Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore

Old June 16th, 2011, 12:47 am
Fifth Year

Pottermore

I feel like there should be a new thread for this now that the name is officially out.

http://www.pottermore.com/

What do you guys think it is going to be? The Scottish Book/encyclopedia? A Facebook-style social networking site for HP fans? A MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game like World of Warcraft)?

The information about the Pottermore trademark is available on this site:

http://www.trademarkia.com/pottermore-77788415.html

And people who have had a sneak preview say only that it is "breathtaking in scope, detail and sheer beauty."

I, personally, am hoping beyond hope that it is the encyclopedia. But think it is much more likely the online role-playing game because the initials POTTERMORE could easily stand for something like Potter Multiplayer Online Role-playing Experience.

I met J. K. Rowling!

She said you should read my fanfics:
Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom • The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)
Regulus Kills Again (One-shot) • Lily Evans and the Golden Lyre

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:21 am
Registered Animagus

Re: Pottermore

Here is preview pictures of Pottermore:

http://harrypotterreviews.wordpress....rmore-preview/

Looks absolutely incredible. Breathtaking. Look at all that. This is more than I could have hoped for!

Old June 16th, 2011, 1:22 am
Second Year

Yeah, it could be an MMORPG, but I don't think that the name necissarily suggests that. Pottermore is a real word right (I think that it's a city or town or something) so it could just be a clever way of saying "More Potter", which could refer to something that has a bunch of new info on HP, or in other words the Encyclopedia.

The thing that makes me think that the MMORPG is maybe more likely is the statement that it is "breathtaking in scope, detail and sheer beauty." which sounds a lot like the environment and/or graphics of a huge video game.

But that could also possibly describe a huge internet based Encyclopedia with a bunch of pictures and a beautiful background and well designed system and all that kind of stuff.

Old June 16th, 2011, 1:25 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Here is preview pictures of Pottermore:

http://harrypotterreviews.wordpress....rmore-preview/

Looks absolutely incredible. Breathtaking. Look at all that. This is more than I could have hoped for!
All right, I'm sold. I said earlier that I wasn't too thrilled about this. But after seeing those pictures, I am bouncing up and down in anticipation. Not sure what kind of state I'll be in after this and the trailer tomorrow.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:31 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by capella_black View Post
I, personally, am hoping beyond hope that it is the encyclopedia. But think it is much more likely the online role-playing game because the initials POTTERMORE could easily stand for something like Potter Multiplayer Online Role-playing Experience.
I share your sentiments regarding the encyclopedia; however, I'm thinking it is an online role playing-type thing as well. Either way, it's going to be great to have more Potter. One can never have enough.

Pottermore Profile:
OwlPurple114
House: Ravenclaw
Wand Specifics: 12 1/4 in...Cedar...Phoenix Feather...Unbending

Proud Member of the House of Ravenclaw
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:36 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsDisciple View Post
But that could also possibly describe a huge internet based Encyclopedia with a bunch of pictures and a beautiful background and well designed system and all that kind of stuff.
I agree, whatever it is it will be freaking awesome. Jk is simply the best, and she loves us so very much. She knows we love to speculate so she has given us this.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:36 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dobson View Post
All right, I'm sold. I said earlier that I wasn't too thrilled about this. But after seeing those pictures, I am bouncing up and down in anticipation. Not sure what kind of state I'll be in after this and the trailer tomorrow.
Yeah, seriously, the pics definitely kicked my excitement about the online game possibility up a few notches. They are visually fantastic.

But the content?

From the first pic it looks like users can buy the books in the HP series. Don't we all have those already? It also says "Next Fireside Reading 20 June 2010" which definitely already passed. I'm confused.

The second pic says "Updated Encyclopedia Inside" .

Also: Live Fireside Reading with Stephen Fry, 7PM Every Sunday Next Chapter The Sorting Hat, Magical Talking Books Buy Now, Forum: Post Notices Below.

And the third pic has a bunch of fun wizarding book titles along with "Take a Writing Tutorial. Sit back and read stories written by other wizards or even write your own."

The menu bar at the top of the screens offers: Home, Encyclopedia, Pottercast, Community, Store. Also Login and Search.

So it looks like maybe Jo decided to release the Scottish Book as part of a fansite? It definitely looks like a totally awesome fansite she would have designed. And maybe this way it doesn't have to be a ten year project, she can just put out pieces of information as she completes those sections?

I don't know what to think, it's all so much to take in, haha.

I met J. K. Rowling!

Sirius Black and the Drapery of Doom • The Werewolf Prank (by capella_black and Arithmancer)

Pottermore: CatSnitch Black walnut with phoenix feather core, eleven inches, unyielding
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:46 am
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Yeah, seriously, the pics definitely kicked my excitement about the online game possibility up a few notches. They are visually fantastic.

But the content?

From the first pic it looks like users can buy the books in the HP series. Don't we all have those already? It also says "Next Fireside Reading 20 June 2010" which definitely already passed. I'm confused.

Remember, this is just a preview. I bet that date was just a test date for it. Or perhaps it was the date they started and/or made that part of the site.

Old June 16th, 2011, 1:49 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
So it looks like maybe Jo decided to release the Scottish Book as part of a fansite? It definitely looks like a totally awesome fansite she would have designed. And maybe this way it doesn't have to be a ten year project, she can just put out pieces of information as she completes those sections?
This would be great if she did that. I always wished that she did a lot more with her website. There never seemed to be as much information on it as we wanted to see.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:53 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Could it be a new, updated website? As SusanBones said, she hasn't done anything with the current one for a very long time.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98
Old June 16th, 2011, 1:54 am
Fifth Year

I am still loving the idea of the Scottish Book being released via this new website. The "Encyclopedia" link positioned prominently in all of these pictures is giving me serious hope. This is the only thing I can think of that would live up to the hype of being as exciting as a new book.

EDIT: Looks like we can also follow Pottermore on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/pottermore

I met J. K. Rowling!

Last edited by capella_black; June 16th, 2011 at 2:05 am.
Old June 16th, 2011, 2:08 am
Third Year

Okay...now I've actually analyzed these pictures after glancing at them quickly.
(here is the link again: http://harrypotterreviews.wordpress....rmore-preview/)

So, in the first one, why does it say "BUY NOW" with a sign pointing to the HP books? Is it actually advertising them? It seems like a site that only fans would use, so why would we need to buy the books?

In the second, it says "MAGICAL TALKING BOOKS BUY NOW" again pointing to the HP series. Does that mean audio books? I think it does because of that Stephen Fry poster. It looks like he's going to be "reading" the books "by the fireside at 7pm every Sunday." Sounds cool.

I find it funny how they've blurred a bunch of things, including the HP covers. Do they think we can't identify them?

Anyway, in the third, it gives you a shelf of books...I wonder if they contain material (which they probably do) and if JKR wrote them herself? That would be really, really awesome. Also, I love the idea of a Writing Competition, whatever that is!

Overall, this is looking really good and really detailed. I don't think I'll be able to get off of Pottermore for quite some time after it's put onto the web.

*Nikky wanted a mention*
Old June 16th, 2011, 2:29 am
Fifth Year

Oh yeah, I missed Writing Competition the first time. And I'm wondering about the Tutorials too, I wonder if JKR wrote them herself? That would be amazing!

And I just had another awesome idea: What if she's an actual presence on this fansite? Like, occasionally dropping in on the threads and answering questions from fans, that sort of thing? Now that she's not scrambling to finish the series and she doesn't have to keep any "you'll find out in book 7" secrets, that might not be as ludicrous an idea as it would have been a few years ago....

I met J. K. Rowling!

Old June 16th, 2011, 2:53 am
First Year

I always dreamed of an MMORPG for HP. DOnt know if this is exactly it but whatever it is it looks awesome.

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:09 am
First Year

oo so excited

wouldnt it be cool if it was like a 8th book to inform us whats going on with the characters and see how the kids are in hogwarts and that type of stuff

i know she said no 8th book in the future but who knows, maybe a ploy to suprise

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:13 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRemix View Post
oo so excited

wouldnt it be cool if it was like a 8th book to inform us whats going on with the characters and see how the kids are in hogwarts and that type of stuff

i know she said no 8th book in the future but who knows, maybe a ploy to suprise
Specifically said that it wasn't a new book, but something equally exciting. The only reason that people are suggesting that it is the Encyclopedia is that an Encyclopedia doesn't have to be in a book form (ie. Wikipedia, Britannica online, ect.) and in fact an online Encyclopedia might be better in some ways.

Not that I wouldn't want more books Would be pretty aweseome.

WANT NEW BOOK!!!

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:22 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionsDisciple View Post
Specifically said that it wasn't a new book, but something equally exciting. The only reason that people are suggesting that it is the Encyclopedia is that an Encyclopedia doesn't have to be in a book form (ie. Wikipedia, Britannica online, ect.) and in fact an online Encyclopedia might be better in some ways.

Not that I wouldn't want more books Would be pretty aweseome.

WANT NEW BOOK!!!
oh :/ haha but you never knoww..

im excited either way, a MMOPG would be amazing also

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:35 am
Fourth Year

This is going to be epic. whats with the name though?

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 16th, 2011, 3:37 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
no one knows yet.. hopfuly sooonnn

Old June 16th, 2011, 3:38 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
I assume like Harry Potter forever more- shortened down to Pottermore? After all this site will probably not come out until after the last movie. Just my guess though

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References