Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Will Draco join the "good" side? v2

Old June 28th, 2007, 2:54 am
Curse Breaker

Will Draco join the "good" side? v2

No spoilers allowed in these areas. Please make sure you've read our Deathly Hallows Conduct Notice!

Link to Original Version.

Last few posts of original version:    

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur du mal View Post
Draco already had run out of most options before he even joined the Death Eaters. Lucius became a Death Eater out of pure free will, but his instant defection after Voldemort's downfall, the diary story, the fact that he had messed it up in the Ministry and is currently in Azkaban - those are factors limiting Draco's choices. If he had turned Voldemort down saying "sorry, I don't think I can do this, I'm too young to be a murderer", he'd have signed at least his father's death sentence, if not his own. If he had accepted first and defected to Dumbledore later on, he'd have condemned the both of them, plus Narcissa possibly. The only chance to save himself AND his loved ones was indeed Dumbledore's mercy. But exactly this mercy he didn't know until the night on the tower. He grew up as Lucius' son - in the US version Dumbledore says that the Death Eaters would expect him to kill Draco and Narcissa too because that's what they would do - so Draco wasn't quite familiar with the whole concept of 'mercy'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwartsherms View Post
I really believe that the only reason that Draco is on Voldy's side is because of Lucius like Queen_Princess said. He wants to live up to his family's expectations. The fact that he couldn't kill Dumbledore and Narcissa had to ask Snape to make the Unbreakable Vow show that he is not fully committed to Voldemort, but I don't think he has it in him to betray the dark lord and begin working for the Order. He is just interested in saving his own neck, so he will stick with Voldemort unless he finds a VERY good way of getting out of his service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCubanita67 View Post
If this is still a children's book (and Harry is going to live), then I can definately see Draco (like Pettigrew) redeeming himself in a big way...I mean, everyone deserves a second chance and a chance to prove themselves. The fact that he couldn't carry out his "plan" in HBP shows me that there may be some good left in him...maybe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldie153 View Post
I see Draco running for his life. He had made it abudantly clear that he doesn't like Potter or "that Mudblood and Weasly". Somehow, I just don't imagine a scene of him telling Harry he's sorry and that he's always admired him and he just didn't know how to say it to him. But would he help the Order in some way? Well, probably, if he's in such a situation where he has no where else to run, but he probably wouldn't want to actually join Harry or allow Harry to even suspect that he may be joining the Order.

Please continue.

It's time for some football!

J.K. Rowling's Official Website FAQs

Last edited by gertiekeddle; July 23rd, 2007 at 9:14 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2007, 2:57 am
Second Year

Re: Will Draco join the "good" side? v2

Draco is selfish, yet I do believe that he has enough sense to want to be safe. Because when it comes down to it, Draco only wants to be protected. Hence Crabbe and Goyle around him all the time. He was watching out for his saftey in the tower, beacause the only reason he smuggled in the Death Eaters were so that they could watch his back. Will Draco join the good side, in this case, the Order? Well, that depends on if the Order proves to provide protection. If members of the Order begin to lost to Death Eaters, then Malfoy will not join the Order, but if the DEs begin to lose to the Order, then Malfoy will join them.

Old June 28th, 2007, 3:10 am
First Year

No I really don't think he will. He is evil inside and out. He might act like he comes to the good side but is really trying to betray Harry and get back at him. NO way that Draco comes onto the good side. It did make me think though.

Old June 28th, 2007, 3:31 am
Second Year

I think that Draco will be somewhere in the middle if he survives. I think as long as he has Snape's protection, the death eaters will leave him alone, but if Snape is killed, Draco will be very vulnerable, but I think he is a little too brain washed and arrogant to join the order or the good side unless he feels that he must join (or pretend to join) to survive. I think he is in a very bad situation.

Old June 28th, 2007, 3:54 am
Secret Keeper

draco is not evil, but he's not good either, i kinda agree w/ muggle_born1, except instead for a sense of wanting protection, he's just selfish, just wanting protection is wormtail. there rly isnt anyone thats actually evil thats a current student at hogwarts, or at least i think so

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old June 28th, 2007, 4:35 am
First Year

I agree with foxywitch.
Everyone keeps using the term "evil." In reference to Malfoy and what we've seen so far of his character I think this is too strong of a word. Yes, he was petty and selfish at school, vicious even, but really that was just schoolboy bullying. He didn't murder anyone or do something equally evil, he was just being mean.
I don't think Draco has ever been truly evil. The main personality traits I see displayed in his character are arrogance and selfishness. He loves his mother and father, he couldn't kill Dumbledore - Draco isn't evil.

However, not being evil is far from being a really great person. I don't think Draco will ever fully commit to helping the Order if he leaves the DEs. There's too much bad blood there. I think he's scared and that his fear will be what drives his actions in the next book, which will lead him to flee and remain somewhere between good and bad.

Old June 28th, 2007, 4:50 am
Sixth Year

Well, Draco makes Dudley look like a thoughtful, considerate boy (CoS).

I think that Draco and his mother will go into hiding, courtesy of the Order, as Dumbledore offered--but I don't know how much use they'll be.

Happy Holidays to All!

Happy Christmas!
Old June 28th, 2007, 4:59 am
First Year

I wholeheartedly disagree.

In fact, at the end of HBP, I think Draco was seconds away from taking Dumbledore up on his offer of protection.

Even Harry - who loathes Draco - noticed that Draco lowered his wand while talking to Dumbledore and is described as believing Draco wouldn't have killed Dumbledore.

I think Draco realizes now that being in with Lord Voldemort's crowd is serious, dangerous and not merely something to be cocky about. He's only a 17 year old boy, and the realization that death is imminent and Lord Voldemort kills is enough (I think) to snap him to the side of the Order of the Phoenix.

- amy (a/k/a WizardsBestGirl)

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Dumbledore

I trust Severus Snape!
Old June 28th, 2007, 5:20 am
Sixth Year

I have a theory that Narcissa will freak out and run to Andromeda for help, and Andromeda will use her connections with the Order to protect Narcissa and Draco. So, Draco may become more tolerable, but I doubt that we're going to be party to his debrainwashification.

Old June 28th, 2007, 5:21 am
Fourth Year

Draco falls between the lines of "Good" and "Bad". EVIL is too strong a word for him. He's extremely arrogant and prejudiced, but that's FAR from being Evil/Bad.
Dudley Dursley, for example is a Criminal. He chooses to beat up little kids because he enjoys it. He also lies to his Parents because they've failed to wake up and notice what's really going on. He also steals from 10 year-old kids for the thrill of seeing them cry. The proof is in the fact he LIES to his Mother about having "tea" with his friends and being "oh so sweet" to his Auntie Marge, etc.
With Draco though I see him as being a little different. He is very arrogant and thinks the world owes him a living. He's been raised to believe the World owes him a living and things should be handed to him on a Silver Platter because he's a Malfoy and his Father is a Governor.
As to whether he will join the "Good" side, I don't think he will. The "Good" side are "weak". In his mind, they're "weak" because they believe that Sunshine and Puppy Dogs cure all ailments. Sorry I had to quote Dr. House there. He'd also have to admit he was wrong and work with Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley and Hagrid. Basically I see him going where Snape goes. Unless Snape dies early in the book and Draco is left on his own, I don't see him going to the Order.
He's going to go where he will feel safe, right now it's with Snape. Plus he has to watch out for Voldemort and his Father.
Unless everyone he usually uses for safety are gone, I don't see him joining the "Good" side.

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!
Old June 28th, 2007, 6:03 am
First Year

I forgot about Andromeda being Narcissa's sister. That would provide Malfoy and his mother with a connection to the Order shoudl they choose to take up Dumbledore's offer.

More than anything I think Draco is scared of what he's being asked to do for the Order. I think he will freak out and if he's with Snape then Snape's true loyalties will greatly affect where Draco seeks refuge.

Old June 28th, 2007, 6:28 am
Second Year

i think draco has good in him even though i think he is spoiled and rude i believe he will come to the "good" side at the last second and maybe he'll save harry. also i think that draco and snape may have something planned to stay safe i think they are both the same they both want to be on the winning side, maybe dumbledore told snape something in order to keep draco alive.

i love it!
Old June 28th, 2007, 6:31 am
First Year

I agree that Draco is somewhere in the middle. I don't think he will end up fighting against Voldemort, but I do think that he will abandon Voldemort and the Death Eaters. He may provide useful information to the Order, then go into hiding, but that's as far as I'm willing to go with him. Plus, considering all he did in book 6 (nearly killing Katie and Ron, setting in motion the murder of Dumbledore and the brutal attack on Bill, etc.) does anyone really want to forgive him?

Old June 28th, 2007, 7:21 am
Second Year

I think he has too much pride to seek help and admit he was wrong but not nearly enough courage or dedication to remain a Death Eater. I'm betting he'll make a run for it (like Karkaroff and many other Death Eaters) and unfortunately, get killed.

Old June 28th, 2007, 10:39 am
Fifth Year

Draco is a 'bully', he's not a killer. Put him in a battle situation and he'd turn to jelly! Will he return to the light......I think he'll wait to see who has the 'balance of power', before doing that!

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:47 am
First Year

Draco reminds me of those who joins a particular side because that side seems to be winning and gaining strength.

Voldemort appears to be winning all right, so Draco might see the Order as a pathetic attempt at defeating Voldemort, so he'll go after Voldemort.

Draco is a pure Slytherin who believes his side is better than everyone else. He thinks Voldemort is doing the right thing by killing all the muggle borns.

Personally, I hope Voldemort teaches him and Snape just how he really works and makes them question their choice to turn against DD.

Old June 28th, 2007, 12:02 pm
First Year

I think the face that draco didn't kill DD is a good indication of how he will act when push comes to shove. I cannot see him remaining with the death eaters, if you think of it Voldy was betting on Draco dying in the process of killing DD. it was payment for Lucius both failing in the ministry and inadvertantly causing one of the horcruxes to be destroyed. I don't think draco is going to have much choice but to "change sides" to protect himself.

Old June 28th, 2007, 9:29 pm
First Year

I think that he will try to turn to the good side, because he already noticed how horrible is the dark side. He will suffer the same fate that Regulus did. While trying to turn good he will be killed

I don't know but what I just wrote sounds awful

Old June 28th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4harry23 View Post
I think that he will try to turn to the good side, because he already noticed how horrible is the dark side. He will suffer the same fate that Regulus did. While trying to turn good he will be killed

I don't know but what I just wrote sounds awful
Yeah, that sounds like it could happen. I hope that Draco does turn good before he gets too far in with the Death Eaters. Hey, just a thought, but if Malfoy turns good, will Crabbe and Goyle? If they do, will their parents?

Old June 28th, 2007, 11:11 pm
Fourth Year

I don't think so..He went with Snape and the DEs to Voldy and Voldy if he didn't kill him, won't let him go to join any side other than his side.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies