Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

SPOILERS: So, who has seen OotP?

Old July 31st, 2007, 10:08 pm
Third Year

Re: SPOILERS: So, who has seen OotP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcornzyum View Post
Oooh, i loved that line! so evil! i love the way Bella looked. I liked Sirius' line too "Good one James!".

My fave scene by far was the possession scene though, gotta love the eyes!!

Another really cheesy part from CoS was where Harry uses the Floo powder, he clearly says "Diagonally" he doesnt even try to say "Diagon Alley" and then the cringeworthy part "What did he say?" "Diagonally" "I thought he did" *Cringe*
Uh... what's so cringy about that?

Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2007, 10:20 pm
First Year

I"ve seen it on Sat with my brother. Had to explain damn near everything as he's a muggle. Anywho, to me the movie didn't mesh. The scenes and plots just jumped from one thought to another, but hey I'm a smart woman wasn't chinese arithmatic. All and all, I must say that I knew that a lot of parts would be chopped up. The common demoninator of the series are definitely the books, WE KNOW THIS. However the numerator is always changing: THE DIRECTORS OF THE MOVIES.

Ootp is book 5/movie 5. WHEN WILL SOMEBODY GET IT RIGHT?!??!!!!

Take LOTR for example. The complete trilogy is directed by one person. Peter Jackson. WHY, OH WHY Can't one person dedicate at least two years to study and know and feel what the author is building into the characters in the HP series!!!

Five down, two to go. And no one seems to get it right. Find a trustworthy director who is dedicated and is on the same page as the author. (yes, pun intended!!)

There are two particular parts I enjoyed in OOTP. That was Umbridge taking over Hogwarts with those crazy rules of hers and the fight scene between Voldemort and Dumbledore.

Kudos to Neville!!!!!! He's really starting to come up.

Ginny: I see you, girl

My order of fav HP movies go as this:
PoA
GoF
OotP

To future directors: Let it flow; take your time. I don't mind watching a well on point, to the nitty gritty film as it relates to the book. I don't care if I have to sit through it for three hours and some change. JUst please....make it worth the time for the fans ultimate enjoyment. PLEASE!

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:06 pm
First Year

Last weekend I saw the movie and in short I thought it was a good movie. I still think that PoA was the best to date, but that's just my opinion.
I liked the montages they did in the beginning with Umbridge's actions, the Daily Prophet headlines and the introduction of all the new educational decrees (although if I remember correctly the book only introduced 7 new decrees).
I mostly liked the developments they have shown for Ginny. The way they made her noticeable to Harry (without Quidditch they had to resort to other means) and especially her non-verbal reactions to the Harry/Cho developments. I like how Filch's character is used since GoF to bring some comedy in the movies. His stake-outs before the entrance to the Room of Requirements were really funny to watch. I also liked the mirror with GoF with Snape hitting Ron after his reactions to Snape's inspection by Umbridge.
Although I loved the visuals I didn't really like how the Weasley twin's departure from Hogwarts was shown as with this they disrupted exams, which isn't really in line with their character (in the book they are unwilling to disturbe the Easter holiday revisions and as such I believe that it is highly unlikely for them to disturbe exams). I also didn't really like that it was Cho who betrayed the DA, but as they never showed the Valentine Day disaster I think they really needed a reason for Harry's loss of interest in Cho for the next movie. Although these reasons were slightly removed due to Snape's statements regarding the use of Veritaserum on Cho.
The worst part of the movie to me was the beginning. I didn't like the way Dudley and Harry's conversation was presented and I totally disliked the way they portrayed Mrs. Figg. The way I have read the book she was in in panic and her appearance, movement and lines should have reflected this.

Best lines? "Justice!" by Vernon, "Obviously" by Snape and "Good one James!" by Sirius. That last line really showed that Mrs. Weasley was right in her statements that Sirius though that Harry was James.

Vic

Old July 31st, 2007, 11:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchntr8nyn View Post
Take LOTR for example. The complete trilogy is directed by one person. Peter Jackson. WHY, OH WHY Can't one person dedicate at least two years to study and know and feel what the author is building into the characters in the HP series!!!
Meh LotR were great movies and deserve the praise it receives, but I think people overestimate it as an example and use the backward logic of 'it worked for LotR- it will work for [insert franchise]'. I mean the original Star Wars films changed directors and imo Empire Strikes Back and Return of Jedi, were more closely connected stories than the first 5 Potter movies and books ever were (ie. the end of ESB with Han being taken and RotJ picking up only with the formulation of the plan to rescue Han happening off screen). Even from OotP to HBP the themes of Harry's sanity and the Ministry controlling Hogwarts are tied up in OotP and the grief from Sirius plays no core role.

Now enough of my ranting, sorry peeps. Anyway just a quick comment of what I like most of OotP - Luna flippin Evanna. Maybe her accent helped but she had a really dreamy voice and even when she was talking about her mom's death I could here a sadness but that Loony Luna feel of her never faltered, but maybe because I really like Luna. I also think that Evanna and Dan had really great chemistry on screen and there seemed to be an easy but very real connection between the Harry and Luna characters despite Luna being a new character. Anyway gonna post my comments on Alan Rickman as Snape which was my next favorite part of the movies later.

Old August 1st, 2007, 12:52 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious View Post

The worst part of the movie to me was the beginning. I didn't like the way Dudley and Harry's conversation was presented and I totally disliked the way they portrayed Mrs. Figg. The way I have read the book she was in in panic and her appearance, movement and lines should have reflected this.
I agree. Harry Melling totally botched his delivery, and the actress who played Mrs. Figg was just... wrong. I wanted her to be more batty!

Old August 1st, 2007, 1:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Wow, I honestly didn't think anything of it.
Same for me too. I didn't realise that some people found that cringeworthy...(and I still don't understand why). To me, she was simply letting the audience (man of whom may not have read the books or seen the 1st movie)know where all the books and stuff are bought.

About Mrs. Figg...I expected her to deliver the line "Keep your wand out!" in a panicky and exaggeratedly paranoid way. She was just too calm and poised in the film!

Old August 1st, 2007, 2:24 am
Third Year

Yeah the Dursley/Figg opening was dissapointingly weak. It didn't have that same dramatic/comedic "start off with a bang" strength that it had in the first three films. That was the only let down for me. The rest of the film was very enjoyable though. I would have LOVED to have seen what Newell would have done with them had he had the chance. I remember him saying he was dissapointed and really wanted to do a Dursley opening too (in keeping with the series format) but ofcourse as a great director that he is, realised that it would have slowed the first act down. Shame because I just know Newell's take on them would have been by far the best and most "English" of the series.

Last edited by underscore; August 1st, 2007 at 2:26 am.
Old August 1st, 2007, 4:12 am
First Year

Why was DA practice Levicorpus? I thought Harry never learned it 'till HBP?

Old August 1st, 2007, 5:46 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
originally posted by Carinae
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81
Wow, I honestly didn't think anything of it.
Same for me too. I didn't realise that some people found that cringeworthy...(and I still don't understand why). To me, she was simply letting the audience (man of whom may not have read the books or seen the 1st movie)know where all the books and stuff are bought.

About Mrs. Figg...I expected her to deliver the line "Keep your wand out!" in a panicky and exaggeratedly paranoid way. She was just too calm and poised in the film!
Actually, I've always found that to be very cringe-worthy. They tell him to speak clearly, and the moron says it all fast and clipped. I don't mind Mr. and Mrs. Weasley's comments after that, but I always cringe when Harry says it.

And I was so disappointed in Mrs. Figg. I had this hilarious image of her, and she didn't come off as even remotely batty. She was very poised and not panicky at all. I was so, so disappointed.

I have to say though, that I was happy with the movie over all. I loved the DA montage, and I liked that Ginny was developed in this movie. I loved all the glances she kept throwing at Harry and Cho! At least muggle movie-goers won't be totally shocked now when the moment arrives in HBP.

And I liked that the trio was more balanced in this movie. I loved the part where Neville explained how Ron got them out of Umbridge's office and Hermione said, "Wow, that was clever, Ron!" And Ron replied, "Well, it was bound to happen sometime," or something like that. I thought that was so funny!

I remembered thinking all throughout the posession scene that that could've been a very cool scene, and it was good to show Harry realizing all of these things, except that he hadn't realized them yet! I remember thinking, "YES HARRY!" because of his attitude of needing to do everything alone at the end of HBP.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old August 1st, 2007, 5:53 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I remembered thinking all throughout the posession scene that that could've been a very cool scene, and it was good to show Harry realizing all of these things, except that he hadn't realized them yet! I remember thinking, "YES HARRY!" because of his attitude of needing to do everything alone at the end of HBP.
I sorely missed the line "And I'll be with Sirius again..." during the possession scene. Also, I found it a little odd when Ron and Hermione burst into laughter during the "emotional capacity of a teaspoon" scene. Huh?

Old August 1st, 2007, 7:01 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchntr8nyn View Post
Take LOTR for example. The complete trilogy is directed by one person. Peter Jackson.
LotR wasn't a triology. It was a single book chopped into thirds by the publisher.

Quote:
WHY, OH WHY Can't one person dedicate at least two years to study and know and feel what the author is building into the characters in the HP series!!!(
It's logistically impossible to film the movies in one shot as the lead ages seven years which is possible if the starting age is adult, not so when he starts as a child.

And no director of note would make a commit themselves to passing up everything that may come their way to work on one project.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 1st, 2007, 7:19 am
Banned

Well, that's very true...

Old August 1st, 2007, 10:56 am
MODLY CREW

New version!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives