Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

Why does everyone act like they didn't know Sirius?

Old August 19th, 2007, 4:12 am
First Year

Why does everyone act like they didn't know Sirius?

I looked through a lot of threads to make sure I wasn't putting a repeat out there but if I did please forgive me...I have been mulling this over in my head for quite some time now and I still can't figure it out!

In the POA when Sirius has escaped from Azkaban many of the people close to Harry (ie. mainly Order Members) are terrified. They behave almost as they do with Lord Voldemort, but weren't they all friends?

I mean as far as I can gather Molly Weasley was Sirius' second cousin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
Orion (Sirius's father) Had a sister who married Ignatius Prewett (Molly Weasley was Molly Prewett so they are presumably related somewhere).
They probably would have known eachother their whole lives, ecspecially as it was so important to the Blacks to keep close ties to other pureblood lines such as the Prewetts.

And what about Hagrid... in SS/PS when he arrives on Privet Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS, pg. 14
"Hagrid," said Dumbledore, sounding relieved. "At last. And where did you get that motorcycle?" "Borrowed it, Professor Dumbledore, sir," said the gaint, climbing carefully off the motorcycle as he spoke. "Young Sirius Black lent it to me. I've got him, sir."
If Sirius was suspected of betraying the Potters why would Hagrid have even spoken to him, let alone borrowed his bike?

It is explained that Sirius was thrown into prison after killing a number of people including Peter Pettigrew. How long after LV disappeared did this occur? Had Sirius been in hiding the whole time? Had he not had contact with anyone? Clearly he would not have found safe harbor with his family, and with everyone in the Order acting as if they never even knew him...where was he?

Ok, so basically what I want to know is...how long after LV's fall did Sirius supposedly attack those people? And why do all the people who had called him a friend act as though they never even knew him, that he is more of a rumor, someone they knew of but never met personally when they clearly had?

Alright let me hear your thoughts! Thanks.

"I'd like you to have something to remember me by, you know,
if you meet some veela when you're off doing whatever you're doing."
"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."
"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him...

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2007, 4:16 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Why does everyone act like they didn't know Sirius?

As for Hagrid, perhaps he still didn't know of Sirius's supposed treason.

About why people act as though they didn't know him... Well, suppose you know (or think to know) someone very well, that you're bosom friends. And that that person suddenly commits a mass-murder, and you find out he's a member of a terrorist group, for instance. Would you be eager to tell people you were a friend of him, that he dined at your home every week, or that you went on holidays together?

Many people would be afraid of being thought supporters; and in any case, nobody likes to confess they've been so blind about someone they know

Old August 19th, 2007, 5:38 pm
First Year

Hagrid didn't know, at first, that Sirius was blamed for the murders of Harry's parents, which is probably why he was talking to him.

As for the members of the order pretending not to know him, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they all believed it was him that had done it. Until he returned and told the truth. (I haven't read the third book in a while) Everyone believed Pettigrew was dead, because no one but Moony, Padfoot and Prongs knew he was an animagus. Prongs is dead, Padfoot was in prison, and Moony was hardly trusted with information, being a werewolf. Therefore the only one able to commit all those murders was Sirius, which is why he was wrongfully blamed for it.

Or Dumbledore could have told the order not to say anything to Harry, believing he would find out for himself at some point. Dumbledore always wanted Harry to find out information for himself.

What will happen and who will win?
The future's in your hands so let the magic begin!
Come to Morsmordre and choose a side
Voldy or Potty? It's for you to decide.
Old August 19th, 2007, 6:16 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyWPotter View Post
I looked through a lot of threads to make sure I wasn't putting a repeat out there but if I did please forgive me...I have been mulling this over in my head for quite some time now and I still can't figure it out!

In the POA when Sirius has escaped from Azkaban many of the people close to Harry (ie. mainly Order Members) are terrified. They behave almost as they do with Lord Voldemort, but weren't they all friends?
Like the other posters have said, everyone believed Sirius was working for Voldemort. When he escapes from prision, nobody is going to stand up for him, even if they knew him before. They thought he commited a terrible crime. They're afraid for Harry too.

Quote:
And what about Hagrid... in SS/PS when he arrives on Privet Drive If Sirius was suspected of betraying the Potters why would Hagrid have even spoken to him, let alone borrowed his bike?
Hagrid went to Godric's Hallow to get Harry. Sirius shows up and wanted to take Harry because he was his godfather. Hagrid told him about Dumbledore's order, Harry was go with his aunt and uncle. Sirius lends Hagrid his motorbike to take Harry to Privet Drive.
Hadgrid, at this point, had no idea who was the supposed secret-keeper. (This is from pg 206 US hardcover of PoA)

Quote:
It is explained that Sirius was thrown into prison after killing a number of people including Peter Pettigrew. How long after LV disappeared did this occur? Had Sirius been in hiding the whole time? Had he not had contact with anyone? Clearly he would not have found safe harbor with his family, and with everyone in the Order acting as if they never even knew him...where was he?
I believe this happened the very next day after the Potters were killed. Sirius, acting rashly, decided to go confront Peter himself. Nobody knew James and Lily really made Peter the secret keeper, not even Dumbledore. The Potter are dead and everyone is going to blame Sirius. Sirius never got a trial, he never had the time to explain what really happened.

Last edited by snapegirl; August 19th, 2007 at 6:30 pm.
Old August 19th, 2007, 8:35 pm
Third Year

Yeah, i think everyone thought that Sirius was Voldemort's man when he escaped Azakaban, so better keep it quiet for Harry, I mean his actual Godfather betraying his parents and walking them to his death?

Old August 20th, 2007, 3:47 am
First Year

well I mean, would you openly say that you knew a mass murderer if he used to be your friend??? I personally wouldnt brag on it too much

Old August 20th, 2007, 4:25 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
Well, suppose you know (or think to know) someone very well, that you're bosom friends. And that that person suddenly commits a mass-murder, and you find out he's a member of a terrorist group, for instance. Would you be eager to tell people you were a friend of him, that he dined at your home every week, or that you went on holidays together?

Many people would be afraid of being thought supporters; and in any case, nobody likes to confess they've been so blind about someone they know
Unfortunately I inherited my mothers gossiping gene so I probably wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut about it. I would have gabbed it all about like a silly louse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapegirl77 View Post
Hagrid went to Godric's Hallow to get Harry. Sirius shows up and wanted to take Harry because he was his godfather. Hagrid told him about Dumbledore's order, Harry was go with his aunt and uncle. Sirius lends Hagrid his motorbike to take Harry to Privet Drive.
Hadgrid, at this point, had no idea who was the supposed secret-keeper. (This is from pg 206 US hardcover of PoA)
Yes...I had read that but still Sirius obviously is a more powerful and knowledgeable wizard then Hagrid, if Sirius had been working for the LV he probably wouldn't have taken no for an answer when he went to retrieve Harry for the house at Godric's Hallow. I would think?

Quote:
Yes...I had read that but still Sirius obviously is a more powerful and knowledgeable wizard then Hagrid, if Sirius had been working for the LV he probably wouldn't have taken no for an answer when he went to retrieve Harry for the house at Godric's Hallow. I would think?

"I think dating opportunities are going to be pretty thin on the ground, to be honest."
"There's the silver lining I've been looking for," she whispered, and then she was kissing him...

Last edited by GinnyWPotter; August 20th, 2007 at 4:30 am.
Old August 20th, 2007, 6:18 am
The Next Great Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
well I mean, would you openly say that you knew a mass murderer if he used to be your friend??? I personally wouldnt brag on it too much
Not a friend, true. But I used to live around the corner from a serial killer.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:21 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Not a friend, true. But I used to live around the corner from a serial killer.

My point exactly! Maybe they were simply too broken up about it to mention anything but they act as though Sirius was a raving lunatic much like his cousin Bellatrix. It's like the Sirius we knew and the one from before were different people.

Old August 21st, 2007, 1:53 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
My point exactly! Maybe they were simply too broken up about it to mention anything but they act as though Sirius was a raving lunatic much like his cousin Bellatrix. It's like the Sirius we knew and the one from before were different people.
Fudge said Sirius was laughing like a maniac after he was arrested for killing the muggles and Peter. That's not the way an innocent, framed man would usually act.
People were afraid of him. They felt betrayed by Sirius. They didn't go around talking about him much, but they talk about him enough that Harry learns about what he was suppose to do.

Quote:
This all happened very fast and Sirius never got a trial. I don't think Sirius not attacking Hagrid is a good enough reason for everyone assume that he's innocent. Especially when he "attacked" Peter the very next day.

Old August 21st, 2007, 1:56 am
Defender of Dogs

The Weasleys acted like they didn't know him because they weren't in the Order last time, I believe.

Last edited by DeathlyH; October 19th, 2007 at 12:10 am.
Old August 21st, 2007, 2:54 am
First Year

Quote:
Fudge said Sirius was laughing like a maniac after he was arrested for killing the muggles and Peter. Harry learns about what he was suppose to do.

And since when do we have any reason to trust what Fudge says? Frankly that man is worthless!

Old August 21st, 2007, 6:26 am
Seventh Year

Just because they were related in some way doesn’t many they were close. Molly and Sirius would have been 1st cousin in laws, since according to the black family Tree Orion’s sister married Molly’s Uncle. You also take in to fact Molly is much older then Sirius was. She and Arthur were probably in their 50’s during the series. While Sirius was about 33 or 34 when we met him in POA. Though Arthur was a blood 2nd cousin I doubt Mrs. Black invited the Weaslys over for a family meal.

From POA we get that only some people knew that ‘Sirius’ was the Potters secret keeper. By Hagrid’s outburst in that book we know that prior to POA he had no idea. It seems doubtfully that despite his [Sirius] connection to Molly and Arthur that they didn’t know him that well at all and after what he “did” they wouldn’t be bragging that they are related to him. Hagrid probably knew him a bit better being they were both in the Order together and Hagird was game keepers when Sirius was at Hogwarts. If I recall Jo said Sirius was arrested November 1st so he went after Peter probably with in hours of the Potters death.

Lets face it due to Sirius family, he had close blood relation who were or had been Deatheaters. It’s not surprising that people would think that he had finale crossed over or that he had just been lying low to make his move.

Old August 21st, 2007, 2:33 pm
Dr Mrs The Monarch

Quote:
And since when do we have any reason to trust what Fudge says? Frankly that man is worthless!
During PoA, I think it's reasonable it trust what Fudge says. Remember, Sirius got arrested well before Fudge became Minister.
It wasn't until the end of GoF when Fudge started acting paranoid and doubting what Dumbledore was telling him.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 1:05 am
First Year

Quote:
During PoA, I think it's reasonable it trust what Fudge says. Remember, Sirius got arrested well before Fudge became Minister.
It wasn't until the end of GoF when Fudge started acting paranoid and doubting what Dumbledore was telling him.
Maybe it is just me but I never liked Fudge.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives