Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

More Metamorphmagi

Old June 29th, 2007, 2:22 am
Third Year

Re: More Metamorphmagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive632 View Post
Wasn't there a rosier who was a death eater.
Yes, he was a friend of Snape and was killed by Moody.

I'm also guessing the "brutal faced" DE on the Astronomy Tower at the end of HBP is a metamorphamagus and I believe he is the Auror Savage in disguise since "savage" is a synonym for "brutal." Tonks says that for her Auror training final tests she aced the concealment and disguise part. Since they test for it, the ability to disguise oneself must be important for Aurors, presumably to follow or infiltrate groups of Dark Wizards. Even though metamorphamagi are rare, they might be specially recruited to be Aurors since they automatically are good at disguise and thus can easily infiltrate groups of Dark Wizards. My guess is Savage is one of the Order's spies who has infiltrated the DEs or he even could be a Ministry spy who has infiltrated the DEs. A clue to his loyalty could be how he stops Fenfir from attacking Dumbledore.

Sponsored Links
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:56 pm
Fifth Year

Yes plus the fact that Rufus Scrimegeour knew that there was a death eater on the roof points to the fact that he could be a mole of the ministries. There was also a mention of someone taking that plant to bode at St Mungo's which killed him. That could have been a metamorphagus too, one of the death eaters.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 7:38 pm
Second Year

I think it is fairly likely that we will see another metamorphmagi in the seventh book. Either that, or Tonks' being one will become very important somehow. I do not think Jo would have written this power into the story if it was not going to be important; so far it has only been a tiny part of the story.

I really got the sense that the introduction of Tonks as a metamorphmagi was not because Tonks was going to do something great in the seventh book, but rather because we will find out that someone else was one all along. She has certainly done this bait and switch before. She often has innocently introduced a power or quality so that we can become familiar with the concept for when she really hits us with the same power or quality later in the series. Polyjuice Potion and animagi immediately come to mind.

I think it is very likely that in the seventh book we will find out that a major character has been a metamorphmagi all along. I have no idea who though.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 8:59 pm
Second Year

i think if we did not see another metamorohmagi, then tonks would have a very large part in the final book.
There has to be a reason for her being able to change her appearence.

Jo

'I am a wizard, not a baboon brandishing a stick'
Old July 4th, 2007, 9:36 pm
Fifth Year

One thing that just occured to me when I was listening to mugglecast was that Draco is a sort of relative of Tonks and I thought that perhaps if It does run in families that maybe he could have the gene or even his mother.

Old July 4th, 2007, 10:31 pm
First Year

JK has said that metamorphmagi are really rare, no? But I
agree it doesn't make sense to introduce the idea unless it has
some larger role to play. Hmm...

Isn't Tonks related to both Sirius and Bellatrix?
So what if Bellatrix were? (since it runs in bloodlines)

Another thought... when Dumbledore tested whether Kreacher
had to follow Harry's orders (in Half Blood Prince)... what if it
wasn't really Kreacher? (and it was Bellatrix or another DE
metamorphmagus instead).

Not sure where these take us.... just what popped into my head
perusing the thread....

The feathered wolf
Old July 5th, 2007, 10:45 pm
First Year

Just a (crazy) thought,
But first two excerpts from OoTP:

"Aunt Petunia had never in her life looked at him like that before.Her large, pale eyes (so unlike her sister's) were not narrowed in dislike or anger, they were wide and fearful."

"Ányway that's not the point',interjected Tonks, whose pink hair seemed to offend Aunt Petunia more than all the rest put together, for she closed her eyes rather than look at her."

Now combining the two: There are two possibilities, the first is that Aunt Petunia is a "undercover" Metamorphmagi lacking magical abilities. The second: a yet unknown Metamorphagus is performing as Aunt P.
In both cases neither want to be detected as such, this could be the reason for avoiding eye contact with Tonks.
And talking about pale eyes, which family is known for having pale eyes?

I know this all could be far, far fetched. But remember we all have to ease the long, eager wait until july the 21st.
It's all between a future Auror or just an old fraud...

Old July 10th, 2007, 5:56 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsweape View Post
I really got the sense that the introduction of Tonks as a metamorphmagi was not because Tonks was going to do something great in the seventh book, but rather because we will find out that someone else was one all along. She has certainly done this bait and switch before. She often has innocently introduced a power or quality so that we can become familiar with the concept for when she really hits us with the same power or quality later in the series. Polyjuice Potion and animagi immediately come to mind.

I think it is very likely that in the seventh book we will find out that a major character has been a metamorphmagi all along. I have no idea who though.
I posted on the previous page that Merope might have been a metamorphamagus.

If Merope was a metamorphamagus, that might explain why Voldemort's appearance changes so much when he experiments with magic. For a normal Wizard, magical experimentation might not change their face so much. But if Voldemort's mom was a metamorphamagus, even if V wasn't one he carried the gene. So when V experiments with magic, the metamorphamagus gene expresses itself through strongly changing his face.

Favorie quotes - "There's rosemary, that's for remembrance" - Ophelia, Hamlet, Shakespeare "Bless you, my darling, and remember you are always in the heart - oh tucked so close there is no chance of escape - of your sister." ~ Katherine Mansfield "A serpent signifies a king because of its strength." - Artemidorus, Oneirocritica "They called me the hyacinth girl.'" - T.S. Eliot, The Waste Land, as narrated by Tiresias "I have been a multitude of shapes, Before I assumed a consistent form." - Taliesin.
Old July 10th, 2007, 12:02 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmapince View Post
My guess is Savage is one of the Order's spies who has infiltrated the DEs or he even could be a Ministry spy who has infiltrated the DEs. A clue to his loyalty could be how he stops Fenfir from attacking Dumbledore.
Hmm never considered that. I think it's more probable that he's a Ministry spy rather than a member of the Order. I would think that anyone connected to Dumbledore would be watched and that Death Eaters would know each other from their time in Slytherin at Hogwarts.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old July 10th, 2007, 1:37 pm
Second Year

I've long assumed that Metamorphmagi will play a greater role in the story - if only because it's such a huge concept to introduce without using it fully. Although we know Tonks is a metamorphmagus so far she hasn't done anything she couldn't have done without this "talent" (i.e. she could have used polyjuice potion or something else).

I think a longstanding character will turn out to be a metamorphmagus - after all the great advantage of a metamorphmagus impersonating someone is that they can do it indefinintely and don't need to drink a potion every hour. Nor do they need access to the hairs of the person they are impersonating. So I think someone we think we know will turn out to be somebody else completely. Maybe Flich!!! What if he's not a squib at all, but a DE disguised as a squib!

Or what if Madame Irma Pince is not the librarian, or even Snape's mother, but RAB???

Old July 10th, 2007, 3:06 pm
Second Year

I agree that we probably will see a charactor that we thought that we knew to become a metamorphmagi. It could be almost anyone, but it probably does run in bloodlines, so it could be any charactor except a muggle born. There again, perhaps it could be a muggle born, so...I have no idea. But we do know that it is very powerful magic, and can be very useful to whichever side has him or her.

Old August 3rd, 2007, 1:49 am
Third Year

I think that is a great ability to have. Since we do not hear of it much in the books, it must be an extremely rare trait.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies