Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

What Movie 5 Means For Book 7

Old November 25th, 2006, 6:47 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

What Movie 5 Means For Book 7

Discussion for What Movie 5 Means For Book 7 by Damon Klassen.

You know who?
Avada Kedavra!
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2006, 7:09 pm
First Year

Re: What Movie 5 Means For Book 7

Suprisingly, you have convinced me. I thought that it would never be allowed to have a book and film so close together. People might die of excitement and then Jo would get sued... just kidding.
But actually, WB would love to get their hands on as much money as possible. The only thing that concerns me is that 6 days is really too close. People may have not finished the book by then, and they might not want to go to the cinema in the company of fans in case they have the last book spoiled for them. Also, suppose something bad happens in the last book, like Harry dies, or something else dreadful happens. All us fans may be in shock and not want anything to do with HP. we will need time to recover before the film comes out. hmm. my ideas are not really very likely. but hey. i'm talking rubbish now.
good editorial anyway.

Old November 25th, 2006, 7:16 pm
First Year

wow... i never thought about that. I would really love to believe you are right. You made some very good points, and I can definitely see WB trying to capitalize off of the added hype surrounding the Potter franchise.

Old November 25th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Third Year

I've always hoped for a 07/07/07 release for the 7th book and also wondered wy WB's would realease movie five during the summer when PoA didn't do so well.
Your editorial was very well written, presented and reasearched. It makes me very hopeful for a 07/07/07 book 7 realease. Well done!

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old November 25th, 2006, 8:16 pm
Second Year

Wow, nice point! I really hope you're right, I'd love to have a whole Potterweek like that. It does seem really likely, though, put in that perspective. I never thought about it like that before. Wouldn't that be just awesome?

And embememu-- I don't think any real HP fan would be able to keep away from it, no matter what Jo did to Harry or our favorite character in Book 7 (which won't be possible for me, as my favorite character fell through the veil long ago ). This movie looks the best yet, and though I probably will be in mourning for a few weeks--maybe even months--later for the series and character(s) who didn't make it, I wouldn't be able to resist seeing the movie. After all, if this editorial's prediction comes true, the movies will be all we have left to look forward to in the Potter universe.

I'm going to be SO SAD when it's finally over, though!

The end is near.
July 21, 2007

Are YOU on the list?

My Book 7 Fanfic ~ Ron's brains ~ Clickie to see me! ~ PotterPuppetPals!!
92% of teens moved on to rap music. If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your sig.
Old November 25th, 2006, 8:57 pm
Second Year

Two things:

1. If you're right, then awesome.

2. If you're wrong, you probably have a future in business planning?

Old November 25th, 2006, 9:12 pm
First Year

I have to say, you have done your research. But there is something I would just like to say. If I were a businessman, I would release the movie before the book. The hype dies down quite a bit after the books' release (or at least it does here in Australia) but is very prominent before. Releasing the movie before the book would give the most profit, I feel.

Old November 25th, 2006, 9:42 pm
Second Year

I think the 7th book might be released on July 31, 2007--Harry and Jo's birthday. A week between the movie and the book seemed too close, but I don't really care as long as they release it on 2007, and not 2008.

Old November 25th, 2006, 9:52 pm
First Year

Releasing it on the 31st would be kind of cool, but Potter book releases have always been (at least as far as I know) on Saturdays, and the 31st won't fall on a Saturday in 2007. I'm hoping for 07/07/07, because that would just be too cool, I love the significance of it!

Old November 25th, 2006, 11:32 pm
First Year

I hope I can make some comments about the film business, both touching on either Harry Potter or the Potter films without getting stoned (killed by rocks, not drunk, or drugged)!

I've worked in the film business. I used to draw animated special effects with a pencil until computers made my specialty obsolete. People in the business do not know tons more about film than informed fans do. One thing they do know, though, is how money often affects the look of the film they see in the theatre relative to what it could have been. They ought to! They're the one's making the extra money!

My 17 year old nephew has not read any of the Potter books (Please, don't stone him either! He's really okay, and mentioning this has a point). He could not make any sense out of the movie of "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." I don't think he's stupid at all. I think he's right. There's just too much left out.I don't think you can make enough sense out of Movie #4 unless you've read the book first, which is just plain sloppy filmmaking.

I'm not slamming the makers of the film at any level, not at all. I'm coming to the defense of screenwriter Steve Kloves (did I spell his name right?). HPATGOF is already the most expensive film ever made without making the screenplay the proper length. The original draft probably was a standalone work of art. I gnash my teeth at how much of a narrative mess the "Goblet of Fire" when a tiny piece of the film itself gives enough evidence of how good Mr. Kloves is.

When Voldemort calls Lucius Malfoy his "slippery friend" in the film, he replies that the face he puts before the public: "That is my true mask. I love how he speaks of a false face being 'true!'

That's rant number one. The last concerns "Harry Potter" series film score composer John Williams. I wish that Peter Jackson had used Williams rather than James Newton Howard to score "King Kong."

Mr. Howard provided a very atmospheric score to Jackson's labor of love. But the first "King Kong" had the very first full symphonic film score. Max Steiner's score blew the heads off the audiences back in 1933, and the new "Kong" should have done the same. As good as it is, the new score doesn't do that. I believe that if John Williams had scored "King Kong," it might have been the highest grossing movie in history, with nothing else changed.

I'm not implying that James Newton Howard is a budget score choice or anything....this is a rant, only a loud opinion, and should be taken just as seriously. Which is really, not at all.

Old November 26th, 2006, 1:06 am
First Year

although i can see the sheer marketing genius of 07/07/07, i hope they dont release it then because its the two year anniversary of the london tube bombings, & i really don't think our national day of mourning for all the people that died should be overshadowed by a book. especially considering the nature of the book (hello war & the killing of innocent people) & the fact that london features in the series rather a lot. it just doesnt seem sensitive.

Old November 26th, 2006, 2:25 am
Second Year

You've made some really good points, and I would love for the book to be released in the summer of 2007. I agree that to release the book on the anniversary of the London Tube bombings might not fly though, and I think that has to be taken into consideration. Businessmen might not care about the sensitivity around the day, but I think JKR would. Anyway...you've really done your homework and I think you have made excellent points and you might be exactly right! I can't wait until we know for sure!

Old November 26th, 2006, 3:31 am
First Year

This was a lot of great research and a well constructed editoral. Kudos on that. The theory, unlike some we read, is pretty well backed up. If anything the placement of the movie does help a sooner rather than later release, and we'll take whatever we can get I do however, have a agree that the bombings would be a horrible thing to overshadow. I'm American, but with 9-11 I feel like I know how it feels. July 31 would be very cool... Not quite as cool as 7/7/07 but 7/31/07 has a flow to it too!

Good work keep it up!!!

Harry Potter- Dare to dream
Allie
Old November 26th, 2006, 4:08 am
First Year

I'm hoping for a 2007 release date for the final book but I'm not optimistic that it'll happen. There are so many loose ends for Jo to tie up. Jo said in the past that she'd have difficulty in letting go since the series has been a major part of her life for so many years. Before she let go of HBP she spent three months just rereading it to be sure it was exactly what she wanted, therefore I think it safe to assume she'll take the same care with the final book.

I think the real signal for the final release will be when she gives us the title. If I remember correctly, the books have been released about 6 months after she releases the title. If she gives us the title for Christmas, maybe we can expect the final book in 2007. If not, I think we're looking at 2008.

Old November 26th, 2006, 4:24 am
First Year

Nice editorial and hopeful, too. But, I agree with a couple of other posters that July 31st might be the magic number. It's JK's birthday, Harry's birthday, and doesn't conflict with the bombing anniversary. (But as it's on a Tuesday, I bet they would move it ahead to August 3.)

However, since several important things happen in the tube station, like Harry meeting his first wizard friend and first friend period, and Sirius being recognized, it might be appropriate to release the book on 7/7 and dedicate its release to those who lost their lives, as King's Cross Station is important to the books and also is where one of the bombs was planted. (The movies are not filmed there, I don't think.)

I also agree that the movie might do better if released before the book. The movies tend to feed off of a desire for another book, not the other way around. If people have already read the final book and know how things wrap up, it may not be as big of an incentive to go to the film. But, if we are anxiously waiting for the book and just can't stand it, what better way to get a Potter "fix" than go see the movie and discuss it at length until book seven appears?

Old November 26th, 2006, 5:25 am
First Year

Nice editorial, Damon. Thanks.

If 07/07/07 is too soon, I sure don't want 08/08/08!

If it was hard to follow the movie plot of GOF without reading the book, I'm anxious to see what they do trying to compress the longest book into the same 2 hours and a half.

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Exceeds Expectations
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:09 am
First Year

I think this was a very well written and great editorial, and I sincerly want it to be the way described, but I have two things to add...
1. If she does kill Harry or other important characters (I belive she will ), as mentioned above, I think most people would still be mourning and not want to see the movies as much. I personaly think it will take forever to recover because Harry, Ron, and Hermione are real people in my mind; And I am sure that others feel the same way.
But even so....
2. Stupid terrorists! They ruin everything! I wish that 9-11 hadn't happened, and that the London Bombings hadent happened, because of the severe loss we all feel towards humanity, but WHY did it have to be on July 7th!?! WHY? Of any other day they could have done it, they picked a date that HP fans were going to look foward to.... I know they probably weren't thinking about the Harry Potter series at the time, and that it would have been just as aweful not matter what day it happened, I just needed to get out my anger! WHY!!!!

My motto: I've confessed, I'm obsessed!
My Theory: Book 7 will end in 1997, Book 1 (origianaly) was realesed in 1997. Coincidence? I don't belive it is.

WOMBAT Grade 1: Outstanding!
WOMBAT Grade 2: Exceeds Expectaions!

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Old November 26th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Fifth Year

A very good editorial. I had almost given up hope for a 7/7/7 book release, but you've made it seem still possible to happen. Though everyone's different opinions in this thread are making me lose hope again. Great job, nonetheless.. lets just wait and see what happens. It's true that after the books are finished, the movies won't make that kind of money anymore, since some people will feel the Harry Potter fandom is over.. but it's also true that if WB wanted to cash on the hype, they'd release the movie before the book.

I don't know what to think anymore.

I can't stand it.. I need official confirmation on this issue right now.
Why haven't we received absolutly no information about Book 7's writing progress this time? With HBP, we got the title a whole year before the release.. in addition to a few lines describing Rufus Scrimgeour, as well as three chapter titles. Why the sudden hush this time? I think giving small juicy teaser-tidbits wouldn't harm at all, right?

My Pottermore username: DawnNox88

Old November 26th, 2006, 1:25 pm
First Year

It takes month's to get a book from final draft to the presses and then to the book stores. Many cases it's almost two years. Granted with HP those rules do not apply. It took about six month's to get HBP to the presses and to the stores.

By reading Jo's diary entries it sounds as if she's still deep into writing the book and struggling from time to time. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 7-7-07 release. It sounds nice, but I wouldn't want Jo to rush just to hit a certain date for a publicity stunt.

Not to mention she is a perfectionist, so I can't imagine release dates being overly important to her. It's not as if she needs the money.

As for HP movie 5. 7-13-07 are all magical numbers. Jo prefers 12 over 13, but it is a magical number, no less. I would say WB picked those dates for that simple reason. I'm surprised it isn't released on Harry's B-day.

Old November 26th, 2006, 2:37 pm
First Year

Good editorial. 07.07.07 is indeed still possible.
But for myself I hope the book will be published December 2007, because we have already Movie 5 in the summer next year. Book 7 would be the best Christmas present 2007.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial