Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

Voldemort: Will He Be Gone After All?

Old April 18th, 2007, 2:28 am
MuggleNet Editorial

Voldemort: Will He Be Gone After All?

Discussion for Voldemort: Will He Be Gone After All? by Ian Rohrer.

You know who?
Avada Kedavra!
Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 2:51 am
First Year

Re: Voldemort: Will He Be Gone After All?

i think that may happen and harry can get rid of voldemort doing something with the veil. but what can a ghost do after all ? would voldemort like to wander around being totally useless ? i dont really think so. and i wouldnt wanna see a plot twist like that from jo...

it is a good thought but i think it is more like a forum theory than a mugglenet editorial.

Old April 18th, 2007, 3:28 am
First Year

I was just thinking about this today and i suppose it makes sense,but what wuld happen to him once he was a ghost?Would he haunt places? It's not like he'd be able to do any magic.Though it would be an appropriate punishment,to wander the earth forever thinking about how his greatest fear has come to past and there are things worse than death.

Old April 18th, 2007, 3:40 am
First Year

Voldemort becoming a ghost is a pretty logical end for him, but what implications does it really pose? While poltergeists can throw chalk and unscrew chandeliers, ghosts are essentially inconsequential. If there's any truth to Dumbledore's statement that, "there are worse things than death", then for Voldemort, becoming a ghost would fit that bill.

Old April 18th, 2007, 3:50 am
First Year

This is a no-brainer. I've thought since reading HBP that Voldemort will become a ghost for the same reasons outlined by Nearly Headless Nick. The question is, what then?

Knowing Jo's propensity for humor and irony, and knowing that the position of DADA instructor is both cursed and vacant, the answer is obvious. Voldemort will spend eternity as the DADA teacher.

Ghosts have no powers other than speech, and are notoriously ineffective teachers. It's the perfect fit. He will turn kids away from the dark arts by making them boring.

There are things worse than death.

Old April 18th, 2007, 3:52 am
First Year

That's possible, I suppose. After all, what can a ghost really do? They wander around, they can't touch anything, they really can't do anything. Could that perhaps be LV's punishment? Doomed to wander the Earth forever as a spirit, unable to do anything? That just might be it, but I don't think that would be a very satisfying ending. Afterall, he is Voldemort. Who knows? He might find a way to regain a body even if he is a ghost. No, I really don't think that that will be a very good ending to Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1138 View Post
This is a no-brainer. I've thought since reading HBP that Voldemort will become a ghost for the same reasons outlined by Nearly Headless Nick. The question is, what then?

Knowing Jo's propensity for humor and irony, and knowing that the position of DADA instructor is both cursed and vacant, the answer is obvious. Voldemort will spend eternity as the DADA teacher.

Ghosts have no powers other than speech, and are notoriously ineffective teachers. It's the perfect fit. He will turn kids away from the dark arts by making them boring.

Wow... that's very interesting... I highly doubt that that will happen. That, I think, is a very unlikely and unsatisfying ending.

I'm Dumbledore's woman through and through. If your with me, copy and paste this in your signature!

R.I.P.
James, Lily, Sirius, Remus, Dumbledore, Hedwig, Fred, Dobby, Tonks, Snape, Mad-Eye, Colin, and all you other wonderful people.
We love all of you, and will never forget you!

Old April 18th, 2007, 3:54 am
First Year

It seems so obvious when you write it this way. I appreciate the short, to the point editorial with such a simple option. Hmmmm. The question really is: What then?

Old April 18th, 2007, 4:26 am
First Year

I've been sure of this for a long time--it's just that I doubt he could do anything as a ghost . . . and there may be something that Harry / the Order / MoM could do. After all, the ghosts we've met so far have been okay, nothing extreme like Voldemort might be. We haven't seen a ghost that needed to be removed . . . but maybe it's possible.

*too Potter for the movies*
Old April 18th, 2007, 4:46 am
First Year

uh... he has a broken soul so he can't come back

Old April 18th, 2007, 4:55 am
First Year

I don't really understand why this was an editiorial, but anyway... It's interesting but I can't see voldemort being a ghost. I feel like something more "exciting" will happen to him & he won't be able to come back. Maybe he'll be pushed through the veil or something similar to it. It's possible that he can be a ghost, but not very plausible.

Old April 18th, 2007, 5:39 am
Third Year

Despite the insistence of many, I have always held that Harry will face an ultimate choice of vanquishing Voldemort non-fatally or fatally. And HArry will choose the former. I find the idea behind this editorial supportive of my position, because Voldemort fears death, and would become a ghost if killed, he is not really gotten rid of as the pro-death people would envision. SO there is no point to killing him, which would leave him to haunt Harry.

Old April 18th, 2007, 6:08 am
First Year

since rowling said herself that voldemorts biggest fear is death and he would see a boggart as a dead form of himself, i dont think he would want to return as a ghost and be reminded that hes no longer living and constantly seeing what was his biggest fear

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:20 am
First Year

I'm personally in the Voldemort-will-get-his-soul-sucked-out camp, but I do think this is a distinct possibility as well. Although it leaves a rather open ending, don't you think? I mean Voldemort can be persuasive and charming when need be and he's really a rather good speaker. His name stuck fear into the hearts of wizards even after they’d thought him been dead for a good number of years as we’ve seen in PS through OotP. His ghost could still hold sway over people and while he can’t affect the physical world or do magic, he'd still be fully capable of manipulating people to do evil.

No one can honestly expect that Ghostmort would be content in simply finding a dark corner to sulk in for the rest of eternity. The moment he’d realize that he can go anywhere, talk to anyone and no one could stop him because he’s floating on another plane of existence, you can bet your bottom Sickle that he’d begin to form some brilliant nefarious scheme.

Old April 18th, 2007, 7:44 am
First Year

Somehow i don't think Jo would allow the ghost of Voldemort to be a bother to our heroes after the "lived happily ever after" part. Also I really enjoyed js1138's reply,

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1138 View Post

http://web.mac.com/cenzonico1/iWeb/T..._Prophecy.html

Last edited by cenzonico; April 18th, 2007 at 7:58 am.
Old April 18th, 2007, 8:30 am
First Year

of course, Voldemort is coming back to Hogwarts as a ghost and he is going to replace the Bloody Baron as the official slytherin ghost. Will the other ghosts be in awe of him, as with the Baron, or will he be the laughing stock? That would be the untimate revenge .

Old April 18th, 2007, 9:55 am
First Year

I rather agree with phil stone here I really don't see Harry killing V. But that said I think there is an important point that has been missed here. It is true that V would be relegated to just being a voice, but as this series has proven, words can be extremely powerful as a motivating force both for good as well as evil. Jo's words have fostered thousands of ideas and theories and motivated children to love to read. But one must not forget to look at history for examples of words used to foster evil - Mein Kamph spawned the rise of Hitler and WW2 and Marx's ideas spawned the rise of communism. Just because V could not physically accomplish the conquering of the world himself does not make him any less dangerous.

Old April 18th, 2007, 11:07 am
bribe

Even if Voldemort comes back a a ghost (which, I think, is unlikely) we already know of two methods of getting rid of ghosts.

1. Expose him to a Basilisk (as happened to Nearly Headless Nick in Chapter 11 of CoS).

2. The ministry of magic has the powe to "ban" Ghosts from approaching certain places or people.(They did this to Myrtle at the request of one of her contemporaries, according to what Myrtle herself said).

A short, to the point editorial although I think the topic is unlikely to occur at the end of the story

Old April 18th, 2007, 1:50 pm
Banned

The Bloody Baron seems to be relatively harmless as a ghost but is bloody and I would like to know why. Perhaps he was an evil git in his time also and is after all the Slytherin ghost. Who's to say that Voldemort won't become an ineffectual ghost as the Bloody Baron seems to be (remember only Peeves seems afraid of him when he is around but still plays up when he isn't). I laughed when someone suggested that he would become the DADA teacher forever and bore people into losing interest in the Dark Arts as Professor Binns bores those in his History of Magic classes. It would be ironic to have Voldemort teaching DADA a a ghost once dead as he s wanted the position while alive. However I'd prefer to have his soul sucked out by a Dementor and be in effect a Zombie-like being. That would be something worse than death I suppose as he would be powerless to do any evil - or anything for that matter.

Last edited by inkling7; April 18th, 2007 at 3:21 pm. Reason: typo
Old April 18th, 2007, 2:20 pm
First Year

This is an idea which I also though had some merit, however I also think that the 'one wiith the power to defeat the dark lord' is very significant - Jo doesn't make mistakes. I believe that Harry will have a way of defeating LV without the need to 'kill' per se. Remember that AK splits the soul as it is the ultimate act of evil, and one of Harry's special talents is that he has a soul that is whole and untarnished. I very much doubt that will change.

Old April 18th, 2007, 2:54 pm
First Year

Ghosts can have some physical interaction with the "real" world. Remember Moaning Myrtle's tantrums splashing water everywhere. I also think Prof. Binns interacts with his notes.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial