Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial

The Room of Requirement One Last Time

Old April 21st, 2007, 6:59 pm
MuggleNet Editorial

The Room of Requirement One Last Time

This is to discuss The Room of Requirement One Last Time by Shelly Taylor.

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:20 pm
First Year

Re: The Room of Requirement One Last Time

To try and interpret JKR's dreams as clues to the book may be misleading. Also, the idea that a horcrux is hidden in Hogwarts may be off the mark. There was never a known time when Voldemort had leave to wander the sacred halls of learning once he had left the identity of Tom Riddle behind. The planting of the diary was a desperate chance taken by Mr. Malfoy, who incidentally did not know what he was doing. So I would have to think that JKR's dream had more to do with her reality and not Harry Potter's.

Last edited by cenzonico; April 22nd, 2007 at 2:38 am. Reason: Clarification
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenzonico View Post
However the idea that a horcrux is hidden in Hogwarts may be off the mark. There was never a known time when Voldemort had leave to wander the sacred halls of learning.
Apart from the seven years he was a student there -- where he had a number of years to discover many secret places, including the Room of Requirement. We know for a fact that Voldemort asked about Horcruxes, framed Morfin for the Riddles' murders and wore Slytherins' Ring at the age of 16, meaning that if he knew how to make Horcruxes by then (which is likely that he did) he had about a year to hine them (possibly in places he'd already discovered in his earlier school career).

Please check out my new fanfic - Regrets and feedback.

Come Join Obliviate Forums

~* Proud Slytherin *~

Old April 21st, 2007, 11:45 pm
Third Year

I had always guessed that Riddle made the first horcrux with the murder of his father and grandparents and the ring was already one when he spoke to Slughorn in that memory. I was under the impression that his curiosity was more about making multiple horcuxes than finding out from Slughorn how to make the first one. But I think somewhere in the books, Dumbledore says something to contradict that idea, so I guess I'm wrong (yet again.) Nevertheless I agree with wandaXmaximof that Tom Riddle could have hidden a horcux at Hogwarts while still a student.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:00 am
Sixth Year

I don't think Voldemort could've hidden a horcrux in the Room of Requirement as Harry saw it when hiding his Potions book. It's not well protected at all. All a student as to do is think that they need a place to hide something, and they're in the room. Given, there are many other things in the room, but it is too much to hope that no one is going to pick up a golden cup or some other shiny object (since the known horcruxes seem to all be fancy objects).

If LV had a chance to hide a horcrux in Hogwarts, that would've had to have been his first horcrux. Voldemort is too scared of death to put his first, and at that point, only horcrux in a place that was not well protected.

And if he had protected it with dark magic, Dumbledore would most likely have found it.

It's a good thought, but I don't see it happening.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old April 22nd, 2007, 12:16 am
First Year

It is quite probable that JKR's answer about her dream was indeed a clue. Tom Riddle would have known, definitely, about this room and a good hiding place was what he needed. Hiding the first three Horcruxes with Lucius Malfoy, at the Gaunt hovel, and in the cave and having Harry respond to DD that the others could be anywhere in the world may have been red herrings. The quotes in this editorial pinpoint what LV had to do with his Horcruxes: hide them and protect them. And, just as Harry marked where he hid his Potions book, LV probably marked where he hid his Horcruxes. They are probably hidden in plain sight. I think it is very probable that most, if not all the remaining Horcruxes are hidden at Hogwarts, in the Room of Requirement. How did he gain access to it? DD told Harry he thought the last Horcrux had been made with the death of the Muggle, Frank Bryce and that it was Nagini. But, he also acknowledges that he can make huge mistakes and I believe this is one. Either that or he was deliberately not telling Harry the truth at that time. Before Bryce, the last murder committed with LV's wand was Lily's. I think it's possible that before he lost his body and his normal appearance, perhaps on the occasions he went to Dippet and DD to ask for a teaching job, LV had the opportunity to hide his Horcruxes. In my mind, he would only have had to hide two since I believe Harry is the sixth.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 1:13 am
First Year

[quote=dweaselqueen;4470895](since the known horcruxes seem to all be fancy objects).QUOTE]

I'd have to disagree with this. The diary was anything but fancy:

"A small, thin book lay there. It had a shabby black cover..."
"The little book lay on the floor, nondescript and soggy."
(CoS, American hardback, pgs. 230-231)

I had always wondered if JKR was giving us clues by telling us about the dream. This editorial certainly makes a valid point that it's a possibility.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandaXmaximof View Post
Apart from the seven years he was a student there -- where he had a number of years to discover many secret places, including the Room of Requirement. We know for a fact that Voldemort asked about Horcruxes, framed Morfin for the Riddles' murders and wore Slytherins' Ring at the age of 16, meaning that if he knew how to make Horcruxes by then (which is likely that he did) he had about a year to hine them (possibly in places he'd already discovered in his earlier school career).
this is generally a good catch but during his seven years at hogwarts did he have a significant item in which to place the soul piece? - we know that he had the diary, and the ring prior to leaving hogwarts, but do you think he could have found something else? I do think that V left a horcrux in the RoR, though for me it was the bloody ax (perhaps the one used the one used to almost sever Nearly Headless Nick's head) of course that would mean that he had to have hidden it prior to leaving hogwartsas an ax would be difficult to hide while walking around hogwarts. He didn't learn about the cup or the locket until he left hogwarts, and presumably that did not occur prior to his last meeting with dippet which appears to have occurred prior to his working for Borgin and Berks.

Certain passages have always set my senses on edge and for me it is the time 39 years prior when V comes back to ask DD for the DADA job is one of them. DD's office is on the 7th floor as is the RoR, it is not unlikely that V could have made a slight detour to drop off a special item, that is if the item was small enough to fit in his pocket ( the locket perhaps). I know we have all been presuming that the cave housed the locket b/c harry found a locket there but it could have been luck on the part of RAB that a locket is one of the horcruxes.

Last edited by plainlypotter; April 22nd, 2007 at 2:42 am.
Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:41 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I don't think Voldemort could've hidden a horcrux in the Room of Requirement as Harry saw it when hiding his Potions book. It's not well protected at all. All a student as to do is think that they need a place to hide something, and they're in the room. Given, there are many other things in the room, but it is too much to hope that no one is going to pick up a golden cup or some other shiny object (since the known horcruxes seem to all be fancy objects).
But doesn't the Room of Requirement look different to the specific need? ie/ full of chamber pots for Dumbledore, full of things needed for the DA. So if Voldemort hid a horcrux in the room of requirement nobody would see it unless they were specifically asking to find Voldemorts horcrux (or some combination of those thoughts)

Old April 22nd, 2007, 2:51 am
First Year

I definitely think we will see the RoR storage room (for lack of a better term) in book 7. I think it's a very good point and is quite possible. Though I don't personally believe JKR's dream was a hint, as I'm sure she's very careful about giving big hints away, it is an intereting thought.

The thing we forget is this; Dumbledore could not have watched over Tom Riddle during his entire 7 years at Hogwarts. We haven't seen all the relevant memories of Tom Riddle's past yet; just a few fragments. There may very well be another important item he acquired that is hidden in Hogwarts. And I'm sure this has been theorized 1000 times, but what about his 'service to the school' award? And what about Myrtle? Would she know about anything leading to a horcrux?

Old April 22nd, 2007, 3:02 am
First Year

hogsmeadejosh

one problem with the award - there are apparently no protections surrounding it considering how many time Ron had to clean and reclean it appears that anyone could touch it without suffering any ill effects. As for Myrtle- I would have thought that DD would have questioned her - he I'm sure knew that she was haunting the bathroom and that she was in school with riddle. Also didn't the diary tom say that myrtle was a muggleborn - I rather doubt that she would know anything , at least first hand , about riddle. I would think that DD would have more likely asked the bloody baron if he was going to ask a ghost- but then he might not have been at hogwarts at the time

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:00 am
bribe

The idea that Voldemort hid one of his horcruxes at Hogwarts is an old and generally accepted theory. The Room of Requirement is a possible place for a Horcrux to be hidden but I think a more likely location is the Chamber of Secrets. After all, only a parseltongue can open it and, apart from Voldemort himself the only Known parseltongue is Harry. When Voldemort made his horcruxes Harry had not been born and all the other Gaunts were dead. The Chamber of Secrets would have been the most secure place possible and would have been the most logical place available for such a valuable item.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:21 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribe View Post
The idea that Voldemort hid one of his horcruxes at Hogwarts is an old and generally accepted theory. The Room of Requirement is a possible place for a Horcrux to be hidden but I think a more likely location is the Chamber of Secrets. After all, only a parseltongue can open it and, apart from Voldemort himself the only Known parseltongue is Harry. When Voldemort made his horcruxes Harry had not been born and all the other Gaunts were dead. The Chamber of Secrets would have been the most secure place possible and would have been the most logical place available for such a valuable item.
Yes. And it had a basilisk guarding it. It could also be the hiding spot for Slytherin's valuables, as well. And it would explain why Voldemort was so angry at Lucius Malfoy. Not only did he allow one of his horcruxes to be destroyed, but now Harry is aware of a secret place that Voldemort valued. The Chamber would be a great place to stash any treasures Voldemort had.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:26 am
First Year

Plainlypotter - DD would have known about Myrtle because DD was at Hogwarts when she was killed by Riddle as a teacher. And I am sure he knew everything she could remember about her death etc because she loves talking about her death (one odd ghost..) Being muggleborn shouldn't really affect her knowledge about Riddle because no-one apart from DD knew anything about Riddle before he came to the school. And a horcrux only needs to be protected if anyone knows or can fugure out that it is a horcurx. For instance, if the locket in 12 Grimmauld Pl is a horcurx, no-one was hurt by touching it. But I doubt that the award would be a horcrux - not significant enough, unlike the diary, which showed his power and ancestry.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:29 am
First Year

Bribe raises a good point about the Chamber of Secrets being the safest place to hide a Horcrux since only a Parseltongue would be able to get in. But, if you count the times LV would have actually had acess to Hogwarts after leaving the school, there were very few-I think not more than the two times he asked the headmaster for a teaching position. And, while at Hogwarts, if he had an appointment wouldn't he be expected at a certain time? Even after the meetings, I think DD would have watched him and where he went thereby limiting his access to parts of the school. What made me write off the Chamber of Secrets was its location in the "bowels" of the school whereas the Room of Requirement couldn't have been far from DD's office (isn't it described as being on the seventh floor? And isn't DD's office up there, too?)we know from DD that it turned into a room filled with chamber pots when he had need of it in the middle of the night. It had to be near his office. It was a room where LV could have made a quick stop on his way to his appointments somewhere near the headmasters' office.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 4:41 am
First Year

sheppc01

The difference between the locket in grimwald place and the award is that ( assuming that the locket is the one that was in the cave) - it was originally protected by many spells, and the fact that RAB managed to defeat the protections only means that the protections are not part of the horcrux itself but rather the horcrux's surroundings. Once the locket was no longer in the cave there were no protections. Therefore the award would have to have been originally protected by spells and there is no information to corroborate that. It would seem that if there was history concerning the award other than that it was given for particular services to the school we have not as yet been privy to it.

My only point about myrtle is that since she was muggleborn, it is unlikely considering Riddle's feeling toward muggles that he would have had any direct dealings with her beyond the night she was killed so it wouldn't be likely that DD would have questioned her since she would likely have no information concerning riddle. Or if DD did question her it is likely her information was too insignificant to store as a memory. If you remember when harry asked her who was talking in the bathroom, she said it was a boy but she didn't know which boy. I would think if she had had much contact with riddle she would have remembered his voice. of course this could be that he was speaking in parseltongue so perhaps that might have affected her ability to recognize the voice.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 5:03 am
Third Year

Certainly the above description of the Room reminds me of the final scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where the Ark is stored with so many other presumably important/secret items in crates, that it is effectively lost once again.

But I dont see Voldemort hiding a horcrux in such a place. It doesn't accord with his self image of importance. That doesn't mean he wouldn't use the Room, but not the same version of it as Draco and Harry used. Voldemort might say he needed to hide something of great importance and significance. If the Room offered him the version Harry and Draco used, I think he would look elsewhere, or try to reformulate his request.

As for the Chamber of Secrets, has anyone wondered if it wasn't "Chamber of Secrets" rather than "The Secret Chamber" for a reason beyond which sounded better?

Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:25 am
Banned

The Room of Requirement (ROR) appears to turn into any sort of room you require - remember Dumbledore's Army used it for practice and I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been full of stuff then because there would have been no room for the students to practice their patronuses in if it was full of stuff. This means Tom Riddle or Voldemort (whichever one he was then) could have summoned up a completely different room to those we have seen so far and Harry and co will have to second guess which room to summon up that matches the Riddle/Voldemort room. So it is possible he used the ROR to hide a horcrux(es) since his vanity would prevent him from thinking that others could summon up the same room. Failing that perhaps an alternative way intio the Chamber of Secrets could be found in such a room since the way from the girls bathroom has nw been blocked off and I'm sure there must be several passages into the Chamber. Either way I think a visit to the room would be quite beneficial to Harry and co.

Old April 22nd, 2007, 6:47 am
First Year

Well, it's a theory, I'll give you that. It'd be a shame to have such an awesome place in Hogwarts shown to us adn then never revisit it again. However, I think taking Jo's dream as a hint may be a bit too much. As an author, she spends a lot of time with her characters, arranging lines and so on. Is it so far fetched to think she'd have a dream along those lines? I used to have dreams about playing tetris when I was 8

I like to think that Snape's potions book will have to be re-found at some point, as Jo made a real point of reminding us how Harry marked it for later reference.

On the subject, Tom's diary/horcrux was his high-school diary was it not? So, where did he hide is diary? Under his mattress? :snicker: maybe not jah. COS maybe, if he was desperate. But yeah, he had at least one Horcrux within Hogwarts while he was there, so having one or two dotted in there isn't really so crazy I guess.

Have you? Haaaaaave you??????
Old April 22nd, 2007, 7:55 am
First Year

I think this is a very good hypothesis. Thank you.

What it all turns on, however, is whether or not LV when he returned to Hogwarts to ask for a position have had time to roam the castle? I don't think so, because I am sure Dumbledore would not have allowed it. Besides, all non-professor adults we've witnessed inside the castle who are high-ranking Ministry officials, 'on duty' Order of the Phoenix members, or the O.W.L./N.E.W.T. testers are always 'chaperoned' by a staff or faculty member. And even then, the former and the latter were usually accompanied by some Hogwarts staff because of the offficial nature of their visit.

However, if I am wrong about this, those who say that the room Harry hid the HBP's potions textbook in is likely not to be where LV hid a Horcrux probably are correct. (Besides, while hiding a Horcrux in "plain sight" within a cavernous hall of junk would be effective, that just doesn't fit with LV's style. He prefers magical concealment.) Nevertheless, this doesn't discount the Room of Requirement in another appearance being a resting place for a Horcrux.

Of course, the question is, why didn't LV just use the Chamber of Secrets? I think he had a pretty good idea that a.) nobody else knew where it was and b.) he was probably the last Parseltongue (in Britain at least) left alive. Having a fragment of his soul resting in the Chamber of Secrets with Slytherin's great monster would have even more underscored LV's connection with his ancestor and the school.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial