Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

Old August 21st, 2007, 10:36 pm
First Year

Re: HP Movie "Chapter-a-Day" DVD Discussion V2

I like the look and feel of the underwater setting in this scene. It's all so vast and murky, it works really well.

The mermaids kind of irked me since they definitely looked more vicious than I imagined, but that makes sense since we're supposed to think of them as a possible threat. Speaking of threats, I think it's unfortunate that we're practically told shortly after she disappears that Fleur is all right. It makes any threat to Harry lessened.

I can't remember how the bubble head charm is described in the book, but this was not how I pictured it. I guess this makes it more practical, though.

Looks like Harry can voluntarily do a bit of non-verbal magic, too.

Neville's lack of confidence, even in his favorite subject, is a nice touch.

Hermione saying "ze grindylows" is cute.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 9:01 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Previous Chapter Post
GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House
GoF Chp 2: The Port Key
GoF Chp 3: The Quidditch World Cup
GoF Chp 4: The Dark Mark
GoF Chp 5: The Tri-Wizard Tournament
GoF Chp 6: The Goblet of Fire
GoF Chp 7: The Unforgivable Curses
GoF Chp 8: The Four Champions
GoF Chp 9: Let Events Unfold
GoF Chp 10: Rita Skeeter

GoF Chp 11: Sirius Conversation
GoF Chp 12: The Hungarian Horntail
GoF Chp 13: Transforming Malfoy
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 14: The First Task (Part 2)
GoF Chp 15: Best Foot Forward
GoF Chp 16: An Unexpected Challenge
GoF Chp 17: The Yule Ball
GoF Chp 18: The Egg's Clue
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 1)
GoF Chp 19: The Second Task (Part 2)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 20: Never Whole Again

Another boring scene. Well I wouldn't say boring, but it doesn't interest me in the least. There is a bit of the non-canon idea that Hagrid and the Trio are going camping in the spooky woods which is sweet in itself but I felt no real idea of closeness between any of them really. I felt it was more to inform the audience that this is the 4th movie by now and trying to add some semblance of metaverse connections with the other films.

However from the beginning, even the Twins IMHO fall flat in the beginning of this scene praising Harry on his morality. Crouch sounds more French than ever before, even giving Madame Maxine a run for her money and Fake!Moody has all the subtlty of a Hammer hitting against an anvil right against your face. I don't know if anyone ever felt any sort of shock or connection with Crouch in the first place because when Harry came upon his body it's like walking into a random dead corpse extra #4, rather than actually encountering someone who's significant to the plot. Even Cedric's death was more meaningful than Crouch and yet they had about the same amount of screentime.

With the office scene, I do have to say that I like Dumbledore's office. It's not as classy looking as the one from CoS, but what I like about it is that it's pretty much packed full of stuff. Too bad it isn't shot in such a manner where you could actually see some things clearly as opposed to seeing a sort of off angle awkward shot of the scene. The arguement was a trainwreck. There was a nice little hint of Dumbledore when he told Harry not to worry and their discussion was over, and Gleeson was alright down to his creepy final stare while the door closed on harry. However there isn't anything of significance (that I could think of now) that pops into my mind that makes this scene memorable. It's one of those un-canon things that really didn't come out all that great.

Things of Note

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:43 am
Fifth Year

The Crouch stuff was handled very poorly. He simply wasn't used enough earlier for this to have any impact, and it doesn't help that the only person who seems to be bothered is Dumbledore. After the fuss that was made after the attacks in COS, I would have thought a Ministry official being murdered would have more impact. It's because of the 'adaptation' that this doesn't work. In the book, they all think Crouch has gone missing, it's all mysterious. In the film, they actually find his corpse, they know he is dead, and I think the fact that they didn't bother to change the effect of that is what makes this plot fall on it's face. It's like Sirius dying in OOTP. No impact.

Anyway, I love Gambon in this scene. It's a detailed little performance, I like how when he tells Fudge "a true leader does what is right, no matter what others think", then Fudge leans over him, DD sort of leans back, knowing he's perhaps pushed Fudge a little too much, or how bosses Fudge around once Harry arrives, "Minister, after you" is delivered with the perfect mix of politeness and curt bossiness (I love how he chortles as he hands Fudge his hat), or how he winks at Harry. It's a shame Newell cocked up DD so much earlier in the film, in fact I'd say Newell is partly to blame for the badly handled relationship between DD and Harry in OOTP. If he had bothered to think beyond his film, he would see that he directed DD in a way that makes it hard for other directors to build off an established relationship. I think the DD/Harry stuff in OOTP fell a little flat simply because their relationship has not been shown accurately (although Newell used DD better in this final act) in GOF, and there simply wasn't an opportunity to set it up from scratch in OOTP.

I also like the very long beard the prop people have given DD in this scene. It should always be like this, not the short little thing he had on during the feast. I love that ambient ticking/whirring sound from all the instruments in the office, but I would have liked to see more of the instruments that Cuaron had in the set in POA (I think they were CGI), because they were beautiful. The camera is used a little crudely in this scene, I would have preferred a few more wide angles and some more dynamic lighting.

This chapter still has that arbitrary, inconsequential feel to it, like most of GOF. Maybe because there's no music, or the lighting? Maybe the script? I just can't put my finger on why it feels so 'meh'.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 4:37 am
Banned

In part to me the office scene seem off because it's like they said "ok their filming now, start talking" whereas really feeling like you are interrupting anything. There is no sense of anything unheard or undercurrent.

I liked the scene with Crouch - never hole/whole again - as it at least humanizes him a little before he's offed. And the snake tongue was the only visual clue - from fake Moody - that he's fake - and the jealously made it a nice family scene - but then Crouch is killed for aedipal (sp?) well it's a patricide for jealousy vs something to protect Voldie... I mean they also lost the meaning of the death, and Crouch's battle against the mental hold on him and the suspicion of Krum.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 9:22 am
First Year

Crouch's "never whole again" is a nice line. Giving us a hint of what's to come in the next scene.

Seeing the deleted scenes actually gives me some appreciation for the song. At least now I know where it's from, even if that doesn't make it any less bad.

I never really liked the look of the forest here. I don't know what it is, maybe the last movie made it look a bit fantastical and here it's just walking through some misty trees. Also, the discovery of Fudge doesn't really have any impact probably because the character didn't have much.

The office scene is nice if insignificant. I do like Dumbledore's tone to Harry, always reminding us of his relationship and the lightness DD carries with him.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 8:38 pm
Second Year

Crouch Sr is one of the weirdest character I've seen on film. The scene with Harry seems completely out of place - why is it even in there? Why would Crouch Jr pour out his soul to a student like that? It doesn't fit with everything else shown about the character, I think.

I thought the Hagrid-scene was indearing. I thought they looked quite close, all of them. Especially Ron's wonderful "We're still a bunch of misfits". (Although I have no idea where that came from - Hermione and Ron aren't misfits at all).

I don't like the scene in Dumbledore's office at all. Again, Gambon is too aggressive. Is that man supposed to be wise, balanced and calm? Awfully handled, like every other Dumbledore scene. I also liked Dumbledore's office best in CoS.

Old August 30th, 2007, 4:08 am
Banned

The candy snaps were good though!

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:04 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 20: Never Whole Again

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 21: The Pensieve

Now that I have my GoF DVD back in hand, I can get on with this.

Sadly I lost my post for this chapter so forgive me if I'm less eloquent or ranty as usual, but as with most lost things, you do get a bit frustrated.

I'd like to start off that in this chapter two very movie-logical things happen here but I still don't quite like them.

The pensieve being hidden makes sense that you'd probably want to hide your memories/thoughts from prying eyes. Especially when you could potentially carry very sensitive and important information; you'd want that kind of stuff hidden at least to some degree. How it was revealed by a hidden switch that Harry just happened upon was just too hokey for me to swallow. I mean it's kind of fun in a way but it just seems so heavy handed. Me personally I'd rather have Harry be more curious to his surroudings than just surprised by it; much like how he was in Borgin and Burkes in CoS. They could have done a less hokey thing by having Barty Crouch Sr.'s voice come from the pensieve, freaking out Harry since he assumes he's dead (I mean Barty's voice is pretty distinct from what we experienced so far) and then have Harry go to the in-plain-sight pensieve.

The second thing I found to be very logical but a bit grinding was how Harry just instinctively took out his wand to stir the memories in the pensieve. This is a great idea because it emphasizes the idea that the wizard or witch's wand is an extension of their body or arm. It would make sense for Harry or any other wizard to have their wand drawn out to test the boundries of something magically new to them. Problem is, it does seem a bit too premature for Harry to do something like this. I mean it's great that they decided to do this, it sort of reminds me of Harry a bit pre-Knight Bus in PoA. However what if the stuff was acid? Good-bye wand and good-bye rest of the school year. I guess we also have a bit of the series to blame as well since even though we understand that using the wand that much might be realistic for the world, we get so little chance to see Harry or the Trio to use their wands in a non-classroom or non-adventure setting. So even when something like these occurs it does seem a bit out of place.

As for the transition into the memory, it was alright. Not the best thing really, I do like the little reflection trick but we are exposed to Radcliffe's poor scream of fear (which seems to be a lot in this film). The Wizengamot is nothing what I expected, far taller and more square for that matter. The colours and the setting does remind me of the Dickens-esque visuals that Columbus used, which is pretty appealing in this setting. It seems more chaotic and less official in this case. All in all it sort of starts out grand looking from the sheer height of it all, but looks far too small for various hearings regarding some of the most important hearings in wizarding history.

The acting in it was once again alright. It's the last time we'll get to see good old Crouch Sr. being as weird as he possibly can. Gambon overtalking Karkaroff's accusations of Snape was just terrible. It was all bark and no bite at all and just felt waaaaay from left field. And the last bit of tension with Karkaroff toying with Crouch's patience for the name of the Deatheater double agent was not tense at all, more annoying really. With the subtlty of a hammer Fake!Moody being hinted as Crouch Jr. is just straight up telling us. It doesn't matter since the red herrings to who is pulling Harry's strings have been so forggotten by this point; you might as well let the cat out of the bag.

It's too bad that I didn't have a copy of my thread on Muggle clothing because a poster talked about the pillbox hats that the Wizengamot was wearing during the scene being similiar in design to the outfits that other european judges wear. However this time around I've gotten to pay attention to the guards of the hearing and notice that they seem to be wearing clothing similiar to the military which I guess sort of reinforces how much of a tyrant Crouch was in the past.

So now we come back to with even more Dumbledore painful handling. Once again a bit too gruff and spaced out with bad dialogue to boot. It's sort of peculiar because just seeing how Gambon is directed; it sort of is trying to be like the wittyly cryptic Dumbledore from PoA when he talked about the peculiarity of time and the dangers of it to Harry and Hermione. The gaze beyond where Harry and Hermione are standing, like imagining them somewhere else. However this time the gaze sort of fixes on Harry warning him on the dangers of entering memories (a good little warning for SWM) but when Harry moves towards the Pensieve, he still stares right into space. It's just a bit confusing that you think that he was addressing him to find out he wasn't whereas in PoA you know right off the bat that he wasn't entirely addressing Harry and Hermione.

All in all it was alright. Once again the high production values show again but sadly Newall's inability to compose a scene well enough to make it look clear or even artistic is what kinda of brings it down for me; as well with the hokey dialogue. Repeat after me...BARTY CROUCH........*PAUSE*..........JUNIOR!

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Unknown
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

• Even though I have gripes with the whole hidden pensieve thing, it does play on the idea of Dumbledore's foresight to all ends. One could imagine that his suggestion to Harry to partake in some licorice snaps while showing Fudge the door was intentional to have him discover the hidden latch for the Pensieve. If it was a subtle intent it was indeed too subtle for me to pick up the first few times.

• We see a de-spectacled Dumbledore this time around which really makes him look like a Hatless Gandalf. I do wonder if that was the intent at the time. However you could argue that Newall was following a bit of movie continuity since there was a non-spectacled Harris Dumbledore in the flashback sequence of CoS:

Gandalf-dore for GoF on the left and a Just for Men dyed Dumbledore for CoS on the right.

• Karkaroff in the Iron Maiden-type cage was always peculiar to me. I mean why put him in a cage with adjustable spikes? Then it makes some sort of sense, if a wizard is capable of wandless magic then it would make sense that you would need to restrict the person as much as possible. Even though you could just chain the fool down, I think this kind of emphasizes the lengths of restrictions the MoM would have gone during Voldie War 1 especially Crouch Sr.

• Very neat coincidence that it was Moody who stopped Crouch Jr. from escaping; only to have Crouch Jr. take his place as Moody in the film.

Last edited by DarwinMayflower; September 1st, 2007 at 10:35 am.
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:43 am
Fifth Year

I think the court scene is a little hollow, it lacks impact, it all seems too stilted. I love the scene in DDs office though, I love how old DD looks as he stares into his reflection in the cabinet (with the Deathly Hallows symbol to his left!), but when he turns around, the wrinkles sort of vanish. I like how DD is quite emotional (remember he's seen Bartys body, unlike in the book, which explains why he is a bit more human in this scene).

Darwin, I think the weird DD staring thing is a result of splicing odd takes together. You can see it shifts from DD staring ahead, then it cuts to a wider angle and DD is looking at Harry before he walks away. Sloppy editing. How I miss the days of POAs one take scenes. Oh well. I do find it amusing that they reused the beard from the COS flashback (even though it's only a decade or so ago! I guess it has to be clear to the audience that we're in the past).

Old September 1st, 2007, 10:49 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
I think the court scene is a little hollow, it lacks impact, it all seems too stilted. I love the scene in DDs office though, I love how old DD looks as he stares into his reflection in the cabinet (with the Deathly Hallows symbol to his left!), but when he turns around, the wrinkles sort of vanish. I like how DD is quite emotional (remember he's seen Bartys body, unlike in the book, which explains why he is a bit more human in this scene).
REALLY? Well this I have to check out. Thanks for the point out. I do admit I like the more human side of Dumbledore, but to me it does lack a certain subtlty to it all. It's like, 'Hey let's make him sit down like he's one of the guys' as opposed to really making him really feel like a well rounded human being. Parts like when he told Harry how he hated the cloth for the beds were just great IMHO. Only wish that all of Dumbeldore's more human moments were handled as well as that one.

Quote:
Darwin, I think the weird DD staring thing is a result of splicing odd takes together. You can see it shifts from DD staring ahead, then it cuts to a wider angle and DD is looking at Harry before he walks away. Sloppy editing. How I miss the days of POAs one take scenes. Oh well. I do find it amusing that they reused the beard from the COS flashback (even though it's only a decade or so ago! I guess it has to be clear to the audience that we're in the past).
Never noticed the beard either so good eye. But you are right for the odd takes. I don't know if Newall didn't have the eye for it or just assumed it was alright from his angle.

Old September 1st, 2007, 9:57 pm
Fourth Year

I liked the scene, for when yo dont break it down and analyze it, it getst he message across very well. In fact, thats how I seem to view Newell's work in this movie in general, that the scenes and movie tself seem to be greater than the sum of it's parts since, as many have pointed out, to use this scene as an example, alot of the bits and pieces for the courtroom scene by themselves are pretty hokey (BC Jr. going crazy the moment he is called out rather than try to act innocent is one of those things, but it worked for me whenever I see the movie as it does its job an does it in a popcornesque sort of way.

...Besides, I like the whole

Karkaroff- "BARTY CROUCH...."
Ministry- o_O as he pauses for effect.
Karkaroff- JOOOOONIOR!!
Ministry- O_O

...it just felt right in context for some reason. Of course, it remains absolutely true that the bits and pieces of each scene are wonky to no end...

Proud to have proclaimed BOTH Battles of Hogwarts two books early!
Old September 3rd, 2007, 2:19 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 21: The Pensieve

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 22: Dreams and Suspicions

Nothing much to talk about in this chapter so I'll let other people discuss more in detail. However this is once again an example of the great cinematography of the film here. The shot of Harry walking down the hallway looks far more menacing than PoA's which once again emphasizes how just shots like those show how cruel and dangerous the environment is.

Rickman as Snape, if he was ever to have a bad moment (thus far) it would be here. A bit straight forward and forced really and you can really feel how just for the sake of feeling here. His usual performances of gold seemed more a tarnished bronze here; salvagable but in need for a bit of a polish.

Other than that nothing else is to be made from all of this. Just a short scene.

Things of Note
  • Music used in the scene: Unknown
    Music Cue list greatly supplied by The Harry Potter Lexicon

• While CoS and OoTP manages to get where the potions class is supposed to be correctly (FYI in the dungeon) this time around it seems peculiar that we get to see the potion ingredient stores near Dumbledore's office or even in the regular Hogwarts Hallways. Seems a bit inconvinient really, unless that is Snape's own personal store.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 6:15 am
Second Year

Lack of Snape in GOF to begin with so, Rickman here to me I thought did a good job with that little scene..especially his 'don't lie to me' line.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 8:58 am
Second Year

Haven't been here in a while.

A short comment about the Pensieve-scene: What annoyed me the most, was that the didn't follow up on Harry learning that Snape had been (or still was?) a Death Eater. That was an important bit of information, but they just shouted it out without ever mentioning it again.

I quite like the Snape/Harry-scene here. Harry acts quite differently towards Snape in PoA and GoF then what he did in the two first movies. Or so I think. He seems to be less afraid of Snape and more able to stand up to him. (Which I find odd, by the way, that Snape lets him).

Alan Rickman is always gold as Snape in my book. He has a way of speaking and a mannerism that I find completely captivating. I almost hold my breath during his scenes.

I've read somewhere that some people believe that Snape shut himself in when he closed the door. I am not quite sure what they base it on.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:29 am
Fifth Year

This scene is OK. It's interesting they reused the hall from POA where Harry sees Pettigrew on the map, but with a door slapped in the middle of it. The scene is well-acted but has that same arbitrary feeling as a lot of other patrts.

A few things about the final part of the scene with Dumbledore. I know originally Harry and DD had more lines, I remember in all the pre-release footage Harry said, "If you can't protect me now, then who can?" and DD replies "I'm afraid there are no more easy answers, Harry." If you look closely you can see DDs lips moving as he stares at the pensieve, where they removed a line. Also I find it extremely lazy how they re-use the earlier shot of DDs memory falling into the pensieve. If you look at his sleeves at the edge of the pensieve, he's not even wearing the same robe! This sort of sly but amateurish editing is a major annoyance for me.

Old September 4th, 2007, 9:25 am
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 22: Dreams and Suspicsions

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 23: The Third Task

Yes, this time NO PART ONE OR TWO for this task since it is so sort. So anything you have to say about it, do it now or forever hold your peace.

As for me, I love this damn scene.

The adaption of it impresses me to no end at all. Every single time I watch this, this is like the best of Newall in 10 minutes. The adaption process of the 1st Task and the cheap scares of the 2nd task are fullfilled in this final task and it pays off in spades. The cumulation of Newall's cinematopgraphical choices for the previous two tasks makes it all the better.

IMHO this scene does a lot of things right even though a few items do stem from the very same qualms I have earlier. Case in point, Dumbledore being somewhat of a spritual Ludo Bagman giving that pep talk which is incredibly revelent to the task at hand with a cute little huddle. I half expected a hut hut. Amos' hug of his son Cedric and his showmanship shows how much he loves his son and ever so proud of him. It breaks my heart knowing that they have such a great bond only to be cut so short by death. The neat little idea that instead of Dumbledore being Harry's headmaster/coach/support system it's Moody; the very person who'll lead Harry astray, so great that Dumbledore's concern over Harry is being blocked by Moody's deception.

But the main attraction here is THE MAZE. When I read the book about the maze, I thought it was weaksauce. I'm sorry, but some of the things in there never looked like something that would scare the pants off of Harry Potter in the first place. They were certain tasks that were already conquered by him in some shape or form, but more importantly a lot of them were seemed childish really. Ultimately filling the maze with monsters was just lame IMHO especially cosidering how dangerous in comparison the first two tasks were.

But Newall made it work. He made the maze soil-your-pants scary. The first awesome clue is that when the maze closes up and you see the final funny little hint by Moody and the band playing, they disappear and like my friend said WELCOME TO DEATHLAND!!!!. Sure it's heavy handed but it WORKS. The edits are awesome to Harry's sudden revelation that he's in the maze and it's pretty soil-your-pants scary in here. That one zoom up to see the huge scope of the maze? I thought it looked lame in the trailer but in the film, they just sold the damn thing to me. I am impressed. They made it into a character, a force much like Caradhras in LOTR: FOTW (or what it should have been).

What made me like this part even more is the idea that every changed in the maze. Fear, hatred, selfishness even the weakness of Krum; there's something so completely right about how it was done in this part of the film. For the first time I felt this film was more real than fantasy. Fantasy would have done the maze as is in the novel, but this was like something you'd see in real life. I mean it's THE FINAL TASK; the last race to the cup in a tournament where people DIED. This stuff makes sense that there'd be something as insanely awesome as a hedge swallowing someone whole. It make sense that in a competative tournament for wizards and witches, you'd actually EXPECT some wizard and witches to fight each other in the final task for the final piece of glory.

I love how everything seems so real, from Fleur being swallowed up into the hedge, Harry's futile attempt to save her. This scene was far more convincingly real than the fantasy (but also nice) time with the Devil's Snare in PS. How Cedric expelliarmus'd Krum and kicked the wand out of the way like it was a firearm made complete sense and just brought the world of HP far more into reality that I'd like to but I like it. Even to how they moved when the hedges tried to swallow up Cedric. Even the cheap scare scene with Fleur being attacked was far more impressive than the one in the Second task but for some reason it was executed far better.

I must admit this is the very first time we get to see the dark and selfish side of Harry. I mean 100% selfish and in the wrong. I mean there were instances of just deliquency like Harry with the Mirror of Erised and Harry with the Marauder's Map (and totally getting caught with it by Lupin). But you never felt he'd done anything wrong, he was safe enough and deserved it. However when you see Harry run towards the cup, pushing Cedric aside...a person who has been helping him as much (if not more) in this tournament while Harry did the same; you get a certain knot in your stomach. You see Harry competing not for himself, but by trying to get the other person out of the way. It's not a simple race this time, it's a race with shoves, traps and pushes. You don't outstep your opponent, you STEP OVER THEM.

While Harry debates saving Cedric, you really feel the choice that he has to make between winning and allowing someone to potentially die. Quite a tense situation especially for anyone who knew the outcome anyways. I mean up until now this is like the first time it's been really sold that some people might actually DIE in this tournament; even the Second Task didn't really sell me the idea that Harry could have drowned. But Harry does the right choice and save Ced and they share a nice little moment.

Some game eh? said Cedric. You can't be anymore right there Mr. Diggory.

Things of Note

Old September 4th, 2007, 11:17 am
Fifth Year

I really love this scene. The Hogwarts March that the band play is great, very much in the style of POA, and I love Dumbledore's entrance with Harry. He's got his hand on his shoulder, he shows him to the arena then stares after him, concerned. The only thing I don't like about DD in this scene in how he barks 'quickly!' at the champions after he tells them to gather round. I love how he puts his arms around Fleur and Krum, and how during his speech, his eyes always dart back to Harry when he says something important. The close-up of Dumbledore giving Moody the DD X-Ray stare TM(if you look very, very closely his eyes flick to Harry before darting back to Moody) as he points Harry towards the cup is one of my favourite shots. DDs face as Filch fires the cannon is hilarious.

The actual maze is probably the best task, I think. The living hedge aspect was quite ingenious, and the stuff with the champions fighting, especially between Harry and Cedric, was very well shot, it had a nice energy and good use of close-ups. The wide-angle showing Harry shooting red sparks was exactly as I pictured it in the book. I think it works better as a more psychological battle, to find the cup first, avoid the hedges and outdo the other champions, by any means neccesary. DDs pertinent warning that 'people change in the maze' is especially apt, and I think all the actors do very well portraying darker,selfish, more treacherous emotions in this scene. The scene as in the book would have taken far too long, this worked better, and it got us to the graveyard quickly. One of the few large adaptations that was handled well and payed off.

One funny little thing. When Amos says 'My boy' to Cedric, it's dubbbed awfully, his lips don't even move. Always annoys me.

Last edited by yoshi2542; September 4th, 2007 at 11:20 am.
Old September 7th, 2007, 10:34 pm
Banned

Previous Movie Posts

Previous Chapter Post

GoF Chp 22: Dreams and Suspicsions
GoF Chp 23: The Third Task

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 24: Flesh Blood and Bone
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 25: The Death Eaters
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire Chapter 26: Priori Incantatem

DAY 1 of DICUSSION

Well another first for the thread, this time I'mma going to discuss 3 chapters, in one sitting. In this discussion I'll be spreading it out over 2-3 days (depending on how much gets discussed). In this case I guess I'll be focusing more on the characters involved in the graveyard scene. Next time would be more about the set and SFX and the 3rd day something else. But bring up whatever any of you want.

IMHO the graveyard scene sort of continues the excellent adaption of the previous chapter. The only real gripes I had were the uber silly Death-Eater costumes (in comparison to OoTP's), Wormtail being a bit too fanatical as expressed earlier in [i]GoF Chp 1: The Riddle House, a bit of Radcliffe's acting and some other small things I'm sure I'll bring up.

I must say, being Cedric's near to final scene, he never fails to impress until the end. His amusement that the cup was a portkey, his concern for Harry and once again the bringing the real life aspect of wizarding defense with his stance with his wand:

It just makes so much sense.

However me personally, I think Fiennes steals the entire scene. I love him as Voldemort here, he just has a presence of pure evil. It does help greatly that he was capable of such evil parts as seen in Schindler's List but more sinigficantly IMHO Red Dragon. Just seeing him smiling with evil teeth again reminds me of it. Now while many people think that he seemed a bit...lively for the dark lord in comparison to the books, I personally found him to be loads better.

What I like about him was how eloquent and charismatic he was. I've always listened to the audio books by Jim Dale and therefore had an impression of how Voldemort sounded, a bit calmer and deadlier. However when JKR mentioned that Voldemort was a psychopath, I've never really gotten that impression from the books. Yes a bit of an impatient, angry and kill-easy villain, but never really a psychopath in the real sense. I mean yes psychopaths aren't like movie or television psychopaths. They don't act out however dealing strictly with movie and tv psychopaths in that vein, I love this interpretation of Voldemort. It makes sense that he'd have to be so lively and charismatic for anyone to follow him. That he'd have almost the showmanship to get people to follow him into killing and imprisoning muggles. I love how he has instances where he might snap and that makes sense that to be feared, you have to make people unaware of when your anger will be unleashed. How Voldemort acted in the books and considering the power of certain spells, it does make you wonder how he could keep anyone in line when everyone could use the same spells he does.

There's also a grace to him that I really admire adding to Voldemort, that dueling with magic is almost like a dance to him. While in the 3rd task we get the first instance of large powerful magic with the instance of the tornado taking Fleur to safety (or so I hope); this is the first time we get to see a long drawn out instance of someone very comfortable with magic and using their whole body (not just the wand) in performing it. Much like how the link was establish, how Voldemort used his non-wand hand to almost channel the magic in the duel. Or how he just holds it when he asks Harry to bow; very much like a conductor's wand. The evil contines as he descrates the dead by stepping on Cedric and the lines he utters are just perfect...perfect villain prose.

Isaacs...he was alright however he does seem a bit more restrained. Also it is quite funny and almost immasculating to Voldemort that Lucius is a bit taller than the Dark Lord. But then again, Voldemort is going shoeless today. Pettigrew does go back to his cowardly way as seen in PoA (film and novel) but it does make me wonder whether JKR debated the fate of Pettigrew for a while? Whether this interpretation of he's obviously evil look how he's enjoying/smiling inspired her to have him be aligned with evil to the end in DH? Lastly Radcliffe, well we have to listen to him scream and scream; which didn't feel like he was in all that much pain. It really felt faked. It's quite sad because he also had that Frozen Face Syndrome which really didn't sell that he was in pain. What's worst was his nigh comedic face of when Voldemort touched his scar where he had that "OOOOOOOOOOH" face which seemed more suited for a sitcom than absolute burning pain.

However he does redeem himself. By acting confused and completely scared in front when Voldemort releases him for the duel, he has that face of a deer in headlights. He's totally screwed and totally frightened with nothing to help him. In addition to his wonderful switch between fear and resolve when he was hiding behind the statue that was a good piece of acting.

Like I said before, Fiennes...makes this scene for me. I watched GoF for a second time and walked out of the theatre right after this scene so it goes to show how much I love this scene and pretty much dislike a portion of the film.

Things of Note

Old September 9th, 2007, 7:17 am
Fourth Year

I'm so glad you've kept this discussion up and running Darwin! This was the thread that made me want to join this forum and although I haven't been posting in it as much recently I have been reading, but since we're nearing the end I guess it's time for me too rejoin

I'll start talking about the last chapter first before I get into the greatness which is the graveyard scene. I loved the Maze scene because like you said it felt real. It was a tense scene from the moment the champions walked in front of the crowd. Dumbledore looks concerned oh and I agree the dubbing of Diggory saying 'My boy' bugs me aswell. The cannon gag was great imo and I loved Dumbledore's reaction aswell as Filch's. Moody pointing Harry in the right direction and Dumbledore's look as all this is going on is perfect in my opinion and then the hedges close.

Silence....wow...this is pretty creepy lol. My friends found it unbelievable that a hedge could block out sound but at the time I"m like "Well a wizard just got chased by a dragon, was breathing underwater, and fell into someone else's memory and you think THIS is unbelievable." lol But I won't repeat everything Darwin has said...good scene

Now to the graveyard scene. I remember when I first saw it I didn't know what to think. I just remember being...confused. I had no idea how I'd imagined Voldemort to act but I knew that wasn't it. I won't lie I was slightly disappointed...until I realized..wow that man is crazy. After I saw it the 2nd time I LOVED the scene because I got what Fiennes was doing with the role and I preferred it better than anything I possibly could've imagined.

'The Dark Lord Shall Rise Again'...I couldn't of said it better myself and that's one of my favorite lines in the movie series. I still laugh when I see Wormtail trailing the bone up the tombstone because originally they thought Voldemort 's father was the first name when it actuality it was his grandfathers name. Needless to say the whole Flesh, Bone, and Blood thing really came across well I think. I wondered how they would handle Wormtail cutting off his hand and I think cutting to Harry's reacting to it but getting a clear idea of what just happened was perfect.

The smoke becoming Voldemort's wadrobe is also a favorite thing of mine and just seeing him test out his new body....breathing in for the first time...opening is eyes...was done sooooo well. One thing I wish they would've done was to show Wormtail in more pain, I mean jeez he cut off his hand, but the focus is on Ralph once he takes the screen that you don't notice. The entrace of the Death Eaters was a genius idea imo and that form of apparation comes to play in the finale of Order of the Phoenix aswell.

The one thing that bugs me is it's obvious Voldemort went around and ripped the masks off of everyone, but we only see a select few. It's like 'how come everyone else is on the ground all of a sudden?" But for the sake of time I can understand it and Voldemort putting his foot on Cedrics face, such a total disregard for the dead, was a nice touch to the scene.

I don't know why but I love how he first addresses Harry. "Harry!" It was like he was happy to see him and the fact that he almost forgot he was there proves how wrapped up he was in everything else. He talks to Harry like they're old friends though and one thing that I love about Fiennes VOldemort is the mood swings. You do not want to make this man mad. He'll offer you to sit down for a cup of tea and BAM you're headless because you stepped on his Armani shoes...this man is truly crazy and he has it in for this little 14 year old kid.

I think that's probably what made me so unsure about the scene when I first saw it. I didn't "get" that he was having mood swings of sorts...I just thought 'This guy is all over the place" but it works so well. He knows how to charm people, get people to follow his cause, but at the same time they fear him because he'll snap in a second and kill you! I thought Voldemort touching Harry's scar was much better than him touching his cheek in the book. I mean it makes so much sense. I always laugh at how even with all his madness he still wants to follow the correct rules for dueling....hehehehe.

Dan's acting in this scene is pretty interesting. My favorite moment from him is when he's hiding behind the tombstone and you see in his eyes that he's making a decision. "Am I going to die hiding or fighting?" He WAS Harry in that moment which I probably can't say for the beginning of the scene. (I'd probably be trying to kick Voldemort the whole time since my legs were free ) I thought he pulled off the cruicio effect well aswell. I remember breathing in pretty hard when it happened and once again Voldemort walks up to him ever politly and tells him he's going to kill him. Not over the top, just simply put "I'm going to destroy you. -Smile- Then all of a sudden "GET UP!!!" hehehehe Also did anyone else notice the random clapping Death Eater? I've always found that pretty funny.

I'm not even sure I'm supposed to talking about this whole scene so forgive me Darwin if I'm going ahead (Feel free to send a Cruciatus curse my way and I'll shut up) Prior Incantatum was a scene I remember liking since first viewing. To me though, it seemed like Voldemort wasn't particularly clueless to what was going on. I loved how he stopped Lucius and the others from attacking Harry since he wanted to finish him and I think the music in this bit was the best in the whole scene. I won't lie, I felt my eyes get a little moist when his parents appeared beside him. Maybe it was the music, but I thought it was done beautifully. I like the sound the wands were making aswell and the kinda lava effect the spell had. HOw Cedric told Harry to take his body back...wow...I agree with Darwin the kid is good. He did so much with so little of a line. Well as we all know Harry breaks the connection, runs to Cedric's body and swoosh he's out of there with a touch of the portkey. I couldn't help but chuckle at Voldemorts scream of defeat since for some reason it reminded me of Darth Vaders horrible "Nooooooo" at the end of Episode Three when I first saw it

Last edited by Phrozenone; September 9th, 2007 at 7:21 am.
Old September 9th, 2007, 1:07 pm
Fourth Year

I really don't like the setting of the scene.
You can easily guess it's shot in a cheap studio location.
And all that fog, used to cover the studio walls, to give a feeling of open sky, was so patethically fake.
The cinematography in this scene is terrible, terrible, terrible!
That's the only thing that buggers me.
P.S: I was forgetting the Clapping Death Eater.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies