Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Found in Translation - Part Two

Old February 8th, 2007, 10:39 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

Found in Translation - Part Two

This is to discuss Found in Translation - Part Two: A Field Guide for Americans by Robbie Fischer.

Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2007, 1:34 am
First Year

Re: Found in Translation - Part Two

oh, now I know how a Balacalava looks like, thanks

Old February 9th, 2007, 1:39 am
Student

This is great thanks!!

Are you doing one in terms? In OOTP I had no idea what Snogging was and was trying to figure out just what Kreacher was doing with Mr. Blacks pants?..... anyhoo, I did figure it out later...

Old February 9th, 2007, 2:21 am
First Year

Another fun read! Thanks!

One correction—I don't think that the Fang in the films is a boarhound. It looks like a Neopolitan mastiff, a breed native to Italy and recently recognized by the American Kennel Club as a member of the Working group, not a hound. From what I can find, a boarhound is another name for Great Dane, although it may not be the same breed Americans recognize.

Old February 9th, 2007, 3:41 am
Inconceivable!

I knew a lot more of the things in this editorial than in the first one. I have even, unfortunately, had tripe. My grandmother used to make tripe soup, which I tried not to eat. Tripe is very chewy.

Old February 9th, 2007, 4:52 am
First Year

I had tripe in Menudo. Once.

I couldn't find the perfect picture of "snogging" but I believe that's the British equivalent of "sucking face," a.k.a. "tonsil hockey." I always thought the word "snogging" evoked images of mucus being exchanged. Eurgh.

Someone asked me about "git," which is another hard thing to illustrate. I learned from Monty Python that it's pronounced with a hard "G" (like "get"). It basically means "twerp" or "jerk." Some of these things you can just pick up from the context.

It's interesting that the Brits use the word "cow," when speaking of a human female, in the same sense that they would call a male human a "git." As in: "That Skeeter cow..." In the U.S. a certain term for a female dog is used in the same way...so effectively, indeed, that most people consider it a "dirty word."

While we're talking swear words, I have a theory that the time Ron called someone a "b--" the word he was using had a double g in it and ended in "er." That's a very strong word in British usage. It doesn't mean anything in standard American.

And finally, if you've seen the first HP movie, you know that "bogey" is British for "booger." In American English, "bogey" means one of three things: a nickname for Humphrey Bogart, an approaching or pursuing enemy, and most importantly, the first name of the creature who will "get you if you don't watch out" (his last name is "man"). Or so generations of American children have been told. This is why I think the Latin American version of PS/SS mistranslates the "curse of the bogeys" as "curse of the demons" rather than "curse of the boogers."

"Er - I don' want ter be rude, but who the ruddy hell are you?" - Hagrid
Old February 9th, 2007, 7:03 am
First Year

Jumpers are knitted items of clothing that are pulled on over the head - also known as 'pullovers' for this self evident reason.
An open fronted jumper is known as a cardigan.
All of these items can also be known as 'woollies" because traditionally they are of course knitted using wool.

PS if you mean the Crocodile Hunter please spell his name correctly
ie Steve Irwin
a small thing but important.

Old February 9th, 2007, 7:26 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

Balaclavas are so called because when the British Army went to the Crimea in 1854 it was very badly equipped. As winter set in the soldiers suffered from the cold. Women in England knitted the eponymous garments and sent them out to the British main supply base at Balaclava.

And tripe is one of the most disgusting foods known to humanity

edit - in part 3 can you point out that Dumbledore's scar is a map of the London Underground (i.e. the underground railway) and not a map of underground London

Last edited by Mundungus Fletc; February 9th, 2007 at 7:39 am.
Old February 9th, 2007, 7:51 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
On the other hand, very few Americans have the word “budgerigar” or its shortened form “budgie” in their vocabulary. I’m still not sure exactly how to pronounce the longer word.
They are a common species here in Australia, both as a pet, and as a wild bird in the more arid parts of the country. “Budgerigar” is pronounced BUDGE-er-ee-gar. I believe the word is an Australian Aboriginal name for this bird.

If this text is blue, you're going too fast.

Proud three-time winner of the Flirtiest Member Hogsie!
Old February 9th, 2007, 8:10 am
First Year

I totaly love the idea of these editorials! It has helped me a lot, a lot better than google anyways. Isn't it cool that we (American's specificaly) know about all this 'culture' and it stems for HP? Horray for the fandom!

My motto: I've confessed, I'm obsessed!
My Theory: Book 7 will end in 1997, Book 1 (origianaly) was realesed in 1997. Coincidence? I don't belive it is.

WOMBAT Grade 1: Outstanding!
WOMBAT Grade 2: Exceeds Expectaions!

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Old February 9th, 2007, 12:24 pm
First Year

HAHA! These editorials have made me laugh so much! I never realised how many different words America has from Britain!

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:48 pm
First Year

Moleskin isn't made of moles (blecch). My dictionary says: "A thick strong cotton fabric with a shaved pile surface." But in the films Hagrid's coat looks to me as if it is made of moles...

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:52 pm
First Year

Great editorial! The dog in the movie is indeed a Napolitan Dog. A boarhound is about the size of a Great Dane but I believe it has wiry hair.
Here in Portugal they have a dish made of tripe; it's called dobrada and it is this that McGonagall offers to Trelawney at the Christmas feast in the Portuguese version.
A jumper is a pullover sweater usually wool. Where did this word came from? I have no idea.
Looking forward to the next installment

Old February 9th, 2007, 1:57 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_Carrig View Post
Great editorial! The dog in the movie is indeed a Napolitan Dog. A boarhound is about the size of a Great Dane but I believe it has wiry hair.
Here in Portugal they have a dish made of tripe; it's called dobrada and it is this that McGonagall offers to Trelawney at the Christmas feast in the Portuguese version.
A jumper is a pullover sweater usually wool. Where did this word came from? I have no idea.
Looking forward to the next installment
Well, logically speaking... a sweater is something you pull over your head...

Dare and feed it milk...?

Offering milk only annoys Knarls compared to spoiling... and you wouldn't want to know what an infuriated Knarl will do to you, now would you?
Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Outstanding
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations..
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Outstanding

Average: Outstanding!
Old February 9th, 2007, 2:45 pm
First Year

The more and more I read of the basic things american's can't understand, I mean "snogging", "balacalva" "trainers" and "jumpers" are basic fundamental things in helping you understand a certain situations. How anyone could not understand all these and still claim that they enjoy the books as much a someone who can is beyond me.

Old February 9th, 2007, 2:58 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir View Post
The more and more I read of the basic things american's can't understand, I mean "snogging", "balacalva" "trainers" and "jumpers" are basic fundamental things in helping you understand a certain situations. How anyone could not understand all these and still claim that they enjoy the books as much a someone who can is beyond me.

Oh - come one, we are not idiots. It's just a difference in culture. These are not main points or concepts. What the mind does not know, it fills in with what is known. Besides, we find it enjoyable to learn about things in European culture. That is part of the fun for me. I feel like saying something nasty to you but I will refrain.

Old February 9th, 2007, 3:50 pm
First Year

Thanks so much for these two, and (in advance) the third article in this series. As a Canadian, and one over 50, I am familiar with almost all the terms and descriptions used by the esteemed JKR in the books. In fact, here in Canada, we get the British version, so when I read about Ron's (and Harry's) Christmas jumpers, I knew they were sweaters. I DID wonder what my American friends would think them to be, as well as what they might make of balaclavas, hosepipes, tripe and puddings (the term "pudding", by the way is used very differently in Canada these days than it used to be - a pudding, in the British sense is, essentially, a dessert (see Dickens' A Christmas Carol, when Tiny Tim extolls the virtues of a wonderful Christmas pudding). Nowadays, we here in Canada seem to use the North American harmonised version of "pudding", meaning something creamy and thick in a bowl, usually deriving from a box with the word Jello on it, though sometimes made from scratch.

Just one interesting note regarding Balaclavas. Indeed, the term came from the type of woven or knitted helmet worn by the British in the Battle of Balaclava. These head coverings were, apparently known as "protectors" prior to the battle in question. Why, then, the name change? Well, it seems there were TWO articles of clothing that were renamed as a result of that battle, because of the fame and sacrifice of the soldiers. The battle of Balaclava was none other than the famed "Charge of the Light Brigade", lead by the Earl of Cardigan. You guessed it fans! To commemorate that ill-fated charge, the knitted sweater the Earl wore was forever to be known as the cardigan, and the "protector" the soldiers wore, which didn't protect 300 of those 600, was renamed the Balaclava.

In any case, as you can see, I love this sort of information and look forward to Installment 3. Thanks to all who have contributed to this discussion!!

The_Old_One

Old February 9th, 2007, 4:03 pm
Inconceivable!

Balaclava is not unknown to winter athletes in America. I own one, in fact. I think that people who live in the warmer climates of the USA would be less likely to see one or use one, though. They are usually only worn in extremely cold weather.

Old February 9th, 2007, 5:06 pm
First Year

There's so many words that seem so common to me. It's weird. And i've never heard of a jumper being a type of dress. It's just a sweater or woolly top type thing. also, to my mind the word budgie usually applies to the small blue birds.

Old February 9th, 2007, 5:37 pm
First Year

Hooray for part two! I knew all of the clothing, but as for tripe (ewwwwww) and the budgie, I had no clue what those were. How cute is that Scops Owl, by the way? No wonder Pig has a hard time with large packages. I gathered that he was small, but not that small! What about Eagle Owls? Those seem fairly popular with the antagonists of these books. Also, it's pretty common now in the U.S. for people to take cloth shopping bags with them to the grocery stores, especially the health food stores, and to farmer's markets.
And to you Brits who just can't believe that we "Yanks" don't know some of this stuff, you'd be surprised as to what you don't know about our culture, so ease up a bit, eh? We're all enjoying learning about your culture. You should be flattered.

best,
la femme

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial