Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Non-Fiction

Should you believe what you read?

Old December 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm
Second Year

Should you believe what you read?

Hello, I love to read fiction mostly but I do read some non-fiction. I was just wondering about if you think that just because some thing is nonfiction means you should believe it?

Just because something is marked non-fiction do you think that you should believe every thing in it? Non-fiction doesn't mean real or true it just means it's not a fictional story.

Do you think that nonfiction means that everything in it is true?

Poor iphone...

"Feel the fear and do it anyway because even though it's not too late now, someday it will be."

Last edited by Harry852; December 24th, 2008 at 11:45 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:05 am
Secret Keeper

Re: Should you believe what you read?

I used to read a lot of nonfiction, and while most of the information is fairly accurate, but especially in science, older books have some variations and scientists don't have everything right, and same in everything else. There are a lot of variations to many stories and supposed facts, so while doing research it's always good to get a lot of different sources

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 25th, 2008, 12:18 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

I don't think you should believe every nonfiction book you read. Some subjects deal with things that don't have a definite answer, like philosophy and certain sciences. Some nonfiction works are just people putting forth their own ideas.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old December 25th, 2008, 3:45 am
Qvack...

I think that nonfiction is based on fact, but the important thing to remember is that even purported non biased history books can show their true thoughts. It's opinion that rules current nonfiction, and I don't ever see that changing. Free speech is great, don't get me wrong- but nonfiction must be taken with a pinch of salt because people write primarily what they think. The facts behind something might be correct, but embellishments are a part of modern books.

I like that though, it allows me to read something and form my own opinions.

THE DUCK.

Old December 25th, 2008, 3:52 am
Secret Keeper

In other words, everything's biased no matter where you go so it's always good to get a second opinion

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 25th, 2008, 6:27 am
Conquering Reading Lists

You can't believe everything in non-fiction. A lot of these non-fiction works have foot notes and I think it is important to look into them.They tell you sources and help verify facts.

But like someone's said already, getting a second opinion is important. I've read so many books about the same issue( like partition of Indian and Pakistan, for example) and each book tells something new or contradicts the other book. So, always take it with a pinch of salt.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old December 25th, 2008, 6:34 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Absolutely not. Question everything, and if you come across a subject in a nonfiction book that you find interesting, research it further to find out what the real deal is.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old December 25th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Fourth Year

Take everythig with a pinch of salt (authors like to exaggerate), and do not trust anything to be true before you have further proof. That's my advise on non-fiction books.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 25th, 2008, 6:45 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
Absolutely not. Question everything, and if you come across a subject in a nonfiction book that you find interesting, research it further to find out what the real deal is.
Couldn't have put it better!

My Fanfic - The Silver Thread - (WIP) updated 03/07/09

Sig by the most professional, clever & witty Boushh
(Original photo-manipulation of AR by helin)
Old December 26th, 2008, 1:06 am
do you want fries with that?

Non-fiction does not equal truth. In many cases, it is the author's own opinion, perspective, or understanding. Mistakes also occur often in publishing, and are sure to appear in non-fiction. Always be apprehensive about what you read.

The Next Mesut ÷zil

(Although we must ignore the jersey)
Old January 17th, 2009, 12:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gipro2003 View Post
Non-fiction does not equal truth. In many cases, it is the author's own opinion, perspective, or understanding. Mistakes also occur often in publishing, and are sure to appear in non-fiction. Always be apprehensive about what you read.

I agree. Being a university student means I am constantly reading non-fiction and almost every book that is on the same subject has different facts and the author has put their own spin on the facts. Its actually pretty interesting to see how people can spin facts into something that fits each of their separate agendas

I think you're cool, and I'd like to be your friend
Old July 5th, 2009, 9:32 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliope View Post
Definitely. "Question everything" is my personal motto.

Even when reading books by people I know are considered experts on their subject, I still research further to make sure. No one is infallible. People make mistakes, and are driven by emotions and strong opinions, so books can be biased or they can be flat-out wrong, even if they sit in the non-fiction section.

That said, there is something to be said about the trustworthiness of the writer. For example, autobiographies are much more trustworthy than biographies written by a third party, IMO. Or, if a book has a thick section full of references, it is much more trustworthy than one with few. I take these things into account while reading a non-fiction book.

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old July 5th, 2009, 9:39 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
That said, there is something to be said about the trustworthiness of the writer. For example, autobiographies are much more trustworthy than biographies written by a third party, IMO.
Have to totally disagree. All autobiography and memoir are self-serving to a greater or lesser extent.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 5th, 2009, 9:50 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

IMO, memoirs in particular are usually written to be engaging stories, and so some details are likely to be exaggerated or emphasised and others omitted in order to keep the audience interested/stick to theme/etc.

Plus, much of how a situation is portrayed in the work likely reflects what the author thinks of the event, and may not be the objective truth (if there even is an objective truth).

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:06 am
Ordo Lebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
Have to totally disagree. All autobiography and memoir are self-serving to a greater or lesser extent.
Perhaps I shouldn't have said "much more trustworthy", as I don't believe either to be all that trustworthy. But bias can play a role in both autobiographies and biographies. The person writing the biography would have to have a strong opinion of the person to devote a book to them, and with any strong opinion comes a bias. And, naturally, some people writing autobiographies would want to paint a certain image of themselves for the public. I think it varies from person to person. Some will be brutally honest in self-reflection, whereas others will omit things they dislike. Same goes with biographies; some will weigh both sides of the story, whereas others will highlight the good or the bad to make the person out to be whatever they imagine them to be. I suppose I would just rather read the autobiography, considering if the person is being honest, the insight would be much greater.

That said, I don't really read either. The non-fiction I read is almost always about astronomy, physics, math, or general science. :P

Believe me. I never betrayed James and Lily. I would have died before I betrayed them.
Old July 5th, 2009, 10:17 am
Third Year

I think most non fiction books should be taken with a grain of salt. And utobiographies while they are more trustworthy, I think that they have variations too,. It all depends on the writer. Sometimed the writer may be too close to the subject and they do not manage to stay objective.

Like a wilful stray cat, full of pride and freedom... bearing wounds that can't be healed...
Old September 26th, 2009, 12:46 pm
Third Year

We shouldn't believe everyhting that is written and published. Instead, we should judge for ourselves whether a certain detail sounds accurate or not.

LUNA LOVEGOOD

unafraid to express her views

intelligent and artistically creative

comforting and understanding

willing to be brave

loyal to friends

How else could I admire her?
Old February 2nd, 2012, 5:30 pm
Second Year

A good many non-fiction books are opinions. You obviously can't agree with every opinion you come across. But some non-fiction is the reporting of observations of phenomena, and depending on the source, is more likely to be objectively accurate.

Old March 6th, 2012, 10:27 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyDreamsOn View Post
The person writing the biography would have to have a strong opinion of the person to devote a book to them, and with any strong opinion comes a bias.
They could just be offered a big fee and be indifferent about the subject. There's also the fact that a great many "autobiographies" are ghost-written.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:37 pm
Third Year

Sometimes its tempting to believe everything you read in a nonfiction book on the basis its nonfiction but you should still be careful. Non-fiction is meant to be accurate but sometimes it might not be (this is especially true for science because as technology and such improves, lots of new theories come up and the old ones are discarded). Another issue with nonfiction books is when they are presenting facts on a touchy subject (for ex. abortion): Although the facts may be accurate sometimes the author has a biased opinion and they'll present the facts (or they'll only present certain facts) in a way that agrees with their opinion. Thats not necessarily a bad thing but if your looking for a wide range of opinions and POVs, its best to look at different sources.

Last edited by asdfasdf17; August 12th, 2012 at 10:42 pm. Reason: changing 'there' to 'their' :)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Non-Fiction