Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives

The Right To Vote, For Property Owners Only?

Old March 12th, 2009, 7:33 am
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: The Right To Vote, For Property Owners Only?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaszka View Post
Thank you very much.

Does anyone on here actually support restricting voting rights in this way?
Not that I can see. It'd be too unconstitutional to do so.

Old April 19th, 2009, 5:12 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ_Jup81 View Post
Not that I can see. It'd be too unconstitutional to do so.
I have read US Constitution cover to cover, and it provides no resolution to allow or deny a citizen the right to vote based upon property ownership. The only issues it directly addresses is sex, color, race, creed, age, literacy, citizenship, and they payment of taxes. Until 1790 only White-male property owning citizens had the vote, but it was not under a directive of the US Constitution. It was under a Federal Act.

Even if the Constitution did apply, in cases of voting The Constitution only provides up to the State Level. Where that sidewalk ends is a matter of interpretation. It may not apply to a municipal, county, or parish government.

Furthermore, I tried to look up case-law that may be controlling in these cases and can find nothing precedent setting that defines if property ownership can be a factor in the allowance of the vote.

If anyone can find some case-law on the subject, would you be so kind as to provide a link?

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.
Old April 19th, 2009, 6:37 pm
Renegade

I'm going to suggest the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

"A great democracy does not make it harder to vote than to buy an assault weapon."

~ President Bill Clinton ~
August 28, 2013
50th Anniversary of "I Have a Dream"

All opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect those of any political or government body.
Old April 19th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

First, The Voting Rights Act of 1965 is not a Constitutional Amendment, and secondly, it does not address ownership of property or land. It bans literacy requirements and poll taxes. Though it has been amended and extended numerous times it still does not address being a land or business owner in a community.

The problem the USA has had with controlling voting rights in the country is they only end up passing limited bans that pertain to specific means of withholding voting, such as literacy tests, and poll taxes. Now, if we can only get House Joint Resolution 28 passed, and on to the States for ratification we can get another Amendment to The Constitution, which will essentially pass blanket protection of voter rights, only narrowing it by age and, perhaps, criminal records.

When faced with a choice between two evils, I always choose the one I have never tried before.

Last edited by rigdoctorbri; April 19th, 2009 at 9:55 pm.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:41 pm
Third Year

I think it would be very hard to justify on a national level but I can see it on a local level when it comes to property taxes. A lot of pages back I spoke of a small town we lived in Vermont. It had a large trailer park and their property taxes were capped at, as I remember, $300. When the question came up over the purchase of a new snow plow they said "oh yeah, we need that". When the question came up of a new elementary school they said "oh yeah we need that". They did this over and over. Most of us understand personal responsibility. In our own home budgets we have things we want or perhaps even need but accept they are just not in our budget and pass. The responsibile property owners said no to things that were outside their budget but the people who would not have to pay outnumbered them and the items were bought. Soon the responsible people found just because of property taxes they could no longer afford their homes and left (we were among those). As our taxes approached $4000 per year it just became too much. We still have good friends there who tell us they have doubled in the 15 years since we left and the town is now running in the red. As the balance shifts it becomes even harder to get a vote to end the "entitlements". There were people in the trailers who through no fault of there own could do no better. The majority were people whose only ambition was to see how much they could get for the least amount. Before any of you jump in with some "race" remark let me add that the minority rate in Vermont at the time was 1/2 of 1% - that covers yellow, brown, black and green. They were white, able bodied people.

I see the laws concerning income taxes going the same route but unlike property taxes the solution of only property owners voting would be unfair. The situation of a small percentage having to carry others is the same and just as unfair. I'm all for helping those who need help that have made real effort to help themselves. Those who expect entitlements because they make bad decisions have no right to expect the rest of us to pay for those decisions. I would say 90% of the people on government aide fit into the latter category. So I don't agree, on a national level, voting should depend on property ownership but a system that rewards failure and punishes success is also unfair. I'm not smart enough to figure the solution and it seems politicians are more concerned with re-election than doing what is right so I don't know where a fair solution would ever come from.

If the Government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have.
Old April 19th, 2009, 11:24 pm
Purveyor of Prophesy

I am an advocate for vacating property taxes in favor of a direct municipal sales tax. This would ensure that those residing inside the city or county limits do pay taxes within, and that tax money can be directed and spread more evenly. If more cities did this, then you would have less of a reason to advocate voting only for property owners.

Old April 20th, 2009, 12:37 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigdoctorbri View Post
I am an advocate for vacating property taxes in favor of a direct municipal sales tax. This would ensure that those residing inside the city or county limits do pay taxes within, and that tax money can be directed and spread more evenly. If more cities did this, then you would have less of a reason to advocate voting only for property owners.
Is that kind of like the fair tax? Just noticed you're in Louisiana. We lived in Bossier City just outside Shreveport for 2 years.

If the Government is big enough to give you everything you want, it is big enough to take away everything you have.
Old April 20th, 2009, 3:39 am
Purveyor of Prophesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grams View Post
Is that kind of like the fair tax? Just noticed you're in Louisiana. We lived in Bossier City just outside Shreveport for 2 years.
yeah, kind of like the Fair Tax, but on a municipal level.

And yeah, I am in Lafayette Parish.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Non Harry Potter Archives