Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy

Old March 5th, 2012, 4:29 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: JK Rowling announces new book

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjc View Post
So do you guys think this book will have a midnight launch at bookstores? I really hope so as I only went to one midnight launch for Harry Potter.
I would hope so, it is Jo Rowling after all.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
So do you guys think this book will have a midnight launch at bookstores? I really hope so as I only went to one midnight launch for Harry Potter.
I don't think so. JKR is a very famous author - to make a massive understatement - but the release of an untried and untested book for adults simply might not garner the kind of hype associated with the release of a Harry Potter book. Harry Potter had midnight releases because fans already loved the characters and loved the story; fans know next to nothing about this new book.

It seems fans are falling into two categories: Fans who are super excited dispite not knowing the book's genre, story, characters or even title; or fans who are skeptical to cautiously optimistic who are waiting to see if the book strikes their fancy or falls into a genre they like or who are simply trying to not get their hopes up only to feel disappointed once they read the book and it's not what they expected.

I, too, only went to one midnight release - but what a release it was! In London, at the Picadilly Waterstones with news cameras, people decked out in full on costume - it was like Harry Potter Mardi Gras To a certain extent, though, I like that the midnight book releases of Harry Potter were precious, one of a kind events. It makes them more special.

Old March 5th, 2012, 7:12 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell View Post
I'm surprised at how few posts this thread still has . I thought that there would be more interest.
I just heard about it now. I don't know how I missed this announcement.

I'll say that I will buy it regardless of genre and topic. I just hope it's good. I really, really want it to be good so that she writes more and more.

It's interesting that it's for adults. I've learned recently that aside from obvious themes that separate YA and Adult, one thing that separates the classification is price point. YA books will be priced under $25. And adult fiction will be priced at $25 and up.

Harry Potter hard covers being the exception. But possibly because they knew adults were reading it as well as kids.

Quote:
I think that would depend on how the reviews for the book go. I think unlike the later HP books, this new one will have Advanced Reader Copies for the press and others in the book world.

Old March 5th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

That's interesting about the difference only being about price points. I hadn't known that.

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:35 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post

It's interesting that it's for adults. I've learned recently that aside from obvious themes that separate YA and Adult, one thing that separates the classification is price point. YA books will be priced under $25. And adult fiction will be priced at $25 and up.
I'm not sure I've ever come across ANY fiction at $25 or higher.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:02 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I'm assuming we're talking $25 per book because I've purchased box sets of things for more than $25 I've never paid more than $20 for a hardcover book and most recently shelled out $18 for a paperback - but I was in Canada so I was paying the Canadian price rather than the US price which is always cheaper - I just had to have that book then and there, there was no option to wait

Adult themes are very important in making the distinction between adult and young adult and I'd say that's where the line is drawn rather than just wanting to make more money. At this point, profits are probably not JKR's biggest motivator My guess is that she and her publishers are classifying it as adult because it includes adult themes or content deemed inappropriate for young adults.

Old March 6th, 2012, 12:12 am
Second Year

Oh wow $25 for one book? Besides Harry Potter I don't think I've paid more than $10 for a book (besides textbooks). If that's the case, I'm waiting until I can get it from the library. Or read it an BN.

Pet: Screech owl named Artemis

"...what is easy is often not right."
with a twist of but CoS says i'm
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:56 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
Really? I've seen quite a few King books hardcover that are usually 29.95. I think that's the highest I've seen a fiction book. I don't recall what the Millenium series were when I got the last one because it hadn't become paperback yet. I wonder what A Dance with Dragons is, I haven't looked at it yet. Regardless of price, I'd probably get it just because I couldn't stand to wait for it to come out in paperback, it takes to long and no way would I find it second hand so soon.

Old March 6th, 2012, 1:25 am
Seventh Year

I've known a few Stephen King novels to be about $25-$30. Generally though, I get my fiction at about $15-$25 range from Amazon.com. Or cheaper, if I buy from their market or I buy a paperback.

Looking forward to the knew Rowling novel. Should be interesting, that's for sure.

"No dictator... No invader... Can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the Universe, than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments, and tyrants, and armies cannot stand. Though it take a Thousand Years. We. Will. Be. Free." -- Citizen G'Kar, Babylon 5
Old March 6th, 2012, 2:33 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Given that the book's primary demographic is a general adult readership and not young fen, I seriously doubt it.

As for book prices, they are ludicrously expensive here (for various political reasons that don't bear going into). A mass market hardback will have a recommended retail of anything up to $50 and TPBs about $30.

Of course most bookshops have to cut prices on best-sellers to compete with discount stores. Which is why I usually go to Book Depository.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old March 6th, 2012, 7:37 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I'm assuming we're talking $25 per book because I've purchased box sets of things for more than $25
Yes, per book. Recommended retail hardcover - the actual price printed on the book, not the discount the store often gives.
Quote:
Adult themes are very important in making the distinction between adult and young adult and I'd say that's where the line is drawn rather than just wanting to make more money. At this point, profits are probably not JKR's biggest motivator My guess is that she and her publishers are classifying it as adult because it includes adult themes or content deemed inappropriate for young adults.
Yes, themes are the primary differentiator - but if you take a book like The Night Circus, which could go either way (YA or Adult Fiction), they priced the retail hardcover at $24.99 meaning that the publisher marketed it towards adult fiction. If you look at say, Michael Scott's next book The Enchantress, it's recommended retail price is $18.99 and will be placed in the YA section of a bookstore.

Old March 7th, 2012, 2:12 pm
Zonko's Employee

Whilst I like the HP books -- otherwise I wouldn't have been here for the past five years -- the series also makes me long for something much darker and more adult. If JKR can deliver that, I am definitely interested.

I think an adult readership will be much more critical, and have higher expectations of her writing, than her already existing (vast) fanbase.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; March 7th, 2012 at 2:14 pm. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old March 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
I didn't go to a single midnight book release so I'm definitely hoping for one, but I imagine it will depend on the demand and whether they think it's suitable. I mean plenty of adults wait up for midnight game releases and plenty of adults went to the midnight book releases, but I suppose if they want to distance it from Potter they might stay away from that idea. Still hoping they do though

I'll definitely be interested to see the figures when it becomes available to pre-order, just to see how much demand there'll be for this book!

I hope they release some more information about the book soon, it seems the excitement has died down for a while because there isn't much new information to discuss

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old March 13th, 2012, 9:08 pm
First Year

im so excited for the new book. Soo excited!

Accessed Pottermore: 8/1/2011

Pottermore Username: JinxOwl126
Old March 26th, 2012, 3:17 pm
First Year

So when do you think it'll be out? I would say this summer but it seems a bit soon now...

Old March 30th, 2012, 8:21 pm
Seventh Year

No I don`t think summer. Autumn is more likely.

Lets take a look: I remember Jo announcing the last book at Christmas, which came out early July. If that`s the normal time span I would say we should look out for it in September.

But she has a new publisher, maybe things work differently there.

Percy wouldn`t recognise a joke if it danced naked in front of him wearing Dobby`s tea-cosy.
Old March 31st, 2012, 12:47 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annett View Post
Lets take a look: I remember Jo announcing the last book at Christmas, which came out early July. If that`s the normal time span I would say we should look out for it in September.
Odds are late September-early October which is the time most publishers release their main titles for Christmas.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm
Fourth Year

The title, synopsis, and release date has been announced

http://www.littlebrown.co.uk/TheCasualVacancy

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:27 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Well I guess the name of the first character is easily to remember...

ETA: edited the thread title.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Last edited by Hes; April 12th, 2012 at 2:54 pm.
Old April 12th, 2012, 2:40 pm
Fourth Year

Re: JK Rowling's new book: The Casual Vacancy

^^ I've already seen someone comment that it's one letter off Harry

It sounds interesting enough, though I'd probably pass over it if it wasn't by JKR. It struck me that it's being released on a Thursday. It's probably not that unusual but I'm so used to the HP books being released on Saturdays that it seemed a little weird.

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live Again One shots
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction