Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Rate and review the last book you read

Old February 5th, 2012, 11:38 am
Malum Veneficus

Re: Rate and review the last book you read

Anne of Green Gables - L.M. Montgomery, 9/10. I don't know what to say about this book, except that I enjoyed every bit of it. In all books there always comes a bit where I might not bother reading things deeply, and just skim through long paragraphs of description. In this book, however, I think I read it from beginning to end, with the same level of interest, .
I especially loved the dialogue in this book - it's definitely a strong point with the author; many important incidents were recounted in the form of dialogue instead of being shown first-hand. Also, it felt as though each character in the book had its own distinctive voice, that could almost be heard as the characters talked.
I liked the characters a lot, Anne most of all, of course. She is definitely a remarkable lead character, .

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2012, 11:43 am
Second Year

The Nightmare Garden by Caitlin Kittredge (The Iron Codex #2), 3/5

I really wanted to love this book, but I didn't. The main character won't take any help that is offered to her and she's so annoyingly stubborn that I wanted to slap her. I didn't like what happened near the end (WHY?!), but even though I wasn't blown away by this book, I'm looking forward to reading book 3, mainly because I want to find out how everything will end/be resolved.

Old February 7th, 2012, 5:29 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

10/10 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Another of my favorites of the series, tied with Prisoner of Azkaban. I love all the back story on Lord Voldemort as Tom Riddle. It makes us see how he became what he is. My favorite chapter is when we see the memory of Tom applying for the teacher's post with Dumbledore. I also love that Dumbledore took the time to show Harry all these memories and knew how important they were. And of course, the mystery surrounding Draco Malfoy, Snape's part in it, and of course Snape being the Half-Blood Prince.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old February 7th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Second Year

Hounded by Kevin Hearne (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1), 4/5

This was a pleasant surprise! I loved the humor in this fast paced, witty urban fantasy. Looking forward to reading book 2!

Life's A Witch by Brittany Geragotelis, 1.5/5

If I hadn't been reading this book on my Kindle, I'd have thrown it across the room. The main character is completely stuck up and full of herself. The minor characters fall completely flat and blend together because they don't have a personality. The solutions to the problems in this story are found with the snap of a finger. And don't even get me started on the insta-love.. 0.5 stars higher than I would initially give it because I kinda liked the prologue (which, ironically, is the part of the story where our main character isn't introduced yet. Bliss!)

Old February 9th, 2012, 11:26 am
Malum Veneficus

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver. I had very high expectations for this book, and unfortunately it left me deeply disappointed, . The main characters were very unlikeable, in my opinion, they were terribly awful to other people, and I found it extremely annoying how the main character keeps making fun of others, actually comparing them to animals (in her head, but I found it annoying). I didn't find it exactly enjoyable to read the same events repeatedly; true with various changes, but all leading up to the same results. It did develop and change the protagonist's character, but again, not in the way I would have imagined it would. It's a creative idea, and sometimes it wasn't difficult to sympathise with the main character, even though I didn't like her. It's just the fact that, halfway through the book, it's obvious that the character won't be able to 'fix' things - not to mention that, like the main character, I was hoping to get some explanation for what was actually happening to her (some of it never made sense to me; like the whole thing about the girl taking the last spot in the parking lot, why was she so worried about that? ), which of these days counted, which one of them was the real day - the one the normal people would have lived and experienced like her. I know what matters is what she had done and not people's reaction to it, but still..
There were parts of this book that kept me interested and looking forward to know what happens next, but most of the time I didn't find it that interesting.
5/10.

Old February 9th, 2012, 3:59 pm
First Year

The last one from the Millenium saga 10/10.
I love how Stieg's characters feel real, and the plot is great. My favorite character of all times is in that saga: Lisbeth Salander

Old February 9th, 2012, 7:27 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Finished Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins yesterday. I give it 4/5. It's really good but I didn't think it matched the level of The Hunger Games, which is why I can only give it 4 stars instead of the full 5.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 10th, 2012, 1:34 pm
Second Year

Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow (Strange Angels, #1), 4/5

Fast paced, full of action and excitement. I loved the chemistry between the main character and the two guys. Looking forward to reading book 2!

Nightshade by Maryrose Wood (The Poison Diaries, #2), 4/5

This one read much quicker than the first installment in the series, and I really really like it! I didn't expect to like these books as much before I started reading them, but they have pleasantly surprised me.

Old February 11th, 2012, 3:04 am
Fourth Year

Mokingjay. 7/10. Liked it. Didn't end in the best way. Katniss was too depressing for my liking.

Gryffindor on Pottermore & CoS.
Wand: 12 1/2 in, Apple, Dragon, Pliant
Old February 16th, 2012, 6:53 pm
BANNED... No really they are...

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder. 7/10.

It was a pretty interesting read. The protagonists were fun as were the secondary characters. It's the first book in a series so no real action occurred, but it was interesting nonetheless. I'm excited about the sequel!

ALL HAIL THE PIXIE QUEEN TINKIE!!
Mave, RN.
Winner of Happiest Hoggie Award (2011).
Old February 16th, 2012, 7:19 pm
MODLY CREW

The Swimming Pool by Alan Hollinghurst; probably a 7/10

It's an easy and interesting read and it is rare that the one thing I like best about a novel is the ending. It came as quite the shocker. But there were passages that felt a little indulgent and it didn't engage me enough to really make me want to read till the end (and I would have missed something!).

Old February 17th, 2012, 4:58 pm
Fourth Year

An Abundance of Katherines by John Green, I spent most of this book undecided as to what I thought of it. I think the main problem was I wanted to know more about the Katherines, given the title, and didn't really get the answers I was looking for until towards the end of the book. The end did make it up for me though. The book is quite slow paced but once some stuff actually started to happen towards the end of the story I could appreciate the rest of the book more and I liked the characters. 3.5/5

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old February 17th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Second Year

The 13th Horseman by Barry Hutchison, 3.5/5

Quite a nice middlegrade adventure kind of story. The storyline was a bit predictable, BUT I really liked the characters - Pest was one of my faves, but War had his moments as well. Nice and easy read

Touch of Power by Maria V. Snyder (Avry of Kazan/Healer, #1), 5/5

My first Maria V Snyder book - and I loved it! I loved the bickering between Avry and Kerrick and most of all I loved Belen. Very much looking forward to reading book 2!

Old February 18th, 2012, 6:51 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Just finished Mockingjay. 5/5 I don't know what to think. Wow.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old February 18th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Sixth Year

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1st book) by Douglas Adams

4/5

I love the humor. The only reason I gave it a 4 is that I'm not quite used to the writing style and the way Adams almost jumps around in his story, making a bit hard to follow.

And may the odds be ever in your favor!

Don't Britta it. Watch Community on NBC

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old February 20th, 2012, 2:42 pm
Malum Veneficus

The Maze Runner - James Dashner, 6/10. I liked the idea but not the writing. It didn't help that the first half of the book was all things along the lines of 'Stop talking, you don't understand anything'. There were some interesting plot twists, half way through, that made helped me get into the story. I found the end interesting, as well, and I hope it means that the next book in the series will be better.

Old February 20th, 2012, 3:29 pm
MODLY CREW

The Loom of Youth by Alec Waugh gets an 8/10

It's not the perfect novel but it's a touching and thought-provoking one with lots of melancholy and pessimism added into the mix of schoolboy shenanigans.

Old February 21st, 2012, 7:33 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

Only In London by Hanan Shaykh - 2/5

Old February 21st, 2012, 5:32 pm
Second Year

The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness (Chaos Walking, #2), 4.5/5

GREAT read. Even better than book one, if you ask me. I loved that I wasn't able to tell what happened until the very end. I loved the suspenshun (hah!) and I la-la-love Todd.

Old February 21st, 2012, 8:26 pm
Seventh Year

James Potter and the Hall of Elder's Crossing by G. Norman Lippert

7 of 10
Initially thought it was James Potter Sr. but turns out it was little ol' James Jr., Harry's son. Story was good, engaging, loved the introduction of the new course, "Technomancy" Story was slightly transparent in areas and the christmas chapter was very indulgent (there only to give the reader time with Old Harry, Old Ginny, Old Hermione and Old Ron) and could have been cut; the only thing that happened in that chapter to move the story further could have been handled differently. Am a little skeptical of the ending but I have yet to read the next two in the series.

http://www.jamespotterseries.com/muggle_index.html

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction