Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Found in Translation - Part One

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:23 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Found in Translation - Part One

This is to discuss the editorial Found in Translation - Part One: An Illustrated Menu by Robbie Fischer.

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:42 pm
Third Year

Re: Found in Translation - Part One

Wow! What an interesting and original editorial. I'm from England but I didn't even know what some of those foods were.
I cannot believe you don't have bacon or wine gums in America -- you poor guys!

Very well written editorial and great fun to read! I look forwards to reading part two!

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:17 pm
First Year

A interesing read. Imagining myself as a yank and not knowing all these kinds of food was most facinating. I doubt that I would be able to relate to the books and enjoy them as much as an American which surprised me considering the number of American followers. Perhaps if they all were Brits they would be even more crazier about the books

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:49 pm
First Year

whoah, that's my kind of Harry Potter research!!! And it was quite interesting as well. And it was very helpful of you to have pictures next to the descriptions. This was a very thorough and appetizing article, and now you've made me hungry!! What I wouldn't give for a treacle tart right now...

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:52 pm
First Year

I am an American, and found this editorial very interesting. I disagree with Boromir, however. I think an American reader can enjoy the books just as much as a Brit. While we may not have as much to relate to, think of how much we have to learn about another culture. I for one have become fascinated with Brittish culture partly as a result of Harry Potter, (and partly out of frustration towards American culture). Either way, nice editorial, I look forward to part 2.

Old February 7th, 2007, 2:57 pm
First Year

I think this editorial is a nice change of pace from the editorials that are normally found here. Now that you've tackled the food, are you considering having a stab at another subject ("translating" things like "dustbins", for example)? F.Y.I. WandaXmaximof, we do indeed have bacon in the United States. However, we normally do not refer to it as a rasher.

Old February 7th, 2007, 4:00 pm
First Year

Robbie, Thanks so much for the editorial and the research. Good information. You always seem to do good stuff.

Gratefully,

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Exceeds Expectations
Old February 7th, 2007, 5:16 pm
Second Year

Refreshing!

I am neither British nor American, but coming from Europe, and having travelled quite a bit, I never had problems following JKR's food list.

I had not realised until now that Americans faces so many challenges with the food! No wonder that when I prepare a cake for my neighbour here (USA) he says he is not a fan of whipped cream, and is puzzled that I brought a ... pie (which is certainly not what I'd call my cake!)

Old February 7th, 2007, 5:32 pm
First Year

Haha! very funny editorial! It is almost lunchtime in New York, and I am HUNGRYYYYYYY !
Haaaaa, bacon, chipolatas, dessert... I am looking forward for part 2!

Old February 7th, 2007, 7:39 pm
First Year

Now this is a good editorial! Wonderful subject and very informative.

You liken pumpkin pasties to calazone because very few Americans know what a pastie is but here's another way to think about it. It's probably like a pastie with pumpkin pie filling in it. The good news is that you don't have to go to Britain (specifically Scotland) to try pasties. You can find a variety of these in Northern Michigan where Scottish immigrant heritage is strong. Although I've never seen a pastie made with pumpkin in da UP, I'll bet it would be good.

What I'm confused about is butterbeer. What is this? Is it like Ginger-ale or Vernor's? Is it like tonic water? I suppose it could be a non-alcoholic malt beverage like O'Doul's or a watered down 3.2 beer, but I don't see much point to those products anyway.

Pumpkin juice is another mystery. Pumpkin is a form of squash, it's not very juicy. Pumpkin isn't even all that tasty. Pumpkin pie wouldn't be all that good without the ginger, nutmeg, sugar etc. I might be more willing to try one of those Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans before pumpkin juice, at least some of the Jelly Beans have nice flavors.

Old February 7th, 2007, 7:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by king View Post
Now this is a good editorial! Wonderful subject and very informative.

You liken pumpkin pasties to calazone because very few Americans know what a pastie is but here's another way to think about it. It's probably like a pastie with pumpkin pie filling in it. The good news is that you don't have to go to Britain (specifically Scotland) to try pasties. You can find a variety of these in Northern Michigan where Scottish immigrant heritage is strong. Although I've never seen a pastie made with pumpkin in da UP, I'll bet it would be good.

What I'm confused about is butterbeer. What is this? Is it like Ginger-ale or Vernor's? Is it like tonic water? I suppose it could be a non-alcoholic malt beverage like O'Doul's or a watered down 3.2 beer, but I don't see much point to those products anyway.

Pumpkin juice is another mystery. Pumpkin is a form of squash, it's not very juicy. Pumpkin isn't even all that tasty. Pumpkin pie wouldn't be all that good without the ginger, nutmeg, sugar etc. I might be more willing to try one of those Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans before pumpkin juice, at least some of the Jelly Beans have nice flavors.
I may be completely wrong, but i'm sure butterbeer and pumpkin juice are wizarding things and not British, if that was what you were suggesting King?

Old February 7th, 2007, 9:18 pm
Seventh Year

Butterbeer is a wizarding drink, but Pumpkin juice is concievable.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old February 7th, 2007, 9:50 pm
First Year

Great editorial! Now I'm hungrier than I was before.

I would have liked to see you include some of the food Hagrid serves because it is usually used in comical ways and is dangerous to the teeth and stomach. What exactly is treacle fudge and a stoat sandwich?

Last edited by Indy_Racer; February 7th, 2007 at 10:15 pm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:10 pm
Third Year

What a great idea this was! It was so much fun to read! I cant wait to see part 2!

These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die
Like fire and powder
As they kiss
Consume
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:17 pm
First Year

An interesting article even for a Brit. I am surprised at what foods you don't know about. I thought everyone knew what a treacle tart was or what wine gums were. I don't think i have seen them for years but then again they are not my favourite sweet. i can't believe you yanks didn't know sherbert lemon. I don't think i would enjoy the books as much if i wasn't British. I thought it was just the sense of humour and musice tastes that seperate the Brits and the Yanks

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:32 pm
First Year

Very funny. The only thing I'd take issue with is your picture of bacon rind. I think the bacon rind referred to in the books is just the fat cut off the rasher of bacon (the white bit on the picture!). These kind of details are one of the reasons I love the books so much. I'm slightly younger than JKR but I recognise so many of the references she makes to the England I grew up in - the food, the knitted jumper at Christmas, the pubs. Ooh, I've come over all nostalgic!

Anyway, very amusing - and welcome relief from trying to work out whether Snape is good, what the Deathly Hallows are and so much more.

Please write some more - and then forward them to all American fan fic writers. So may enjoyable stories have been marred (for me) by innappropriate Americanisms.

Last edited by Pale_Empress; February 7th, 2007 at 10:45 pm.
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:42 pm
Third Year

I was just wondering where the term "yanks" came from? I have only heard the term used in history books. I dont know whether I am offended or not. But as an american I have never been called that before.

These violent delights have violent ends
And in their triumph die
Like fire and powder
As they kiss
Consume
Old February 7th, 2007, 10:50 pm
First Year

Quote:
was just wondering where the term "yanks" came from? I have only heard the term used in history books. I dont know whether I am offended or not. But as an american I have never been called that before.
The term has been in common usage in the UK since at least WW2. I think (but am not certain) that it derives from a Native American word (yanqui perhaps?) for early English settlers in the US. It is, to my mind, an informal but not derogatory term.

I am willing to be corrected on the origins of the word.

Old February 7th, 2007, 10:56 pm
Second Year

Thankyou so much. As a self proclaimed fan of English culture, for examle the BBC is one of my favorite channels, I feel pretty safe with the english version of Harry Potter.

But as emersed that I am in english comedys, dramas, and jane austin books, I have been perplexed by some of the strange foods in the HP series. What I love in particular about JKR's writting style is she describes so thoroughly what is in Harrys surroundings, especially food.

I have to admit that I come away from the books feeling hungry after reading about Mrs Weasleys breakfasts.

I have a few foods that confuse me and I hope you can clear them up. Off the top of my head.....

1. Spotted dick....ahem. For this american I admit I was a bit turned off by the sound.

2. Kippers

Old February 7th, 2007, 11:37 pm
Seventh Year

Spotted dick is a pudding which is cylinder shape, and it has raisins and such in it: http://www.girlalive.com/food/images/dick2.jpg

kippers are atype of fish which is almost always smokes to give it a taste: http://www.seastar.ie/seapix/kippers.jpg

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial