Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies

What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Old May 25th, 2007, 4:53 pm
Second Year

Re: What is the link between Snape and Narcissa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancila View Post
I am not sure why Snape had any incentive to make an unbreakable vow with Narcissa but I do not think that it is because Snape was trying to protect Draco from Lord Voldemort because Snape and/or Draco is on the side of good. However, he did not kill Harry at the end of HBP because Harry is to be left to Voldemort.
I agree, I do believe Snape was protecting Draco, but I believe he did not kill Harry, because he did not want Harry dead. He may hate Harry for who he is, but he also knows Harry has a destiny (not because of the prophecy) that he wants Harry to fulfill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancila View Post
I did some reading in the thread "Snape the Obsure" and I think I found my answer for what was the motivating factor for Snape. One poster stated that Snape is a ambigious character in that he can act either for good or bad but ultimately is acting for self preservation. Another poster stated that Snape owed no alligience to either side and hence was dangerous to both sides....He certainly did not do it with Lord Voldemort's approval, a huge, huge risk... I can't help but think of a book by Joseph Conrad "The Heart of Darkness." In that book, they talk about evil not being strictly a matter of black or white but a zone of grayness. Ultimately, it will be very interesting as to whether Harry kills Snape, Voldemort kills Snape, or Snape disappears.
There was a quote in the HBP by DD that said, "the world is not separated into good people and deatheaters" or something to that effect. I think while Snape is not a good person he is trying to work on the side of good and in many ways has been very unselfish, putting himself at risk many times

In all I think Snape both loves and admires Draco. I think he loves him "like a son", because he has never had any children of his own, If you look at the way Snape scolds Draco everytime he really screws up. It is like a father scolding a son. In the HBP Snape again and again trys to get Draco to tell him exactly what he is up to and I do not think it was just to tell DD, but to also protect Draco from any plans that may in the long run hurt Draco and in the end Draco refuses, acting much like a teenage kid trying to break free of a parent. Then at the end of the book Snape drags Draco away, like a child in tow.
I think Snape admires Draco, because Draco is a commanding leader amoung his peers and that is what Snape wishes his school days and even now were like. I think he very much envies how Draco can make his cronies do as he wishes.
Snape made the unbreakable vow because he cares for all the Malfoys and knows that Draco entered as a DE without realizing what he was doing. He wants Draco to have a second chance like he got and save him from LV

Old May 25th, 2007, 9:09 pm
First Year

JK has said in no uncertain terms that Snape has never been in love. Here is what she says on the topic:

"JKR thinks that that the thought of Snape in love is a "very horrible idea" and is stunned that someone wonders if Snape might fall in love. We will find out why in book 7."

However, we do know that Snape has been loved.

Now, all that aside, I have always thought that Draco was Snapes son. I have absolutely no proof of this and I have looked everywhere, but it has still nagged at the back of my mind. I won't go into the details because of the age group here, but it is very possible that Snape could have rejected Narcissa after a night and she ran to Lucius and married very quickly.

Old May 25th, 2007, 9:12 pm
Second Year

hmm...draco looks too much like his father for that, both of his parents are very fair, and snape is more dark.

Old May 26th, 2007, 1:06 am
Fourth Year

I think they are good Friends and nothing more. As for Snape helping Narcissa? Narcissa said Snape's Draco's FAVOURITE Teacher at Hogwarts. Some may say she was attempting to kiss up to him and that the reason why Snape's Draco's "favourite Teacher" is because Draco gets some favouritism. Which on some levels may be true.
However, I see it goes deeper than this. As I've said in previous posts I think Snape sees a younger version of himself in Draco. Okay, Draco does have "Friends", but IMHO, Crabbe and Goyle are Draco's Friends through coersion(Draco's comment to Harry before the Sorting Ceremony) and association. I don't get a sense of that chemistry that we get with The Trio.
WITHOUT Crabbe and Goyle, Draco is lost and somewhat lonely. The only time Harry saw Draco alone, he was nearly sick with fright over Narcissa's fate. We see the REAL Draco Malfoy here--a FRIGHTENED Child who knows he's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Snape has probably realized Draco is ALL talk and no show (or however the saying goes). He can dish out, but runs away when push comes to shove. He also lets Crabbe and Goyle do his dirty work. I also suspect that Snape knows what Draco's home life is like. I am NOT saying that it's as horrible as Snape's own Childhood, but I think Lucius is the absent and distant Father. Draco is supposed to be seen and NOT heard, even then, he's supposed to stay in the background letting Lucius take the spotlight and nod like a good little boy at his comments/insults, etc. Other than that, Draco's supposed to pull the line, "be a man" and not do anything to embarrass Lucius in public.
As for WHY Snape is "Draco's FAVOURITE" Professor, I suspect it's because Snape saw how intelligent Draco was and how much he could learn. Draco realized this because Snape gave him the encouragement he needed and wanted. Narcissa's comments also made me believe Snape treated Draco like a person and that Draco went to Snape for advise for different things. So I suspect maybe Draco saw Snape as a Big Brother--or maybe even the Father he wished he had in Lucius.
Again, Snape sees a younger version of himself in Draco. It seems like for the most part, Snape was on his own. He didn't have any close Friends or someone looking out for him. I also think Snape has some un-resolved issues about his Childhood. Even though he'd probably bite the very hand which bit him, I think deep down, all he wanted was someone to stand up on his side of the court.
Remember the argument they had in HBP. Snape told Draco that Crabbe and Goyle HAD to focus on their studies if they had even the slightest chance at Graduating. He also sounded VERY concered for Draco's wellfare telling him he was being incautious, wandering around at night, getting caught, etc. Draco even talks back to his FAVOURITE Professor daring him to give him detention

I TRUST Severus Snape!!!!

Last edited by Leslie33; May 26th, 2007 at 2:05 am.
Old May 26th, 2007, 1:18 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalors1 View Post
JK has said in no uncertain terms that Snape has never been in love. Here is what she says on the topic:

"JKR thinks that that the thought of Snape in love is a "very horrible idea" and is stunned that someone wonders if Snape might fall in love. We will find out why in book 7."

Now, all that aside, I have always thought that Draco was Snapes son. I have absolutely no proof of this and I have looked everywhere, but it has still nagged at the back of my mind. I won't go into the details because of the age group here, but it is very possible that Snape could have rejected Narcissa after a night and she ran to Lucius and married very quickly.
Narcissa strikes me as not so much the the gold-digger type but very 'class' oriented-i think lucius suits her perfectly,and she's very defensive of him as can be seen in spinners end which suggests she loves him.I just cant see her falling for Snape to be honest.

Old May 26th, 2007, 1:40 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaselkneazle View Post
I have a crazy theory
I think Snape and Narcissa once loved each other and Draco is Snape's son.
JKR said that Snape does not have a daughter, but she did not say that he does not have a child. So Snape must have a son and Draco is the most obvious choice for that (to me atleast).
JKR also said that Snape was loved once and who else could love him?
I had thought I read somewhere that JKR had said that Snape had no children at all. Am I wrong? Also as great a twist as it would be for Draco to be Snape's son, I must agree with everyone else that Draco looks much too much like both his parents to be Snape's son. Although I stand by my previous statement that Snape loves Draco "like a son".

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalors1 View Post

That quote clears up some questions atleast because I do not believe JKR would do the love'm and leave'm idea of having children with one person and marrying another. However she says that Snape being "in love" is a bad idea not that Snape is incapable of loving anyone. I think he could love Draco and treat him like a son he never had without comprimising this belief. I also not not think that having friends you sincerly care about comprimises her statement either, so Snape "loving" the Malfoys would be the only reason that makes sense for him to enter into the unbreakable vow.

Old May 27th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Student

I don't think that there is anything to Snape and Narcissa's relationship other than being friends. Narcissa loves Lucius and defends him when Bella criticises him.

Old May 27th, 2007, 5:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkysmajic
That quote clears up some questions atleast because I do not believe JKR would do the love'm and leave'm idea of having children with one person and marrying another. However she says that Snape being "in love" is a bad idea not that Snape is incapable of loving anyone. I think he could love Draco and treat him like a son he never had without comprimising this belief. I also not not think that having friends you sincerly care about comprimises her statement either, so Snape "loving" the Malfoys would be the only reason that makes sense for him to enter into the unbreakable vow.
Another reason would be that Dumbledore suggested this as a possiblity to Snape beforehand. If we believe that Dumbledore already knew of Draco's task, it's conceivable that he and Snape discussed the likelihood of Narcissa asking such a favour of Snape at some point.

I think there must have been some kind of friendship between Snape and the Malfoys for Narcissa to even consider going to him for help. Yes, she was desperate, but even so - she must have felt relatively sure that she could trust him before asking him to help her.

Squirrelio Fans - If you love Flashforward, listen to our podcast!
Obliviate! - Come join my Harry Potter/Flashforward forum!
Old May 27th, 2007, 5:41 pm
First Year

snape made that UV for a reason maybe to make himself look good in bellatrix eyes?? because she didnt think him brave enough to go through with it.

probably completley out of the park but im sure jo will let us know hopefully

Old May 28th, 2007, 3:29 am
First Year

I'm not sure...that would be very interesting to know, though...

She's standing outside holding me
Saying oh please
I'm in love
I'm in love
Old May 28th, 2007, 5:54 pm
Master Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysme View Post
I don't think Snape liked Narcissa. I think in Spinners End he felt sorry for her and thats about it. Narcissa was 4 years older than Snape so I am not sure there would have been any time for feelings to emerge. Narcissa said that Snape and Lucius were old friends so Snape obviously knew the Malfoy family pretty well.
With you on that one. I don't think Snape fancied Narcissa at any point, or even if he did, it no longer mattered (come on, only because you fancy someone at school, you don't risk your necks for them twenty years later). I rather had the impression that it was the 'mothers theme' that got Snape in that chapter. His own mother appeared weak and submissive from the little we've seen from her. And here comes Narcissa, willing to defy the Dark Lord's orders only to help her son - I suppose that must strike a chord with Snape.

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:07 pm
Third Year

I reread this chapter in book 6 and found it very evocative. I'm going to say that it is nearly identical to one of his three hidden memories in the Pensieve. I believe Snape went to Lily to warn her that Voldemort was going after her son and
"...there's nothing you can do about it. Just give him up - you can have other children."
"No," she cried like Narcissa. "He's my only son. Please Severus, you can save him."
"I cannot. But I may be able to save you. And beware, someone close to you is a spy for the Dark Lord."
Severus took pity on her tears and goes to Voldemort (or went to him already) to beg him to spare her life. That's why she could have lived even though she escaped him 3 times previously. Also, Snape didn't believe Voldemort so went to Dumbledore and turned spy in the hopes of saving Lily, which failed, because his own words caused them to change from Sirius to Wormtail. Snape was furious - insane when he next met Sirius, thinking he had betrayed the woman he loved, Lily Evans.

Old July 11th, 2007, 11:19 pm
MODLY CREW

Please do not discuss Snape/Lily in any form. It's taboo for the time being throughout the forums, except for the Triumvirate threads, because we had too much trouble in the past with this particular topic.

Old July 12th, 2007, 3:44 am
Third Year

I think Narcissa thinks Snape likes her. I am not sure if he actually does. If Snape was in love with Narcissa I can't see him being best friends with Lucius for so long.
Narcissa is certainly not in love with Snape. If she was, she would NEVER ask him to put his life on his ability to kill Dumbeldore when even Voldy has failed. She is a very selfish woman. I can't see Snape being attracted to her. She is what he would call weak. Crying, pulling at his robes. kissing his hands and all of that. It seems to me like she is trying to use her beauty ( hence the name) to trap Snape into the same fate as her son. She doesn't care about him.

I don't even believed that it was Snape who took the vow. it would be a death sentance if he did.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 12th, 2007, 4:06 am
Fifth Year

I think it is unlikely that Snape likes Narcissa, but if he does, I think that Narcissa used him in order to protect Draco. I don't see Narcissa liking Snape especially since she is married to Lucius.

Here lies Dobby, a free elf.

"That wand's more trouble than it's worth, and quite honestly, I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
Old August 3rd, 2007, 1:44 am
Third Year

As a Snape fan, I've never thought that there was anything between Narcissa and Snape. I think Snape has always been very good friends with Lucius and that Snape was somewhat of a "godfather" to Draco. Nothing more. In Book 6, I think it was Snape's position in the DEs and in Hogwarts that made Narcissa go to Snape to create an Unbreakable Vow.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:30 pm
First Year

umm...wasn't Narcissa Snape's sister? I thought we found that out in the HBP...

EVERYBODY:VOTE FOR LUNA/DOBBY HERE!
Come on...you know you wanna! Gurdyroots, Nargles, Funny sock day! You know you wanna! Vote Luna/Dobby!
Luna/Dobby's Spotlight Thread: Socks+Serenity!!!
(sig pic made by Rell)
Old August 29th, 2007, 4:00 am
Second Year

why Unbreakable Vow ? is quite risky?

Old August 30th, 2007, 5:39 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by muggleborn168 View Post
umm...wasn't Narcissa Snape's sister? I thought we found that out in the HBP...

Narcissa is the sister of Bellatrix.

And I think she was also the sister of Tonks' mom, Andromeda. But I don't have books 5 and 6 handy on me right now so I'm not 100% sure.

This forum is missing a bunny emote.

BLASPHEMY!

VOTE SMELLYGOPHER FOR MAYOR NEXT ELECTION

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives > Divination Studies