Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore

Old June 21st, 2011, 11:59 am
Fifth Year

Re: Pottermore

For those keeping track there are now 25 owls not including the one flying in the background or the profile one.

Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:11 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevelbusSnumble View Post
I know it doesn't really mean much but has anyone noticed the Like/Dislike bar!?

122 likes (and ~30/40 dislikes!) why would people dislike it!? lol. Also looks like the "video" has between 20,004-29,994 views! haha.

I'll probably be wasting my time but theres 20 minutes left until more owls turn up on the page, I'm going to see if they fly in and onto the branches or if they just appear upon refreshing the page!

EDIT*

THERE ARE NOW 27 OWLS ON THE YOUTUBE PAGE!

27!!
How did you figure out when the owls come in? Do they show up one at the time at certain times?

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:19 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
How did you figure out when the owls come in? Do they show up one at the time at certain times?
I (rather sadly)was watching the page at 12 noon (UK time) and as the clock flipped over to 1 day whatever the owls kind of materialised didn't have to re-fresh the page or anything they just appeared. Would like to add that somebody yesterday mentioned they appeared at 12 I haven't been watching the site for hours on end honest

Last edited by beth83; June 21st, 2011 at 12:22 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 12:31 pm
First Year

Not long to go! I'm so excited.

Old June 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83 View Post
I (rather sadly)was watching the page at 12 noon (UK time) and as the clock flipped over to 1 day whatever the owls kind of materialised didn't have to re-fresh the page or anything they just appeared. Would like to add that somebody yesterday mentioned they appeared at 12 I haven't been watching the site for hours on end honest

I sometimes leave the site open on a background tab and forget it's there... then I close other windows and there it is!

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old June 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisl_Loveheart View Post
I just realised that this must be when they appear since its the time of the announcement on Thursday! Just made sense that they would appear every time the day count lowered as it would be easier to script in the Flash content (correct me if i'm wrong ) than have the owls appear at all random times that aren't important, compared to having them appear every time a day passes to the exact time of the announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth83
Strange...I didn't see the owls appear at 12 noon, maybe it was something to do with my browsers flash or I just didn't wait long enough

Last edited by SevelbusSnumble; June 21st, 2011 at 1:38 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 1:39 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
I just realised that this must be when they appear since its the time of the announcement on Thursday! Just made sense that they would appear every time the day count lowered as it would be easier to script in the Flash content (correct me if i'm wrong ) than have the owls appear at all random times that aren't important, compared to having them appear every time a day passes to the exact time of the announcement
Yeah, that is what I think too. Once it goes to... "72 hours", "48 hours", "24 hours", the owls probably come in. That'd be very easy to do in a Flash-based script.

The countdown will end like at... 6:00AM my time, I think.. I usually get up a little after 6:00! Guess I'll need to set my alarm clock Wednesday night to like... 5:30!

Currently Working On:
What Next? (Sequel to "What If?")

Story:
Update: Chapter 13 up!
Feedback

Old June 21st, 2011, 1:45 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury View Post
Yeah, that is what I think too. Once it goes to... "72 hours", "48 hours", "24 hours", the owls probably come in. That'd be very easy to do in a Flash-based script.

The countdown will end like at... 6:00AM my time, I think.. I usually get up a little after 6:00! Guess I'll need to set my alarm clock Wednesday night to like... 5:30!
Yeah it makes sense Well we know when they appear, and tomorrow's the last time more will appear!

Oh, I live in the UK! (~50 miles from Edinburgh ) so I'll have to wait until noon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Godric View Post
Does anyone know for a fact whether the Do Not Disturb sign was off the door prior to the release of the "Pottermore" name?
The DO NOT DISTURB sign has been there at least 3 years! Meaning if you had went to that door on any date since ~2008 up till now and set the time turner to that days date...the DO NOT DISTURB sign will appear. If you reverse the time turner to previous date that the door had been opened, you will see the door open with the content that was revealed on that date. If you put forwarded it past the last time the door opened to whatever date it was you visiting the door then the door would be locked with the sign on it. It has no fixed date...So i'm led to believe that this might just be a glitch in the websites coding. Unless J.K.Rowling will have a use for it in the future.

Related to Pottermore? I think not. All we have officially from J.K.Rowling on Pottermore is the website, YouTube page, Pottermore Twitter account. She hasn't mentioned it on her website at all.

Last edited by SevelbusSnumble; June 21st, 2011 at 6:24 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 1:56 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie330 View Post
It works! Yay!

JK is known to be on the Pottermore forums from time to time. For all we know you could be Rowling.
Did she really say she visits this site? lol

Old June 21st, 2011, 2:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliell View Post
Did she really say she visits this site? lol
I wouldn't put it past her! I'm sure she peeks about reading forums She might be reading this very thread at the moment for all we know!! HELLO JO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie330
It works! Yay!

JK is known to be on the Pottermore forums from time to time. For all we know you could be Rowling.
Pottermore forums? There isn't such thing at the moment. Do you mean CoS forums, or another HP Fansite forum?

Last edited by SevelbusSnumble; June 21st, 2011 at 2:03 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 2:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
I wouldn't put it past her! I'm sure she peeks about reading forums She might be reading this very thread at the moment for all we know!!
Haha Hi Jo!!!

Old June 21st, 2011, 2:09 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape/Trapdoor Champion

I don't care what it is! Anything 'Harry Potterish' would do. The final movie almost seems like an end of an era for me. I just want the legacy to grow and continue with possibly a book in the future to boot as well.

I cried, when I saw the "It all ends!" banner!!

But now I know, it never will....
Old June 21st, 2011, 2:20 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

I made a couple of avatars from the little owls if anyone wants to use them:

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old June 21st, 2011, 2:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I made a couple of avatars from the little owls if anyone wants to use them:

Oh wow! Those avatars are so cool

I'm finally done with my exams now so I'm enjoying reading through all the new comments and watching the youtube page intently

I loved that idea about the mountain with Harry's face carved in by JKR herself I'd definitely visit, along with the theme park! I'll need to save up some pennies though!

I really do wonder what all those numbers mean on the youtube page. I just can't wait now! Just for fun, using the 0.09/1.13 number, I picked up the first book (UK version) and flipped through to chapter nine (0.09) and found page 113 (1.13) which actually falls in chapter 9. On the first line at the top it says:
Quote:
He didn't have a clue what was going on...
I think that fits

Old June 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm
Second Year

A good choice in owls. However, maybe they could do a tawny owl. 'Course, maybe the type of owl matters? I dunno. But I like the barn owls.

Note: The icon changed back to a wizard's hat. Will this keep changing?

"It's lucky it's dark. I haven't blushed so much since Madame Pomfrey told me she liked my new earmuffs."
Old June 21st, 2011, 3:15 pm
Second Year

Weird... in my american paperback copy, its the beginning of the chapter, The Sorting Hat.

Please be an mmo. I will be really disapointed if it isnt now. JK why do you do this to us?

Mai fan fics... let me show you them. (click the spoiler tag!)

Ravenclaw and proud
until JK puts me in Hufflepuff...
Old June 21st, 2011, 3:18 pm
First Year

Ok, so I thought I would do a summary for us all because so many ideas have been posted!

Ok so we have frozen numbers, more owls gathering and falling leaves.

The numbers on the youtube video!
50 -- videos
0:09/1:13 -- time video holds at
Feb. 4 or 2/4 -- upload date (notice no year is selected)
217,394 -- page views
122 -- likes
25 -- dislikes
6/23/11 -- date of release

Owl Count Date!
6/16: 5
6/17: 7
6/18: 11
6/19: 15
6/20: 20
6/21: 25

One very strong clue - since the video seems to be in Flash and thus you can't click "like" or "dislike," these numbers definitely seem to carry a clue.

Some possibilities to ponder: 50 is the number of people we know were killed fighting Voldemort in the Battle of Hogwarts. And 122-25='97, or the year "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" was published.

Date is 4th February, which is when Septimius Severus died. Plus, the timer says 0:09/1:13 -- and 9/1, or January 9th, is Severus Snape's birthday. Also, in some areas, 9/1 means 1 September, the first day of school at Hogwarts. The year of 2013 could indicate the beginning of the next generation at school.

What Pottermore could stand for:
Potter - Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Experience
Potter - Multimedia Online Resource Encyclopedia

We have had ideas on Potter's face being carved into a mountain lol, (like rushmore), a place to help up and coming authors, a place like facebook but Harry Potter themed. A muesum, MMORPG, or a place where JK can interact with us herself and ask us what we want adding into the "Scottish Book".

I also have been looking into the date February 4th:
2004 facebook a mainstream online network is founded.
^Thought that was interesting as it has been suggested this could be like facebook.

http://www.morepotter.com and http://www.pottermore.com point at the same server.

Anything I have missed?

Last edited by MollysHowler; June 21st, 2011 at 5:16 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 4:13 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by acciowinter View Post
I am really fond of the Mt Rushmore idea someone proposed on here. I think if that is true I will be travelling there this summer. You know...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollysHowler View Post
We have had ideas on Potter's face being carved into a mountain lol, (like rushmore)

You all know I was being facetious about the Mt. Rushmore thing, right?
Please see the Department of Magical Repairs. There are some broken sarcasm detectors around here.

Old June 21st, 2011, 4:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatheringOwls
I really do wonder what all those numbers mean on the youtube page. I just can't wait now! Just for fun, using the 0.09/1.13 number, I picked up the first book (UK version) and flipped through to chapter nine (0.09) and found page 113 (1.13) which actually falls in chapter 9. On the first line at the top it says:
Quote:
He didn't have a clue what was going on...
I think that fits
I just checked my copy and this is right! Chapter 9 (The Midnight Duel) has page 113 in it and says exactly that! First line infact! Maybe that's what it is! I know it won't work out on books from other countries, but the only book J.K.Rowling would go by is the UK one, after all it is the original! Wouldn't rule it out! It's little things like this that J.K.Rowling would do!

Perhaps this could also tie in with the idea that I posted yesterday about the similarities between Harry finding out he was a wizard and us finding out what Pottermore is? He didn't know what was going on when all the owls and letters turned up! This also happens in the first book, which is where this quote tied to Chapter 9/Page 113 comes from!

Last edited by SevelbusSnumble; June 21st, 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 4:36 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMaudlin View Post

You all know I was being facetious about the Mt. Rushmore thing, right?
Please see the Department of Magical Repairs. There are some broken sarcasm detectors around here.
Sarcasm is easily misunderstood, certainly on a big international forum with a considerable number of members that speak English as their second language. So it's better to use it as little as possible because you can't expect people to understand it all the time

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References