Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Cover Art Unveiled

Old April 5th, 2007, 12:48 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Cover Art Unveiled

This is to discuss Cover Art Unveiled by Josh O'Rourke.

Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2007, 2:36 am
First Year

Re: Cover Art Unveiled

I had many of the same thought about the covers albeit coming to somewhat different conclusions. When I first viewed the american edition I was fascinated by the locket/pouch around harry's neck. My first thought was that it was the slytherin locket but when I viewed it more closely it looked like a pouch. That brought to mind "Clan of Cave Bear" images of the totem that the main character Ayla wears which serves as both a protector of the soul and a terrible curse for if it is lost or destroyed it can mean death to the owner - not too probable but just another interpretation .

As for the enlish children's addition I thought the trio was in the room of requirement. I have for a long time thought that one of the horcruxes was located there , left by voldemort when he came to see dumbledore that last time, perhaps that is why dumbledore asks voldemort why he has really come to hogwarts when he knows that dumbledore would be unwilling to give him a job, but as I remember , both the room of requirement and dumbledore's office are on the seventh floor so it would have been easy and convenient for voldemort to leave a horcrux amongst all the stuff hidden there.

as for the house elf and the sword - my vote is for Dobby and griffendore's sword - perhaps as suggested in another thread the sword is needed either to protect harry from the enchantments surrounding the horcruxes or needed to open the horcrux and thereby releasing the soul piece.

Old April 5th, 2007, 5:32 am
First Year

I really liked this editorial and thought it brought up great points.

R.I.P Sirius Black

Shipping
Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Old April 5th, 2007, 5:37 am
First Year

I do wish the ideas were a bit more original in the editorial, but at least this kicks off whats sure to be the first of many editorials on the cover art, and I cant wait to see what people come up with.

I TRUST HARRY POTTER
Old April 5th, 2007, 5:51 am
Second Year

I don't think it was meant to be a theory. I think it was just to summarize what the main ideas that have been circulating among the net.

Old April 5th, 2007, 6:16 am
First Year

EDIT (Removed by staff)

Anyway, adding another theory to the bunch: when I saw the UK children's cover, I thought that the trio was in Harry's vault in Gringott's.

Last edited by Jessica; April 7th, 2007 at 9:39 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 7:42 am
MuggleNet Editorial

As the editor who posted this particular editorial, I would like to say that if you think you can do better please, oh please, send your cover analysis to: editorials at staff dot mugglenet dot com.

I would also like to remind our readers and visitors to the CoS forums that we encourage differing ideas, yet discourage put-downs and harsh criticisms.

It requires great courage and creativity to actually write a publishable editorial. The selection process is subjective, so all five of the editors post five differing types of editorials. We don't expect our readers to all agree and that is the joy of having an editorials section.

Please show respect to all those involved.

Old April 5th, 2007, 7:57 am
Second Year

I think your editorial was just fine. As a matter of fact I was thinking along the same paths as you. Edited by staff.

I was just writting Mugglecast about the cover colors. They said that the color of the US edition, orange, represents the sky. I dont think so. To me it strikes me as intensity, fire and heat.
On the UK childrens version the thick black billowing clouds are coming from the forest, not the sky. Perhaps theres a battle going on inside the forest. The castle looks cold and abandoned, a stark contrast of fire and ice.
The treasure being Hebzibahs is intruiging! I thought mabey it was inside a Gringotts vault, possibly Sirus'? I doubt it.
Lets not all forget that theres a lake under Gringotts bank. Perhaps the trio has to pass through a bunch of obsticals?
Ugh! So much to discuss, so little time.

Last edited by MadMagic; April 7th, 2007 at 9:43 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:05 am
First Year

Let the hormons speak hehe
Editorials don't have to explain the sense o life each time. This one was interresting because it starts a specific discussion about the covers. There are not so many things to say about it, even if you could describe everything from any point of view you want. So, everyone can post it, and not just comment it to say "I agree", or "I disagree". That's all, and if the author is not imaginative, well, you're free to be and to tell him what you see, instead of what he should have seen. Some points are weird, I didn't understand the thin about the cloaks (but it's true I never understood why wizards had to wear cloaks).
About the necklace, I just think Harry will wear it when he destroyes the horcruxe, just as Dumbledore did with the ring. The treasure made me think about the harry's gold in gringotts, more than a treasure from an non important caracter. Some have thought of Kreatur's possession, but it looks like a good treasure, if you know what I mean, like, a happy one.
And about Voldemort, I think we're seeing Voldy being afraid of Harry, who's in possession of all his powers, and that points out that Voldemort is definitly THE ennemy, and we don't see anything about Snape (he's not in the back, observing from behind a door, or something like that).
But I would have been interested to know if the painter had read the story, or if JKR gave the ideas, or some clues. And think of all the other covers : they always showed the most important event that happens in the book, but in a way that we can't understand before we finish with the book. (of course).

Old April 5th, 2007, 11:11 am
First Year

Hmm...

Well, Thank-you to everyone that offered positive encouragement and critiques. This was my first editorial and I was very excited to share my views on the Deathly Hallows covers. Dwelling back on it, there are a few things I would have liked to have added and removed. For instance, I do think that Gringotts or the Room of Requirement are very likely candidates for locations on the Children's UK cover. Also, since Hepzibah’s treasure was already stolen by Voldemort, maybe it won’t play a part in book 7, since the Hufflepuff treasures are already gone.

Blueflamingo-What you said is definitely a big part of it. I wrote this immediately after seeing the covers on the day they were revealed. So, to me, the ideas were new, since the forums weren’t overflowing with theories yet. For me, it was a way of summarizing the thoughts I had on the covers. Looking back, I feel it does a decent job of wrapping up many of the thoughts on the covers, I just can’t think of a ton of ideas that people could glean for them without stretching too far.

Ojoslocos, Like I mentioned earlier, I DID write this immediately after the covers were released. I think given the nature of the covers and how they were illustrated, there are natural assumptions we can make. I don’t claim that I’m the only person to suggest the sword of Gryffindor exists on the Children’s UK cover, it’s just a natural assumption, given what we know from the previous books.

Edited by Staff.

Last edited by Jessica; April 8th, 2007 at 8:54 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 1:47 pm
First Year

I know it's weird,but it looks like the coliseum to me.Rome;(The color of the sky when the sun hit the buildings in the afternoon )isn't that a "deathly hallow"?

Edited by staff

Last edited by Jessica; April 8th, 2007 at 8:55 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 3:41 pm
First Year

Wow, talk about harsh! I have been a member for quite awhile now, but I don't believe I have ever actually posted anything. I was happy reading thoughts and I always got to the threads too late to add an original idea. But...I felt compelled to write this time.

Sure, this editorial may not have been extremely in-depth, but it certainly wasn't the worst thing I have ever read. I thought it was an interesting way to get the ball rolling on ideas. His writing was actually pretty good and his writing style has been used by many other authors on this site. It may just not have been the analysis some readers were looking for. Please remember that the editorials on this site don't always contain original theories. The essays are sometimes an extention of a previous idea, or just another way to look at it.

As a former TA (teaching assistant) who graded papers for two years I can appreciate critiques. However, I think some of the reactions to this editorial could have done without what could be called rude remarks. Talk, disagree, and even challenge each other....but do so with respect.

Old April 5th, 2007, 4:49 pm
Banned

Edited by staff.

To the author - What you wrote should give many readers a reason to look closely at the covers from both countries (and perhaps combine the outcome from both covers?). Could this be a clue I wonder.....an arena and a vault....Gringotts vaults and some place else we haven't yet seen????

Last edited by Jessica; April 9th, 2007 at 5:28 am.
Old April 5th, 2007, 5:09 pm
First Year

I don't think that the curtains Josh mentions in his editorial have any special signifigance. The artist has framed every cover in the series with a pair of curtains, which serve as a home for the blurbs about the book and the author.

Last edited by MadMagic; April 7th, 2007 at 9:55 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgilgalad View Post
And about Voldemort, I think we're seeing Voldy being afraid of Harry, who's in possession of all his powers, and that points out that Voldemort is definitly THE ennemy, and we don't see anything about Snape (he's not in the back, observing from behind a door, or something like that).
But I would have been interested to know if the painter had read the story, or if JKR gave the ideas, or some clues. And think of all the other covers : they always showed the most important event that happens in the book, but in a way that we can't understand before we finish with the book. (of course).
Bolding by me.

Mary Grand Pre, who has done all of the US covers (including an additional cover art for the Deluxe Edition) and all the chapter art, receives a copy of the manuscript to read. She chooses the scene(s) she wants to display, for DH she chose Harry vs(?) Voldemort.

The Half-Blood Prince cover was the first time the US and UK cover have had essentially the same scene. The UK artist is told what scene(s) to draw.

Last edited by BublGumPnkHar; April 5th, 2007 at 5:14 pm.
Old April 5th, 2007, 7:16 pm
First Year

Hi all! I don't normally post (how many times have you read that by a newbie), but wanted to take the opportunity to say a few things.

1. Thank you to the author for putting your initial thoughts out there and getting us on indepth cover discussion.

2. You brought up something in the last portion of your editorial that got me thinking. WEll, more like a wild-out-of-left-field-notion, but I'll share it all the same. I'd be interested on y'alls thoughts.

The scene of the American cover takes place in the outdoors. Since we can see the sky. Perhaps itís inside the veil. Maybe Voldemort and Harry are trying to leave the veilÖ

What immediately jumped into my mind was this:

Harry is looking towards the sky as if reaching out for something. LV is also reaching up, but I almost get a since that he wants to repel whatever is coming to them, however, he isn't looking up at the object, he is looking at Harry.

Loyalty to Dumbledore has already saved Harry against Tom Riddle and a horcrux once before and it has been an overarching theme in HBP. "He isn't as gone as you might think, not as long as those who are loyal to him remain - not an exact quote". HBP and DH are essenitally one novel in two parts according to JK so it would seem that this concept would continue to be important throughout DH.

The color scheme is orange and fiery. Hmmm, something coming towards Harry that he despereately reaches for that LV shuns, Loyalty to Dumbledore even when he is gone, orange and fiery....Fawkes?

Could Harry and LV travel beyond the veil with Fawked being the only hope of escape. Fawkes comes to rescue Harry because of his love and loyalty and leaves LV behind to be tormented for all time by the dead? A fate worse than death itself?

Do I think I'm right? Not by a long shot, but I found the notion to be intriguing and wanted to know what y'all thought.

Thanks again to the author who helped spark this wild notion!

Old April 5th, 2007, 7:43 pm
First Year

I also think that the UK children's cover is a picture of Harry, Ron, and Hermione at Gringott's. The round object that they're falling thru definately looks like a vault that would be found in a bank. It also looks like they're almost being tossed or thrown into the vault. Remember the rollercoaster type transportation that Harry and Hagrid rode to get to the vaults in the
1st book? Could Harry and co. have ridden the rollercoaster to the underground in order to get to the vault then jumped out, giving them the look like they're falling into the vault? Remember, Gringott's is the safest place (aside from Hogwart's) to keep something secret. Maybe there's one of Voldemort's horcruxes there? Also, remember that Dumbledore has a scar of the London Underground on his knee and that Gringott's is located in the London Underground.

Old April 5th, 2007, 8:20 pm
First Year

Remember the HBP cover, almost everyone was dead set on it being a pensieve which turned out to be false.

I don't think it is the Veil. I don't see why either of them would be returning to the Ministry, and most of the places we have been to outside of Hogwarts that have only been visited once or twice, usually Harry doesn't go back there, like the Chamber of Secrets, Grimmauld Place, etc.

I think its the Prison of Azkaban or either an entirely new place altogether. And I don't think they are helping each other(though that is a cool idea)
I think they are fighting for something (or someone) to give them what they want or they could be trying to open something, a door or portal which I suppose they could work together on, but I doubt Voldemort would want Harry's help but that reminds of Book 1 where Voldemort needed Harry to give him the stone.

Old April 5th, 2007, 8:57 pm
First Year

Very good first editorial! (I read your post.) I think you have a good future in writing. However, your editorial wasn't exactly backed up with a lot of facts.

For example: "Is Harry bad? Is Voldemort good?" You kind of just tossed it out there and I didn't quite understand it. Where's your support? Your facts? I'm not attacking you, I just want to know more.

"In all seriousness, though, I have no idea why Harry and Voldemort are both wearing the same brown cloaks. I doubt it is a coincidence, but I have no idea what they could be." Just take a guess! I doubt that it is really important.

"For whatever reason, Harry and Voldemort are not fighting. Itís almost as if they are uniting for some cause..." I mean, do you have any evidence that Harry and Voldemort will tag-team? Against who? What for? Why?

Please, I want to know more! Your editorial pointed out some great theories, but it kind of left me hanging. I wasn't expecting a 50 page essay, and I know I can't write one, but I think your theories need to be more detailed. Whew. Was that a run-on sentence? Anyway, nice first editorial. You've probably made a firm foundation for other theories about the covers to grow.

Bye!

SpottedOwl

GRYFFINDOR RULZ!!!!!

Yeah, that's right. Mess. With. Me.
Old April 5th, 2007, 9:26 pm
First Year

Thank you for getting the conversation rolling about the cover art! I've been looking forward to reading people's ideas, and you have a nice starting compilation of some good ones.

The cover art (as well as many of JKR's comments) has been designed to give us a feel for the major themes in the book, as well as to offer some hints about what may be inside, without really giving anything away (as any good book cover will do). I think it is fun and worthwhile to try to use those clues to guess what may happen in the actual story. I do think that anyone who has the expectation that any HP editorial submitted at this point should show the path to enlightenment and reveal the methods of achieving eternal happiness will be somewhat disappointed - the best we can do at this point is to try to take our best guesses from the faint hints we've been given (that have been deliberately edited to keep our guesses from being correct) and try to back them up as best we can, if that is even possible. Other than that, we should be patient with anyone's theories until we have the book in our hands.

So thanks for giving it a go - I do hope to see more editorials like these, because I can't help trying to make my own guesses, and I'd definitely like to hear what other people think!

I did not catch Harry and Voldemort wearing similar cloaks - good observation.
I thought that on the US cover, Harry was trying to catch something - like a seeker would.
I agree that this looks like it is behind the veil (that's what the curtains seemed to imply. Or the curtains are just decoration to make the cover pretty.)
The people in the shadows looked like Harry's supporters to me (possibly from behind the veil, slightly reminiscent of the scene at the end of GOF). This is consistent with the common theory that Harry's strength is that he unites people together and forms bonds of love (a strength which Voldemort lacks).

I liked your section entitled "The Cloak". It made me chuckle when I read it.

Last edited by Night Owl; April 5th, 2007 at 9:30 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial