Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Dumbledore's Master Plan: Part Three

Old March 15th, 2007, 3:16 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Dumbledore's Master Plan: Part Three

This is to discuss Dumbledore's Master Plan: Part Three by Steve Connolly.

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 4:27 am
First Year

Re: Dumbledore's Master Plan: Part Three

Excellent Editorial

Old March 15th, 2007, 5:04 am
First Year

keep these coming! they are fantastic!

Old March 15th, 2007, 5:07 am
First Year

I check the editorials several times a day checking to see if the next one is in. Anxiously waiting #4.

Old March 15th, 2007, 7:51 am
First Year

I thought I'd find this here even though nobody listed it in the Today's Updates section. Very nice.

Old March 15th, 2007, 12:00 pm
Third Year

I am loving these; and I have thought/supported/theorized that Dumbledore had a master plan all along, just as you have. Of course, I haven't been able to articulate it quite as well as you are laying it all out. But I typically see Dumbledore as a very Merlin/Gandalf type character; he always has a plan, he plays his cards close, and he's not afraid to take a few hits in order to benefit the greater good.

Great job! Please keep them coming! Some of the best editorials I have read in awhile

"Even the very wise cannot see all ends"

Old March 15th, 2007, 6:43 pm
First Year

Good editorial, obviously, if Voldemort had known who was controlling the Basilisk, he'd have taken the diary from Ginny: you are probably right that this is the one area where Dumbledore didn't know entirely what was going on. I'm loooking forward to your next Editorial.

Old March 15th, 2007, 6:51 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseanalyst View Post
Good editorial, obviously, if Voldemort had known who was controlling the Basilisk, he'd have taken the diary from Ginny:
huh? why the hell would he have done that? the chamber was opened, and the schgool was in chaos. I'm sure that would've mattered more than getting the diary.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Wimsey's man through and through...
Old March 15th, 2007, 6:59 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

Sorry about the delay in the update section. That was my fault. It's in there now.

-Amy
MuggleNet Editor

Old March 15th, 2007, 7:33 pm
First Year

Because if Dumbledore had known what was going on, taking the diary would be priority, as taking the diary would have stopped the attacks. Obviously, he didn't know entirely and I think this editorial explains why pretty well.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:03 pm
Second Year

These are brilliant, looking forward to each one. J.K might be beginning to sweat, you worked it all out without book seven. Well Done, Keep 'em coming.

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.
Visit this website
godisimaginary.com/index.htm
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:06 pm
Seventh Year

Err, no, i don't think he's gone quite that far.

Do you love the Final Fantasy series, but have no-one to discuss it with? Then come and join http://forums.finalfantasyvii.info/index.php, a small friendly community where people are kind and helpful - much like CoS.

Old March 15th, 2007, 11:08 pm
First Year

Am thoroughly enjoying this series. Can't wait for #4. Your idea to look at events from outside Harry's perspective is brilliant. I think there are many answers to big questions that Jo has placed right under our noses--if only we read not only between the lines but from a different perspective. Keep it up!

Old March 16th, 2007, 1:06 am
Zonko's Employee

I enjoyed this editorial far more than the last two. It is entirely plausible that the diary was intended for Harry all along. Just a few points I'd like clarifications on.

1. More of a quibble than anything else--Dobby is not the only house elf that has been able to break the bonds of his master, at least momentarily. Kreacher did much the same when he defied Sirius and twisted his words as to be able to leave Grimmauld Place. Winky defied Crouch by allowing her fear of hieghts to make her neglect her duties in keeping Crouch Jr in line.

2. I understand that you are trying to link seven parts of DD to the seven books, but I don't see how book two really advances your "master plan" theory.

3. Most importantly, as you stated, DD did NOT know about the diary. This has been your main kink in the other editorials as well. DD may have suspected Riddle as you say but DD did not know about the Horcrux until after Harry brought the diary to him and explained the events in the chamber. It is more likely that DD along with the rest of the school, was wary that Harry may actually be the heir of Slytherin. As you say, DD likes to give the benefit of the doubt and at least knew that a transference of powers was possible between Voldemort and Harry at Godrics Hollow. But he warned Harry in his office that further happenings with the Chamber would put Harry's future at risk. In fact DD asks Harry directly at one point the same question that he asked Riddle "Is there something you want to tell me?"

The prophecy does not specify that the child born to parents who have thrice defied Voldemort would be GOOD. In fact in mythology, which JKR uses extensively, often times the bad guy is defeated by someone even badder. Also in Spinners End remember Snape's conversation with Bellatrix. When she asks why he did not kill Harry when he had the opportunity to do so Snape tells her that, for a while, it was rumoured that Harry may be the next great dark wizard. The events in year two with Harry being parseltongue seem to confirm these words.

Your main point of the diary being intended to discredit Harry is certainly plausible. But given what I just wrote could it not also be plausible that LM was trying to use the diary as a way to decipher if Harry were truly a dark wizard. (And contrary to the oft stated "there wasn't a witch or wizard that went bad that wasn't in Slytherin, Harry's being in Gryffindor means nothing. Look at Pettigrew, he was a Gryffindor too)

4. Lastly, while I agree that LM is inept as a DE to say the least, I don't see why he wouldn't utilize Draco in his endeaveor to plant the diary on Harry. (if that wasindeed the plan) Draco would have far more opportunity to plant the diary than LM. There would be no need for LM to explain to Draco what the diary was. He could even claim to Draco that the diary was cursed to cause boils in private places to whomever read it. You know Draco would have done as LM asked if he thought it would hurt Harry in any way. Also there is no guarentee that Draco and his father would run into Harry in the bookstore. Had Harry not got lost with the floo powder, it is entirely likely that Harry would have missed Draco and his father.

All in all, while I believe that your theory is entirely possible, I believe that Lucius never had a specific student in mind. I believe that poor Ginny was in the wrong place at he wrong time.

Old March 16th, 2007, 8:04 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by flimseycauldron View Post
But given what I just wrote could it not also be plausible that LM was trying to use the diary as a way to decipher if Harry were truly a dark wizard.
errr, how? LV was in Albania, and didn't know th events of year two until four years later (when he found out that the diary was destroyed.

Old March 16th, 2007, 9:15 am
First Year

I think it makes perfect sense that Harry was the first target. What you didn't talk about was how did Dobby hear about the plot. When he goes to Privet Drive, does he really know about what's going to happen, or was he just sent to get Harry expelled (as Harry first thinks)? He probably already knows, because he knows about the book. Malfoy didn't tell his son, and probably didn't tell his wife what he was up to. So he must have been discussing about it with someone else. Who? Why did Dobby overheard? I have been wondering if Dobby had been used as a messenger between Malfoy and this person. That'd explain why Dobby comes so often to Hogwarts. This is incredible that the first thing Harry doesn't ask to Dobby when he's free is "How the ... did you know??" He keeps asking while Dobby can't answer, but then when everything is over, he "forgets" about it, as usual.
I think we should analyze deeply all the things that Harry should have asked, and didn't

Filmseycaudron : Dumbledore knew that it was Voldemort. Just didn't know how. And he already knows about the Horcruxes. He just doesn't knows about the diary how would he? the first time he sees the diary is when everything is over. What a surprise it must have been, when Harry brings him a LV Horcrux that he just destroyed (with a Slytherin's Basilisk's tooth, please) on his desk !! Nearly saying "I have a dozen of them for breakfast every morning". I think that it is at this moment that he understands they have a real chance to find and destroy them.

I liked the editorial, though i think it's a lot more descriptive than the two others. Where's Dumbledore's plan? hahaha I say that because I was wondering which other trap you had found under the carpets

Last edited by sfgilgalad; March 16th, 2007 at 9:20 am.
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:12 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammi567 View Post
errr, how? LV was in Albania, and didn't know th events of year two until four years later (when he found out that the diary was destroyed.

I was just playing devils advocate here. When I say LM I mean Lucius Malfoy. I think you thought I meant LV. I really think that Lucius was trying o unearth a new dark lord but is is just as possible as the events that the editorials author descibes. You can make an arguement for anything with conjecture, you know.

Sf, DD staes in HBP that he didn't suspect Voldemort of having Horcruxes until Harry tells him, and brings him, the diary. He knew that a dark wizard could make horcruxes (like I know that people fly on airplanes) but he DD didn't know that Riddle had actually made a horcrux.

As I said, I liked the editorial purely because of the fact that the author makes a good point that Harry was the intended victim of the curse all along. Now I need to get my coffee! It's too early to think about plots and counter plots!

Old March 16th, 2007, 12:35 pm
First Year

Just a note in support of a plan to use the diary against Harry. If Lucious had really given out the diary against LV's wishes, he was responsible for letting a horcrux be destroyed. If this is true, why was Lucious still considered one of Lv's "main men" until the night at the Ministry? Wouldn't he have fallen in the ranks? LV is not the forgiving sort.

Old March 16th, 2007, 1:24 pm
First Year

I enjoyed the article, but the idea that Dobby tried to warn Harry because Lucius Malfoy wanted to plant the diary on him is flawed. Why? Because after the diary was planted on Ginny, Dobby still tried to get Harry away from Hogwarts (Platform 9 and 3/4s barrier, the rogue bludger).

There is the possibility that Dobby still believed that Harry had the diary at that point. However, why not simply steal it? Dobby obviously could get around Hogwarts without being detected (to tamper with the bludger, for instance), so why not just steal the diary from Harry? Makes a lot more sense than giving him a quidditch injury.

I think the more likely explanation is the one Dobby gives - that Harry is a symbol of hope, and Dobby wanted to keep him alive for this reason. After all, that's the reason Scrimgeour wanted to use Harry in HBP, isn't it?

Old March 16th, 2007, 3:44 pm
Second Year

This is an excellent series of well thought-out editorials. I keep checking to see if the next installment is in - I'm nearly as eager to read them as I was to read the last book!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial