Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

Old July 10th, 2007, 3:15 pm
First Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Cover Art - Plot Speculation v.3

It could be HPCC - I see what you mean about the white 'beam' of light to the right of the snake's head. I personally thought it was light reflecting onto the surface of the 'orb', but who knows!

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 3:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPCC View Post
Thanks - found it. This may be a stupid idea, but does it look like the snake is breaking apart and white light is coming from inside it (to the right of the head, then on the bottom right curve and also where it crosses over itself towards the tail end)?

Sorry to post another, but I was looking at the castle walls on the UK edition, and I swear I think I can see faces in the walls - it looks like Voldemort's directly to the left of the open door - you can see the slit like eyes above a darker mouth outline in the yellow glow from the door. Then further left, under the rounded outcropping windows, you can see the rounded outline of Harry's glasses, and it looks like he's holding up a wand - the white line. Crazy?
To me it looks like light reflecting of the orb.

I cant quite find exactly where you mean but i cant see any face's either sorry

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.

Last edited by charmed100; July 10th, 2007 at 3:18 pm.
Old July 10th, 2007, 3:17 pm
First Year

Sorry to post another right away, but I was looking at the castle walls on the UK edition, and I swear I think I can see faces in the walls - it looks like Voldemort's directly to the left of the open door - you can see the slit like eyes above a darker mouth outline in the yellow glow from the door. Then further left, under the rounded outcropping windows, you can see the rounded outline of Harry's glasses, and it looks like he's holding up a wand - the white line. Crazy? If mentioned before, I apologize...

Old July 10th, 2007, 3:32 pm
First Year

Quote:
Thanks - found it. This may be a stupid idea, but does it look like the snake is breaking apart and white light is coming from inside it (to the right of the head, then on the bottom right curve and also where it crosses over itself towards the tail end)?

Sorry to post another, but I was looking at the castle walls on the UK edition, and I swear I think I can see faces in the walls - it looks like Voldemort's directly to the left of the open door - you can see the slit like eyes above a darker mouth outline in the yellow glow from the door. Then further left, under the rounded outcropping windows, you can see the rounded outline of Harry's glasses, and it looks like he's holding up a wand - the white line. Crazy?
I wouldn't dream of being as rude as to say crazy, but I definitely can't see what you can see!

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:00 pm
Third Year

Does anyone else think the UK covers are pretty, well, bad, compared to the US ones? I think the American covers are a. more interesting to speculate about and b. just better drawn! I don't mean to insult the people who draw our covers but really, I think they just don't compare favourably at all.

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:07 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffybot View Post
Does anyone else think the UK covers are pretty, well, bad, compared to the US ones? I think the American covers are a. more interesting to speculate about and b. just better drawn! I don't mean to insult the people who draw our covers but really, I think they just don't compare favourably at all.
I do find the characterisation of Ron, Harry and Hermione on the UK Children's covers a bit off-putting. There's just something about them that doesn't fit in with my image of the characters. They almost portray Harry as a bit gangly and geeky looking and I never imagined him like that. I much prefer the US versions I have to say.

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:09 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I think the UK cover of HBP was very nice. Overall, though, I do love how Grandpre does it.

C:\Documents and Settings\Tweeter1\My Documents\My Pictures\email\87384.gif

Ron/Hermione
Harry/Ginny
Snape/Lily
Old July 10th, 2007, 4:13 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffybot View Post
I donít know the adult UK cover is rubbish when it comes to speculating about what might happen but I donít think there is an American adult cover??

But the UK childrenís one I think offers us quite a few ideas about what might happen, I think if you look at the whole of the UK cover there is lots of room to speculate on things e.g. what is the Arch? Where are the trio? What does the castle or the snake mean? What is the treasure? Is any of it particularly important?

There is a lot to speculate about. I would say it is equal to the US one, the two artists obviously just think different things are important.

I think the drawing is about of equal quality, just in different style as for which is best for speculating we wont know that until we read the book and know what happens.

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:16 pm
First Year

Ok they're definitely there - I've polled my office and they see them once they're pointed out - let me try to describe better. On the wall to the left of the open door to the castle, you can see the yellow glow of the light from inside. Halfway up the illuminated part of the wall there is the outline of a brick. If you follow the line of the bottom of the brick, towards the left, you'll see the crescent shaped shadow of a mouth. Above, you'll see two small yellow slitty dots.
Further left, under and to the left of the windows that jut out on the corner, you can see some purple coloring. Directly under the "bulb" or rounded bottom of the window outcropping (don't know what that sort of structure is called), you can see a white almost vertical line. Directly right of this line you'll see the outline of two lighter circles in the purple coloring (harry's glasses) and an eyebrow and hairline above.
--> http://www.beyondhogwarts.com/harry-...lery.dhuk.html

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Ok they're definitely there - I've polled my office and they see them once they're pointed out - let me try to describe better. On the wall to the left of the open door to the castle, you can see the yellow glow of the light from inside. Halfway up the illuminated part of the wall there is the outline of a brick. If you follow the line of the bottom of the brick, towards the left, you'll see the crescent shaped shadow of a mouth. Above, you'll see two small yellow slitty dots.
Further left, under and to the left of the windows that jut out on the corner, you can see some purple coloring. Directly under the "bulb" or rounded bottom of the window outcropping (don't know what that sort of structure is called), you can see a white almost vertical line. Directly right of this line you'll see the outline of two lighter circles in the purple coloring (harry's glasses) and an eyebrow and hairline above.
This must be like one of those 3-D Magic Eye posters - I've never been able to see those things either lol

I can see something in the purple colouring under the rounded windows but as for LV - I cannot see a thing I'm afraid. I'll keep trying though!!

Old July 10th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Third Year

Quote:

I've looked again and i honestly cant see either of them I can see the shading and some outlines for bricks but nothing that makes me thing there are people are there bodies to these faces or not?? I was just wondering if the idea was they were trying to sneak in to the castle or if it was a more abstract idea of two face part of the castle (almost like davey jones crew in pirates of the carribean) ?

Old July 10th, 2007, 5:11 pm
Third Year

I don't think Harry can defeat LV in a duel. Also, with priori incantatem it is impossible with both of their original wands. On the US cover art it looks like Harry has the locket around his neck. I think it is there as a psychological tactic, to show LV "hey, I know your secret, we found them, guess if we destroyed them all."

Then it looks as if Harry is reaching out for something.

Old July 10th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Third Year

I always thought the armor, shown on the UK Children's edition, belonged to Voldemort.

Quote:
OoTP, US version, page 814:

"...Voldemort was forced to conjure a shining silver shield out of thin air..."
It could be a different shield, of course, but when Jo shows us something briefly she sometimes uses it later in a big way.

Part I: Acceptable
Part II: Acceptable

Old July 12th, 2007, 4:20 am
Second Year

I’ve found what I think is the best theory I've heard on what the triangle circle symbol is (on UK Childs)

For those who don’t know an animated copy of this symbol is on the Official UK books site

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/

The sound effects reinforce the fact that the symbol is engraved in stone.
The symbol is possibly made of two Greek letters.
Delta (a triangle),
Phi (a circle with a vertical line drawn through it).
If the Delta stands for Dumbledore and the Phi stands for Phoenix!
Then it might have something to do with Dumbledore's tomb hence the sound effects of the carving in stone (white marble).

What does this mean, I think at least that Dumbledores tomb will come into the story.
Maybe it has something to do with the title even.

Last edited by rettop yrrah; July 12th, 2007 at 4:25 am. Reason: missing words
Old July 12th, 2007, 5:10 am
Third Year

Quote:
Sorry to post another right away, but I was looking at the castle walls on the UK edition, and I swear I think I can see faces in the walls - it looks like Voldemort's directly to the left of the open door - you can see the slit like eyes above a darker mouth outline in the yellow glow from the door. Then further left, under the rounded outcropping windows, you can see the rounded outline of Harry's glasses, and it looks like he's holding up a wand - the white line. Crazy? If mentioned before, I apologize...
ill never understand where people see these faces
so far,
there are these "Faces" in the clouds and now the castle walls on the UK DH cover, as well as the ruins of the US cover
and forgive me if im wrong but werent their "Faces" in all the other covers before the books came out?

Old July 12th, 2007, 5:49 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettop yrrah View Post
I’ve found what I think is the best theory I've heard on what the triangle circle symbol is (on UK Childs)

For those who don’t know an animated copy of this symbol is on the Official UK books site

http://www.bloomsbury.com/harrypotter/

The sound effects reinforce the fact that the symbol is engraved in stone.
The symbol is possibly made of two Greek letters.
Delta (a triangle),
Phi (a circle with a vertical line drawn through it).
If the Delta stands for Dumbledore and the Phi stands for Phoenix!
Then it might have something to do with Dumbledore's tomb hence the sound effects of the carving in stone (white marble).

What does this mean, I think at least that Dumbledores tomb will come into the story.
Maybe it has something to do with the title even.
I can see what you mean. What freaked me was that Stephen Fry quoted the 'Drago dormiens numquam titilandus' and there are dragons on the U.S. deluxe

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies