Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

The Potter Generation

Old February 14th, 2007, 3:16 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

The Potter Generation

This is to discuss The Potter Generation by Erin H.

Sponsored Links
Old February 14th, 2007, 8:27 pm
First Year

Re: The Potter Generation

Great Editorial. Really good stuff that I could relate too. I've realized that I've been immersed with Harry Potter since Third Grade. It's really been a part of my life. Thanks for writing it.

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:51 pm
First Year

That quote is my favorite from the entire series. Brings a tear my eye.

Old February 14th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Green Staff

Nicely written. I'm a bit older (discovered HP in college, so that dates me a bit), so I can't directly relate to coming of age with the characters. This editorial captured much of what I've been thinking about how the books were structured. An interesting experience is reading HBP followed immediately by SS / PS (I did this recently) and it's remarkable how much the characters have grown.

Old February 15th, 2007, 12:42 am
First Year

Wonderful editorial!! I agree with everything you said. I first discovered Harry when I was in fourth grade, although Prisoner of Azkaban was out by then. I truly feel as if I have grown up along side Harry. The release of Deathly Hallows will hold a special place in my heart, because for the first time, I will be the same age as Harry is in the book.

Old February 15th, 2007, 1:12 am
First Year

It's so bloody true. I've never been more than a year and a half away from Harry in age as I've read all the books, and every one resonates with me as it comments on the stage I'm at in life. It astounds me now to look at the well-intentioned innocence of Harry in PS and CoS, knowing that I felt the same way about many things in life. It's also why OotP has always been my favorite book. Harry and I were the same age throughout it, and I completely understood why he was always so angry and yelling; he's dealing with first crushes, pressure in school, he's worried about the people he loves... who wouldn't scream once in a while?? Now, of course, I look back on it and see what people mean by CAPSLOCK!Harry, which gives me some insight into how people must have seen me when I was fifteen. It's all brilliant.

The Harry Potter Generation really is in a unique position. No other readers will ever be able to experience the books the way we did. I was eleven when I read about eleven-year-old Harry; I was fifteen when I read about fifteen-year-old Harry, and so on... It's such a privilege.

Old February 15th, 2007, 1:16 am
First Year

Good one.

OMT

Old February 15th, 2007, 2:09 am
First Year

Absolutely FABULOUS editorial! I was older when I first read it, I started reading SS/PS at around 20, one of my dear friends lent me her copy and was immediately hooked! I'm now starting the re-read of the books for millionth time I'm sure, and it's amazing to go back again and see how they've grown. Funny, if Harry were an actual person we would be the same age since I was twelve when it came out in 1992, so I also feel a certain kinship with him. I also share the dark wild hair, (though mine is curly) and also was a lot like Hermione and a little goofy like Ron, so I think that everyone can relate to at least one if not all of the characters. GREAT JOB!!! Keep up the good work!

Old February 15th, 2007, 2:29 am
Student

Very good!

Old February 15th, 2007, 2:41 am
First Year

Great editorial! I was eleven when I picked up the first book, and will be eighteen at the last. I can't pretend I didn't almost quiltily check for my letter when I started out!

Old February 15th, 2007, 2:44 am
First Year

Amazing... almost tear jerking... exactly how I feel... this is very oppropriate for the coming of the end

Nice Record, don't you think?

I MET JO IN NEW YORK CITY! SHE IS SO NICE!

BTW: I am "82% obsessed with Harry Potter"
Old February 15th, 2007, 3:00 am
First Year

Lovely Erin, beautiful. I feel envious of you young things because this whole experience has been so extra special for you.

Old February 15th, 2007, 3:09 am
Winning Teamster

I completely agree. I, too, found Harry as an eight year-old, but GoF had already been released at that time, so I've always been a few years behind Harry. However, I don't think that makes my experience with HP any less meaningful in terms of learning how to deal with life. One of the things I love most about the series is how real and accessible the characters are - their problems are more or less the problems everyone must go through during the process of growing up. Maybe I don't regularly apply the lessons I've learned from HP on a daily basis, but reading about these kids becoming adults has provided reassurance that what I am going through is both normal and bearable, and I'm not alone.

They're changing guard at Buckingham Palace -
Christopher Robin went down with Alice.
We looked for the King but he never came.
"Well, God take care of him, all the same,"
Says Alice.

Old February 15th, 2007, 3:16 am
First Year

Oh man ... I dont want it to end This has been such a huge part of our lives. Thank you for this editorial - it expressed my thoughts and feelings exactly. The line that was quoted, "I am not worried, Harry," said Dumbledore, his voice a little stronger despite the freezing water. "I am with you." Probably my favourite quote of the entire series, especially since Dumbledore had said the opposite "You're with me" at the beginning of HBP symbolising how much Harry grew as a person in the one book.

Old February 15th, 2007, 4:57 am
First Year

Aww that's so sweet. I have been reading HP since it came out when I was 11; and I was the same age as Harry. I've been addicted ever since, and I'll be at the end of my teenager-hood by the time deathly hallows comes out. I've had the books as a part of my life the whole time I was a teenager, and even longer.

Old February 15th, 2007, 5:00 am
First Year

very inspiring. i was in third grade when i started reading, although i was only in middle school during ootp and a freshman during hbp, so i'll still be in high school for dh, but i'll be able to go to my first midnight release (hopefully)!!!!

Join the movement to kick Peter Pettigrew out of the Marauders!
Make James, Sirius, Remus, Fred and George the REAL Marauders!
Add this to your signature to join!

Old February 15th, 2007, 5:29 am
First Year

Fabulous editorial! Thank you for writing it, Erin. I'm a few years older than you, and it's so touching to learn what it's like from the inside. And I'm awed that Jo can portray so much personality growth so accurately.

Good work, Erin. All my best

W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 1: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 2: Exceeds Expectations
W.O.M.B.A.T. Grade 3: Exceeds Expectations
Old February 15th, 2007, 8:23 am
First Year

I'm 23 and when I started reading HP, I was hiding it from the others of my age because in France, the Pottermania started after the 3rd or 4th books I think. I loved reading it, and it made me love english (I read them in english). So, my english skills improved with Harry That's what I loved with those books, and now, i'm learning spanish with them !
But I disagree when you say his last protector died : he still have lots. First, Hermione and Ron, then, Hagrid, and all the people from the Order... Also the House elves, don't forget Dobby hahaha...
Harry Potter was a great moment of Joy in my life, and I will be sad to finish the book, even with an happy end. I also loved those years of tremendous speculations on the internet and with my family, and with people I don't know in the trains, or anywhere... that's how I met a few people !!!
Will it be like "emerging slowly from a dream", or "go back to sleep" to you all??

Old February 15th, 2007, 8:44 am
Fifth Year

i was actually 11 when i started harry potter, and was 17 when half-blood prince came out. ironically, i never read the book while i was the same age as harry (i read book2 first, and then book1 when i turned 12), but our ages were always only 1-3 yrs apart at most. i never realized it, but you are right. growing up, going through my teens, made it more fun and even easier with harry and his friends by my side

Visit my deviantart account at:
Old February 15th, 2007, 10:01 am
First Year

Great editorial.. I could totally relate to what u said.. I was 10yrs old when I read the first book and the final book is going to come out a week after I turn 17.. In a sense, I grew up with Harry too.. []

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial