Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand

Future Novels in the Harry Potter World v.2

Old February 28th, 2012, 8:58 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Future Novels in the Harry Potter World v.2

This thread is to discuss whether it would be possible for JK to write future novels, maybe even some specific character stories, such as ones about Dumbledore, Snape or other established adult characters, or maybe some new ones?

Last couple of posts from version one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna_lana_HP View Post
well she sayd she might write a few other books. i hope she does. she doesnt have to write about harry potter exactly but maybe about their kids, how they live in todays days and start a complitly new Saga with it. it would be amazing to see that she hasnt just complitly stopped talking about that magical world that not only I but million of kids grew up. she should write!

oh i forgot to mention, it would be good to write a book or too about the founders of Hogwards... you know their story so we know how they came up. how the whole wizardly world started how it was created...

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
She's recently signed a contract with Little, Brown to write a novel for us adult fans, possibly a mystery. IMO there will be no more HP books.

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2012, 4:44 pm
Second Year

Re: Future Novels in the Harry Potter World v.2

I have to admit, I'm quite intrigued by the new adult book. We know next to nothing about it, but that it will be coming out somewhat soon.

As for books that could be of some sort of continuation to Harry Potter- I think it will become much more plausible after this new book comes out. Something tells me that because it is not a Harry story that it really cannot rise up to the expectation levels that people have and it may turn her attention back towards the world of Hogwarts. It really isn't Harry's world, but more that of the Magical World. I would love to read more, as I love her sense of humor and her style grew a ton as she wrote. The level of writing from Philosopher's Stone to Deathly Hallows was a vast improvement and something I hope to be able to do as I grow in my own writing.

sweet site and good people there about anything narnia

Here is my salute to Fred and George Weasley You guys rock

Please visit my blog:
tsgraveline.blogspot.com I'm a prospect author who's written 1 book that is in the editing process and have started the 2nd. As a Harry fan, I know people here will love my story too.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 5:49 pm
Second Year

I'm looking forward to her new book, but would be extra special is if it's a crime novel set in the magical world. Instead of a detective as the main character, it could be an Auror. A serial based on Moody or Kingsley at work....mmmm....

I'm just wishing at this point. If it was actual spectulation, it'd go over in the thread for her new book. I'm just thinking about all the adult books based on the adult characters in the HP world she could write. Like the following one-shots.
  • A novel based on Arthur & Molly, from their early relationship to raising Bill.
  • Prisoner of Azkaban from Snape's POV
  • A story about a professor at a school in America, New Zealand, or China. I'll take Beauxbatons or Durmstrang too, but I want to learn about more schools.
  • An account of an earlier Triwizard championship
  • A story based on a adult who was a first-year during the Battle of Hogwarts, leaving them deliciously scared. Or Dennis Creevy, since he was only 14. How he dealt with life at Hogwarts, his parents, etc. Maybe go to a Muggle high school because the memories are too painful and to spend more time with hs parents but the story begins when he's 18 or 19 and trying to assimilate back into the wizarding world because he still hasn't found himself.

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm

Last edited by MissMarauder; March 2nd, 2012 at 6:17 pm. Reason: clairification
Old March 2nd, 2012, 6:11 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Just a heads up, JKR´s new book which has nothing to do with the HP world should be discussed at JK Rowling announces new book

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old March 2nd, 2012, 7:07 pm
The Potions Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
As for books that could be of some sort of continuation to Harry Potter- I think it will become much more plausible after this new book comes out. Something tells me that because it is not a Harry story that it really cannot rise up to the expectation levels that people have and it may turn her attention back towards the world of Hogwarts.
So if we don't buy the new book, we increase our chances that JKR will write another Potterverse book? Hmmm....

I was actually thinking about this topic this morning. What I would really like is a book from Dumbldore's prespective explaining everything that was going on in the background.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old March 9th, 2012, 4:38 am
First Year

I think it would be totally awesome if JK wrote a book about Dumbledore's life.

Old March 28th, 2012, 3:49 pm
Seventh Year

Continued from the James thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
I am of the opinion that JKR should write a whole prequel series where each book is titled "James Potter and the ____". Certainly their life seemed eventful enough to write a few books about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEd View Post
Im guessing it would be predictable since we know what happens at the end, James & Lilly die, Sirius goes to prison, Wormtail escapes etc... Now i guess it would be interesting to read how they spent their 7 years becoming animagi or how they made maradeurs map etc... they did a lot of cool things.
Btw sorry im totally off topic here.

Not James fault of dath of his family
I think that while, yes, we "know what happens" in the end, if she, or indeed a fan, wrote the series so the primary question tying the stories together isn't a "known" or a "given" it could still be an interesting series. For example, the series could not be about whether James and Lily would fall in love; we know they do so there's no drama. The series could not be about whether Snape will become a Death Eater; we know he will. The series could not be about whether Voldemort will achieve ultimate power; we know he will eventually succomb to his own arrogance and be blasted apart on October 31, 1981 and that he will eventually return and be defeated by Harry.

HOWEVER...

All of these things could be folded into the larger framework of a story with a different plot question. You can still answer the unknowns or at least explore them; what was it about Peter that allowed him to switch loyalties? Did Snape continue to try and atone for his behaviour toward Lily at the end of his fifth year? Did Lily really stop caring about Snape full stop after the events of SWM or did she find it hard to watch him, in her mind, ruin his life? What were the events that led up to Lily's softening towards James and their eventual falling in love? How did both James and Lily lose their parents by the time they were 21? How did their parents feel about them marrying so young? Was the order of operations really marriage, pregnancy, birth, death or was pregnancy a motivator for getting married in the first place??

None of those things could really be the central idea of the story but they can be integrated and character motives in these moments explored more deeply. I kind of view a potential Marauder-era series as the fictional equivalent of the Batman Begins film series; you know where the series is leading (to the rise of Batman as the protector of Gotham) but you get to explore more in depth why he wants to do this, what motivates him, how others feel about his actions, how the character develops into the one you know as the Caped Crusader, how his enemies develop, how he first meets them, etc. You get to see Gotham before Batman swoops in to restore law and order.

I, personally, think there's a lot of unmined gold in the Marauder era and that there would certainly be enough to write a series about.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; March 28th, 2012 at 3:56 pm.
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:46 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
None of those things could really be the central idea of the story but they can be integrated and character motives in these moments explored more deeply. I kind of view a potential Marauder-era series as the fictional equivalent of the Batman Begins film series; you know where the series is leading (to the rise of Batman as the protector of Gotham) but you get to explore more in depth why he wants to do this, what motivates him, how others feel about his actions, how the character develops into the one you know as the Caped Crusader, how his enemies develop, how he first meets them, etc. You get to see Gotham before Batman swoops in to restore law and order.
I agree. The JP series would not have a specific mission to accomplish like the HP series had (which was to destroy Voldemort). JP would be more about exploring the daily life and the atmosphere of the era more closely because the JP era was like the deep breath to HP's plunge. It would be like setting the stage for HP. Sort of like The Hobbit to LOTR or X-Men Origins to X-Men. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with books which aren't mission-oriented but are, instead, simply explorations of people's characters, their motives, society etc etc.

Quote:
You can still answer the unknowns or at least explore them; what was it about Peter that allowed him to switch loyalties? Did Snape continue to try and atone for his behaviour toward Lily at the end of his fifth year? Did Lily really stop caring about Snape full stop after the events of SWM or did she find it hard to watch him, in her mind, ruin his life? What were the events that led up to Lily's softening towards James and their eventual falling in love? How did both James and Lily lose their parents by the time they were 21? How did their parents feel about them marrying so young? Was the order of operations really marriage, pregnancy, birth, death or was pregnancy a motivator for getting married in the first place??
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Though, I'm pretty sure the sequence was marriage, pregnancy, birth, death and not scrambled up cause the wizarding world seemed a lot more traditional when it came to these sorts of things.

Also, whose POV would this series be from? Since this hypothetical series would be the prequel to the HP series, I think it would either be James or Lily. I, personally, would like it to be James cuz his life just seemed more eventful and fun. Also, we got the feel of Lily's home life in HP whereas we have no idea about James's. Plus, it would be interesting to see how JKR handles a protagonist who does not immediately garner as much sympathy as Harry does. A James POV series would really give us insight into a developing character.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:59 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
So if we don't buy the new book, we increase our chances that JKR will write another Potterverse book? Hmmm....

I was actually thinking about this topic this morning. What I would really like is a book from Dumbldore's prespective explaining everything that was going on in the background.

I would love to see how Dumbledore "watches" Harry.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I agree. The JP series would not have a specific mission to accomplish like the HP series had (which was to destroy Voldemort). JP would be more about exploring the daily life and the atmosphere of the era more closely because the JP era was like the deep breath to HP's plunge. It would be like setting the stage for HP. Sort of like The Hobbit to LOTR or X-Men Origins to X-Men. I, personally, don't see anything wrong with books which aren't mission-oriented but are, instead, simply explorations of people's characters, their motives, society etc etc.
To a lesser extent this is like how the book Interview with the Vampire works; it doesn't have a driving plot, it's more just the life story of an incredibly interesting person. I think the movies The Duchess and The Young Victoria are like this, too. You know Victoria and Albert get married and spawn the 20th century's royalty. It's not like a mystery story where you wonder if the main character will find out who the criminal is or anything. I do think, though, a series based on James or Lily would need some sort of mystery-type plot element because this kind of story telling (the interesting life story) gets old after the first book; I wouldn't be able to tolerate seven books recounting James's life to me, something would need to happen.

Quote:
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Though, I'm pretty sure the sequence was marriage, pregnancy, birth, death and not scrambled up cause the wizarding world seemed a lot more traditional when it came to these sorts of things.
Who knows. We see the wizarding world through the eyes of a teenaged outsider who has more important things to be getting on with. Personally I don't see how the wizarding world would be immune to things like underaged pregancy or premarital... activities. (am I tredding too close to the family friendly line?)

Quote:
Also, whose POV would this series be from? Since this hypothetical series would be the prequel to the HP series, I think it would either be James or Lily. I, personally, would like it to be James cuz his life just seemed more eventful and fun. Also, we got the feel of Lily's home life in HP whereas we have no idea about James's. Plus, it would be interesting to see how JKR handles a protagonist who does not immediately garner as much sympathy as Harry does. A James POV series would really give us insight into a developing character.
I could see a series written from several POVs including James, Lily, Snape, Peter, Sirius, Remus, heck, maybe even Regulus. It wouldn't have to follow the same format at the HP books which are fairly strictly limited omniscient from Harry's POV, though they do stray to include moments from Frank Bryce, Fudge, Snape and even Hermione in PS/SS.

I think most fans who would read the series would primarily be interested in James and/or Lily's POVs.

James is interesting in that he would be seeing the wizarding world from the eyes of a pureblood, one who already knows a lot about the wizarding world; plus, as you mention, we don't get much of him in the HP series so it would cool to get to know him better as a character.

Lily would be interesting in that she sees the world not just as a newbie muggleborn but from the "underclass," the POV of the mudblood. She would experience the prejudices and danger of that time much differently that James would, or any other character with some level of magic blood in them. Her POV would be most similar to Harry's in that she would have those awe and wonderment "I love magic" moments but I think in writing the series those kinds of moments could be sidestepped to a certain extent because we've already experienced them with Harry. It all comes down to how the author writes the moment.

Snape would be interesting as a character to follow, both in seeing his rationale in being friends with the two opposites of the spectrum a (mudblood and the mudblood-hunters) and in his interpretation of James and Lily's developing relationship. Could he see that they were good for each other or did he bury all of that in complete denial? Did he ever try to curry Lily's favor again or give it up as a lost cause the night he tried to apologize to her for calling her a mudblood? When did he become a Death Eater? Was he still in school when it happened?

Peter, too, would be interesting to follow; his thought processes, how far back his doubts were seeded, when his loyalties began to waiver, what it was that actually got him to switch sides. I think Peter would be the Snape-character of the Marauder series: the one with the biggest journey, the most dramatic changes from beginning to end, the most complex motives. Most fans seem to just hate him outright but I think he's fascinating and I think his motives would definitely be worth exploring.

Regulus is another one. What was he thinking? When did he join the Death Eaters? When did he turn on Voldemort? He's the yin to Peter's yang

Dang! This is getting me all excited about the possibilities! If only I didn't have a full time job and could overcome my crippling writer's block...

Old April 1st, 2012, 7:19 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
I do think, though, a series based on James or Lily would need some sort of mystery-type plot element because this kind of story telling (the interesting life story) gets old after the first book; I wouldn't be able to tolerate seven books recounting James's life to me, something would need to happen.
I think if there was going to be any books based in the Marauder era it would have to be when the first war with Voldemort is just starting to boil over. So I would mostly say their 7th year at Hogwarts and later? When we see all of the characters we know in this era get more involved in the war.

Quote:
I could see a series written from several POVs including James, Lily, Snape, Peter, Sirius, Remus, heck, maybe even Regulus. It wouldn't have to follow the same format at the HP books which are fairly strictly limited omniscient from Harry's POV, though they do stray to include moments from Frank Bryce, Fudge, Snape and even Hermione in PS/SS.
I could definitely see it written like this. I mean with Harry we're learning things as he learns things, but with these characters..We already know their story and where they end up. So getting POV from characters like Peter and Regulus would be interesting for example because we know where their loyalties lie in the end..But what led up to their eventually change?

Quote:
Regulus is another one. What was he thinking? When did he join the Death Eaters? When did he turn on Voldemort? He's the yin to Peter's yang
Regulus is just one of those characters you just want to have more of. Apart from that one chapter in DH, he's still kind of a mystery..imo.

Old April 1st, 2012, 9:23 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuStark View Post
I think if there was going to be any books based in the Marauder era it would have to be when the first war with Voldemort is just starting to boil over. So I would mostly say their 7th year at Hogwarts and later? When we see all of the characters we know in this era get more involved in the war.
I can see how starting from their first year (1971-ish) would be really interesting in showing the developing war around them and I think it would give weight to the end of their story in the early '80s in showing how bad it got in those intervening years. Harry's story, after all, didn't begin with Voldemort returning in GOF, it started with a servant trying to bring him back, then introduced us to the lengths he went to to ensure he could always inflict evil on people with his diary, then gave us the escape of his "most loyal servant" whom we come to see wasn't his servant at all... We could get a better idea of what his goals in the first war were - was he wanting to take over the Ministry? The U.K.? Europe? Did he want to kill all muggles and muggleborns or enslave them? Did he want to remain the overlord lurking in the shadows and never being discovered or was he aiming to become famous from the start?

Quote:
I could definitely see it written like this. I mean with Harry we're learning things as he learns things, but with these characters..We already know their story and where they end up. So getting POV from characters like Peter and Regulus would be interesting for example because we know where their loyalties lie in the end..But what led up to their eventually change?
You could write a series of stories - the same plot told from every character's perspective - or each year could be told from a different character's perspective - for instance Lily would be the primary POV for their first year, Remus for their second year, James for their third year, Sirius for the fourth, Snape for the fifth, Peter for the sixth and repeat a character or mix them all up for the seventh year... Personally, I think their seventh year would be fascinating from Snape's POV - seeing him watch James and Lily working together and falling in love while he's being pulled more and more toward joining the Death Eaters and having this huge internal conflict between what he wants and who he loves... That would be a great story.

Quote:
Regulus is just one of those characters you just want to have more of. Apart from that one chapter in DH, he's still kind of a mystery..imo.
I agree; I think Regulus could be a great narrator and/or central character for a Marauder-Era fic.

Old April 2nd, 2012, 1:15 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Personally, I think their seventh year would be fascinating from Snape's POV - seeing him watch James and Lily working together and falling in love while he's being pulled more and more toward joining the Death Eaters and having this huge internal conflict between what he wants and who he loves... That would be a great story.
Eh...I'd actually specifically want the seventh year to be from either James or Lily's POV. One of the biggest attractions of this Marauder-era series for me is the JL story. Sort of like a 'How HP Came to Be'. Sure, if it was from Snape's POV, we'd see they were together and we'd probably get a few scenes of them walking into the Dining Hall together or studying by the lake together etc. but I'd like to see the whole thing. Their thoughts, their private moments, their dreams, who made the first move (I'm hoping it was Lily ), their first date, their first everything. And that wouldn't be possible if it were written from the perspective of anyone other than them.

So, I'd like sixth year from Lily's POV to show her coping with the loss of her friendship with Snape and her developing feelings for James. Then, if sixth year is from Lily's POV, seventh year from James's POV is good for me. Plus, that would give us insight into these scuffles that he and Snape apparently continued to have through seventh year. Fifth year could be from Snape's POV since that seemed to be a praticularly eventful year for him - Lily's crush on James, the werewolf prank, his DE buddies developing their taste for the Dark Arts, Lily breaking it off with him etc. But then, I really wanted to see the moment when James, Sirius, and Peter finally managed to become Animagi, their first transformation and their reaction to each other's Animagus forms...Ughh, this is complicated.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Old April 2nd, 2012, 2:49 pm
First Year

Marauder era would be great book. But i dont think she needs to focus on that James & Lilly love story too much. There are plenty other interesting things they've done. It would explane many things about their life, also 7 years of advantures,pranks, how Lupin became werewolf, how they came up with maraduers map, how they became animagi, how James finaly got Lilly, how they joined order of phoenix and fighted Voldi....a lots of things. Only bad thing is that we know how every one of them ends up so it wouldnt be mysterious since we all know the end. It takes all the fun out of book.
Maybe thats why she doesnt want to write it.

Last edited by SlyEd; April 2nd, 2012 at 2:51 pm.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 3:48 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Eh...I'd actually specifically want the seventh year to be from either James or Lily's POV. One of the biggest attractions of this Marauder-era series for me is the JL story. Sort of like a 'How HP Came to Be'. Sure, if it was from Snape's POV, we'd see they were together and we'd probably get a few scenes of them walking into the Dining Hall together or studying by the lake together etc. but I'd like to see the whole thing. Their thoughts, their private moments, their dreams, who made the first move (I'm hoping it was Lily ), their first date, their first everything. And that wouldn't be possible if it were written from the perspective of anyone other than them.
That's kind of why I think a multi-POV story would be best because I would hate to lose the JL story told "from the inside" but I also want to know how Snape felt about the relationship. I'm a JL shipper all the way and kind of feel like Snape and Lily never would have worked out but I still find the dynamics of that three-way relationship fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyEd View Post
Marauder era would be great book. But i dont think she needs to focus on that James & Lilly love story too much. There are plenty other interesting things they've done. It would explane many things about their life, also 7 years of advantures,pranks, how Lupin became werewolf, how they came up with maraduers map, how they became animagi, how James finaly got Lilly, how they joined order of phoenix and fighted Voldi....a lots of things. Only bad thing is that we know how every one of them ends up so it wouldnt be mysterious since we all know the end. It takes all the fun out of book.

Maybe thats why she doesnt want to write it.
That's why I say that the story has to focus on something other than whether James and Lily fall in love or whether they'll die as a result of Voldemort hunting them, etc. And to be clear, we know they lived until 1981 but we don't know their emotional states, we don't know if they suffered any medical crises due to attacks, if they garnered any scars or major injuries, if either of them were kidnapped or tortured at any point, we don't know how or when they defied Voldemort - all we know is that they lived until Harry was a year old and that they were full time Order members. There's a lot of story that can still be told, the only requirement is that they live through it. That doesn't remove all capacity for drama, it just requires more creativity in writing dramatic stories about them.

Old April 6th, 2012, 9:09 am
First Year

i would love to read a book that was in Luna's persective. i would love to hear more about how she thinks about the world and her veiw on things. her mind is so unique that it makes her interesting

animagus:wolf. Patronus:wolf wand: Cedar, dragon heartstring. 14.5 inches
Old April 14th, 2012, 5:58 am
First Year

JK Rowling has confirmed that she is working on a Harry Potter encyclopedia.

What are you most looking forward to/hoping for in the encyclopedia?

Old April 19th, 2012, 4:57 am
Second Year

Every flavor beans.

Old April 19th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPELIAMUS View Post
Every flavor beans.
What more is there to know? They're Jelly Beans in every flavor...

Old April 20th, 2012, 3:55 am
Second Year

A list of every flavor, combination assessments when devouring multiple beans at once, any effects of mixing them with potions or other foods not necessarily as a whole but chopped into pieces, regional surveys with wizards and muggles on what is the most beloved bean and the least popular, the possibility of predicting a flavor as a result of a detailed analysis on each bean detecting common ingredients/formulas, a list of the best tasting homemade food items such as cakes that include specific beans, demonstrating the effects of shooting spells at beans and whether or not rebounds/absorptions would occur, changing the chemical aspects of a bean through freezing and melting which includes taste testing, investigating bean folklore such as jack and the beanstalk where the growth of a bean can result in further taste analysis on how much is too much thereby selling specific size beans as candy items in stores can result in good business.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Wand