Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2



 
 
Thread Tools
  #361  
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:08 pm
charmed100  Female.gif charmed100 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4837 days
Location: Behind you...BOO!!!!
Age: 32
Posts: 256
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimsieBug View Post
maybe petunia had powers, but somehow they got taken away or she lost them when she was very young? Use of underage magic? some kind of accident?
not too sure!
Nope Jo has said that petunia has never used magic nor will she ever. Which is what i think is the problem jelousy.


__________________


Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Sponsored Links
  #362  
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:40 pm
PeterWiggin  Female.gif PeterWiggin is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4873 days
Location: California
Age: 29
Posts: 252
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rettop yrrah View Post
I think Petunia was probably attacked by dementors or been to azkaban at some point. Which is why she reacted the way she did when her son was attacked. She covered it by saying she overheard that boy, but in reality her knowledge was first hand. The content of past letters would have been about this...
There is definitely some personal ill will towards the wizarding world, and I can see that a lot of it derives from her being secondary to Lily, but the way she directs it at the entire community makes it seem like she was touched by it otherwise. I remember hearing about James' parents, but forgive me, I'm blanking on Lily's. The fact that Ginny was at risk because of attachment to Harry suggests that Lily's parents could have been placed in a similar position--potentially including Petunia.


__________________
  #363  
Old July 9th, 2007, 12:15 am
eviljim13  Male.gif eviljim13 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4554 days
Location: Brooklyn,NYC
Age: 56
Posts: 188
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Petunia is not magic !let that be clear.But she is diferent from most other muggles in that she knows the wizarding world!!!She avoids it like the plagie.But she seems to know all about it.Harry was blown away in OOTP when Petunia knew so much about the wizarding world.Going into the future-Petunia will give up her secrets-it is now or never-and Petunia will spill her secrets-but I know she won't enjoy it


__________________
evil jim friendly
  #364  
Old July 9th, 2007, 7:14 am
vickilind's Avatar
vickilind  Female.gif vickilind is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4923 days
Location: Godrics Hollow
Age: 57
Posts: 1,074
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Petunia is not, never was, and never will be a witch. Same goes for Dudley. CHeck JKR's web site and read the quotes.
As for what we will learn; she knows more about the wizarding world than we have seen so far. It was surprising in Order that she knew about Dementors and Voldemort. Soooo....she probably knows more about the 1st war and how it was being fought (through Lily) and, more likely, has info regarding Lily that will play into helping Harry defeat LV. IMHO


__________________
Join theASA and keep us free from spoilers!


It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson


Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
  #365  
Old July 9th, 2007, 7:54 am
snuffles_13  Female.gif snuffles_13 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4125 days
Location: ntown sq, pa
Age: 26
Posts: 12
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

petunia is not a witch/squib/or anything else. she is muggle. JKR sed so.


__________________
all was well.
  #366  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:03 am
rettop yrrah  Male.gif rettop yrrah is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5257 days
Posts: 145
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

I was rereading PS/SS and there is this moment when Vernen is saying that Harry is not going to go to Hogwarts and she says

"but"

however before she says more Vernen yells "I am not having one in the house"

What was she going to say? Does she at this point know something that makes her think Harry should go to the school? If before this she had knowledge about Voldemort, did she know what harry faced?


__________________
SS CoS - PoA - GoF - OotF - HBP - DH(p1) - DH(p2) - ???
  #367  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:07 am
vickilind's Avatar
vickilind  Female.gif vickilind is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4923 days
Location: Godrics Hollow
Age: 57
Posts: 1,074
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

WHere is that quote? I'm flipping through my book and I can't find it. Could you tell me where it is?


__________________
Join theASA and keep us free from spoilers!


It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson


Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
  #368  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:17 am
rettop yrrah  Male.gif rettop yrrah is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5257 days
Posts: 145
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Don't have a page number my book is not handy now...

Chapter 3 - When the first letter for harry arrives, just after harry was kicked out of kitchen and the Dursley are looking at it.


__________________
SS CoS - PoA - GoF - OotF - HBP - DH(p1) - DH(p2) - ???
  #369  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:25 am
vickilind's Avatar
vickilind  Female.gif vickilind is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4923 days
Location: Godrics Hollow
Age: 57
Posts: 1,074
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Okay, found it
Harry could see Uncle Vernon's shiny black shoes pacing up and down the kitchen.
"No," he said finally, "No, we'll ignore it. If they dont' get an answer...Yes, that's best...we won't do anything..."
"But---"
"I'm not having one in the house Petunia! DIdn't we swear when we took him in we'd stamp out the dangerous nonsense?!

page 36, US paperback edition
Put in context, I think that Petunia is saying "but" to the idea of ignoring the letter, not that she had something else going on.


__________________
Join theASA and keep us free from spoilers!


It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson


Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
  #370  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:30 am
rettop yrrah  Male.gif rettop yrrah is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 5257 days
Posts: 145
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

but his reaction to her but seems to say he took it another way almost like they had had the discussion before.


__________________
SS CoS - PoA - GoF - OotF - HBP - DH(p1) - DH(p2) - ???
  #371  
Old July 9th, 2007, 8:36 am
vickilind's Avatar
vickilind  Female.gif vickilind is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4923 days
Location: Godrics Hollow
Age: 57
Posts: 1,074
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

I disagree; I see her "but" as an indication that she disagrees with the way he is trying to deal with the letter, ignoring it.
Now, since she has knowledge of the wizarding world, her "but" might have been, Honey, you don't know these people, they'll keep trying. Even that I have trouble with though.
I think she was thinking, as she said in just above the quote I gave, maybe we should write back? Tell them we don't want--"


__________________
Join theASA and keep us free from spoilers!


It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Homer Simpson


Proud member of: The Lyceum, the LDA, Moonies Loonies, Knights of the Order of St. Biclavret, Cod Squad, Big Squishy Hugs for Lupin, There will be NO death by Poking Society.
  #372  
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:27 am
fuzzypatronus  Female.gif fuzzypatronus is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4828 days
Age: 38
Posts: 5
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhish View Post
Perhaps she and Mrs. Figg were in conjuction with one another. Why else would they let Mrs. Figg babysit him all the time?
I think petunia's secret has something to do with mrs Figg, as JKR mentioned that petunia as squib is a "good guess" and the only squib I can connect her to is Figgy.


  #373  
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:21 am
charmed100  Female.gif charmed100 is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4837 days
Location: Behind you...BOO!!!!
Age: 32
Posts: 256
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterWiggin View Post
I remember hearing about James' parents, but forgive me, I'm blanking on Lily's. The fact that Ginny was at risk because of attachment to Harry suggests that Lily's parents could have been placed in a similar position--potentially including Petunia.

I am fairly sure i have read a quote that states all of Harry's grandparents died of natural causes, I cant rember where now but i think it was the leaky/mugglenet interview or her websit.

That doesnt mean petunia doesnt blame Lilly for not being able to save them though.


__________________


Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
  #374  
Old August 9th, 2007, 1:45 am
uptownsquirrel  Female.gif uptownsquirrel is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4132 days
Posts: 15
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownsquirrel View Post
Well I read an editorial (I did not write that editorial. I just agree with it.) where Petunia actually liked her sister Lily and was interested in the wizarding world. However, their relationship worsened when James Potter came into the picture. So I believe that Petunia's secret is that she actually liked her sister and knows more than she appears to know about the wizarding world.
That person who wrote the editorial was mostly right.


__________________
Monkeys eat bananas which grow on trees. Cherries also grow on trees. George Washington cut down a cherry tree. Therefore, George Washington was a monkey.
  #375  
Old August 11th, 2007, 3:36 am
muggleborn168  Female.gif muggleborn168 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 4095 days
Location: Somewhere you don't know
Posts: 83
Re: What will we learn about Petunia in Deathly Hallows? v.2

LOL, before I saw this thread, I accuatly thought that Petunia was a squib But there's something fishy about her....


__________________

EVERYBODY:VOTE FOR LUNA/DOBBY HERE!
Come on...you know you wanna! Gurdyroots, Nargles, Funny sock day! You know you wanna! Vote Luna/Dobby!
Luna/Dobby's Spotlight Thread: Socks+Serenity!!!
(sig pic made by Rell)
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:48 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright its respective owners.