Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies

Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

Old May 8th, 2007, 12:44 pm
Mrs Grawp

Re: Hufflepuff House : Group Character Analysis

We have a new confirmed Hufflepuff character

Auror, order member, metamorphmagus, part of the Black family, Remus' girlfriend Nymphadora Tonks

JKR website FAQ
What houses were Tonks and Myrtle in?
Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw respectively.

Which proves again that bravery is not an exclusive Gryffindor thing, nor is intelligence a Ravenclaw thing. Tonks had top grades, in fact was the most brilliant Hogwarts graduate in the past 3 years (nobody else was taken for Auror training). She is very brave, an Order Member and a very gifted witch.

guads random creative moments: Fanart and Fanfiction

Support the True Heroes! Joins Squiddies Army!

BAS DÖSE! More META L than EVER!
Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Third Year

^Go Tonks,
Yes, and the Hufflepuff Traits do fit her nicely.

Loyalty: She is loyal to Dumbeldore and Remus,
Patient: She waited for Remus - actually she had to nudge - alot
Hardworking: She worked hard in Auror training and didnt' give up when she was have trouble with the stealth part.

Me and a good friend of mine have been working on a story: to read and review go here: http://miutwilightmizuki.tripod.com ~Thanks
Old May 12th, 2007, 1:47 am
Second Year

Loyal, Patient and Hardworking, is an excellent qualities for a person and of course a house like hufflepuff

Old May 12th, 2007, 8:58 pm
Second Year

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?

From what I think, most Hufflepuffs seem to be hardworking and loyal.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?

It could be, but I doubt it, because that would be sort of unfair. Plus, that house would be packed. No, I think each and every student fits into a house.

What Hufflepuffs do you think will be key players in the last book?

Tonks, maybe Cho, Ernie, Hannah, Justin, and any others that I missed that were loyal members of the DA.

What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff?

I think you work the Earth, and Hufflepuffs are hard workers, and reap the benefits.

Old May 12th, 2007, 9:09 pm
First Year

Quote:

Tonks, maybe Cho, Ernie, Hannah, Justin, and any others that I missed that were loyal members of the DA.
Cho's not in Hufflepuff.

-I'm glad that Tonks is a Hufflepuff, and she does fit into it. Obviously Hufflepuff aren;t just "left overs" from other houses, look at Cedric, he was smart enough to go through the triwizard trournament (though he had help from impostor Moody and harry). He was also a prefect...and I can't remember whether he was Head Boy or not. But..yeah. GO HUFFLEPUFFS!

Old May 13th, 2007, 4:21 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

I am still hopeful that Susan Bones might have some role to play in Deathly Hallows, although I guess she was more someone to show that Harry wasn't the only one losing family members. But I always liked her.

I think Tonks and maybe one student are going to play a role. There is still that little item of the Hufflepuff cup that could get a student involved with the horcrux plot.

Well I don't know about Earth, although you could say that at least one person is daily extremely busy with earth and everything that grows in it, Professor Sprout. I don't know what real reason it could have.

Badgers are very sociable animals, that live in close knit family groups, which is something that makes sense for Hufflepuff because the students seem to be very close with each other.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old May 17th, 2007, 3:30 am
Sirius' Girl

Of the Eurasian badger, the following info about its defense seemed enlightening:
Quote:
In most cases, the badger's first reaction to danger will be to turn and run, dashing down into the nearest sett entrance if there is one nearby.

As for the badger's reaction if cornered, our knowledge of this sadly derives mostly from accounts of badger baiting sessions, when these unfortunate animals are pitted aginst a succession of dogs. The tactics used in defence probably depend on the nature of the individual badger: some are more aggressive than others. Some badgers will tuck their heads between their forelegs and rely on their thick fur and tough skin to provide protection from the bites of their attacker(s). Most will also raise their heads from time to time, bringing their teeth into use: the Eurasian badger has powerful jaws, and can use them to devastating effect if necessary.
--http://www.badgers.org.uk/badgerpage...badger-08.html
I can see how the tendency of the Eurasian badger to avoid a fight first, and then rely on menacing noises and tough hide if that should fail, might also be true of Hufflepuffs. I was surprised, because I always associated badgers with lone creatures -- vicious fighters -- but that seems to be the case with those found in North America more than those found in Britain. In fact, those in Britain also seem to work better as a group, and this was also something I found surprising. It seems to make more sense to me, now...

Old June 5th, 2007, 6:56 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff?
I actually think the sorting hat chooses the house according to what qualities you value regardless of whether you have those qualities (But if you value them you will generally display them)
The qualities of Hufflepuff are fairness, loyalty and hardwork.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house?
No I don't think that it is the *leftover* house at all. Those people who really don't want to go into Hufflepuff are those who do not value it's ethos. Any student that sits there thinking "Not Hufflepuff" is not going to go into that house.
I think the way the sorting hat works you go into the house whose values most closely match your own. There is no *leftover* house. For example Cedric may seem braver than Neville or Seamus, but as he values fair play above bravery then he belongs in Hufflepuff.

I think Tonks is going to be a key player. I am so glad she was revealed to be a Hufflepuff. Her determination to stand by Lupin in HBP I think is a very typical Hufflepuff trait.

What are some of the decisions that students from other houses have made that Hufflepuffs would decide differently?

I think most of the things Harry does a Hufflepuff would do differently They are not blinded by ambition or a determination not to give in as Slytherin and Gryffindor (respectively) students might be.

I've read some interesting stuff in previous posts. Most particularly when Guad I think it was poated something about the Badger being a symbol of healers. I was like because I created a character in my fanfic who is a Hufflepuff and she is a healer.

What is the significance of JKR splitting the students into classes and why did she make Hufflepuff House from a literary perspective?

I think it is to show that ambition and cunning, courage and bravery, wit and learning are not everything. You need people who are loyal fair and prepared to work hard. Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Even if everyone hates him for it, that's the sacrifice he's making. He's not being the hero. He's being something more.

He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.

Pottermore name: FlightMoonstone199

On CoS I'm in On Pottermore I'm in Maple and Unicorn, Thirteen and Three Quarter inches, Pliant

My Fanfic - Snape's Happy Ending

Avatar by Ben when he was 5- he's now 13!
Old June 7th, 2007, 10:16 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Cedric was serious. He was walking away from the sort of glory Hufflepuff house hadn't had in centuries.
This quote to me has always exemplified Hufflepuff house more than any other quote in the series. It's very telling, especially because we get to see it from Harry's perspective. Harry, a "true Gryffindor" is actually amazed that Cedric would turn down the cup. We can deduce from this comment that if Harry had been the one standing there first, he would have taken the cup. And that's really the crux of the difference between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff: Harry clearly values glory and honor, which is a viewpoint taken by most of the wizarding world and the whole reason for the tournament. However, for Cedric, winning means far less than being fair. The reward becomes meaningless to Cedric if it doesn't represent fairness. For Harry it represents glory and fame, triumph. The cup is sort of a metaphor for what most drives the character of each of the two houses.

In fact, I think this is why Hufflepuff has not had "glory" in centuries. They don't win things like examinations and tournaments and sports games unless these endeavors are based on fair principles. The fact that Harry lives in a world where Hufflepuff does not achieve "glory" suggests to me that Harry's world is very unfair indeed. And we must admit that the difference between Slytherin and Gryffindor is not that Gryffindor won't cheat, no quite the contrary, Gryffindor house has few qualms with "bending the rules". True Hufflepuffs would never cheat, and therefore in a world full of cheating, would never win. If the tournament were fair and therefore Harry was not in it, Cedric would have won. Voldemort's presence in the wizarding world tends to corrupt, which is why Hufflepuff gets such a bad rap: Fairness is simply an underrated quality in Harry's time. Cedric's completely unfair death at the hands of the champion of unfair Slytherin values really sort of symbolizes the corruption of the world, and the death would not have been as meaningful if Cedric had not been a Hufflepuff I think.

Hufflepuff I think is a very important house and in some senses even more the opposite of Slytherin than Gryffindor is. Hufflepuffs thrive in a fair and honest world. I hope to see the wizarding world become more in line with the Hufflepuff ideal in Deathly Hallows, and I think the house will indeed have its part to play. As I think one character mentioned somewhere (though I've lost the quote) Hufflepuffs are just the type the ministry needs. I agree: Hufflepuffs are the judges and the rule makers, the listeners and the balancers. The more Hufflepuffs in charge of things, the better for all the houses. And Gryffindor is just the house to go out and fight for their Hufflepuff friends to get their fair and honest world.

Yay Hufflepuff! My favorite house in the series, as to me it's always symbolized egalitarian values and a sort of "democracy."

Last edited by oneinhufflepuff; June 7th, 2007 at 10:36 pm.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:08 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneinhufflepuff View Post
This quote to me has always exemplified Hufflepuff house more than any other quote in the series. It's very telling, especially because we get to see it from Harry's perspective. Harry, a "true Gryffindor" is actually amazed that Cedric would turn down the cup. We can deduce from this comment that if Harry had been the one standing there first, he would have taken the cup. And that's really the crux of the difference between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff: Harry clearly values glory and honor, which is a viewpoint taken by most of the wizarding world and the whole reason for the tournament. However, for Cedric, winning means far less than being fair. The reward becomes meaningless to Cedric if it doesn't represent fairness. For Harry it represents glory and fame, triumph. The cup is sort of a metaphor for what most drives the character of each of the two houses.

In fact, I think this is why Hufflepuff has not had "glory" in centuries. They don't win things like examinations and tournaments and sports games unless these endeavors are based on fair principles. The fact that Harry lives in a world where Hufflepuff does not achieve "glory" suggests to me that Harry's world is very unfair indeed. And we must admit that the difference between Slytherin and Gryffindor is not that Gryffindor won't cheat, no quite the contrary, Gryffindor house has few qualms with "bending the rules". True Hufflepuffs would never cheat, and therefore in a world full of cheating, would never win. If the tournament were fair and therefore Harry was not in it, Cedric would have won. Voldemort's presence in the wizarding world tends to corrupt, which is why Hufflepuff gets such a bad rap: Fairness is simply an underrated quality in Harry's time. Cedric's completely unfair death at the hands of the champion of unfair Slytherin values really sort of symbolizes the corruption of the world, and the death would not have been as meaningful if Cedric had not been a Hufflepuff I think.

Hufflepuff I think is a very important house and in some senses even more the opposite of Slytherin than Gryffindor is. Hufflepuffs thrive in a fair and honest world. I hope to see the wizarding world become more in line with the Hufflepuff ideal in Deathly Hallows, and I think the house will indeed have its part to play. As I think one character mentioned somewhere (though I've lost the quote) Hufflepuffs are just the type the ministry needs. I agree: Hufflepuffs are the judges and the rule makers, the listeners and the balancers. The more Hufflepuffs in charge of things, the better for all the houses. And Gryffindor is just the house to go out and fight for their Hufflepuff friends to get their fair and honest world.

Yay Hufflepuff! My favorite house in the series, as to me it's always symbolized egalitarian values and a sort of "democracy."
I love Hufflepuff House too. Simply because one does not achieve fame and fortune, does not mean they are any less intelligent or have less potential. However, there is no evidence to suggest that Harry wouldn't have done the exact same noble thing as Cedric and not take the Cup. Harry probably values fairness as much as anyone, bcause that he suffered unjustly in his childhood, understanding and believing in equality.

Just as Peter Pettigrew can be in Gryffindor, so could many Hufflepuffs differ greatly from Cedric. Ernie for example was very petty and immature when he believed Harry could be the heir to Slytherin and Justin is lovable, but very pompous. Hufflepuff may have great members like Tonks, but not all will exemplify her (and Cedric's) values, respectively. The wizarding world needs the Hufflepuffs, but they would be stuck without the efforts of the (mainly) Gryffindors who actually make sure evil is punished.

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.

Emma Watson

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old June 8th, 2007, 12:38 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Shaw View Post
I love Hufflepuff House too. Simply because one does not achieve fame and fortune, does not mean they are any less intelligent or have less potential. However, there is no evidence to suggest that Harry wouldn't have done the exact same noble thing as Cedric and not take the Cup. Harry probably values fairness as much as anyone, bcause that he suffered unjustly in his childhood, understanding and believing in equality.

Just as Peter Pettigrew can be in Gryffindor, so could many Hufflepuffs differ greatly from Cedric. Ernie for example was very petty and immature when he believed Harry could be the heir to Slytherin and Justin is lovable, but very pompous. Hufflepuff may have great members like Tonks, but not all will exemplify her (and Cedric's) values, respectively. The wizarding world needs the Hufflepuffs, but they would be stuck without the efforts of the (mainly) Gryffindors who actually make sure evil is punished.

Your post brings up an interesting point-that the wizarding world needs Gryffindors AND Hufflepuffs, and I definitely agree! I hope you didn't get the wrong message from my post. I think the sorting hat's little song about uniting the houses wasn't just written in for no reason, and that all four houses will definitely have to come together in the end as equals. Just because I like Hufflepuff the best doesn't mean that I think they'd be better off without the other houses, but I do think they are underepresented in the themes of the books so far, and that a major plot point waiting to be resolved is how Harry's world is very unfair. I agree with you that I see Gryffindors as the rightous champion types.They all have a role to play, certainly. I do really think that the wizarding world is probably most closely allied with the ideology of Slytherin at the moment thanks to Voldemort's influence, and that in Deathly Hallows the Hufflepuff fair play and Gryffindor bravery will prevail. But I still think Harry would have taken the cup, as there isn't any concrete evidence either way we may have to agree to disagree. I'm just basing that judgement on how shocked Harry is to think that Cedric wouldn't take the cup. IE he wouldn't be shocked if it were something natural to Harry that he would think of doing himself. I certainly don't mean to say Harry is a bad person as he would think that it was fair to take the cup (as he thinks it's fair for Cedric to take the cup) but that's just how I see him reacting. Whereas Cedric really wants to think deeply about the fairness of it all, even if Harry tells him to take the cup.

Last edited by oneinhufflepuff; June 8th, 2007 at 12:41 am.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:00 pm
First Year

Some questions to start the discussion:

Is there a predominant quality that a Hufflepuff must have in order to be a Hufflepuff? I jokingly call Hufflepuff the "stoner house," but I think that the predominant quality is tolerance. They are tolerant enough to accept most people, unlike Gryffindor or Slytherin, who are prejudiced simply because they always have been. Even going back to the founders, Salazar and Godric. Hufflepuff's want people to get along and accept eachother, which will be important in winning the war against Voldemort. Other traits to a lesser extent are hard work, loyalty, and kindness.

Hufflepuff House seems to be the collection house for those that don't fit in the other houses, is this the case? Could it be a collection of students who don't fit in the other houses plus those specifically chosen for Hufflepuff house? Maybe. From Harry's perspective in the books, we always get the idea that Hufflepuff's are a bunch of leftovers who weren't brilliant enough for Ravenclaw, brave enough for Gryffindor, or cunning for Slytherin. It could be. Even the sorting hat says something to the effect of Helga Hufflepuff taking the rest. Helga Hufflepuff was also a brilliant witch though, so that has to mean something. Perhaps - like the students of her house - she is other things - brilliant - but she favored other things - tolerance, loyalty, and hardwork.

What Hufflepuffs do you think will be key players in the last book? Unfortunately they haven't had much of a role thus far. It's a pity, considering I've always thought of them as the activist-social-justice types, who could contribute to the war against Voldemort. But probably just the usual ones; Ernie Macmillian, Hannah Abbot, Tonks, etc.

What are the significance of Earth and the Badger to Hufflepuff? Hufflepuff's are definitely the most down-to-earth, and the badger works hard in the earth.

Old August 14th, 2007, 4:39 am
First Year

Some questions to start the discussion:

Quote:
Ravenclaw has brains, Gryffindor has guts, Slytherin has a big mouth (they are mostly all talk and what they say is dishonest, hurtful or for personal gain), but Hufflepuff has heart.

I would hate to think of Hufflepuff as a “stoner house” – yet with the “puff” mentioned in the name and the Head of the House is an “herbalist” and the underachiever misconception, I can see it.

However, though I do not think drugs are a major factor in the Wizarding world (who needs drugs when you can do magic?), you could think of Hufflepuff as the “hippie”/”crunchy” house. Very down to earth. They are the most “natural” of houses.

Where as Ravenclaw is looking for old magic, Slytherin and Gryffindor look for powerful magic, Hufflepuffs look for “natural magic.” Perhaps the druids of old were Hufflepuffs (and where Professor Sprout gets her herbalist skills.)

I have said this on another post, but it is worthy to say here, the Hufflepuffs could be the most spiritual of houses. After all their ghost is the “fat friar” and “Helga,” their house founder means “holy” (as cited on Wikipedia which was citing from a dictionary of names).

Perhaps this is where they get a "first shall be last" type philosophy.

I think it is unfair to think that they would go along with authority just because they follow the rules. There is a philosophy of law which says that if a law is not just, then it was never a law to begin with. Even in our own society, you can break a law if it means a great crime is averted. That's justice.

I think they would just pick a different path to fight in justice. I think they could use their sense of hard work to pass out pamphlets and flyers. They would lobby to get things changed.

Quote:
A sense of fairness prohibits me from answering as I have read the last book.

Quote:
I haven’t read this anywhere (so let me know if I am the first here) but has anyone suggested the connection to the Badger in “The Wind and The Willows?” It seems so obvious, someone MUST have thought of it before.

I pulled this section off the web

=========================

From the chapter in The Wind and the Willows Chapter 4 - Mr. Badger

Quote:
`Now, the very next time this happens,' said a gruff and suspicious voice, `I shall be exceedingly angry. Who is it this time, disturbing people on such a night? Speak up!'

`Oh, Badger,' cried the Rat, `let us in, please.

'It's me, Rat, and my friend Mole, and we've lost our way in the snow.'

`What, Ratty, my dear little man!' exclaimed the Badger, in quite a different voice. `Come along in, both of you, at once. Why, you must be perished. Well I never! Lost in the snow! And in the Wild Wood, too, and at this time of night! But come in with you.'

The two animals tumbled over each other in their eagerness to get inside, and heard the door shut behind them with great joy and relief.

The Badger, who wore a long dressing-gown, and whose slippers were indeed very down at heel, carried a flat candlestick in his paw and had probably been on his way to bed when their summons sounded. He looked kindly down on them and patted both their heads. `This is not the sort of night for small animals to be out,' he said paternally. `I'm afraid you've been up to some of your pranks again, Ratty. But come along; come into the kitchen. There's a first-rate fire there, and supper and everything.'

He shuffled on in front of them, carrying the light, and they followed him, nudging each other in an anticipating sort of way, down a long, gloomy, and, to tell the truth, decidedly shabby passage, into a sort of a central hall; out of which they could dimly see other long tunnel-like passages branching, passages mysterious and without apparent end. But there were doors in the hall as well -- stout oaken comfortable-looking doors. One of these the Badger flung open, and at once they found themselves in all the glow and warmth of a large fire-lit kitchen.
==============================================

Sure, he’s grumpy at first (who isn’t especially when you don’t know who is outside your door in the middle of the night). Yet when it is a friend, he invites them in immediately and where do they go? Right to the kitchen!

J. K. Rowling was a school teacher.I am certain an English classic like The Wind and the Willows could have escaped her mind when she picked the badger as Hufflepuff’s mascot.

Perhaps too there is a glimpse of the Hufflepuff common room in that chapter as well!

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:30 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble_Badger View Post
I haven’t read this anywhere (so let me know if I am the first here) but has anyone suggested the connection to the Badger in “The Wind and The Willows?” It seems so obvious, someone MUST have thought of it before.

I pulled this section off the web

=========================

From the chapter in The Wind and the Willows Chapter 4 - Mr. Badger

==============================================

Sure, he’s grumpy at first (who isn’t especially when you don’t know who is outside your door in the middle of the night). Yet when it is a friend, he invites them in immediately and where do they go? Right to the kitchen!

J. K. Rowling was a school teacher.I am certain an English classic like The Wind and the Willows could have escaped her mind when she picked the badger as Hufflepuff’s mascot.

Perhaps too there is a glimpse of the Hufflepuff common room in that chapter as well!
That's a great find! It's very possible that JKR thought about the Wind in the Willows when she created Hufflepuff.

Badger is in a sense quite like Cedric Diggory, who was a nice person and a good leader. Although they are quite different too.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Legilimency Studies