*sigh* The CoS Staff keeps telling us to keep things friendly and polite! How can I do that AND stun the world with the brilliance of my ideas! How can I be both polite AND make sure everyone knows that I'm Right and They're Wrong?
A few tips:
*Does not apply to the DoIMC or the Leaky Cauldron. Much as we adore JKR her opinions on World politics, football and religion are not actually the final say.
- Take a deep breath. It's possible that the other members do have something to contribute. Read their posts with an open mind and respond accordingly.
- Avoid using the word "you" in a negative connotation. "Your idea is wrong" sounds more confrontational than "I don't like the idea that. . . ."
- Support your ideas whenever possible but bear in mind that your ideas are only ideas. Your ideas are not canon unless JKR has said the same thing verbatim in a book or interview*.
- Sometimes it's difficult to establish tone on the internet. Re-read your posts to make sure they couldn't be misinterpreted. Sometimes a smilie is useful to establish tone or connote friendliness.
- USE OF ALL CAPS can make it look like you're SHOUTING. If you want to emphasize a word, using bold or italics can sometimes be a better choice.
- If you feel someone is being rude to you, report the post. Please, I'm begging you, don't call them on their rudeness in the thread. Let the staff handle it, that's why we make the big bucks.
- Correct use of quoting can make the thread much easier to follow and your post much more comprehensible to other members. If you have questions on how to use the quote function please see this thread: A Guide To Posting on CoS Forums (Image Intensive)
If you have any questions, feel free to owl any Unspeakable