Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake

Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux

Old July 11th, 2007, 12:08 am
Sixth Year

Re: Underground Lake #41: Attack of the Dueling Book Covers Again - The Redux

I wish he had addressed the UK adult versions and the US special editions ones. I mean, whats up with that dragon?

Old July 11th, 2007, 1:50 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally posted by rhhgrt: I wish he had addressed the UK adult versions and the US special editions ones. I mean, whats up with that dragon?
I've noticed that too! I think it's very important since it is on the deluxe version. I hope it's Norbert. And the two people on the back of the dragon? I think it could be Harry and someone else, I'm not exactly sure...

And Brandon, I was hoping that you could enlighten us more about the back of the US edition of OotP! Near the top of the back cover there's an open door with someone in the doorway because you can see the shadow. Also, above Lupin, there's a face that looks to me like Sirius, but it could also be his mother. And what are Moody, Lupin, and Tonks looking at beyond? Could they be in 12 Grimmauld Place or the Department of Mysteries?

Much love to all of you!!!
Old July 11th, 2007, 4:15 am
First Year

A theory I like is that Harry is wearing the last Horcrux around his neck. So Voldemort won't dare fire an Avada Kedavra at him.

Also, I'd love it if the unidentified castle were Durmstrang. I can just see Krum at Fleur's wedding. The trio brings up the subject of Horcruxes. "I know nothing of Horcruxes," Krum says. "I never even went into the Horcrux section of the Durmstrang library."

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:46 am
First Year

By the way the man on the back of the British cover of Book one is a YOUNG DUMBLEDORE!
They have change this for the second edition of book one which has Dumbledore the correct age!

Old July 11th, 2007, 1:25 pm
First Year

Ooh, I really enjoyed reading this editorial!

A few points which you were unsure about:

There has been a lot of debate between British readers concerning the identity of the goatee-d man on the back of Philosopher's Stone and my personal opinion is that it is Nicholas Flamel, since the man's appearance matches that of no one in the books but Flamel is a significant characters who is never described. It's also interesting to note that on later editions of that book, the man on the back is replaced by a picture of Dumbledore.

And also, on the back of the UK edition of Goblet of Fire, I was under the inpression that it was the Entrance Hall's marble staircase, with Pigwideon perched on the banister, as he does in the book when he's delivering a letter to Ron.

I find it slightly annoying that sometimes pictures in the 'spine power position' sometimes hold significance and sometimes do not. I mean, there's Flamel (possibly), the Grim/Sirius, a phoenix feather and the ring Horcrux. But then there's also Hedwig and Pig.

[What would Dumbledore do?]

ACCIO HAGRID!
Old July 11th, 2007, 3:23 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLuna View Post
Just a few little comments: on the US GoF cover, the "head of a strange creature that could be the head of the dragon though it looks more like Dragonite from Pokemon, than a Hungarian Horntail" could be a Blast-Ended Skrewt. Also, the stairway on the UK GoF cover could represent the Yule Ball. Not that it really matters what these things are anyway.

I've heard the Skrewt theory several times but I have to disagree on it. Skrewt's were basically described as scorpions, and that looks nothing like a scorpion. Granted it doesn't resemble any real beetle I've ever seen, but the curled antenna, round head and wing-like extensions make it pretty apparent that it's meant to be a beetle. Most people I believe view it backwards, thinking the pointy part on the bottom right to be a set of pinchers, when in fact that is the rear of the animal in question.

Old July 12th, 2007, 1:31 am
Second Year

Good editorial. Got me thinking big time.

Last edited by squibpott; July 12th, 2007 at 1:54 am.
Old July 12th, 2007, 6:38 am
First Year

The symbol on the UK bookspine, the Wombat, and Bloomsbury website show that it is indeed significant. As you enter the Bloomsbury website, the septology symbol is engraved in some sort of stone. (Dumbledore's tomb, pyramid, etc? Sure looks like Rowling wants us to get this.

We know from early interviews with Rowling that she studied alchemy extensively. Alchemy was and is studied on many levels: as religious pursuits, philosophical, literary, geometrically, and chemically to construct the philosopher's stone. The UK book 1 name is The Philisophers Stone. She has given many hints. Isn't Harry in pursuit of the stone? A seeker? In ancient alchemy text, the philosopher's stone was sometimes depicted as a golden globe with WINGS, like the snitch. I am astounded at how rich Rowling's imagery is. We could drown in it. (I realize that I may be way of the trail and overanalyzing)
The four elements of alchemy are:
1. oneness "as above, so below" (the material world and the spiritual)
2. duality (dark/light; ying/yang; male/female; good/evil) Think of the snake in a continuous circle with its own tail in mouth. This is called the ouroboros.
3. Triangle/trinity: body, soul (spirit), and mind
4. The 4 elements: fire, air, earth, and water

The ancient scetches and diagrams are coincidentally like Rowlings. Or are they? Rowling's does not have the inner square and outer big circle. In She also has the line up the middle. Perhaps that represents the duality/male and female or evil/goodness.

One journeys through stages, much like metals would have to be put in a crucible to remove the impurities. It is very involved, but stated simply, an alchemist has made the philosphers stone after ridding self of impurities and false ideas: when one has obtained perfect harmony/enlightenment with God or the spiritual realm. The steps in alchemy are basically the same across different ancient civilizations and cultures, with different names and spins. Sumaria, Greece, and Egyps (see the Emerald Tablet).
Back to the symbol. Rowling's symbol only has certain elements of the philosopher's stone symbol.

The easiest explanation with diagrams is at Claud Furstner's Philosophers Stone webpage. You may go there to view diagram symbols with explanations. (philospher's stone and the secret of its geometry)

Is the symbol on the tomb of Albus Dumbledore? Was he an alchemist like his friend Flamel and found out the secret of the philosophers stone?
We will see on the 21st!

Old July 12th, 2007, 9:51 am
First Year

good editorial...nice to actually show the covers.
I was surprised (and a bit sad) that you didn't show the grownups version of the books. I am sure that meanings and hints could be gained from careful observation of those, as well.
Thanks again!

Old August 17th, 2007, 10:32 am
First Year

There has been a lot of debate between British readers concerning the identity of the goatee-d man on the back of Philosopher's Stone and my personal opinion is that it is Nicholas Flamel, since the man's appearance matches that of no one in the books but Flamel is a significant characters who is never described. It's also interesting to note that on later editions of that book, the man on the back is replaced by a picture of Dumbledore.

Yes! I'm sure it is Nicholas Flamel because you can see the stone in his pocket, which is why he looks young, I mean why would they have a young dumbledore or a random dude? Could be though i spose hehe.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > MuggleNet Editorials > General Editorial > The Underground Lake