." to which I quickly replied "That was Goblet of Fire" and people stared at me. I agree that HP contains more literary elements (or at least more noticable ones) than many of the books i have read in that class. By the time I have children of my own (a looonnngg time from now) I fully expect Harry Potter to have become a classic. As it should be.

Old August 30th, 2006, 4:00 pm
Second Year

Look at it this way, you are going to read Potter on your own anyways, were you going to read The Scarlet Letter if it wasn't an assignment? There were a lot of books I read for school that I would have never picked up if it wasn't on the list, but they were good reads. HP is good stuff, but other literary works deserve reading as well. Go on and pout about your teacher, but know that this is just the beginning of meeting a lot of people who do not have the same opinions as you do, and you'll waste a lot of energy getting mad at all of them.

Harry Potter and Mendelian Genetics
Harry Potter and Mendelian Genetics: Counterpoint

Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth. (Mark Twain)

To be normal is the ideal aim of the unsuccessful. (Carl Gustav Jung)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial